Surviving Castle Heterodyne

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:39 am

(Any particular workbench? There are 10 around the perimeter of the room... for reference, can call them 1-10 proceeding clockwise from the door. For now each character will be able to choose one to search for goodies.)
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:39 am

"Ahhh, das is great indeed dear Mr Gape, great indeed! And Mr. Sam I'd be delighted if you'd show me more on how these contraptions works, and In return I believe I can help you out a bit to!" Bunn Bunn, takes up one of the legs and points at the ankles and the stabilizing springs at the joints "See these springs here? I'm sure you placed them there to make a roiling stride or run possible foot, But! did you notes that the springs are under a lot of tension when you move fast and the foot then springs back into a stretched pose when lifted from the ground? I am sure that we can find a way to use this, if we place a mainspring or two to be wind up by the walking movement I am sure we can find a way to apply that build up energy! maybe make it so after a few hundred meters run at low speed you'd be able to jump a great length or height! That would of course require the addition of another joint higher up on the leg that would only be used for this purpose!" Bunn Bunn says to Sam and starts to make plans for how he could make two mainsprings wind up by walking movement, and then how to release said energy again.
-Best regards LAYF

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:47 am

Sam stands back and watches as the grunts put their strength to work in opening the door. After the one known as gabe successfully opens the door, without giving himself a hernia (impressive), Sam enters the new room.

Instead of rushing to just any work table within the room, Sam takes a moment to take it all in with his eyes. He looks around the room with an eye for detail, taking in everything and carefully creating an inventory of what is available in the back of his mind. Once he is fully acclimated to what is where, he steps forward toward the tables in search of any tools or tool-chests in search of some tools which can help him remove the lock from the door that had just been opened.

Remembering what Cas had said about the different entities within the castle, Sam asks "Castilina, where is your central operating system, I ask not so that i can tamper with it, but so that i may know how to find that of the other entities within the castle." Sam takes a knee "I solemnly swear that I will do my best work to bring you into power over the castle and eliminate any harmful entities within these walls". Upon rising, Sam looks around the room for any tools that he might claim for his task.

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:51 am

WearsHats wrote: "So, uh, you seem pretty comfortable with those knives. Were you, by any chance, a... chef?" he ventures hopefully.
August chuckles at the question. "Oh Mr Gabe.. Was it yes? My expertise stems from nothing quite so mundane. I am trained in a wide variety of fighting skills both hand-to-hand and marksmanship. All to better protect any innocent citizens in peril of course." The last part he says just a bit too quickly to be convincing.

August will enter the workshop and look for smithing supplies. (Are there metal ingots or blanks, or will I have to use scrap metal?)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:49 pm

"Uhm, yes. Protect innocents. Of course." Gabe tries not to look too discomfited, but makes a mental note to keep an eye on August.

He stretches a bit to make sure he didn't hurt himself and to try to loosen the tension from the exertion. Then he surveys the room, looking for the parts and tools he'll need to craft a new rotor. He also makes mental plans to craft attachments. It shouldn't be too hard to swap out the rotor for a drill bit or screwdriver. With a little work, he might even be able to make a powered wrench...

As soon as he locates what he needs, he selects a likely-looking workbench and begins. If all benches are more or less suitable, he will claim #7 for himself.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:36 pm

(Let's say #5 for Ursula, as it's basically across from the door.)

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:15 am

WearsHats wrote:I've lost track of who has introduced themselves and who hasn't. Shall we assume that happened during the lockpicking rounds?
"In case not all got my name the first time, I am Hieronymus von Morgentag, lead clank recharger of Mechanicsburg...well until yesterday." Hiero decides to reintroduce himself again with a slight bow. "I have several helpful devices implanted into my body, but to my regret they discharged me before I got thrown in here with you for no reason. Does anybody of you happen to have talent in either steampower or generator-design? I would like to create a little steam-generator to charge me up with a pot, the stove and some water. An alternative would be a simple mechanical crank generator to turn mechanical energy into electrical energy. With some electricity, we maybe can achieve more in here and last longer. I hoped I could find a viable biochemical power source in the moss, but to my regret it seems to weak. Good for glowing, but not for powering something larger."

Hiero will then start to build such a machine. If anybody helps him, he will let them do the part of the work their expertise allows them to do quicker.

After working a while, he facepalms and asks "Castelina, does this room or any of those under your control happen to have a power plug to provide basic electrical energy?"
Why was asking the castle always the last idea he got to solve something? Maybe cause it could not help much so far? Well, let's hope that will get better when they manage to repair it. And let's hope that this nice personality will keep the upper hand.
:zzz:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:50 am

Ursula strides across the room with purpose, and begins searching the first workbench she comes to. On the work surface is a crowbar, a pair of gloves, some hammers and a dusting of metal shavings. She opens the drawers and finds some other tools and odds and ends.
► Show Spoiler
Bunn muses further over Sam's legs... trying to make plans on how to modify them to propel the small fellow even quicker. While he's able to dream up the concept, he's not currently able to figure out how to implement it given the supplies he has.
► Show Spoiler
Sam scans the room taking stock of what he is able to see. There are ten workbenches set against the walls of the room. While they are too far way to determine exactly what is at any one bench without closer inspection, he is able to tell that they all have some tools cluttering the work surface, as well as a set of drawers that may contain other bits and pieces. In the center of the room is what appears to be a large forge raising out of the ground with a metal venting system above it. A large hammer leans against the forge, and a pair of tongs rest on an anvil to the side. The doorway out of the workshop is still too shadowed for him to see from his current position to make out clearly, but it appears to be a series of vertical bars. To his far right, and wrapping around a corner appears to be a series of large shelves covered with various items and clutter.

He queries Castlina on the location of her central system, and promises not to bring her harm.
"Hehee, even if you did mean me ill, you'd find that MY central systems are quite inaccessible. This workshop is the core of my being, you entered through some of my secondary rooms. I have complete control of the shaft that makes up the central forge, and my systems are located underneath this room, only accessible through a doorway located within the forge shaft. Highly defensible. Other fragments may be less or more easily accessible, but ancillary rooms should be able to be separated from the central consciousness, which would allow you to transfer them to my control."

August does his best not to creep Gabe out... and enters the workshop, taking stock of the same items near the forge that Sam notices. No metal ingots are immediately noticeable.

Gabe puffs briefly to catch his breath,
► Show Spoiler
then approaches the workbench across the room to the left of the door. Before he can begin searching it, he is greeted by a gruesome sight. Slumped against the workbench to the other side of the doorway is the remains of a previous guest... the bones have been largely stripped bare, and the skeletal remains are sitting in a large stain pooled on the stone beneath it. The left femur is shattered and the remainder of the leg is nowhere to be seen. Leather armor still encases the torso of the remains. The metal rods making up the portcullis of the doorway seem to have pierced the severed arm of a clank, the claws covered in the same dark stain.
► Show Spoiler

Hiero gets very ambitious about creating some sort of electrical generator, before realizing that he doesn't have the supplies, equipment, or even remember the knowledge necessary to construct any such device.

"Castelina, does this room or any of those under your control happen to have a power plug to provide basic electrical energy?"

"Hmmm... what do you need access to electrical power for? I do get routinely charged by passing lightning storms... if I have a surplus it typically just gets discharged if it's more than what I can hold, it might be possible to occasionally reroute some for other purposes..."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:21 pm

August will search some of the workbenches. (#10 if I can search only one)

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:30 pm

"Well done gentlemen and lady! Sam, Gape, would you be so kind as to return to me the remaining of my items? Also, Sam, taking as you are about to move around I figure you want these back... They have given me a lot to think about yes they have..."

Bunn Bunn kind of sneak/dance/jumps in a weird combo on his way into the workshop that makes his apron jump and fly to all sides! Once inside he starts to look for various items he could use for his project such as joints, main springs, releases and gears. upon Seeing the dead guys Bunn Bunn reacts with disgust "Now this is just wrong... Who could do such a thing! This poor fellow is practically naked to the bones! it is disgusting!"

*Yes, I did read what Ursula found, but Bunn Bunn does not know that so he will keep looking....
-Best regards LAYF

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:49 am

"Ah, yes... This is much better. Young man, I believe you will no longer need the fork and spoon for any future door problems - there are several real lock picks here." Ursula takes the gloves, flint and steel, needle, and crowbar for her satchel of useful delights, then picks up the lock picks and turns to show them to Sam, only then spotting the dead guy. She gasps in disgust, but then sees the clank, and curiosity overtakes her revulsion. She hurries back over and crouches down to inspect the clank arm. "Castlina, what can you tell us about this poor fellow?"

(Ooc: I don't want to barge in on your find, Wears, but roleplay wise, Ursula wouldn't ignore a body or a clank :s)

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:09 am

"Hmmm... what do you need access to electrical power for? I do get routinely charged by passing lightning storms... if I have a surplus it typically just gets discharged if it's more than what I can hold, it might be possible to occasionally reroute some for other purposes..."

"Thanks you. I would appreciate if you could reroute a lightning or a similar kind of charge to me. Don't worry, I can take it. Where could I access the power you would occasionally reroute here? Is there a powerplug or panel or wire I can access with your consent and without damaging you?"

While talking to Castlina, Hiero also checks the room. He had seen how steam came out of a tee pot and it rose with much force. It even whistled cause it wanted to leave the pot so hard. Hiero searches for a tea pot or something similar, and then pours water in from the sink and heats it on the stove. Then he studies how strong it is to see what he can do. He also looks for several kinds of tubes or pipes and tests which one can withstand the heat of the hot steam. He also checks for tools he can use to connect the parts. Like a monkey wrench, plumber's solder and things like that. He also looks for magnets. He is not sure why, maybe it is parts of what they deleted from his brain, but he got the nagging in his back that the had to do something with power generation. If he only knew what.

Action in short: List material for steam generation and channeling, analyze physical behavior of steam. Talk to Castlina.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:16 am

OOC: No problem, Nikohl. Makes perfect sense, and you only asked what I (or, I suspect, pretty much anyone) would have. It doesn't matter who asks. We'll all hear the answer. And this obviously concerns us all.

"Dibs on the dead guy's stuff!"

Gabe, unsettled by the discovery, freezes for a moment. It's been an unprecedentedly (Is that a word? Never mind, Gabe. Stop distracting yourself.) harrowing day. He's seen people injured, but this is his first dead body. With no sign of immediate danger, he can afford to process that. He kind of regrets that. On the other hand, he's relieved that there's no flesh on the skeleton, both because that would make it much more gruesome (a word he wishes his mind had not chosen to dwell on) and because it means that whatever did this (possibly the clank, but it's possible there was a third party involved) is likely long gone.

He looks around the room, scanning for any signs of danger or other remains. He's about to ask Castlina for more information when he hears Ursula beat him to it. He cautiously approaches the body, and begins an amateur forensic examination. It occurs to him that maybe there's someone more familiar with dead bodies here. But Ursula's call should already have drawn the others' attention. He gives August what he hopes is a surreptitious examination, watching for his reaction without being too obvious.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:21 am

Turning around to see what all the noise is about, August sees the body. He seems fairly uninterested and gets back to searching the workbench.
"Don't act so surprised, it's not like you didn't know this place was a death trap. No offense to you Miss Castlina. I can give him a quick examination once I'm done with this workbench, if you want. Oh and somebody should probably take his armor, though it seems it didn't help that poor sod a lot."
Noticing that Gabe is eyeing him suspiciously he adresses him:
"And just what did I do to earn your suspicion, Mr Gabe?"

(If I can still examine the body after searching the workbench I'll do it, if not I'll keep searching)

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:12 am

"Dead people inside castle Heterodyne. What a big surprise." Hiero says ironically without looking up from his work.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:44 am

Sam happily gave everyone back their tools and accepted the lockpicks from the floor which had been dropped by woman in her haste to the dead thing over there. Sam grimaced a little at the thought of a dead body. It wasn't the sight of blood or bones that turned his stomach, it was this smell of dead things which tended to permeate from things that had been killed and left to rot. His stomach jumped a bit at the thought of that smell, that horrid smell.

Choosing to instead ignore the idea of death as the others clambered over to it, he took his legs back from Bunn, who was flapping his tool around again due to his excitement, "horrible naked man" he thought to himself.

Strapping the clockwork legs quickly back onto himself, Sam quickly gained the balance of the things and strode off for the first table that was unused and began looking on it, in it and around it for any tools or perhaps a toolbelt to call his own.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:04 am

BadgeAddict wrote: Sam quickly gained the balance of the things and strode off for the first table that was unused
Would that be Workbench 1?

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:06 am

^(Sure, I was planning on just basically checking each table one after the other, so starting with 1 is fine, but then i will move to 2 and so forth until i find what i want.)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:26 am

August walks past the shelving to search the first workbench on the right. He finds the following:
► Show Spoiler

Bunn Bunn is very focused on finding particular items, and while he gives a cursory search of workbenches 1-4 and workbench 6, he doesn't find any springs, gears, joints, or releases before arriving at the corpse that Gabe found. Perhaps a search of the storage shelving on the far side of the room might be more fruitful.

Ursula grabs some items from her bench, then hurries over to examine the clank arm.
"Castlina, what can you tell us about this poor fellow?"
"Ah, yes... he was under the control of a competing persona fragment, I was forced to close the door on him to prevent entry and damage to my systems, and as you can see, one of the bars pierced his arm and tore it from his body."

"Thanks you. I would appreciate if you could reroute a lightning or a similar kind of charge to me. Don't worry, I can take it. Where could I access the power you would occasionally reroute here? Is there a powerplug or panel or wire I can access with your consent and without damaging you?"
"To you? I know you sparky types are usually pretty mad, but are you sure? That generally doesn't turn out well for the fleshy types. Unfortunately, my reserves were lower than I like, and the most recent storm has only gotten them back up to acceptable levels, so I don't currently...that's a joke, you see... I don't currently have charge to spare. I'm not sure what you mean by 'power plug', but if you are certain you wish for me to jolt you, once I have surplus I will be able to do so directly."

Hiero searches the workbenches for a teapot... just in case any of the previous occupants liked to have tea while working, but doesn't find one. He does find a battered metal flask on Workbench 8. Hiero shows no interested in the dead body leaning against the workbench, and goes about his search ignoring the crusty blood stain he's standing on, or the concern of his fellow prisoners.

Gabe examines the body more closely. The fractured and missing leg seems to be the only real sign of trauma on the body, and based on the large stain, it appears that blood loss from the severed limb was likely the cause of death. The visible bones have faint patterns of scrapes crisscrossing them, as if the flesh were stripped or gnawed off. He looks over his shoulder towards August... who seems to be the resident expert in death and its causes.

" No offense to you Miss Castlina."
"Oh, none taken, Mr. Gallardi! Deathtrap is one my best design features!" she replies cheerfully.

After taking stock of what Workbench 10 holds, August walks over and gives the body a quick glance. It is apparent to him that the man bled out following the loss of his lower leg. His last effort was likely making it back into the workshop before the door closed, and wasn't able to make it any further before succumbing.

Sam, back on his legs, begins a search for a toolbelt and tools to . Starting to the left of the locked door he searches each bench before finding a leather apron on Workbench 4. He claims it, and while it is wearable, the pockets are a bit low, and he would run the risk to tripping over it if he were to try wearing it while not on his Clockwork Legs. At the same workbench, he finds a set of spanners, which might work well for removing the locking mechanism from the door if he still wished to do so.

(For the players that were searching for stuff in general, I am giving them dibs on the rest of the items in the workbench they found stuff on... for Sam, that's #4, and #8 for Hiero. Bunn didn't find what he was looking for, but perhaps that is because most of what is on the workbenches are tools. I'll update inventories later.... if you wish to give any items a closer inspection, let me know.)
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:32 am

"Quite right of you to do so, my dear. I know I would shut the door on someone invading my home." Ursula cheerfully quips to Castlina, as she works on removing the arm from the bars, either by dismantling the area around the portcullis spike, or by wiggling it loose if it's not quite so stuck as she originally thought. She tries to breathe through her mouth while she does it, as she finds herself far closer to their dead friend than she might have liked. "Castlina, did the clank kill this fellow? Was he another prisoner, like us?"

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:38 am

Sam begins rummaging through the drawers of the work table and then spots something lying on top. Sam lets out a happy squeal as he finds the apron, which slips into a more sad sounding squeak as he realizes that wearing it without the legs would result in catastrophe. The spanners however were a happier note though and perked Sam back up to a high level of chipper-ness. Realizing that he was still wearing his prisoner uniform, he quickly slips into his normal clothes while the others arm exampling the dead body. The prisoner uniform he folds neatly and then stuffs into the bag he is carrying in case it is needed for later.

Having decided that more locks would most likely be found within the ever-reaching tunnels that they now found themselves prisoners in, Sam decided that now was a better time then ever to better learn about locks and the picking of them. Grabbing the set of spanners and tucking them into his apron, he hurries back over to the door and prepares to extract the locking mechanism. "You don't mind, I suppose do you Cas? If i remove this lock...perhaps while I'm at it i can give the door controls back over to you with a better locking mechanism".

"If anyone finds any oil, perhaps we can grease up this door" he calls over his shoulder at the rest of the group.

As he starts to work, the problem of the apron still haunts him from the back of his mind, ahh the curse of shortness he muttered under his breath. Perhaps instead of just legs, i need to make something i can sit in which will walk for me, then i could have as many pockets on it as i want.

Current long-term goal: Making something like this. Except to be able to sit in them, instead of stand in them.
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:38 am

Ursula struggles briefly with the clank arm.

"Let me help you, my dear.", Castlina says, and with a loud ka-thunk the bars making up the door raise and with a tug, she is able to remove the severed arm. Looking through the bars, she is able to see a few dozen meters down a stone hallway before detail is lost in darkness. "This door I DO have control over. Yes, the human fellow was sent down the same chute you were, and was severely damaged while fleeing. His operating system shut down soon after returning here."

Once the clank arm is free, the bar drops back into its slot.
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:11 am

August will take the apron, the leather strap, whetstone and the first aid kit, and leave the rest where it is for now.
He will cut the apron into straps and use it together with the other strap to sew himself two sets of holsters, one crossing over his chest in an x-shape and another worn like a belt.
He will borrow one of Ursulas needles for this, assuming she agrees of course. ((I know this is a bit meta-gamey, but I want to save a bit of time))
If he still has time he will search the shelves.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:38 am

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:44 am

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler