Help? Problems with Photoshop

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Help? Problems with Photoshop

Post by Amara » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:52 am

Wasn't sure where else to shove this. It's art related, but didn't really belong in the actual section for that, aaaaaaaaaas I'm not actually producing art here.

So, I've had issues for a while with Photoshop randomly no longer recognizing my tablet's drivers. I thought the issue was with my tablet (or its drivers,) for a while, especially as reinstalling the drivers in question always seemed to fix it. This issue with Photoshop continued once I updated to CS6, so I continued to assume it was simply more evidence piling up that I needed a new tablet.

Photoshop no longer recognizes my tablet drivers at all. And it's only Photoshop. Open Canvas recognizes tilt, pressure, etc, flawlessly. As does ArtRage. Now, I prefer to sketch in OC anyway, and ArtRage is better for painting, so I suppose it's not an outright emergency, but I cannot figure out how to fix this issue with Photoshop, and it's making texturing / modeling work in general a pain, not to mention when I do have photos that need touching up, or need to paint a new map for roll20...

Does anyone know what might work? I've tried searching through solutions online, and what I've tried so far and seen suggested hasn't worked. Uninstall and reinstall drivers? Check. Reinstall CS6? Naturally, I've already tried that. I've even seen suggestions and claims that starting CS6 by clicking with the tablet instead of the mouse would somehow fix things, but as of yet I have not found a single "fix" that actually fixes anything.

It's draining me of what little drive I DO have to be creative.

I'm still using CS6, and my tablet is a rather aged Intuos 3 9x12.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Re: Help? Problems with Photoshop

Post by RocketScientist » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:12 am

Have you tried contacting Adobe directly? They should still be supporting CS6, I would think. I've had a display driver problem forever with CS4, so I doubt it will resolve itself. I 'm guessing CS4 is too old for them to support, though, so I haven't bothered contacting them, myself. But it doesn't have an issue with my totally old, cheap tablet.

Do you have any other CS products, and if so does your tablet work in those?

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:22 am

I can confirm my tablet worked fine on my laptop (which was still using CS2,) before it fried. This is an issue I've had with CS2 as well, in the past. Unfortunately, Adobe seems to consider this a problem with the tablet, and not with their software... despite the tablet working fine with virtually any other program that has tilt and pressure sensitivity.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:26 pm

Damn. That sucks. :(

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:56 pm

Have you tried contacting the tablet manufacturer then?

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:41 pm

I may have to, though I don't think this is a problem on Wacom's end. :C The tablet works fine in all of my other art programs. The drivers themselves work properly. It's only not working with the CS6 suite.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:09 pm

Found this - there are a whole bunch of options from about half way down the thread (after the ranty one).

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:45 pm

I believe there was meant to be a link there? o-o

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:04 am

yup there was... hang on.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5984094

You've probably seen it already, but it certainly doesn't look like you're the only one with issues

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:44 pm

Ah, yes. I saw that thread, I'm afraid. :C Sometimes in all the fighting (uninstalling this and that, removing and reinstalling drivers,) it does work again for a brief moment, but Adobe is entirely unwilling to admit that perhaps it's a problem with their line, and not with Wacom tablets or drivers...

I would be inclined to believe it was only a driver or connectivity issue myself, if..not for the fact that other programs such as Open Canvas and ArtRage function as they should. Pressure sensitivity, tilt sensitivity, etc. Unfortunately ArtRage doesn't work very well for photomanipulation, aaaaaaand not having functional pressure sensitivity is making me simply avoid all such work that I have to do. (So it's piling up. ;-; )

...I may try the 'deeper' install mentioned, and see if that fix is any less transitory.