Surviving Castle Heterodyne - OOC Discussion Thread

Home to all current Forum Games.
Post Reply
User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13935

Surviving Castle Heterodyne - OOC Discussion Thread

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:34 am

Feel free to use this thread for discussing any OOC chatter, strategy, etc.

Map of Castle explored thus far.

Image
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena
Posts: 8285
Location: Ohio

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne - OOC Player Discussion Thre

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:38 am

Here is the catalog for all that is Sam "Chaos Monkey" Griffin
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:36 am, edited 8 times in total.
The Long Shot - A Star Wars Saga Edition Campaign.
The ones who challenge and break the rules created by the current Authorities, are the harbingers of change.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator
Posts: 4575
Location: Ó▓á_Ó▓á

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne - OOC Player Discussion Thre

Post by nikohl » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:41 am

I imagine after the initial "who are you?!" period, and of course the standard sparky independence/paranoia wears off, that we'll actively work together... Am I correct in this assumption, or do you guys plan on being antagonistic/self-serving/etc?

I'm happy to move toward teamwork if everyone else is. Obviously with the requisite roleplaying to reach that stage.

User avatar
LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Posts: 7100
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!
Contact:

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne - OOC Player Discussion Thre

Post by LAYF » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:41 am

Reserved for Bunn Bunn
-Best regards LAYF

User avatar
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 6906
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne - OOC Player Discussion Thre

Post by WearsHats » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:53 am

Yeah, I am planning to try to work together. We may not always agree on what needs to be done, but I would generally like to cooperate. But there should also just be room for total wackiness and the occasional non-sequitur.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Nerre
Game Master
Posts: 4832

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne - OOC Player Discussion Thre

Post by Nerre » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:58 am

BadgeAddict wrote:but if Nerre truly is insane, we may need to kill him off....to keep him from killing us...of course.
HELP!
I am just a poor, misunderstood city employee.

He already tried to work together by trying to make light before the moss became brighter.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13935

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne - OOC Player Discussion Thre

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:01 am

nikohl wrote:I imagine after the initial "who are you?!" period, and of course the standard sparky independence/paranoia wears off, that we'll actively work together... Am I correct in this assumption, or do you guys plan on being antagonistic/self-serving/etc?

I'm happy to move toward teamwork if everyone else is. Obviously with the requisite roleplaying to reach that stage.
The intent of the individuals that assigned you to Sector 8G was to knock you all back to 'junior sparks' to limit infighting and ego maniacal powergrabs. The first batch to go down to this newly discovered section of the Castle were a bunch of full power, full strength sparks. Turns out dumping a bunch of sparks in an remote area of the castle with limited resources is a recipe for spark on spark violence. As far as anyone on the surface knows, they killed each other off before the Castle got a taste of them. That inspired the mind wiping procedure. The last batch to go down was wiped too far... they didn't know how to do ANYTHING, and were promptly killed by the Castle. That's where your bunch comes in... wiped far enough to be manageable, and *possibly* make you reliant on others, but not so far that you die immediately. Not that you WON'T die... that's always a possibility...

That being said, you can be as nice or as mean to each other as you want as far as I'm concerned... I'll play it how you play it, but I'm assuming we are all here to have an enjoyable time.

The mind wipe doesn't affect other memories, so none of you are suffering from amnesia as such. You know that you've made impressive creations in the past, you just can't recall how. It's like riding a bike, except now your mind and body aren't able to recall what is needed to do it and you have to relearn how to balance and maintain momentum.

So technically, as of right now, to use Hiero as an example, he wouldn't know be able to recall how to use magnets and wires to generate current (which is why I just bypassed it as ranting). He recalls some information about how to store a charge in capacitors, and through exploration/crafting, etc., may regain knowledge about Current Generation Generating Current.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena
Posts: 8285
Location: Ohio

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne - The Graveyard

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:06 am

Welcome to the Graveyard.

Below is a record of death, how, why, where, when, etc
► Show Spoiler
The Long Shot - A Star Wars Saga Edition Campaign.
The ones who challenge and break the rules created by the current Authorities, are the harbingers of change.

