Order of the Stick

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Re: Order of the Stick

Post by redfeather » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:48 pm

Well, that was an eye-opener.....

(Also, while Rich's comment was amusing, Tipadaknife was either being very ignorant, or was intentionally doing a bit, which IMO should not have been done, because some percentage of the people on Twitter are probably dumb enough to actually believe this. Once upon a time, anybody who was playing D&D would have been "in the know" enough to understand what Mimic lore was actually all about, but these days they'll let just anyone play, so you can no longer count on knowledgeable grognards to keep the record straight.)

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:45 am

Update notification_:

Page 1239 - Saur Loser https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1239.html

Sending arrows into the dark may not be efficient. But better than doing nothing. :(
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:56 am

Crap. I was hoping for Bloodfeast, too.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:33 am

update notification!
Page 1240 - Gritty Realism

Well done, Elan!

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:04 pm

Aw, man! Still no Bloodfeast!

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:44 pm

update notification!
Page 1241 - Sunnyside Down

Is that a handy random spell casting?

And what would no.8 be?

Yikes!

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:34 pm

My son says it's probably disintegrate.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:49 pm

Would fit,
So they definitely want to capture the OotS alive.

redfeather
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by redfeather » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:08 pm

I didn't notice until I went back and looked, but this particular Thing-With-The-Eyes is consistently drawn with eight eyestalks, rather than the ten you might expect from some other corporation's intellectual property. So there are three possibilities for what #8 does - Disintegrate is certainly an option, but so is Inflict Moderate Wounds, and most of all Finger of Death. Interestingly, this means that the TWTE has both Charm Person and Charm Monster on separate eye rays, despite how redundant this is. We can presume that there's a Charm on Elan to make him want to surrender, and another one on Mr. Scruffy which has him attacking Belkar, while Belkar is Feared, Minrah Sleeped, Durkon petrified (only slightly preferable to being killed), V slowed, and Haley's bow snatched away with Telekinesis. That is indeed very effective targeting, but an important thing to keep in mind is that while 5E rules have the Ten-Eye Thing determine its available eye rays randomly, OOTS is still a 3.5 strip after all these years, and in that edition, the Thing has total control of what eye ray it aims where, as long as they're all within a sufficiently broad spread. So by scattering to avoid the antimagic cone, the party made itself particularly vulnerable to the eye beams. It's almost as if Serini and Sunny have been practicing this....

I'm really having a hard time seeing how the party gets out of this. They're down three members already (four if you count Minrah), and the ones that are still up are not exactly known for their confidence. Belkar has already pulled off the save once, against Durkula, so I'm betting it's going to be Elan and/or Haley who pulls this one off, but I really don't see how. Elan has been very friendly, and Sunny is clearly responding to that, but Serini's bond is almost certainly too strong for him to overcome that way. Unless Thor steps in or Bloodfeast somehow wangles a de-polymorph on its own lizard intelligence, this definitely looks like a TPK (or TP-Mindwipe) scenario. Maybe Xykon busting in could stop her plan from going off, but that's hardly an improvement with the party in their current state. The next few days or weeks are going to be a tough wait....

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:31 am

Page 1242: Area of Affect

Calm down.

Interesting approach.

Hope_Caswell
Of Few Words

Post by Hope_Caswell » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:22 am

Emotionless Belkar is ironically hilarious. OOTS as a strip has really made me appreciate the roleplaying potential of all the various mind-affecting spells and such.

Sadly, the Order is pretty much spending their entire round undoing the effects of Sunny's full salvo...and there's nothing to stop him/her/it from just doing the same thing again next round, assuming we don't just go back to antimagic. With V down and Durkon probably impossible for this party to unpetrify, I can't think of much of anything that has a chance of ending this encounter in the party's favor.

I do wonder why Haley is still trying to shoot at the Thing-With-The-Eyes, which she has to know has more HP than she or even the entire party can hope to erode in a round or two. I was rather expecting that she'd bust out a Dispel Magic wand or something to undo several of these assorted debuffs with a single action, but maybe she can't risk standing still long enough to concentrate on a UMD check?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:29 am

I wonder why Serini is not going for a kill.
It seems to me she has an ulterior motive, and actually wants to keep them alive.

Hope_Caswell
Of Few Words

Post by Hope_Caswell » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:01 am

Krulle wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:29 am I wonder why Serini is not going for a kill.
It seems to me she has an ulterior motive, and actually wants to keep them alive.
Serini isn't a killer, although I would argue that she's hypocritical. She's willing to passively allow Xykon to kill dozens if not hundreds of people, and then enslave and torture and otherwise mistreat thousands of other people for years at a time, all because she believes the alternative is to risk the world being destroyed. But she doesn't want blood on HER hands, so she has amnesia potion instead of using lethal measures (such as Sunny's #8 ray).

Hope_Caswell
Of Few Words

Post by Hope_Caswell » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:49 pm

Page 1243: Rogue Up, Rogue Down

Woohoo! Go Haley! Now hopefully Belkar can very laconically get a knife pressed against her throat, forcing Sunny to surrender, and we'll finally have this encounter sorted. Perfect opportunity for Elan to then talk the both of them into switching sides and helping against Xykon.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:45 am

Yeah, this page was satisfying to read.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:28 pm

Yay Haley! :confetti:

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:24 am

Sorry, a load of shit coming up on page 1244: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1244.html - Maxxed Concentration

Well done, Haley.

Hope_Caswell
Of Few Words

Post by Hope_Caswell » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:11 am

It's been a while since we've had a good toilet joke in this comic. XD

Also, this is strip 1244, which makes me think of 12 squared, or 144, which is "one gross". Fortunately, the Giant didn't go too far on this one.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:57 am

He'll keep that for page 1248 ....

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:42 pm

update notification!

page 1245: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1245.html - Sales Boom Imminent

Nobody remembered who prepared and decided on the venue of this fight?

Hope_Caswell
Of Few Words

Post by Hope_Caswell » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:33 pm

I call BS that Serini was surprised by this attack and yet happened to have a piercer in exactly the right place to drop straight down onto the woman who was grappling her. Even if literally the entire ceiling is encrusted with dozens of Piercers and she has their names memorized, can she really have covered every single square (or Hex, if there's a green hag somewhere in the dungeon) of this room?

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:43 pm

Update:

1246 - Hole in the Wall

I'm starting to get annoyed with Serini. Really annoyed.

Hope_Caswell
Of Few Words

Post by Hope_Caswell » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:42 pm

I'm having a very hard time getting a read on Sunny's personality here. Before it seemed pretty clear, but this strip is quite confusing, particularly the exchange at the end. Still, I'm hoping Elan can pull this one off with pure Charisma+Perception, no magic required, to get the Eye-Thing to realize they're not enemies after all.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:59 am

Update notification:

Page 1247 - Lurking Below https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1247.html

Nom Nom Nom.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator