If(YourSkills==ÔÇØProgrammingÔÇØ) Goto(Here);

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Re: If(YourSkills==ÔÇØProgrammingÔÇØ) Goto(Here);

Post by gamecreator » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:59 am

That page is only 5535 bytes. Not so big even for a phone. You only need to load it when browser starts and at the end of countdown (which you will probably do anyway to read the new page). And countdown script is unchanging, so you can load it from local file.

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:23 am

Why not just turn off images when checking the page, or does Chrome not have a handy way of doing that?

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:43 pm

So.. it does seem like we have a fair amount of programmers here.

Does anyone of you own the book:
Beginning
Java SE 6
Game programming
3rd ED.
By J. S. Harbour

And is so... would anyone be interested in doing some Co-reading (we agree to read X amount of pages and do the tasks in there. then talk back and forth, before doing so again)
-Best regards LAYF

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:36 am

I would advise against using java for game programming, unless you just want to make simple games, with the mind of probably making them small scale multiplayer too (and/or website embedded).

If you have "greatness" in your mind, then the hardest but arguably the best way would be C++.

If your main focus is internet publishing, then learn Flash programming (Action Script). It is much more popular than java, and probably better for this purpose too.

Sorry for the negative comment. I'm sure learning java for game programming could be a great start, but to "succeed" with game programming you should probably choose something else. :)

On a side note, java based games online tend to be actual "game portals" with multiple mini games together. playok.com was using java for long and wanted to mention it as an example, but it has switched to html5 since a while. BoardSpace.net could be a good example though, it has many interesting 2 player logic games, but it's not too popular, and not that good looking either. :)
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:30 am

Now.. I know that Java is a slow language, compared to Cpp, C# or even faster C(but lets keep to oop here)
But games such as Minecraft, Tribal Trouble, Runescape and Wurm online are good proves that Java can handle a lot... and for one man development, it can handle really much...
The Cpp/java war is loosing ground, as computers become faster and faster, yes, Cpp is faster, but it is also more complicated... so... just look at what the jmonkey engine can do.

Action script I already know. But aside form the ease at which it can be connected to graphics, its S"#¤.. its loosing ground and for good reason...

no thanks, I will keep to java for now.
-Best regards LAYF

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:38 am

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:But games such as Minecraft...
Yeah, that laggy, resource-greedy Minecraft. Way to go.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:20 am

gamecreator wrote:
LooksAtYouFunny wrote:But games such as Minecraft...
Yeah, that laggy, resource-greedy Minecraft. Way to go.
That's not really the point is it?
laggy? most common complaint I hear is "Oh no, it lags so much on my pc, but my friends pc that's not even half as good as mine runs it fine... whats wrong...." I have no problem unless I play with people with a bad connection or who lag themselves... resource-greedy, yes... it is, more than needed... but not to much for it not to run fine on many computers.

But what does that matter? its a one man product that is really popular... so... it made its goal, it's a good game... no matter how you put it...
-Best regards LAYF

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:12 am

Well, optifine exists for a reason.

Personally I don't like when people don't pay attention to optimization. Maybe part of that is that I can't affort high-end hardware, but mainly it's just a good form to optimize. I think it's disrespectful to gamers to do nothing about it, especially so in one-man projects, where developer is basically allmighty.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:28 am

True, but Optifine is also a good prof that it's not because of Java that the game is lagging for some..
And yes, one should optimize a program to the best of once abilities... at least before release... problems in alpha and beta is fine... but after that they all adds to annoyance...

but again... that was not so much the subject i was going into...

but to give a bit more info;

In the Army (where I am) we earn something called CU (Cevil uddandelse) or civil education... in base, it's doing so we will be able to take a civil education at full army pay instead of our normal state education support, making a difference between 1050$ and 4250$ a month (yes, the 1050/month everyone above the age 18 gets just for educating themselves, not a loan)

And I've decided that I'll use my CU starting either this or next summer to take a IT education (the expanded Data technician education with a special in programming taking 5 years)
and year 1 there is a lot of Java (and Cpp) programming to learn the basics of OOP and normal syntax.. and since I already have 2 Java books, I decided I wanted to do some pre education of myself. and wondered if others wanted to "join in" and make the tests together...
-Best regards LAYF

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:09 pm

I don't want to persuade you NOT to learn java, it is that in my opinion that language is not meant to be for cutting-edge games, or even so, nowadays gaming market does not really include it: you have console/smart phone games, standalone pc games and browser games. Java could be used for both standalone and browser games, but standalone games are generally written in C/C++ (faster), while browser games are dominated by flash (good visuals, easy-to-develop) and lately html5 or even javascript.

You see, it is a great thing that in java you do not have to personally take care of memory handling at a basic level, as the garbage collector will take care it for you. Which also results in that you don't have a direct control/knowledge of when a certain thing gets ridden of, which can result in sub-optimal performance. Yes, you can use optimizers and eventually learn how to write an optimal code, but the thing is it will be an actual hack/extension around the standard garbage collection, and might be a lot more troubling than if you did everything from the get go, like in C or C++. (Where of course the hard thing is to write a code that does not cause memory leaks.)

That being said, java is a relatively simple language that is great to learn programming, and there are a lot of resources (engines, libraries, tutorials) that help you with going on. It is just... well, if your aim is making games, you will see after a while that unfortunately java is just a "possible option", but far from the "best option", it's all what I'm saying.

I would gladly help you / join you, but at the moment I have some more troubling things to do (hence I'm not much around the forum), but will get back to you on the topic. I'm working as an Android developer which is a kind of Java, so I hope I can help you out here and there. :) I don't have the book you mentioned as I tend to learn new things "on the fly", but hopefully the tests won't be too hard to complete without reading the material, so feel free to post / ask anyway. :D
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:34 am

Double post + necromancing combo!
LooksAtYouFunny wrote: And I've decided that I'll use my CU starting either this or next summer to take a IT education (the expanded Data technician education with a special in programming taking 5 years)
and year 1 there is a lot of Java (and Cpp) programming to learn the basics of OOP and normal syntax.. and since I already have 2 Java books, I decided I wanted to do some pre education of myself. and wondered if others wanted to "join in" and make the tests together...
How is this and programming getting along? Have you started anything, yet? :)

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:15 am

Hello :)

Well, programming is coming along fine but really slow (had a break down some time ago that i still (and for a long time will) fight with to some degree, due to other stuff) but aside from that... all lessons I've completed have been without problems, the book has really good reference material and is well explained.. so thats a plus.. (actually the same series also has a c and a c++ game book... so maybe I'll look into that after this...
About the education I'll start in August this year... and have gained confirmation that I can start.. so thats great :)
-Best regards LAYF