User avatar
LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Posts: 7100
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!
Contact:

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne - OOC Player Discussion Thre

Post by LAYF » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:00 am

BadgeAddict wrote:-SNIP-
@ nikohl: Yes, i assume we will eventually get towards working together....but if Nerre truly is insane, we may need to kill him off....to keep him from killing us...of course.
I second this notion, besides, if we work together we will need someone to use as a test subject mmmh?
-Best regards LAYF

User avatar
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena
Posts: 8285
Location: Ohio

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne - OOC Player Discussion Thre

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:04 am

It's a little too late LAYF, as the insane one has been eaten by a grue.
The Long Shot - A Star Wars Saga Edition Campaign.
The ones who challenge and break the rules created by the current Authorities, are the harbingers of change.

User avatar
LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Posts: 7100
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!
Contact:

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne - OOC Player Discussion Thre

Post by LAYF » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:08 am

BadgeAddict wrote:It's a little too late LAYF, as the insane one has been eaten by a grue.
Woaaa... what happened? I'm gone for such a short time and the game thread explode.. damn... will have some catchin up to do... (Nice to see people being involved do!)
-Best regards LAYF

User avatar
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena
Posts: 8285
Location: Ohio

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne - OOC Player Discussion Thre

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:56 am

I'm totally keeping him in the graveyard anyways.

Honestly, although nerre will be sad, leaving him dead is very much proof of the bad that will happen if you disobey. I also find that death makes games more real because..there are actually very few games in which the DM doesn't try to not allow it to happen. (aka: making death very rare)

Nerre, if you are a man, I would take your death and enjoy it, and maybe you can make a new character who isn't as crazy.

This is of course my opinion and I'm not trying to usurp the authority of the GM.

But, if i died because i didn't listen, I would happily accept my death as my punishment. I would take it like a man.
The Long Shot - A Star Wars Saga Edition Campaign.
The ones who challenge and break the rules created by the current Authorities, are the harbingers of change.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13935

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne - OOC Player Discussion Thre

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:02 pm

BadgeAddict wrote:I'm totally keeping him in the graveyard anyways.

Honestly, although nerre will be sad, leaving him dead is very much proof of the bad that will happen if you disobey. I also find that death makes games more real because..there are actually very few games in which the DM doesn't try to not allow it to happen. (aka: making death very rare)

Nerre, if you are a man, I would take your death and enjoy it, and maybe you can make a new character who isn't as crazy.

This is of course my opinion and I'm not trying to usurp the authority of the GM.

But, if i died because i didn't listen, I would happily accept my death as my punishment. I would take it like a man.
Your point is taken, but ultimately it's kind of a crap way to die, and while I do want the possibility of death to be real (after all, there are always more sparks), I'd rather it not come based on whatever the opposite of 'deus ex machina' would be called. I'd much rather have any deaths mean something (as in ECR's Stonetear Clan games) than be seen as just being on the GM's whim. I've pmed Nerre, and the ball is in his court whether Hieronymus continues to be part of the party.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Posts: 7100
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!
Contact:

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne - OOC Player Discussion Thre

Post by LAYF » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:21 pm

Well, I'll say one thing... updated do seem to happen really fast.. but let me get this to be sure;
You wish for us to hold to one post per update?

Just a request, could we make it so 1 post is what you wait for. but if others have posted after your first post, you are allowed one post to respond? so a maximum of 2 posts per player, but you'll only wait for the first before posting the "reserved" post?
-Best regards LAYF

nikohl
Discussion Moderator
Posts: 4575
Location: Ó▓á_Ó▓á

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne - OOC Player Discussion Thre

Post by nikohl » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:25 pm

I took it to mean one "proper" action per update, plus talking back and forth like we have been doing.

User avatar
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena
Posts: 8285
Location: Ohio

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne - OOC Player Discussion Thre

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:30 pm

I'm guessing that what spiderwrangler means is to keep it to a certain number of actions per "turn".

because, if i try to to 5 different things between turns, then....its largely confusing.

Whereas talking is one thing, acting is another, so i take it to mean, 1 action per turn.

though, please correct me if i am wrong.
The Long Shot - A Star Wars Saga Edition Campaign.
The ones who challenge and break the rules created by the current Authorities, are the harbingers of change.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13935

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne - OOC Player Discussion Thre

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:35 pm

Yes, depending on player activity, I should be able to update fairly quickly, but I don't want to my updates to outpace any one player. Number of posts you make between updates depends...

