Dutch Translation - Translation

Home of all attempts to translate Goblins into another language.

Moderator: Translation Moderators

Sleaw
Moderates Controversy!

Dutch Translation - Translation

Post by Sleaw » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:29 pm

Hey snappysnaps! It seems pretty much everything was wiped out in the forum switch, which is a damn shame for those translation projects that had actually gotten off the ground - I hope you guys/them guys managed so save some of their stuff elsewhere. For the Dutch translation project, though, relatively little was lost, considering we'd only gotten through the names before the thread died. Is this a revival that I'm trying to do here? Not likely, when you think about it. Interest in this topic was not exactly peaking before the switch. What I hope, though, is that I can find the time to do translations by myself - bit by bit, crude as they may be, and for now, only text - and that hopefully, other Dutchies or Belgians will join in and build up a team. It's definitely worth a try, in my opinion at least. :lol: I should see if I still have that signature banner...

There is now also a Discussion thread, and this thread will be the Translation thread, where, y'know, the actual translations will be posted. I'm obviously working pretty roughly as I'm translating, so there will be a lot of room for suggestions and improvements. For the character names as well, I'm just going with what I remember from the old discussion, and otherwise, just make something up that seems to fit. I can always go back and change them later, so it shouldn't be a big problem.

Sleaw
Moderates Controversy!

Book 1, Chapter 1: The Introduction to Goblins

Post by Sleaw » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:28 am

(Stealing Krulle's system here; ssh, don't tell him!)
► Show Spoiler

Sleaw
Moderates Controversy!

Book 1, Chapter 2: The Goblins' Introduction

Post by Sleaw » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:13 am

I could definitely use some suggestions for the puns in this chapter. I've not really managed to work them through in the translation, and fear that might be impossible - I've kept Chief's last line in English, in cursive, since it's actually common among younger Dutch speakers to use English words and phrases, so the joke might be retained. I think this might be the best option, but let me know.

EDIT: For now, we've just translated it and ditched the pun. If anyone has good suggestions, though, they're always welcome.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Sleaw
Moderates Controversy!

Book 1, Chapter 3: The Goblins Discuss the Poorly Locked Che

Post by Sleaw » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:49 am

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Sleaw
Moderates Controversy!

Book 1, Chapter 4: The Adventurers' Introduction

Post by Sleaw » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:36 am

Note: So far I've gone with not translating most game terms, such as names of classes and abilities. The main reason is that it would be impossible to do so accurately, and that any Dutch D&D players would be familiar with the English terms anyway. Translating them would be jarring for anyone who actually knew the game. On the other hand, the point of a translation is to make something accessible to someone who doesn't speak the language. With that in mind, translating these terms might be necessary, although we'd really have to focus on consistency and accuracy. Let me know what you think in the Discussion thread.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Sleaw
Moderates Controversy!

Book 1, Chapter 5: The Fiery Pit

Post by Sleaw » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:43 am

I have kept dungeon master untranslated for now, although with Thunt's preemptive removal of Wizards-owned terms it will probably have to go eventually. :?
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Sleaw
Moderates Controversy!

Book 1, Chapter 6: The Goblins' Three Plans

Post by Sleaw » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:33 pm

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Sleaw
Moderates Controversy!

Book 1, Chapter 7: Minmax and the Shiny Rock

Post by Sleaw » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:45 pm

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Orzahn
Likes Puppies
UStream Username: Orzahn

Re: Dutch Translation - Translation

Post by Orzahn » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:42 am

SO as a dutch guy skimming through this, I noticed one thing which could be translated more accuratly, a bastard sword in Dutch would be called "anderhalve hander" As in you can use it with one or two hands (bastardsword style :P )
I'll add more to this as I come across things :) I hope you won't kill me for it :P
Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Jake: Hit it.

Sleaw
Moderates Controversy!

Re: Dutch Translation - Translation

Post by Sleaw » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:48 am

I'd never! I need all the help I can get, so please, keep at it. ;) I've looked around a bit, and from what I read, both 'bastaardzwaard' and 'anderhalfs hander' are usable terms - would you agree with that? The main point being, I think bastaardzwaard sounds much more like a commonly used term, so if they're both correct terms, I'd prefer to go with that one.

(Also, we do actually have a seperate thread for discussion - this thread is for the translations. As soon as I figure out how to move posts I will move these posts to that thread. xD)