Surviving Castle Heterodyne - OOC Discussion Thread

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne - OOC Discussion Thread

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:10 pm

Sorry, things have been busy with sending out a job application and trying to get taxes done in addition to the usual grading and teaching. Look for an update in the next day or two though.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:09 pm

Ah crap, I was hoping I'd hit level 2 woodworking with that. Do I bother taking the time to read the book on Siege Towers? Could spend a few more turns now knocking it out, and if I level up I could definitely save some man-hours while building the beehive.

The question is, would reading another book be enough to tip me over or will I gain enough woodworking in building the rudimentary frame of the hive to level up and make the other tasks easier?
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:13 pm

That is the question, isn't it. ;)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:16 pm

Dammit! No hints!
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:22 pm

I believe there are two books that are known to reward woodworking, whether reading one or both of them would be enough to get you to your next level... :shrug: :thumbsup:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:43 pm

Well I've read three of the four I know of (Woodworking Techniques; Shields; Carpentry vs Stonemasonry), so that leaves Siege Towers and any other book that we haven't read that may be related. Life cycle of a tree perhaps?

Ah, I'd forgotten Trees of the Northern Woods! Added Botany!
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:47 am

Quarg has missed the last 2, so I'll be working on a full update in the next few days. I have a deadline I need to meet this week, but once that's off my plate, I'll be able to work on some research and building rolls.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:49 pm

Aw cmon, 5.5 SP in Woodworking and still no Level 2?! :P

Oh well, I don't want to spend any more time reading so I may as well get started on the beehive.
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:29 pm

Level 2 is at 6 SP.... ;)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:24 pm

Trying to see if I can start playing again. I've been skimming the thread recently, but Gabe is in the middle of a project, so I haven't had anything to say. I do see Sam is once again running to the workshop screaming for help as he lures something big and dangerous to our safe haven. Some things never change.

Anyone care to sketch out what I've missed? I left off shortly before Christmas gifts were exchanged. I suppose I could read back through the last dozen or so pages, but if someone feels like giving me the short version, I'd appreciate it.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:38 pm

Yay! I'll get you a summary later this evening!

-A naked nocturnal Bunn Bunn delivers presents to sparks.
-Everyone wakes, and eventually opens theirs, except for Gabe. Ziou got a specimen jar, Sam got a blade attachment that lights it on fire, Enoch got a bench mounted magnifier, Ursula got a portable music player, Hiero got a lemon powered pie chucker, Kew got a crystal growing kit, and August got some leather greaves.
-Sam works on his clank boy, August starts reading, and Hiero and Urusla check out their new items. Gabe and Enoch make breakfast while Kew supervises and reads.
-Enoch works on attaching his scope to his workbench.
-Ziou and Sam are tired from staying up late.
-Gabe and Ursula start reading.
-Hiero starts by checking up on Gabe's gasline work from the previous day (though he mistakenly remembered Sam being the one to have done the work).
-August gifts Kew one of the armored shirts he made. They briefly discuss defense and armaments.
-Enoch starts reading.
-Hiero asks Gabe if he'd be available to continue helping on the generator project, Gabe indicates he'd be free after reading his current scroll.
-While waiting, Hiero melts some scrap down and pours an untested alloy bar for use in bracers, or something.
-Sam realizes he's wearing an immodest outfit after it was burned through by acid, and finds a child's sailors outfit in the trunk. All suited up, he decides it's time to go exploring. August follows, as per usual.
-Ursula sorts some debris from her cleaning clank spider, and winds him up again.
-Ziou wakes up refreshed and starts reading.
-Sam gets to work chiseling out the gate blocks on the passages to the left and right in the fountain room, but his lack of sleep is slowing him down. August joins in when it looks like it's going to take forever.
-Most of the others keep reading.
-Hiero starts laying out parts in a prebuild of the steam engine that Gabe had helped design, eventually recruiting the former porter to join him.
-They start bending and cutting and forging bits and pieces to be assembled into a steam engine.
-Sam and August get the gate mechanisms switched to manual.
-Ziou begins experimenting with some mystery liquids. The first causes a leech to billow forth orange smoke and starts a small fire.
-Sam and August go explore (with Charlie in tow) the room Sam found around to the right with the pull chain door.
-Ziou puts out his fire.
-Gabe and Hiero get all the parts around and are ready to start assembling the steam engine.
-The others read.
-Sam and August get the door open and managed not to get shut in with two desiccated corpses, one seeming to have died at the hands of the other, who then died trying to claw his way out of a locked room.
-Ziou tries the liquid on another leech, this time away from anything flammable.
-Ziou tries a different liquid on another leech, and it makes it mucusy.
-Sam, August, and Charlie leave that room behind and explore down the other hallway, reaching a wooden door that Sam picks the lock of. They find a storeroom with large barrels on one side, and crates and sacks on the other. Each has a placard and a rectangular piece of metal in a holder, and each placard has a reminder to insert inventory strip before removing.
-Everyone else keeps reading or working on steam engines.
-The barrels mostly contain alcohol, and are in varying states of being full, while the crates contain various foodstuffs.
-August and Charlie attempt to remove a crate, causing them all to be shot with darts and triggering a security measure in the form of a large clankipede that is currently chasing Sam back towards the Fountain Room.
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:10 pm