If it's just dialogue, feel free to post as much as you want, I don't plan on copying player dialogue into GM updates.

If you are attempting actions, or entering a new room, assume I'll have something to say about it. You can use the Move, Major, Minor system as a good rule of thumb. If I feel like you're trying to do to much, I'll limit your actions and make note of it in the update.

With the exception of the current one, I won't be reserving a post until all players have entered something.

If there are one or two players that haven't posted and I haven't 'reserved', you can assume I'm waiting for them, so try to be considerate of them as well and not attempt to do everything.

If we get to a point where all players are working on multi-turn crafting tasks, I will likely roll for a series of turns in one update (until one player completes their task) to keep crafting from being a back and forth of "I keep going." "You make progress." "Ok, I keep going."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena
Posts: 8285
Location: Ohio

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne - OOC Player Discussion Thre

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:47 pm

would it be possible to allow "training"...So, currently, we each have our own skills, and as we learn more we will upgrade our skills and other skills. Would it be possible to use the same CP system to "train" and "learn" between each other in order to gain skills in things we don't have.

Assuming that you can only train someone up to your current level in a skill.

If so, would there be requirements such as.

Example: I'm about to disassemble something, i ask for nikohls help to "show/train" me in how to do this well.
The Long Shot - A Star Wars Saga Edition Campaign.
The ones who challenge and break the rules created by the current Authorities, are the harbingers of change.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13935

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne - OOC Player Discussion Thre

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:52 pm

BadgeAddict wrote:would it be possible to allow "training"...So, currently, we each have our own skills, and as we learn more we will upgrade our skills and other skills. Would it be possible to use the same CP system to "train" and "learn" between each other in order to gain skills in things we don't have.

Assuming that you can only train someone up to your current level in a skill.
Sure, we can try anything. I'd have to think a bit about how to implement it, if someone wants to try, we'll make it work.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Posts: 7100
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!
Contact:

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne - OOC Player Discussion Thre

Post by LAYF » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:05 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:-SNIP-
If there are one or two players that haven't posted and I haven't 'reserved', you can assume I'm waiting for them, so try to be considerate of them as well and not attempt to do everything.
-SNIP-"
okay, good to hear, because I'd like to read the posts of those before me without feeling time pressured, so that I may interact instead of just "solo play"
-Best regards LAYF

User avatar
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena
Posts: 8285
Location: Ohio

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne - OOC Player Discussion Thre

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:12 pm

So...what are we currently waiting for? As i assume posting again would result in being eaten by the sibling of the other grue.
The Long Shot - A Star Wars Saga Edition Campaign.
The ones who challenge and break the rules created by the current Authorities, are the harbingers of change.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13935

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne - OOC Player Discussion Thre

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:27 pm

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:
spiderwrangler wrote:-SNIP-
If there are one or two players that haven't posted and I haven't 'reserved', you can assume I'm waiting for them, so try to be considerate of them as well and not attempt to do everything.
-SNIP-"
okay, good to hear, because I'd like to read the posts of those before me without feeling time pressured, so that I may interact instead of just "solo play"
Yes, I don't want you to feel rushed to post something...

@BadgeAddict - I'd probably limit the training to one level under the trainer, and greater difference in levels, the faster the training... something along the lines of (Trainer level - (Trainee level +1))= Training Efficiency

So right now, Ursula training you in Disassembly wouldn't help. (1 -(0+1)) = 0
Once she reaches another level in Disassembly, it would be (2 -(0+1))= 1

I'd have to figure out how Training Efficiency factors into gaining SP though...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13935

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne - OOC Player Discussion Thre

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:28 pm

BadgeAddict wrote:So...what are we currently waiting for? As i assume posting again would result in being eaten by the sibling of the other grue.
I'm giving Nerre a second chance. Waiting to hear from him.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator
Posts: 4575
Location: Ó▓á_Ó▓á

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne - OOC Player Discussion Thre

Post by nikohl » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:49 pm

Bear in mind Nerre is often offline all weekend :S

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13935

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne - OOC Player Discussion Thre

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:12 pm

nikohl wrote:Bear in mind Nerre is often offline all weekend :S
I was not aware...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Post Reply