D&D Rules Question Thread

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
willpell
Banned

D&D Rules Question Thread

Post by willpell » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:12 pm

I thought it would be a good idea to create something for this forum similar to the GiantITP thread "Simple Question by D&D RAW". How it works is pretty simple: You post your question with a number attached, then when someone wants to answer that question, they use the number, thereby avoiding the need to quote the entire post (there, post quotes contain an upstream link, so doing it there is still useful, but wastes space on the board; here it's even more unadviseable).

Assume that all questions refer to D&D 3.5 unless marked otherwise. If enough people want to ask about different rulesets, it might be advisable to create other threads, or to further compartmentalize this one. But for the moment, my experience tells me that 3.5 is the ruleset which generates the most questions and discussion, plus it's the one I use and I'm starting the thread. :-P

Here's my question to start us off:

Q1
If you have a BAB of +6 or more, and you're wielding two weapons or a double weapon, can you make three attacks during a full attack action? In what order? (It might matter if you have effects triggered when you attack, such as Cleave.)

Example: I have an Orc Double Axe and am proficient with it, but I do not have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat. Therefore, if my BAB is 5 and my Strength bonus is +3, a single attack has a +8 bonus and can be done as a standard action, but if I take a full attack, I can swing twice with a -4/-8 penalty on the main and off-hand attacks, so my total attack is made at at +4(m)/+0(o) - the (m) attack gets +3 damage for my Strength, while the (o) gets only +1 since it's my off hand. Once I increase my BAB to 6, I can still use the two-weapon fighting technique to attack at +5(m)/+1(o), but I also get another attack with a -5 penalty, which is another (m) attack for +3 damage. So is my attack routine +5(m)/+0(m)/+1(o), or +5(m)/+1(o)/+0(m)?
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

willpell
Banned

Re: D&D Rules Question Thread

Post by willpell » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:20 am

Another thing I'm not clear on offhand.

Q2
If a character multiclasses between psionic and non-psionic characters, do his non-psionic levels increase the amount of power points he gains for having a high key attribute? EG a level 3 Psion with 18 INT has 6 power points as a result of his INT. If he adds a level of Wizard, does he add 2 more power points? Table 2-1 in the XPH lists the bonus power points as being "by class level", not "by level in manifesting classes", so it's not clear.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

SccrD25
Likes to Contribute

Post by SccrD25 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:41 am

Q3

Something I've always found interesting to see how different DMs handle: How do you do tearing damage? Like drawing and quartering someone, or 'helping' them http://www.goblinscomic.com/10302012/

A2

No they would not increase. You can multiclass different kinds of Psi classes and pool those points but point increases only come from your Psi class, bonus power points from a high ability score and feats/etc. They make that "by class level" mistake/unclairity in a lot of the books.
At some point I should really come up with a clever signature

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:07 pm

SccrD25 wrote:A2

No they would not increase. You can multiclass different kinds of Psi classes and pool those points but point increases only come from your Psi class, bonus power points from a high ability score and feats/etc. They make that "by class level" mistake/unclairity in a lot of the books.
The bonus power points for a high ability score are what I'm asking about. It only increases when you take psionic class levels?

On a related note, what happens if you multiclass between two psionic classes with the same key ability? For instance, an Ardent 1 / Psychic Warrior 1. If he has 18 Wisdom, each of those single class levels would give him +2 power points; two levels in either class would give him +4. By multiclassing, does he stack the two classes together and get 4, get 2 for them each individually and again total 4, or apply his total class level of 2 for both classes and count it twice, gaining 8?
My long-neglected blog.

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:33 pm

willpell wrote:By multiclassing, does he stack the two classes together and get 4, get 2 for them each individually and again total 4, or apply his total class level of 2 for both classes and count it twice, gaining 8?
Class level = level in a particular class
Character level = total level of the character = sum of all class levels

Looked like there's a misunderstanding of the precise terms there.