Can the rest of us hear the alarm?
:zzz:

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:45 pm

Castlina has just announced the impending danger.

I'm going to assume I was on the way to the fountain room when Sam came fleeing back.
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:00 pm

Sam is still on the far side of the fountain room, dealing iwth issues there.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:01 pm

Doesn't burns have a special ability that he can use to watch a creature to see it's points of weakness?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:25 pm

He does.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:30 pm

That's a good summary. Thanks! I guess I've got a present to open. Tonight. After I make sure Sam isn't going to get us killed.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:56 am

You really can't blame this one in me.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:38 am

BadgeAddict wrote:You really can't blame this one in me.
Well, at least not entirely. You were the one to lead it back towards the workshop rather than dying quietly in the depths of the Castle... o:)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:41 am

Veiled threats of death huh, two can play that game.
Oh man, is that a meteor falling from the sky towards a certain dragons headquarters...
Sam would never be one to "just die peacefully".

and when we win this battle and have more mechanical parts that we know what to do with....who will thank me for the parts that they can use to build with?

That spider clank will grow from being as small as your hand to as big as a person.

We'll create a clank which lifts threshold blocks all by itself...

it will be glorious.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:06 am

I never said anything about peacefully, just quietly... where no one could hear your screams but August and Sam.

And you've already plagued Tha'k with angels and traitors and wizards, so I don't want to hear any complaints from your direction about one little clankipede. :lol:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:45 am

If you're referring to my comment, there's nothing veiled, no threats, and Sam couldn't hear. But if you're interested in Gabe's thoughts...
► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:11 pm

haha, no wears, I meant spiders comments. A little jesting between us.

But, since you mentioned this, I will reply to your concerns.
► Show Spoiler
I feel the need to point out one additional thing..

If we sit around and read all day to "boost our skills", Spider is going to get really bored....and do you know what a bored GM does....he throws enemies at you.

So, we're gonna fight either way...and that's either against something that he comes up with that attacks or it's something that I go and find...

There is nothing more dangerous than a bored GM.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:52 pm

WearsHats wrote: He gets to the fountain room and finds a giant monster attacking everyone in reach,
Minor correction... the clankipede has not attacked anyone as of yet. He might just have wanted to give Sam a hug. Someone should let he free and we can all find out together. :thumbsup:
BadgeAddict wrote:If we sit around and read all day to "boost our skills", Spider is going to get really bored....
Well, if you ALL sat down to read everything, I'd do a multi-turn update until someone ran out of books and had to find something else to do.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:56 pm

Sam doesn't barely knows how to read...problem solved.