Music preference of goblin fans

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
Guus
Floods your Ears

Re: Music preference of goblin fans

Post by Guus » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:13 pm

Trailer music? As in movie promo's or trailer park music? :P
As far as movie soundtracks go: I absolutely adore the themes of the Gladiator, especially when played by Wibi Soeriadi (I'm pretty sure I spelled his last name wrong, but Wibi+Gladiator should do the trick on google, and it's definitely worth it!).
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

bknabe
Mutters to Themself

Post by bknabe » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:55 pm

nikohl wrote:Motley Crue, Skid Row... Bon Jovi if you don't consider them a bit weak.

Steel Panther, if you like parodies.
I had a bad experience with Motley Crue once. But aside from that, my likes are pretty eclectic. Contemporary Christian, Rock, Metal, R&B, Hip Hop, Country, Classical (and all the things commonly referred to as Classical that are really something else), I like a little of everything.

Benbo231
Of Few Words

Post by Benbo231 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:20 am

In terms of personal listening, I'm willing to listen to pretty much anything anyone's willing to put on. Variety's the spice of life, no? Rock, classical, trailer music, country, if you turn on the Pandora channel, I'll listen!

Still, nothing will ever change my opinion that the Pacific Rim soundtrack is the single most flawless movie soundtrack I've heard.

As for music to play during your D&D campaign, you won't find anything better than the "Knights of Badassdom" OST. It was a good movie, but it had GREAT music.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:36 pm

Hey, if any of you guys like Death Metal, can you go give a thumbs up to my friend's little brother's band? And go easy on them. I've known the drummer since before his mom was pregnant with him. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBf1kM0 ... ata_player

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Thu May 01, 2014 4:43 am

I liked it. Not to listen to when I'm doing anything other than moshing at a metalfest, but I liked it.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu May 01, 2014 7:53 pm

Cool. I'm not much into death metal, so I don't have anything to really compare it to. And to me it sounds like the basement at their house. LOL. Makes it hard for me to gauge how they're doing.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Fri May 02, 2014 8:34 am

Well, it's a pretty good recording, not the standard chaotic garage sound you'd expect.
That womb boy certainly likes his double bass :P

Anyhoo, I suspect a few friends of mine would really enjoy this, I'll send it to them.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sat May 03, 2014 1:07 am

Thanks! :D

Mec
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Mec » Tue May 06, 2014 2:00 pm

Count me in for Def Leppard and similar hair metal bands.

http://www.goblinscomic.org/06012007/
Sergeant Bremick would look really good in a band!

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Tue May 06, 2014 9:49 pm

And wet-haired Grem! http://www.goblinscomic.org/06072011/ Probably not the same band, though.

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Thu May 08, 2014 6:34 pm

Ah, a full archive dive of Simon and Garfunkel produced this truly ancient gem about happy sunsets:
Simon & Garfunkel- The Sun Is Burning (YouTube link)
[Although for all I know someone just covered it like some of the other S&G tunes have been. Also, not actually about happy sunsets.]

Arthric
Remains Silent

Post by Arthric » Fri May 09, 2014 3:33 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUzVCw8BEXA

Big fan of metal, house, most classic rock, classical. Been listening to a lot of DeadMau5 lately.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Fri May 09, 2014 3:45 pm

DrinksTooMuchCoffee wrote:Ah, a full archive dive of Simon and Garfunkel produced this truly ancient gem about happy sunsets:
Simon & Garfunkel- The Sun Is Burning (YouTube link)
[Although for all I know someone just covered it like some of the other S&G tunes have been. Also, not actually about happy sunsets.]
:waitwtf:

WTF did I just listen to? Damn, that was morbid. :shock: Pretty, but morbid. Kind of like Drusilla from Buffy.

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Sat May 10, 2014 6:43 pm

RocketScientist wrote:WTF did I just listen to? Damn, that was morbid. :shock: Pretty, but morbid. Kind of like Drusilla from Buffy.
Another song on the album (Sparrow) is similar with a WTF that leaves, at least me, suddenly simultaneously sad and angry. @#$%ing anthropomorphic plants and animals. You all can die and go to hell! >:(
Okay, here's an upbeat S&G tune, without any suicides, alienation, lost loves, regrets (all that and more in Sounds of Silence! Buy Now!) or any deaths, just a little trouble with the law: "Keep the Customer Satisfied". Guess that's R&B with a horn section, and a bit of an earworm for me. "Everywhere I go I get slandered, (*blat*) Libeled (*blat*). I hear words I never heard in the Bible...". Just well-crafted all around, IMO, although it's missing a bridge. :) (That's a pun because the album is Bridge Over Troubled Water.)

Spoiled since I wrote so much. Roger Waters' (of Pink Floyd) solo stuff.
► Show Spoiler

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sat May 10, 2014 11:35 pm

The Sound of Silence gets stuck in my head for days on end sometimes. Such a brilliant song. Same with Bowie's Life On Mars. I don't think music does that kind of brilliance much any more. *insert rant here about commercially cranked out Disney-pop music that plays to the lowest common denominator* /old person

Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles
UStream Username: Zathyr

Post by Zathyr » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:42 pm

So I've recently run into the band No More Kings and they're quickly moving up the ranks of my music to groove to. Geek rock with a dose of funk. Not for everyone, I'm sure, but there's probably enough D&D fans around here to appreciate a Critical Hit. :D
Image And always make sure your dragons are happy little dragons.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:38 pm

Dat synth!
Made me think of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi-ZIOmB6EM.
Which is a great insult to what you posted, but it did put a smile on my face :P

EDIT: Warning, very, VERY foul language!

Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles

Post by Zathyr » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:43 pm

That particular album is heavy on the synth and funk, but they have plenty of other mellower songs. This one is the first I heard of theirs, and it's a very different style but I fell in love with the song. I was watching the last season of Psych in Netflix and it was playing in the end credits of an episode, and I just had to look it up.

T-RexWithTourettes
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: TrexWithTourettes

Post by T-RexWithTourettes » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:24 pm

I've hung out with a very wide and weird variety of people so I have had the pleasure of enjoying a very wide and weird variety of music.

In no particular order, I greatly enjoy listening to all these gross things:
Rap/hip-hop, metal, classical, electronic (EDM, brostep, chillstep), metalcore, soundtracks. I listen to all of these with equal fervor.

The only genres I particularly dislike are pop-punk, hardcore, and country, but even country I can stomach.
What I really do enjoy though is artists who go outside of an easily-labeled genre.
I am high in fructose.

MandalorTeSiit
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by MandalorTeSiit » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:55 pm

I tend to like soundtrack music. Movies, video games, and most recently, this... webcomic thingy. There's not many genres I dislike (I generally prefer instrumental to vocal music, but with many exceptions), but I really like music I can associate with a good story.

gilleyvanweirden
Mutters to Themself

Post by gilleyvanweirden » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:18 am

I like all sorts of music. What I'm listening to often just depends on what I'm doing. Driving is usually classic rock because I have two different stations I can switch back-and-forth. When I draw I almost always listen to Echo and the Bunnymen and Oingo Boingo. Their music just puts me in "that place" where I can work with extreme focus. When just bopping around the house doing chores I'll put practically anything on. Lately i've been listening to Postmodern Jukebox.

Wesley Foxx
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Wesley Foxx » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:56 pm

I like all kinds of stuff as long as it has a good beat. But I don't know music genres for shit, so I'll just throw some youtube and bandcamp recommendations out for y'all.

-The Pillows, my absolute favorites being Hybrid Rainbow and Crazy Sunshine from the FLCL soundtracks. I don't care that I don't speak Japanese whatsoever, it sounds AMAZING. (And so is the anime for that matter)
-The Real Tuesday Weld, which I haven't really listened to all their stuff but what I have I love. Sort of a jazz throwback for a bunch of it. Old Brazil, Bathtime in Clerkenwell and its sequel, Show Must Go On, Terminally Ambilalent Over You and Me and Mr Wolf
-Pogo. The guy's basically made himself his own genre out of constructing songs almost entirely out of samples, most of them only a fraction of a second long, creating entire notes and instruments out of voices and soundeffects and whatnot. He's done a ton of Disney (including Alice, Toy Story and Mary Poppins) but also including stuff like Willy Wonka or just the world around him (This one's my favorite. <3)
-Fredde Gredde. Oh my god, I freaking LOVE this guy's progressive rock stuff. Seriously, listen to Lonely Starlight. Crank up the volume and rock out to it. It's from his album, Thirteen Eight, and it was written in 13/8 time. And its *epic*. And that dude is seriously playing everything but the drums himself. And if you watch his medleys you'll see he's also skilled with the accordion on top of all that.
------------------------------------------

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:44 am

I wondered if such a topic as this existed. I recently got my music interest back from storage due to certain situations which made it a requirement. (Theres a guy who talks too much and chews with his mouth open at work, I tend to put my earbuds in, do my work and forget anyone else exists.)

All of that being said, I have started a few stations on IheartRadio but would be interested in other bands/music that others might think I would be interested in based on the bands I'm about to list.

Techno: (Guru Josh Project - This was what I based the station around), Technotronic, Haddaway, Deee-Lite, Erasure,

Rock: Imagine Dragons - Radioactive <-- (This is what I based the Station Around), Mumford & Sons (Fav song - Little Lion man), The Monster and Me, Bastille, Fun, Fall Out Boy,

If anyone knows any really good bands that you think may fall into one of the lists above, I would love to check them out. Thanks.

Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles

Post by Zathyr » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:37 pm

Your techno list I would probably label as more pop than techno. How do you feel about Pet Shop Boys?

I've been a fan of Pogo for a while now - I meant to geek out about it with Wesley when it was mentioned, but I guess I never posted that.. Personal faves are the other Mary Poppins one and one from Up, but really they're all good. :) And now I realize why I probably never posted this as I pop back into this tab after poking around on youtube for entirely too long..

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:37 am

I still very much advice The Cat Empire to listen to while working or whatever. It's energetic enough to get you going, but not too energetic too distract you to much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b57jvuXLGiU

Plus, as long as you avoid their "let's cover our own songs" album called "The Sun", just about anything they play is pretty awesome.