Username Explanations

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
willpell
Banned

Re: Username Explanations

Post by willpell » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:53 am

I can out-random you on that one...when you mentioned using ink to fuel a starship, it made me think of both Grant Morrison's "The Filth", in which "The Ink brings things to life", and of a really bizarre tribute comic to Gil Kane, whose origin I cannot recall but it was all about how Kane was this astronaut in a starship that flew through swirling colors of ink instead of through space. For that matter, you could probably throw Shade, the Changing Man in with the entire shtick.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

mnementh
Former Mod

Post by mnementh » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:02 am

:lol:

mnem
Besides...The ink is alive... we cannot contain it.

Thysanoptera
Remains Silent

Post by Thysanoptera » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:28 pm

I work in horticulture and I really like bugs. Thysanoptera is the name of the order of bugs commonly called Thrips. While there are some varieties that are beneficial (eating other bugs, fungus spores etc.) most of them are teeny tiny nasty little buggers who ruin leaves, flowers and spread viruses, especially in nurseries. They're very hard to see and almost impossible to keep out or get rid of. They also are attracted to the color blue. Mostly I just like the name, but I'm also hard to get rid of or keep out and I like the color blue. Also, I'm new, so "Hi!"

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:10 pm

Hay for hello! :D

And welcome to the forum little bug... be aware that we have other residents the size of dragons because... well... they are dragons... So if they don't see you its no offence, just the size difference....

Best regards -LAYF
-Best regards LAYF

StudiesTheMind
Remains Silent

Post by StudiesTheMind » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:52 pm

Quite a short story: I wanted a name like a goblin fortune teller would give out. I thought about which of my traits would make a good name and then I settled on the fact that I study psychology.
:D

Thrandr Demonkin
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Thrandr Demonkin » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:01 am

Thrandr was the name of my first D&D character. Originally he was a dwarf cleric, but at some point I misplaced my character sheet and forgot that he was a dwarf when re-creating it, so he turned into an elf overnight. The rest of the group looked at me rather strangely the next time we met and I started boasting of my elven ancestry to some bad guy...

Demonkin stems from the demon which was a part of Thrandr's soul - kept in check by Thrandr being mind-wiped by the church of Pelor now and then, and spells imprisoning it and enforced by Thrandr doing good deads. Quite typical for a first character, I'd imagine :-)

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Post by Tofu » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:06 am

Named after the worst meal of my life - a fermented bean curd product called, when translated, 'stinky tofu' but I chose not to stay that name and shortened it jus t to tofu. Will change again to something else. Not wedded to the name.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:06 am

Why would you want to name yourself after that? Totally fine if you want to. I'm just curious.

Also, as a heads up: the forum does not give you a way to change your username. The admins can do it by special request, but it's very rare and usually requires good reason.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:09 am

WearsHats wrote:Why would you want to name yourself after that? Totally fine if you want to. I'm just curious.

Also, as a heads up: the forum does not give you a way to change your username. The admins can do it by special request, but it's very rare and usually requires good reason.
By good reason, he means REALLY good reason, like life or death or you're being chased by a pack of angry, web-based honey badgers or something.

We've only done it once.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:53 am

WearsHats wrote:Also, as a heads up: the forum does not give you a way to change your username. The admins can do it by special request, but it's very rare and usually requires good reason.
This incarnation of forum won't last forever. ;)

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:29 am

And you could always re-register and continue under a new name.
Ain't I right, "Composted Tofu"?
(composting is IMHO the best use for tofu...)
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:47 am

Krulle wrote:(composting is IMHO the best use for tofu...)
Composting? Nope. Shape it into little balls and let it harden. Makes the best sling shot ammo. :lol:
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:53 pm

"Sling shot ammo" would also be a nice username...

"Grew enough mold to be considered intelligent"
"forgotten in the fridge"

Oh, I think we can come up with plenty more....

*I am such a bad behaving person*

MaleficPresence
Of Few Words

Post by MaleficPresence » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:11 pm

I picked mine cause LurksInShadows was copyrighted by Hillary Clinton.
Neo-evil is still evil. Im just sayin....

Hobgoblin
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Hobgoblin » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:01 am

When a daddy hobo and a mommy goblin love each other very much, they cuddle and hold very tight, until it's born a little Hobgoblin child!
(my little webcomic)

Download the FREE teaser for A Clockwork Paranoia HERE

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:29 pm

► Show Spoiler
My name is Krulle, an abbreviation for "krullebol", a Dutch word for someone with curly hair.
So, now you also know a bit about my appearance...
Last edited by Krulle on Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:23 pm

I made my way to the internet in the mid 90s when I was a young'un, and for my handle I just used my favourite X-Man at the time; never bothered changing it. (Sadly he was pretty kickass and was destined to be one of the strongest mutants ever, so Marvel killed him off in the late 90s :( )

When playing online games or D&D I usually just use some sort of variation eg Syn, Synoch etc

The 1 Up mushroom as my avatar? I just think its one of the best iconic images from video gaming and it represents life, and I like green :D I've actually got it tattooed on my wrist, to remind me to enjoy life :)

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:13 pm

Okay guys, this is supposed to be a friendly thread for getting to know each other and sharing trivia about our online personas. Please take this to PMs or to the "This is not the blog either" thread where Malefic is already complaining about the mods and the community, just to keep it contained.

As for my username, I like drawing fantasy creatures, and since I was a kid gryphons have been my favorite. I experiment with different types, from the classic stuck-together lion-and-eagle (for which I use "griffin") to more serious how-would-this-work-in-real-biology anatomy (which I write as "gryphon"). Then my speculation goes into what their anatomy would indicate about their behavior, and if intelligent, their personality.
So in fantasy-themed online settings I often use a gryphon motif, though usually it's the name of one I've written in a collaborative story with a friend, and then adapted to a party member in the SNES platform rpg I'm making.

I'll make an avatar image eventually; I just haven't decided what it will be or in what art style.

If I had thought ahead of time about Goblins-themed names, I would have taken Ponders Details. ;)
Image Joiiiiiin ussssssss.....

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:42 pm

[mod="lingrem"]Just a post to point out that many other posts were removed and merged into "This is not a blog".[/mod]
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:02 pm

You forgot some on the previous page (starting from here).

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:07 pm

Thanks gc - I thought I had got those but apparently I can't select things from two different pages to move at once! lol
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:34 am

Two things:
- thanks Lin.
- I didn't know there was an
Off Topic
tag. Cool.... :D (I posted the post yesterday, but didn't read it afterwards...)

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:20 am

My name origin is quite simple, it's the name given to me by my parents. I despise different usernames than my real one, because I always end up embarrassed months or years later. I am quite proud of my name since it's a name used in my family for hundreds of years, so I refuse to hide behind a different username than Guus.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:58 am

Are you Dutch, Guus?

(Guus, kom nar huus)

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:07 pm

As a matter of fact, I am ;-)
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.