Here Be Dragons

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
lingrem
Former Mod

Re: Here Be Dragons

Post by lingrem » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:36 am

Yeah, they seem to be what I can catch the best! Although I can now say that I've caught a paper, a cheese, and a chicken along with the silver and a thunder.
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:07 pm

Just reporting in that I've now caught my 12th CB Nebula! :)

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:22 pm

Bravo! That must look nice all together on the scroll.
I really ought to get back to hunting the caves instead of the AP, to continue lineages on my metals.
Image Joiiiiiin ussssssss.....

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:55 am

Does anyone want this eggy to carry on the lineage? It's a 3rd gen Water x Radiant Angel like we were talking about.

Claim my eggs/hatchlings!

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:25 am

Nikohl, you seem to be the most experienced in trading here. Can you tell about how valuable different species are usually considered to be? How growth stage (egg/hatchling) influences dragon's value?

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:39 am

Sure.

A few basic concepts:
Caveborns are almost always more valuable than non-caveborns.
Messy lineages are practically never wanted, unless people are specifically looking for a hatchling to freeze and don't care about the lineage
Hatchlings, when CB, are slightly more valuable than eggs, as people have more space for hatchlings.
Non-CB hatchlings are risky to trade with as you can never be sure whether they've been influenced, so you might trade a whole bunch for a nice shimmer and then have it gender wrong for the pattern. Ask for proof of influence (a screenshot usually) and if you're trading a hatchie, be prepared to offer proof too.

As for CB species value - Neglecteds are most valuable, usually costing at least one gold. Of the normal catchable eggs, golds are most valuable, followed by silvers, then coppers (right now). Below that level is, currently, coppers. Then there's unbreedables, trios and blusangs, then things like alt ridgewings and alt dorsals and golden wyverns. Most other things are only uncommon or common, and while often traded for and totally worth things to the right people, they're not rare enough to be consistently valuable trade fodder.

When it comes to bred eggs: A 2nd gen from an unobtainable-to-normal-people dragon, for example a 2nd gen shimmerscale, is basically price on demand. Some people trade for a few CB metals, some people only want to swap prizes. 3rd gens are a little more attainable, you can get them for a few coppers up to a few CB metals depending on the rarity of the line. Similarly, a 2g Thuwed (an egg sent to you from TJ, the site owner) is worth several CB metals. 4th gen shimmerscales... eh, they're depending on what the person who has it wants? I trade mine for coppers, other shimmers, unbreedables. 5th gens are not usually worth a metal, but you could probably get a 2g metal or two or an unbreedable or a handful of plain hatchies for one.

2g metals are usually swapped for other 2g metals among collectors, but can also go for a handful of uncommons/commons, an unbreedable etc - some people who are particularly keen on making checkerboard patterns will trade a CB for several 2nd gens instead, because the 2nd gens are more valuable to them.

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:25 am

Thanks! It will help me to determine just how much overkill I need to guarantee someone accepting my offer.

I just traded one CB gold and two CB silver eggs for three 2g PB pink hatchlings and now I understand that was probably too much. I could've got it with only one gold and one silver (and that person didn't have any CB golds or silvers among their >2k dragons anyway).

BTW I have leftover silvers if someone wants them: 1, 2. Otherwise I'll try to trade them for more pink hatchlings.

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:54 am

I'll gladly take one once my egg hatches.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:30 pm

Oh my gosh... whoever you gave a CB gold and two CB silvers to in return for three not-even-CB pinks...you have made their day. Three 2g pinks is worth maybe... a trio? a paper? on a good day. Certainly not even one metal. But hey, you probably made them really happy :D

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:47 pm

I would have gladly taken a silver as I don't have any, but they are already gone. :/

Nevertheless, I took the water dragon to continue the breeding! Is it female influenced, or do I have to do that too? :)

Also, I could always use some more pinks. :D
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:55 pm

It is not influenced, Looks, so you should do that. I took one of the silvers, but I have adult silvers already so you can have this one:

Edit: free eggs/hatchies:

shimmer egg
shimmer egg
yellow dino mature hatchling
chicken hatchling

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:03 pm

Yay! Took the silver. I leave the other goodies as I've already taken a lot lately. :D
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:17 pm

nikohl wrote:Oh my gosh... whoever you gave a CB gold and two CB silvers to in return for three not-even-CB pinks...you have made their day. Three 2g pinks is worth maybe... a trio? a paper? on a good day. Certainly not even one metal. But hey, you probably made them really happy :D
But what about their BSA? It's quite useful. And they were hatchlings (but I guess I might value hatchlings over eggs more, than others).
nikohl wrote:But hey, you probably made them really happy :D
Yeah, that's nice. :)
LooksAndSmiles wrote:I would have gladly taken a silver as I don't have any, but they are already gone. :/
If you need CB eggs, feel free to ask. Any time I look in your scroll, it's egg-blocked, so I am unable to plan to catch anything for you.

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:23 pm

Oh, GC: pinks, even hatchies, are muuuuch easier to come by than CB metals/rares. When I put a paper up I took a pink hatchie, a 2nd gen Red Stripe and a 2nd gen Soulpeace. CB metals are worth waayy more than that. A chicken+cheese wouldn't have been enough for a CB metal, possibly a blusang (I took a 2nd gen PB green copper for them, cause I liked it).

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:33 pm

I would have put BSA hatchies at one CB metal, especially as their lineage doesn't matter to many players. Now that I have enough I'll probably offer sets of pinks and reds for trade every once in a while. You're right though, that hatchies are almost always more desirable than eggs because they don't take up limited slots. The main exception is for valuable lineage trades, where the receiver will want the egg so they can influence it themselves (but a mature hatchling that has already gendered correctly is even better).

I took the bronze shimmer, because I already have a lady for him, and I don't have CB Arsanis to continue my other bronze's line. Thank you!

Looks, eggs lose influencing/incubating when traded, so even if nikohl had influenced it you would have had to do it again.

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:42 am

@GC: Oh, you actually check my scroll once in a while? That's nice! :D As for being egg-blocked, the thing is I pop 1-2 eggs every day or every second day, so yes I may seem blocked, but I can free up space quite quickly. (Even now I have 1 slot open)

@nikohl: I'd like to take that yellow dino then seeing noone has touched it yet. I Will wait 'til the afternoon, though. (If someone changes their mind in the mean time.)

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:33 pm

Does anyone here NOT have a cheese? Or want another one? Otherwise I'm going to offer it and the spring egg to various forums for a cb green copper.

I tend to glance at everyone's scroll once or twice a week to add views and clicks. And idly snoop, I suppose.

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:14 am

Wow, I can't believe it. All my tea hatchlings have gendered evenly. I suppose I can keep all four then.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:20 am

Red, Magi, gendered pair of pinks:

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:40 am

I snatched them - I'm always out of male pinks available to influence! lol. I never think to gender the pink eggs.

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:44 pm

Ok, so I've caught two Golden Wyverns and an Opal.

What on earth can I actually get for them? I really have no idea what on earth is reasonable to ask for those. One of the GW's has a cool code though (QUITZ)!

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:57 pm

Well, unless there's something specific you want, you can just post for "offers" and see what comes up! The DC forums also have several threads for trading. Pointing out the wyvern's code wouldn't hurt, some people like collecting by codes.

I really don't know what to suggest, since they're not super-rares and values are subjective anyway. For instance, I would rather have blusangs or even tsunamis than silvers, but in comparative rarity that's kind of silly.

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:16 am

I know I would keep a dragon with a fancy code... :D
Too bad I never catch anything remotely valuable so I can't trade either.

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:58 am

You can trade convenience for valuables. Like GC above, trade packs of BSA or uncommon hatchies for them. Then you can either swap THOSE, or keep a breeding stock to trade from.

Or get some from us! :)

Edit: You DO have shinies on your scroll!

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:48 am

Gryphonic wrote: Edit: You DO have shinies on your scroll!
Yes, and all of them are N gen randoms that I have been recieved from nikohl and GC mostly (I guess they are the 90% of my shinies), or as a random gift from the forum. I never caught anything. (Only a CB golden wyvern from the AP, but that's not much worth.)

I'm not complaining, I'm just stating I never catch anything. :D