Shadow of Silver Ropes, Story Thread(looking for applicants)

Home to all current Forum Games.
LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Shadow of Silver Ropes, Story Thread(looking for applicants)

Post by LAYF » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:49 pm

Shadow of Silver Ropes -
Story Thread
The following is the thread that will house the stories written in game mentioned Here

The story will be posted one chapter at a time. (This may change later) and have no set schedule.

Players and non players alike are welcome to comment, but we ask that you keep all your comments in spoilers and remove the check in "Attach a signature" from your post. so as to make a more fluent reading experience for players and readers alike who would simply just like to enjoy the story.

Any applications for joining should be posted in The Thread In This Link and not here. If posted here they will not be taken up for consideration.

As we move through the story, this post will also be updated with links to each chapter and chapter parts. please bare in mind that Chapter and Chapter part links are "anchors" and thus will open up on the correct page, but in the case of some browsers will not scroll down to the right section before the whole page is loaded. if you chose to manually scroll or navigate before the page is fully loaded, some browser will take this as a command to stop the current script, and simply leave you where you are. thus not leading you to the correct location.

Thanks.

INDEX:

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Re: Shadow of Silver Ropes - Story Thread

Post by LAYF » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:49 pm

Intro: Crossing Paths

[anchor=001 goto=001]Crossing Paths, part I[/anchor]
"Well, you strike a hard bargain...but itÔÇÖs a deal." Ending the transaction with a handshake as he always did, Eddie slid the bow across the counter to the Elf as a pair of gems nearly the size of his fist were given as payment. The elf took the bow, and Eddie took the gems and they turned from each other thinking that they had gotten a great deal. Only one of them was right. He was always right.

"Magic Eddie" had got out of the adventuring business as soon as he realized there was more money to be made buying, selling, and trading magic items than there was risking your life for them. Unless you were in it for the "glory", but he wasn't that crazy... Or that stupid. But he was honest.

It was in fact an ancient Elven Bow and was in fact magical. It wasn't EddieÔÇÖs fault that the elf chose to believe all the rumors about what the weapon could do. If he wanted to know if it was all true he should have asked, and Eddie would have told him its less than epic properties...eventually. Unless another sucker came along first that is.

He dropped the gems into his backpack, which was always within reach, and actually stopped to appreciate the sound they didn't make. It was the one item he had never sold from his adventuring career. But then again, why would you get rid of a bag that seemingly has no limit to how much it can carry and lets you summon items out at your will. The enchantment, he had added later just in case someone did try to steal it.

Moving to the front door of his shop, Eddie pulled down the shade and turned the simple lock. In 20 years he had only been robbed once, and the mere coincidence that he had been inspecting a wand of disintegration at the time secured the rumors that the wards and magical traps on his shop were beyond deadly. Getting an illusionist to make it seem like those traps were there under detection was costly. Having said illusionist killed was even worse. But it had secured him a good future.

"This is the year," he commented to himself as he turned around. "End of the season and I'm out." He almost believed he might do it too. And then someone knocked on his door.

Eddie was known as THE man to go to for magical items in the city and his hours were just as common knowledge as his reputation. No one knocked on his door after hours, unless...

Turning around he saw the young man he had hoped he would never see. At least not at his shop. He didn't bother making the usual fake hand gestures to appear to remove the wards, there likely wasn't time. Still, he chuckled a bit when the boy jumped back as Eddie opened the door: a strong lie was so much better than the truth. "You better be here to piss me off Jimmy."

"No," the young man said after recovering from his wince. "He just arrived in the city. It won't be long."

Eddie could actually feel the blood drain from his face while his skin felt as though it were being electrified. "Take it and go Jimmy. And if I were you I would leave this city and never come back. He'll come for you when he can't find me."

The young man hesitated for a moment before crossing the threshold of "Magic Eddie's", and then hastily made his way to the back of the shop. Eddie grabbed a few of the cheaper magic swords he carried and dumped them unceremoniously into his bag. He grabbed a handful of armor gems since they were right there inside the counter. He was cursing himself awfully as the young man came back with two sheathed blades.

"Here," the young man said tossing the more ornate of the two in Eddie's direction. "Delgar's should get you a good bit. With this sword, I...

"Yeah kid," Eddie cut him off standing up. "Heard the story a thousand times. Mind if try not to get turned inside out now?"

The young man nodded and offered a quiet "go safely" before speeding out of the shop.

Eddie continued to curse himself as he pried up the floorboards behind the counter. There was no way he was leaving the crown. "Now. Of all seasons. I was going to quit anyways and that..." He took a breath as he peered into the dark hole in the floor at the crown that glowed with a sickly light blue. "Get it together Eddie," he cautioned as he unconsciously turned the ring on his finger. "Our neck isn't off the block yet." Eddie flinched when he grabbed the crown, something he did rarely, and moved it quickly to his pack as he felt its cold, possessing chill slowly creep into his fingers. "I pity the fool who buys that," he muttered as he dropped into his pack. He had it in his possession for a very long time, but when he found a buyer, it would bring the motherload.

As he proceeded back to his bed, he grabbed the cloak and wand that hung nearby, wrapping up the latter in the former, and then grabbed his crossbow and hung it on his right hip. He quickly tossed the cloak in the bag and then grabbed two teleport hoops off the wall: one in the bag, one on the counter to be used in just a moment. As he went back to his bed again he burned with frustration. It was a shame he would have to leave so many valuable items behind, but at least he had made a deposit recently.
As he cut into his mattress with one of the more rare blades that hung on the wall, he erupted with nonsense. "I'm a rabbit, my name is crap. I live in a house of cheese and am married to a rock." He could feel his fingers wrap around the box, but allowed himself no more conscious thought about it. This one he protected. This one he didn't even think about just in case somebody randomly happened to be reading his thoughts. And whatever it did, he knew it was powerful. "and eagles who ride ponies often dress in full plate" He concluded as he dropped the box into his pack, sweating profusely. He had only put that item in the pack once before and was still surprised the one inside the other didn't blow him to oblivion. Eddie looked around his shop one time, thinking for a moment that he might just make it back someday when he heard hoof beats in the distance.
"Yeah... time to go." Throwing the hoop from the counter onto the floor in front of it, Eddie put his pack on his back and moved to the edge just as ÔÇ£heÔÇØ stepped into the doorway.

In an instant magic collided. He saw a spell go off as he stepped into the hoop and experienced the familiar ripping-your-skin-from-the-bones feeling that came with the hoops power. He didn't know if he had made it until the pain subsided and he felt soft earth beneath his feet.
"Fuck," he gasped. And then he opened his eyes.

The trees were not right. The sky was not right. The smells on the air was not right. And in that moment he knew something went wrong and the hoop did not send him where it was supposed to which meant two things, neither of which were good.

"FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!"

[anchor=002 goto=002]Crossing Paths, part II[/anchor]
Well great! Simply just Fan-Frustrating-Tastic G-R-E-A-T!
How can anyone be expected to make a fire when all there is around is swampy wet after the morning rain!
"With this flint n' steel you could practically light a fire underwater I tell ya!" the old merchant had said, Yea right, at least Jacob had not been stupid enough to buy his "tent in a box" no-one west of the Silver spikes had any such magic, none of the common folks anyway!
Magic, how Jacob hated that thing! his life was just fine without it always had been! And for twenty-two years, season after season he had passed the test, no problems at all!
So why not this time?

Jacob thought drifted back a few weeks, he and his little brother Jarret had stood in line as always while the duke's men had slowly picked people out by name and one by one tested their blood!
When Jarret had been called up Jacob held his breath, his brother had been plagued by weird nightmares lately, and some rumors said that was a sure sign of magic awakening. But as the needle hit JarretÔÇÖs skin a single drop of red blood had fallen into the bowl of voices, a low sound like deep breath came as the water rippled, nothing out of the ordinary. Glad that his brother was safe he walked up to the men when he was called, stretched his right hand and threw a relieved smile back at his brother, everything was fine "ouch!" damn amateur stuck the needle way too deep "What are you doing!" Jacob said angry at the guard, no response, the guard just stared down, eyes wide and skin pale! Jacob followed his eyes down to the bowl, and there, right there was a single drop of nearly black blood, not mixing with the water, but flowing just above it, the bowl started to glow and the blood started to move around vibrating with an increasing loud noise!
A growing roar rose from all sides of the market as those close by figured out what was happening!
"MAGE!!!!" another guard screamed and Jacob snapped back into reality "I... I hereby place you u-u-un-der arrest, in the name of the" Smok! Jacob hit the guard in front of him hard in the face before he was able to draw his sword! No time to think! He spun around and ran for his house!

Stupid, How stupid he had been! Why did he run for the house? It had not taken the guards two minutes before they were breaking down his door! At least his mother had not been home! She was in her birth town, also to be tested!
Without thinking Jacob had taken a sack, pushed whatever there was on the table down into it and jumped out the window!

That was some two weeks ago and those 6 cobber heads and half loaf of bread had not lasted long, he even sold the two spoons and one of the two knifes for two extra cobbers! And here he was, driven wet, dirty, stinking cloth and only one knife, a holed sack and a flint and steel that did not even work at all! Was there any way this could become better?
Only one way to find out Jacob thought, he looked up on the gray topped mountains ahead of him! how he hoped the rumors were true, that there, on the other side of those impassable Silver spikes were a land where magic was common, where everyone wielded it, and none was hanged, burned and buried underwater publicly for showing even the remotest amount of power!

Only one way to find out!

ÔÇ£These hillside forests really eat up my energyÔÇØ Jacob thought to himself as he walked closer to the mountains, ÔÇ£Whatever will I do once it turns into real mountains? What the hell am I doing, there is no way I can make this, IÔÇÖm tired, hungry, thirsty and miserable, IÔÇÖm going to die out hereÔÇØ Jacob more fell down then sat up against a tree on the hillside,

As sat there and felt sorry for himself he looked back out over the hill. He could just make out the edge of the forest in the dimming light. there would not be more than an hour of sunlight left, and wild animals would start to roam That will be the end of me Jacob looked down on his hands, at the little puncture mark from where the needle had hit, No! He thought This is not okay magic got me in this mess, and Ill be damned if at least I dont try to use it to get me out of it!

Jacob picked up a tick branch nearby and started to concentrate, he wanted to will flames to ignite it, he wanted to make a torch! So he ripped off some of his sack, and wrapped it around the thick end. ÔÇ£Ignite!ÔÇØ he said out loud, ÔÇ£BURN!.... FIRE!...ÔÇØ Nothing! Jacob thought back on the old stories, how mages of the old was told to have battled by summoning fire and lightning, flying through the skies and even commanded armies of animated stone monsters to fight for them, and here he was, fleeing for his life because he was a dangerous mage that must be put down, and he canÔÇÖt even get a small branch to ignite. This was pathetic in more than one way.

ÔÇ£No point in sitting hereÔÇØ he continued out loud, and stood up, he started to walk deeper into the forest, this time slower and more hopeless than ever.ÔÇâ

[anchor=003 goto=003]Crossing Paths, part III[/anchor]
Eddie considered using the other hoop for a moment as fear and desperation gripped him. He should have been safe but now he didn't know where he was; he could be anywhere. The soberness of the thought rang through the fog of his mind: he didn't know where he was.

The hoop wouldn't work. Eddie was no expert on magic, he knew far less about how his items worked than he admitted to his customers. But he made it a point to understand their function as much as possible. The hoop could only teleport to a place that was known; his current surroundings were a clear indication that the spell had in fact caused the item to function against its nature, because he had never seen trees so tall, and nearly glowing with rich green color. But the hoop also required that you know where you are. So even though he had jumped here, there was simply no way to jump back...unless he could reproduce the specific magic condition which caused the error in the first place, and then assuming that it worked. "Crazy plans get you killed Eddie," he scolded himself as he actually considered the idea for an instant. And besides that, two facts made experimentation impossible: Eddie didn't know exactly how much you had to know about where you were before you attempted it, and there was no safety on the hoop. If you did something wrong, like try to teleport to a place you didn't know, it didn't just not work. It still tried to teleport you, only with no place to send you, it caused you to return to your destination after a while in a shredded mess. He had only seen it once, but it wasn't pretty and he assumed it was excruciatingly painful.

"Looks like you are an adventurer again Eddie," he mocked himself. There was a reason he had given that career up: safety. There was none to be had out here. He could be anywhere. Like a few trees away from an Ogre camp, or a den of wolves, or a dragon, or....worse. No, that wasn't possible. There was just no way he was followed. He concluded that the teleport had to have been too random for there to be any way for that. But he couldn't exactly sit here and wait for a stroke of good fortune. The only way he had ever received that was by going out and finding it. Still, he had no clue where he was.

Eddie set the pack on the ground and then he thought about the wand as he reached into his pack and instantly felt its rigidness under the cloak it had been wrapped in. Taking the cloak, he put it on, as he set the wand on the ground and spun it in a circle. It tumbled in an odd circle on the ground before coming to rest. As Eddie looked in the direction it pointed, he said to himself "That way, huh? Ok then."

Once he had secured the wand in the pack, he lifted it, making sure as always to grab it in just the right spot, and set off quietly. He kept his eyes peeled and his breathing shallow as he moved through the woods, and it was not long before he saw movement. A goose. Pausing, Eddie silently took the crossbow off his him and drew the string back and then loaded one of the bolts. Sensing that something was amiss, the way animals often do even though Eddie was over 20 feet away and obscured by the greenery of a large bush-type plant, the goose lifted its head and seemed to sniff the air. Both remained unmoving, but EddieÔÇÖs patience won out. The goose resumed its foraging and then Eddie moved forward a single step, extending his crossbow through the shrub, and fired.

The bolt had returned to the crossbow quickly, meaning it had struck his target rather than going flying off through the air. However, because it returned so quickly, Eddie wasnÔÇÖt able to draw the string back again, which caused the bolt to shatter as it tried to rematerialize in the same space that the string now occupied. He would need food, so the risk was considered, it was the honking of the goose as it flew off with a now wounded wing that angered him. He was sure his aim was dead on. Now he would have to traipse off through an unfamiliar forest looking for signs of a dying goose. ÔÇ£Yeah, this day canÔÇÖt get any worse.ÔÇØ

[anchor=004 goto=004]Crossing Paths, part IV[/anchor]
Right foot, left foot, right foot, left foot. Each step was a decision made after a fight with the part of JacobsÔÇÖs mind that just wanted to give up, that was when he saw it, a full fat goose just laying there in the ferns under a huge oak tree.
Jacobs slows his breathing, wills himself to be stealthy, this meal is only eight maybe ten feet from him and he is not letting it get away. He stretches his hands, demanding them to grip tight as he jumps.

I got it! I got it! He yells out in surprise as the goose is lifeless in his hands, still warm, and wet! Jacobs mind rages for a bit! Warm thick blood runs down his arm and he look at the goose, a hole in its site is the source, Did Did I do that? Jacob mumbles to himself, then he halts his thoughts, it might be that he does not like his magic, but if it is going to help him get food, who is he to say no to an easy meal. Finally with a little more spirit than in the last few days, Jacob begins to collect wood for a fire, a warm meal will be good, and this time he will not fail!
~
Tracking the goose was not that difficult. Eddie was no tracker, but a goose bleeding to death was not exactly silent. He heard it land in some kind of bushes with a crash a ways off and knew it was not that far away, only

Eddie felt his skin cool and there was a prickling sensation up the back of his neck. When he was an adventurer, he called it his ÔÇ£stupid senseÔÇØ as he generally only experienced it when the group he was travelling with was about to do something that likely had a high risk of death. Pausing and drawing a silent breath, he listened.

Not a sound.

Maybe he was just a fat, paranoid old man, he considered as he rubbed his belly. But he was still alive; better to be safe than dead. Like the steps of a dance that had burned into his memory, Eddie got into a crouching position and began moving silently through the woods towards the goose, making sure to circle around rather than approach it directly. The string on his crossbow had already been drawn back, he merely had to load a new bolt.

Moving closer he saw the person before he heard him. ÔÇ£Apparently this guy thinks he can just take my goose,ÔÇØ Eddie thought to himself. He raised the crossbow, remaining out of sight, and prepared to defend his prize, but then hesitated. He had no idea where he was and this was the first person he had seen. There likely were others...but how far away? What if this was the only helpful person for several miles? Reservation got the better of him and Eddie determined to shadow this one for a bit just to see what they might do.
~
ÔÇ£Oh this is so good!ÔÇØ Jacob says smiling and looking up in the skies ÔÇ£Gods! I donÔÇÖt know who of you to thank, but thank you so much!ÔÇØ
Not only had he found this fat goose, but firewood was plenty here including good tinder, he had found a small stream of clear water and to top his great turn of luck he had found a small group of Cooks pot mushrooms. These mushrooms was a bit boring in taste but they had a form and outer layer of skin that made them perfect to use as small pots to cook food in if you added some water

There was simply no way this could be better, and as Jacob took three mushrooms, removed the stalk, cut it into pieces and dropped it into its hat with water he even began to whistle and sing a little song while starting to try and light a fire yet another time
I felt this trip would be my doom,
But I caught a goose and I found a shroom!
Roasted bird for me today,
Mushroom stew, hip hooray!

I take my knife and cut a stalk


~
Having seen enough, Eddie stepped out from his place where he was hidden from view.

ÔÇ£So you just take any goose you seeing around huh? No care for who actually did the work of killing it?ÔÇØ

With a bolt already loaded in his crossbow, which he aimed at the man with his right hand. He left hand hung casually by his side, completely hiding the fact that it was very ready to pull the string back quickly. Losing bolts was not something that happened very often. But Eddie didn't think that this human was enough of a threat to take long to put down.

Immediately he cursed himself as he heard the growling, because apparently the wolf that stepped into the clearing had thought the same thing. It was large at the shoulders and had mostly grey fur, except for a ring around its neck that looked like a black necklace. With teeth bared and his front feet lowered and ready to pounce, Eddie knew this situation could go from bad to worse in the blink of an eye and could only say one thing.

ÔÇ£Well...shit.ÔÇØ
~
Looking up from his hands where he held the flint and steel Jacob swallows hard, He had heard how a wolf could be deadly even to a full grown man, but to make things worse, he had seen how a crossbow was deadly to, well, anything really he knew of... Eh... Ehm Wolf? he said in a low panicky voice and graphed for his crude homemade spear, not knowing where to point the sharp end he decided that the wolf might not listen to common sense and put it towards it.
ÔÇ£Could we maybe not discuss the ownership of dead birds right now?ÔÇØ he plead in the direction of the stranger with the crossbow!
~
ÔÇ£I hope this is not one of those intelligent wolves,ÔÇØ Eddie said flatly with no inflection whatsoever. He kept his eyes on the human because he knew to look at the wolf know would alert it. ÔÇ£Look kid...when I say so, I want you to take that stick brace the end in the ground, cuz that thing is coming for you first.ÔÇØ He saw the wolf tense ever so slightly, coiling tighter for the pounce as it growled louder. Mentally he readied himself for quick loading and hoped his aim was as good as it used to be.
~
ÔÇ£Intelligent?ÔÇØ JacobsÔÇÖs voice sounded terrified, but he listened to the old man, from the looks of it, he knew his ways around wild beasts far more than himself.
He tried to move slowly, going down to a low stance with the end of the spear reinforced on the ground for the impact! A shine in the wolf's eyes deceived its blood lust and it leaped forward ÔÇ£HEEELP!ÔÇØ
~
ÔÇ£Dammit!ÔÇØ It had leaped as soon as the kid moved and that was just a shade sooner than Eddie had hoped. He swung his vision and his aim to the wolf immediately, firing as his head turned, but his first shot was off, striking just in front of its rear legs. Hardly lethal. He felt the bolt reappear just as he got the string back, nearly appearing inside his finger, and he scolded himself and fired a second time. This time the bolt went dead center, but Eddie didn't leave it to chance. Stepping forward, he got off three more shots to the center body mass of the animal. He had fired all of the shots in less than 10 seconds, but it had seemed like an eternity. He couldnÔÇÖt tell if the stick had even hit the wolf, because it certainly hadnÔÇÖt punched all the way through it, not that it would anyway with one as big as this.

Eddie cautiously stepped forward, waiting for the motionless wolf which now covered where the man had been to jump again. Thankfully it did not.
ÔÇ£Are you dead under there kid?ÔÇØ
~
ÔÇ£Auch..ÔÇØ a voice came from under the fur, with a weight around the 100 pounds this wolf was far more than Jacobs exhausted body could lift, all he managed to do was move it a little aside so he could breath, his spear he held firmly in his hand. It had in fact hit the wolf and penetrated its right front leg and continued into the side of the wolf! The impact with its rib cage had made it break and cut into JacobsÔÇÖs hand. It hurt like hell but, now was not the time to worry about splinters!
Ehm Can I ask for help, or are you going to complete my so far fantastically horrible day by ending my life instead?
~
He honestly considered it for a second, but he was greedy, not heartless. ÔÇ£You too huh? LetÔÇÖs see if we can get this fatty off you.ÔÇØ

Eddie pulled the bolt from the crossbow where it has reappeared after the last shot and slid it into the empty slot on the side of the weapon designed to hold it, and then hung the weapon back on his right hip. ÔÇ£Ok if you stuck that thing shove it left...no right. To your right.ÔÇØ Eddie leaned hard against the wolf and pushed hard to help roll the animal off the man. Eddie was thick, but too much of that was now fat, and his strength had not been maintained like his senses had. After some heaving, Eddie stepped back as the man began to get up.

Red-faced, he put his hands on his knees and doubled over. His breath was frantic and he knew he was far too out of shape to be doing this kind of thing.
~
Eyeing the man and his weapon as he got up, Jacob started slowly So it was you who shot the goose? I thought for a second that He paused, not wanting to finish that sentence, he instead cleared his throat Ehm... I mean, Im sorry, Ive been walking these woods for some days now, and to be honest, the hunger has gotten the better of me, I did not even think as to why the animal was dead... Ehm but... It seems that now there is more than enough food for the both of us... if, if youd share with me, Im about to start a fire? Jacob wanted to ask more questions, but seeing as the man had not five minutes ago held him at point blank, and his only weapon, aside for a dull short knife, was broken. He did not feel like testing his luck with interrogations.
~
Eddie continued to gasp for breath as the man spoke. Sure kid..great.make a fire. He would have to get back into some kind of shape if he was ever going to make it out of here alive. He was embarrassed that he had let himself go this far, but he hadnt really needed to be in any kind of a shape. His life had been easy.too easy. Especially considering what was at risk every day. Even now

The thought made him shudder and stand upright. ÔÇ£Can you butcher an animal kid?ÔÇØ He took a few deep breaths between comments, beginning to catch his breath now. ÔÇ£I could try, but it wonÔÇÖt be pretty. Or tasty.ÔÇØ
~
Eh... Jacob said, not fully knowing what to answer as he was already trying to light the fire. His hunger really was greater than his fear right now Ehm, yes That I can do! Our local hunter is lazy, so all animals we buy are whole, and mom does not have the time to do that also he took out his knife and was about to begin the work, Ehm... You dont happen to have a wet stone on you? My knife is rather dull Jacob looked up at the old man.
~
ÔÇ£No can do kid,ÔÇØ Eddie said taking off his pack and setting it on the ground. He couldnÔÇÖt afford to just give his goods away, but he couldnÔÇÖt afford to die because he was out of shape and the man had nothing but a stick and a toothpick either. Opening up the flap of the bag he reached in and thought about one of the basic enchanted blades, feeling its hilt materialize in his grip instantly. ÔÇ£You can try this,ÔÇØ he remarked as he pulled the short blade out of the bag. It didnÔÇÖt occur to him at all that it might seem odd, a short sword coming out of a bag that couldnÔÇÖt possibly contain a weapon of such length.

Dropping the blade on the ground next to the man casually, Eddie spoke up before stepping into the woods. ÔÇ£And you can use that if something else shows up. ItÔÇÖs enchanted to be sharp. I'm going to make sure this bastard didn't bring any friends along.ÔÇØ As he stepped into the woods, Eddie began moving silently, stopping to listen often as he circled around what would be there camp for any indications that other wolves may be lurking nearby.
~
This was the second time Jacobs eyes widened at this man. Luckily he seems too hurried to give a damn about how Jacob looked at him. But where did that blade come from? And did he say it was enchanted? Surely not, he must have been from the southern part of the country. They always liked fancying their words and descriptions, yes, that must be the reason. But the blade did look sharp, so Jacob decided it was better than his knife, even if it was a bit large for butchering.

It wasn't long before Jacob had both animals cut open and ready for the fire. using the mushrooms as cooking pots he placed two bowls of goose and mushroom soup on the fire, and started putting the rest on his spear along with wolfs meat ÔÇ£He, so I get to stab you more than once with this fine weaponÔÇØ He said and mused over his wittiness at the wolfs cost, not that he guessed it cared now.

Soon a smell of roasted meat and soup started to fill the air, and Jacob had not felt this much hope in many days!
~
Eddie circled twice with no sight, sound, or sign of any beast having passed recently. He never picked up any real tracking skills, and hoped he didn't overlook something, but it seemed safe. He smelled the meat cooking as he returned and breathed a sigh of relief as he stepped into the clearing. ÔÇ£That smells good kid. If it tastes half as good, you got yourself a real talent.ÔÇØ

He picked up the bag with one hand casually and lofted it through the air towards the base of a tree. It was a good enough spot to sleep later. Sitting down near the fire, he spoke up again. ÔÇ£My name is Eddie. Where are we exactly?ÔÇØ
~
Hmm some ten or twelve days east of Dukes lake Id recon... Im not fully sure, Ive not eaten so much so my mind has been drifting a bit. but judging from the trees Im sure we are still in the Duke green forests, but if you can tell me from where and how long you have been going Im sure I can give a better guess, Ive had quite a few looks at old master Revils maps over at the inn, eh the Three scales and a can Inn if youve heard of it? Jacob said handing the man a shroom full of soup, and half a spear full of meat.
ÔÇ£Oh, and thanks for loan of the sword, that is really some fine craftsmanship you got there, good thing these forests are not known for bandits, because that would call them from miles away!ÔÇØ Jacob paused at the thought ÔÇ£Ehm... Not... Not that there is anything wrong with being a bandit that is if... you know someone who lives like that... Ehm... I...ÔÇØ Jacob looked down in his soup and started eating to shut himself up.
~
He took the food with a nod of thanks and a question: ÔÇ£DukeÔÇÖs Lake?ÔÇØ Eddie didnÔÇÖt know of such a place. And the only kingdom left was the one west by the mountains, but that was days from Aelindor, the city he called home. Other than that the only ones who bothered letting royalty govern them anymore were the elves and the dwarves. ÔÇ£Ok letÔÇÖs try this again because I don't recognize anything you are saying. How far to the west is White Top Range? You know the mountains that go as far as the eye can see from north to south?ÔÇØ

Eddie let the bandit comments slide. The man was nervous, so it was probably best that he didn't break out in a This one time story right now.
~
Jacob smiled a little ÔÇ£Yea, the Silver spikes are a few days, two maybe three east of here, but white mountains... that must be up north where there are some smaller mountain ranges, but that would put you more than a month from home, and that is by ship, so I guess you talk about thoseÔÇØ Jacob said and pointed up between the forest roof, where to the east, in the dark a light was beginning to rise as a beautiful veil of silver light that could be seen dancing on the night sky all year round.

ÔÇ£So, how far have you traveled?ÔÇØ
~
East? He couldnÔÇÖt be. But he heard what was said. And he was sitting in front of a human. He felt his stomach turn with the thought of the food that was in it, but it tasted so good. This whole forest couldnÔÇÖt be an illusion.

ÔÇ£I hope you are kidding, because that can't be right. My home city, Aelindor, is a weekÔÇÖs ride by horse from those mountains. A week to the West. And where I am sitting right now according to you is a complete wasteland where the conditions make anything living impossible.ÔÇØ Eddie scratched his bald head, as he often did when he was perplexed. Only that feeling was usually accompanied by his ÔÇ£stupid senseÔÇØ and this time it was not.

ÔÇ£So are you seriously telling me we are west of those mountains and somehow not in a land completely obliterated by magic and overrun with demonic hordes?ÔÇØ
~
Oh, I know this but you are getting a few things wrong Jacob said and put his hands through his hair, not even getting what Eddie was in fact saying, how is it, it goes... oh yea, Ill just skip to that part... ehhem
And the elven lords held high their spears and blade,
The time for peace had past and fell man far too late.
If man will sing a song of war and wave magic black,
The house of the elves will leave and turn his back.

And the king of dwarfs closed his gates sealing every door,
Because man had chosen poorly when man had chosen war.
If man will build his castle deep and strike for our right,
Man must build his defense high before he feels our might!

And so did elves and dwarf alike looked on us and sealed our fate,
When they ventured over mountains they also sealed the gate.
Demons roam the silver spikes and will seek out every man
ÔÇÿCause elves had told them that only our blood free them can!
Or that is what I remember it is 48 verses you know... I love legends! Can you imagine? Elves and dwarfs? Heh... I would love that to be real.
~
ÔÇ£Kid you are not listening,ÔÇØ Eddie snapped. ÔÇ£That is real. No elf or dwarf I ever met on the east side of those mountains mentioned a long poem about it. But if we are west of them, then the demons you mentioned are supposed to be right here. Killing and raping any life they find, which is none because they fucking killed it all.ÔÇØ Eddie catches his breath as he feels his blood rise. He is not a little confused. ÔÇ£Are you saying we are west of those mountains and there are no elves or dwarves on this side?ÔÇØ

If there was no elves or dwarves, would there be any magic? If there wasnÔÇÖt, would he be able to find out for sure that the other hoop wasn't damaged? It occurred to him for the first time that he might never get home at all.
~
Jacobss blood drained from his face, the sudden outburst really scared him Eh, ehm yes, I mean no... There are no elves or dwarves that I know of sir! panic started to rise in him, was this man mad? Only old wives and drunks believed the old stories. With a few exceptions of course... yes, that is it, he must give this information, maybe it will calm the nutball down Ehm... the only thing Ive heard of is that some some of the barons of the south west claim to be of elven descent... but that is it.. Uhm... sir? Eddie? he said shaking!
~
ÔÇ£Well thatÔÇÖs that then. Because none of our prudish elves would have sex with a human, much less impregnate one.ÔÇØ Eddie stood up and looked east. ÔÇ£So IÔÇÖm almost 2 weeks from home. If you don't count the treacherous demon-infested mountains that would take a month to cross only so you can get to a place that can't sustain life which is supposed to be here, but is there, even though itÔÇÖs not there since I left there less than an hour ago. I am so done with teleportation magic.ÔÇØ Eddie sits back down and looks at the man across from him.

ÔÇ£Kid, donÔÇÖt ever say ÔÇÿit canÔÇÖt get worseÔÇÖ because apparently it can. I don't suppose you know any wizards or anyone who can fix magic items?ÔÇØ
~
Jacob dared not take his eyes down, and swallowed hard as he answered ÔÇ£Wizards? Is that some kind of illegal mage? If so, no! And if not then IÔÇÖm pretty sure the answer is still no!ÔÇØ
~
ÔÇ£Yeah,ÔÇØ Eddie sighed. ÔÇ£IÔÇÖm definitely screwed.ÔÇØ Wherever he was, it was farther from home and safety than he had ever been.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Re: Shadow of Silver Ropes - Story Thread

Post by LAYF » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:28 pm

Subject: Shadow of Silver Ropes
SGTdude wrote:Just wanted to point out that this game is seeking 1-2 players at this time. If it looks interesting, you should apply.
-Best regards LAYF