Tales from my D&D campaign (A youtube show about D&D)

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
DoodleMoogle
Speaks Quietly

Tales from my D&D campaign (A youtube show about D&D)

Post by DoodleMoogle » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:57 am

I'm not sure if this topic should be in the Cinemaniacs section of the forums, but for the time being I'll make this topic here in the harsh wilderness that is
the general community section. Mods can yell at me if this isn't an appropriate place for this. :?

Sometime last spring I was searching for things to kill time with, preferrably D&D related. The everlasting curse of being an avid fantasy and D&D nerd.
I've watched many recorded playthroughs of D&D games. The Penny arcade D&D games they run annually at PAX. Listening to people tell stories about their games.
It's all great fun, but unfortunately it has been harder and harder to find things I haven't already listened to and/or watched.
This is when I stumbled upon a little known Youtube series that goes by the name "Tales From My D&D Campaign"
Tales From My D&D Campaign is a "animated" Youtube series about a D&D campaign (Duh) that follows a party of adventurers as they work towards their various goals throughout their adventures.
You may have noticed animation was in apostrophies in the previous sentence. This leads me to one of my worries I had from my first impressions of the series.

I was skeptical of the quality at first. This came from the creators (Who goes by the name of Demonac) choice of visual represantation for the series.
The show is an abridged retelling of Demonacs D&D groups adventures, represented in a simplistic vector art style. That is the best way to describe the art.
I was originally a little put off by the art style, but from previous experiences I decided to look past the art and give the story itself the chance to show its stuff.

I'm glad I did.
Tales From My D&D is a captivating experience that came out of nowhere.
The best part of series by far is the in depth world that Demonac has clearly worked hard on.
The history of his world is fascinating and puts an interesting spin on many staple D&D races. Not to spoil anything, but one of the most important aspects of the worlds history is the rise of the Kuo-Toa empire.
Sounds insane, right? An obscure D&D race of fishmen forming an empire. Well, in Demonacs D&D world the Kuo-Toa have taken over the entire ocean. Enslaving the other aquatic races and discovering immensily powerful alchemical weapons.
This leads to the current situation of the D&D game, where the Kuo-Toa empire is in a tense cold war like standstill with the land nations who are now the next ones on the empires hit list now that the ocean is under their rule.
The only thing keeping the massive empire from wiping out the land nations is a split in the empire that has left the Kuo-Toa empire unwilling to attack the land nations in case the defectors decide to attack their original faction.

I could go on length about this show, but I think the best way for you to know if you're interested in this kind of thing is to just give it a chance and see for yourself.
The first episodes are a little rough, but I personally found the quality has been rising exponentially and is at this point very entertaining.
This show is criminally underrated and I urge you to share it if you think you know people who might enjoy it.

I will put a link to the playlist here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2971j1O ... LfitPCdJEN

Hope you'll enjoy this.
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: Tales from my D&D campaign (A youtube show about D&D)

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:33 pm

Just started watching it today, as background while working on grading (which means I only see the art peripherally). It's a well told story, with quite a bit of interesting world building apparent.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

DoodleMoogle
Speaks Quietly

Post by DoodleMoogle » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:25 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:Just started watching it today, as background while working on grading (which means I only see the art peripherally). It's a well told story, with quite a bit of interesting world building apparent.
At least somebody got something out of this post. I made this thread a while ago when I felt the need to advertise an underrated youtube series.
The thread kind of went unnoticed so it felt like I was giving a speech to an all seeing and judging crowd who simply watched me embarrass myself.
As long as someone gives the show a chance I'll be satisfied.
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:04 pm

I've since watched all the episodes, and am most of the way through the extras.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:09 am

I started watching. It doesn't seem to have much "viral" potential, but it's sure fun to hear about someone else's campaign. I've watched the first five, will probably watch the rest later.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

DoodleMoogle
Speaks Quietly

Post by DoodleMoogle » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:38 am

Guus wrote:I started watching. It doesn't seem to have much "viral" potential, but it's sure fun to hear about someone else's campaign. I've watched the first five, will probably watch the rest later.
I agree it's probably never going to be huge, but I think it's just perfect for the type of people who frequent these forums. Demonac, the DM is really imaginative and makes the game exciting. Makes for good entertainment. :)
► Show Spoiler