Surviving Castle Heterodyne

Home to all current Forum Games.
Synch
Game Master

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne

Post by Synch » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:10 am

Enoch shuffles from side to side, trying to find an opening to do something useful, until he notices the antennae wiggling furiously. And then it dawns on him.

"Of course! Chilopoda usually have no vision, they use their antennae to sense vibration! Those darts must have some sort of signal or pheromone. Cut off the tassles and throw them back! Target the antennae!"

He turns and yells back in the direction of the workshop, "Someone bring some wire cutters!"

He'll dance forward and try and strike at the antennae with his knife at arm's reach, doing his best to avoid the clank.
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:28 am

Sam sees the disapproving looks that he's getting from his fellow prisoners and preemptively yells at them. "Don't blame me for this." To Enoch's call for wire cutters, he produces the ones he had brought with him. "Mine is shallow, but it will still be difficult to remove as it has barbs."

To test Augusta theory on the Clank tracking them, will dance/run to the other side of the room, treating to see if the Clank tracks his movements.
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:57 am

"Leave the barb in, just cut the tassles! And cut the antennae!"
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:42 am

"But we need to kill it, not just maim and anger it" sam says as he dances past Enoch in an effort to find any weakness in the clank's field of vision. As Sam dances past, he'll try to kick any of the weapons and tools that the clank dropped out into the center of the room.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:02 am

Ziou studies the clank. "you brought it here."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:03 am

August and Charlie and Sam and Enoch and Gabe and Ziou and Ursula vs Clankipede

Making an intuitive leap, August suspects the darts are involved in the clank targeting them.

"In that case, case, I did not get stuck, stuck, so it may not target, target me."

August launches a full out attack against the clankipede, his hatchet skittering off the armor again, but his saber sliding along the back until it gets past a bit of armor and bits into the components within. The clank shifts, he can feel the saber bending in his hand and he barely manages to yank his blade free before it snaps.

Charlie jabs forward, again poking for a small amount of damage, this time pulling his spear back before he can be whipped about by it.

Ursula snags her trusty crowbar, asks Hiero to join her, then heads toward the fountain room, making it as far as the end of the hallway.

Enoch shares his suspicions about the antennae and the dart protruding from Sam's leg, and tries to slice one of the antennae. His blade knocks it about a bit, but doesn't make purchase in the overlapping armor covering even this part of the clank. He does notice that the very tip of the antennae has a multiple holes in it, looking almost like the top of a salt or pepper shaker.

Sam protests his innocence, and moonwalks over to where Gabe and Ursula are. From the distance he is now, it's hard to tell, but he thinks the antennae are still pointing at him, but perhaps waving around a bit more? Up close, Enoch can see that this is indeed the case.

The clankipede, its target retreating, makes another effort to get free of the pointed gate bars pinning it to the ground. It heaves upward, and while it doesn't manage to get free, Enoch is able to observe from his increasingly uncomfortably close position, that it shifted the bars enough that the single point that was penetrating the armor of its back is now resting beside the hole. The weight of the gate is currently keeping it in place, but its no longer held fast by a spear of metal.

(The items it dropped would require getting within its embrace to attempt to retrieve. One looks like a modified prybar, the other a tube with one end tipped in serrations and some metallic 'talons' currently retracted against the length of the tube. The hands that dropped them are 'normal' looking for clank hands, ending in four digits, and another pair of hands are similar, and not carrying anything. Another pair of appendages are modified, one terminating in a bulky contraption that tapers to a squared off tip, the other a rectangular 'paddle'.)

Battlemap!

Turn Order:
Sam
Clankipede
Gabe <----
Ziou
August
Charlie
Urusula
Enoch
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:55 am

Sam uses his wire cutters to snip the tassels off of the barb in his leg as Enoch suggested. He keeps the tassels in his hand, watching to see if the clank is still paying attention to him.

(Tentative based on actions/success of others.)

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:53 am

"Attack while it's pinned, we can wear it down."

"Haha! Finally something interesting."
August attacks again, trying to widen the gap in the armor.
(+2ATT again)

((I think this thing has 3 DR, so most of you might not be able to actually damage it. But if it works like Charlie, it will get weaker the more damage it takes. Gabe should try winding up a big hit, and Hiero could try shocking it. ))

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:21 am

(Agreed, Alaen.)

"We'll talk later, Sam."

Gabe runs across the room, aims for the base of the antennae, and smashes with all his might.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:43 am

Gabe dashes forward and whallops the creature right on the dome with everything he's got... it dents the spherical dome of the head somewhat, and the clank thrashes in response, knocking him to the ground, but not causing any injury. While it seems somewhat disoriented, it seems to have shrugged off most of the damage. He finds that a bit worrisome, knowing how hard he it it...

Ziou takes a moment to watch the clank and see if he can pick out any weakness to exploit. While the clank does superficially resemble a centipede, he finds his familiarity with finding the weakpoints in creatures doesn't seem to transfer well to clanks. If he had to guess, limbs are generally harder to hit, but easier to damage, though these limbs look quite tough.

August attacks the backside of the beast, the various clanks and yells coming from the fountain room at least letting him know his companions are putting up a good fight.
As his saber once again penetrates, his hatchet fails to find a gap, the blade sparking off to the side. The metallic beast twists away, one of the arms lining its back grasping his blade and yanking it from his grip, the saber clattering to the floor before the legs trample over it.

Charlie, seeing his fleshy companion partially disarmed, uses the tip of his spear to scoot the saber out from under the clankipede, it is near enough to August that he'll be able to pick it up without being in danger as long as it stays put.

► Show Spoiler
Battlemap!

Turn Order:
Sam
Clankipede
Gabe
Ziou
August
Charlie
Ursula <----
Enoch
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:54 am

Gabe will, when his initiative rolls around, step back to catch his breath. He'll take the opportunity to try to analyze it further. "August, I assume that's you back there. You doing okay?"
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:10 pm

"Thanks Charles. Can't do much without a weapon."
WearsHats wrote:"August, I assume that's you back there. You doing okay?"
"It's me and Charles, yes. We're fine for now, but I almost lost my saber. We seem to be damaging it, but quite slowly. How are things on your side?"

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:37 am

Ursula decides to add to the dent in the clankipede's noggin, and gives it a whack in the head in the same spot as it's already damaged.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:18 am

Ursula thumps it on the head with her trusty crowbar, but it barely leaves a scratch in the shiny dome.

Battlemap!

Turn Order:
Sam
Clankipede
Gabe
Ziou
August
Charlie
Ursula
Enoch <----
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:14 pm

Gabe calls back to August. "We're attacking the head. I gave it all I've got. But it doesn't seem to be doing much. We're just lucky it's stuck. You have any good targets back there? Any kind of joints in the armor?"

(Is there a good description of this thing somewhere? Or does "giant metal centipede" about cover it?)

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:18 pm

((I've described it when they first found it, but yes, giant metal centipede, with the front raised up and capped by a shiny sphere with antennae will give you a good start. Main exception would be that each segment down the trunk has a second set of appendages, these more armlike and pointing upwards.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:02 pm

"Maybe instead of denting the head, we can knock it off to the side?"

► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:58 pm

Like forcibly dissembling its head from its body? :D

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:36 pm

((You guys are so violent, Charlie should be glad he couldn't move when you found him! :). ))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:48 pm

(Oh, so we should attempt to reason with the mindless, wordless guard clank intent on killing us all? I'm all for non-violent solutions, but it seems a bit late to convince it that we're not hostile.)

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:03 pm

((It does speak, though granted, in a rather mindless automaton fashion. From what has been observed, it has paid very little attention to Gabe, Enoch or Ursula, beyond responses to being hit. It's focus is centered on Sam.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:25 pm

Do we see the barbs? Cause i have an idea that sam maynot like

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:10 pm

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:43 pm

"We aren't penetrating it! Drop the portcullis on it again!"

Seeing his knife do precious little against the clank, Enoch sprints back to the workshop as fast as his spindly legs will take him, wild orange hair whiffing behind him.

When he reaches the workshop he grabs the pliers, wire cutters and metal saw from Hiero's bench, and a fistful of wet clay from the stores. He then sprints back to the fountain room, dropping the saw and the clay.

(I assume thats turn but if he has any actions left, he will leap back into combat and attempt to cut or snap the antennae with the wirecutters and pliers.)
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:54 am

Sam gets an idea in his mind, runs to the gate leading to the circular hole where the others had fought the octosnake and presses the button on the wall to open the gate.