Any Writers Out There?

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Any Writers Out There?

Post by BeanDip » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:45 pm

I have noticed that we have programmers, poets, artists, readers, musicians, cinemaniacs, zombie-slayers, dragon-keepers and much more.

So I have to ask: are there any writers out there?

As for myself, writing is pretty much the only thing I'm decent at. I mostly write short stories in the sci-fi, fantasy and especially horror genres but I've tried my hand at just about everything. Anyone else? :)
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

lingrem
Former Mod

Re: Any Writers Out There?

Post by lingrem » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:12 am

Yep there's a bunch of us who enjoy writing for various reasons. :)
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:50 am

You should check out Rating Wars II, that is a game for writers.
For my self I mostly write bad pieces of poetry.
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." - anonymous

friedkitty
Voices Opinions

Post by friedkitty » Thu May 09, 2013 12:28 pm

627 pages of Star Trek fanfiction, and 97 pages of a young adult/teen level scifi novel I can' t quite ever find time to work on.

But nothing actually published.

RJJ7
Of Few Words

Post by RJJ7 » Fri May 10, 2013 10:39 am

Trying to get a complete draft of a short, Young-Adult, fantasy novel done by the end of the month; ideally to be followed by editing and publishing. Hopefully I've learned enough in 3 years of self-teaching and research to pull it off.
If a collection of unpronounceable letters doesn't appeal to you, you may call me Randy.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Fri May 10, 2013 11:54 am

Would you be willing to post some of it? We had some people post part of their writings in the old forum so we could edit and review it. It might be beneficial if you can get some diverse viewpoints before you try to publish it.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Sun May 12, 2013 3:09 pm

I do tons of text role play... otherwise most of my writing is fleshing out worlds in my head that are likely to never see publication. I started a lot of 'novels' when I was much younger, but what always inevitably happened is that as I was writing I would make the mistake of going back to the beginning, and suddenly I would see a million things that I wished to change or reword. Of course, a large part of this is at the time my writing skill was growing by leaps and bounds AS I was writing... I suppose I simply never picked writing back up. :C

[edit]
Seconding what Sam said.

RJJ7
Of Few Words

Post by RJJ7 » Mon May 13, 2013 11:40 am

I actually would have no problem sharing stuff a little later on. However, I've heard that there are legal grounds for considering stuff posted on the web as having been "previously published". This can greatly reduced the desirability of your work in the eyes of publishers, or at the very least, give them leverage in the business negotiations. I haven't examined the legal implications myself, but until I do, I am erring on the side of caution with regard to putting stuff on the web.

That said, I'd be happy for all the feedback and opinions I can get; so I'll probably be investigating possibilities for getting it up where people can look at it.
If a collection of unpronounceable letters doesn't appeal to you, you may call me Randy.

adamtaa
Remains Silent

Post by adamtaa » Wed May 15, 2013 8:12 am

I write sci-fi and fantasy short stories sometimes. I tend to pattern much of my writing around worlds with a mix of technology and fantasy. I would be happy to contribute for forum review.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu May 30, 2013 9:27 am

*peeks into this thread* If you want writing, I think my Civ posts are more writing than one could ever handle in a single sitting and that's not counting the new writing "experiment" I have in the works for here...
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

RJJ7
Of Few Words

Post by RJJ7 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:16 pm

No dice on a finished draft. Ah well.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:05 pm

They say writing is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration. I have them backward.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Tayvin
Son of Maglubiyet

Post by Tayvin » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:21 am

I have been writing stories since I was like, twelve, maybe younger, very little actually completed but I'm working on changing that. I'm planning on becoming a full-fledged writer, mostly of science fiction because that's where most of my interesting ideas spring to, but if I come up with anything interesting that involves any other genre, I'll totally do it. I've been thinking of posting some of my short stories on the forum for people to read, comment, and enjoy, and working on setting up the foundations of a fanbase within the Goblins community.

YA HEAR THAT DAD!? I'M PLANNING ON STEALING YOUR FANS BWAHAHAHA!
Sometimes, it's good to be evil...

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:07 am

I'm sure he'd hear it better if you got a megaphone, hid in his closet and shouted into it on full volume as soon as he fell asleep.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

Tayvin
Son of Maglubiyet

Post by Tayvin » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:35 pm

Usually I'm asleep before he is, so that plan isn't gonna work, besides it's more fun if he doesn't realize what's going on until it's too late... >:D

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:57 am

We have a new fan fic subforum here in community. I guess the 2 concepts bebeind it are Goblins related, and since this is the internet can you really guarentee someon won't steal your story? But, if you can live with that, seems like you might have a built in community of writers and readers.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

Slings Words
Mutters to Themself

Post by Slings Words » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:43 am

This is me checking in as another resident writer of sorts
"We're so doomed!"
- Slings Words

Readers Clan Story Thread: Here
Readers Clan Fancomic: Risks and Side Effects
Readers Clan Fancomic 2: Heimspiel

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:50 pm

ThroughTheWell wrote:We have a new fan fic subforum here in community. I guess the 2 concepts bebeind it are Goblins related, and since this is the internet can you really guarentee someon won't steal your story? But, if you can live with that, seems like you might have a built in community of writers and readers.
the fan fic forum is hidden from bots and guests.. for what it's worth
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Tayvin
Son of Maglubiyet

Post by Tayvin » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:40 pm

ThroughTheWell wrote:We have a new fan fic subforum here in community. I guess the 2 concepts bebeind it are Goblins related, and since this is the internet can you really guarentee someon won't steal your story? But, if you can live with that, seems like you might have a built in community of writers and readers.
A Goblins fanfic? There's potential in that...

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:06 am

Tayvin wrote:A Goblins fanfic? There's potential in that...
Coming from you, this is incredibly hilarious....

(New avatar....not quite as funny as if the old one had been Dr. Who, and the new one was MLP and a Death Star...)
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.