The Watchtower (Anyone can play!)

Home to all current Forum Games.
GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Re: The Watchtower (Anyone can play!)

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:38 am

► Show Spoiler
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:03 am

Hmmm......

First wake the mouse and ask wear Alice has gone. if useful answer follow that if not here's an out of the box idea.

By chance has the magic mirror you are talking to us with changed (as if it has become a portal, mirror travel),can you try and put something through the looking glass ;)
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:49 pm

"Goo Goo Ga Joob!" Dillon called out to the Walrus and the Eggman.

"Gesundheit!" the Walrus called back.

The Eggman was more startled than anything. And even more startled when a beetle suddenly appeared at his feet.

The beetle looked around at the warring chessmen, and shook his head. "Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." he said.

The Eggman leaned over to get a closer look at the beetle. In so doing, he fell over, his shell shattering. Everyone rushed to help, but the horses got there first. Their well-intentioned efforts only made things worse.

Dillon backed away. It was clear he wouldn't be able to help, and, as a showman, he could see that he'd been upstaged.

Back at the table, he got up to date with Jeff's situation. Obligingly, he picked Jeff up and threw him forward into the air.

Jeff flew and joyfully danced through the air. He picked up speed. As he did so, he changed. His wings folded back and began to glow. His body became sleeker. Lastly, the letters spelling his name disappeared. With a flash of light, he flew off into the stars. In his belly, the rocks and building materials rolled back and forth. He was off to go help build a city!
► Show Spoiler
Where Jeff had been, Dillon found a brightly colored egg. He pocketed it.

He was going to wake up the mouse, pick up Hendricks, and go off to explore the rabbit hole. But the mirror (which had been shimmering oddly since shortly after they'd arrived on this level) had another suggestion for him. One which might just be a shortcut.

Dillon held the mirror out to Hendricks, and encouraged him (using gestures so as not to overwhelm his friend with the volume of his currently gigantic voice) to try to walk into it.

Hendricks, with some coaxing, stepped through the looking glass.

Dillon looked at the mirror and saw, rather than his own reflection or the words of the helpful goblins, Hendricks standing on a beach. He reached out a hand, and it went through! Somehow (whether by magic, contortionism, or both), he fit the rest of his body through. And pulled the magic mirror after him.

Dillon and Hendricks were both relieved to find each other at normal size. Dillon checked his pocket and found, oddly enough, that the mouse was still there.

The two looked around. They were on the beach of a tropical island. The sea stretched endlessly away from them. Along the shoreline, palm trees rose above a cool morning fog. There was a small sailboat beached nearby, but it looked like it had seen better days.

Turning around, they saw a line of mountainous volcanoes. These seemed to be dormant, but it was hard to tell if the vapor around them was fog and clouds or smoke.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:57 am

head to the sail boat and check it out.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:41 am

Check your pockets, if Jeff's egg is still in there, too! If so, examine that.

Also, make up your minds, if you actually want to leave this place here, please. There are WORSE places to get stuck, that much is for sure! :lol:
(Unless the volcanoes decide to get active all of a sudden...)
► Show Spoiler

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:51 pm

They'd better check their resources nearby. If they can't find fresh water nearby, they can't remain there, nor can they remain there if they meet a local group of cannibals. They don't want to go down, down, down in that burning ring of fire. (Assuming the volcanic chain curves) It will burn, burn, burn as the flames get higher.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:04 pm

Dillon checked his pockets. Yes, the egg was still there. Its shell was a swirling rainbow.

"Miss Gathers," he said, "you're right that this is a very charming and beautiful spot. I wouldn't mind staying here for a little while. (And don't worry, Dave; we have provisions to last us for a few weeks, at least.) But, laying aside for a moment that this world we see is almost certainly an illusion, Hendricks and I are wanderers and adventurers by nature. I don't see anyone around here for me to entertain, and there's certainly nothing to occupy a man with Hendricks's talents. We're not exactly cut out to be castaways. But thank you. It's good to remember to stop and smell the proverbial roses, even while trapped inside a mysterious tower where every floor is a wildly different illusionary world."

"If you can't enjoy that, what can you enjoy?" Hendricks offered.

"Well said, my friend. Well said. Oh, yes. And not to worry, Dave. (That seems an odd name for a goblin, come to think, but who am I to judge?) I don't see or smell any flames, much less a ring of fire." As he said that last, Dillon noticed some coins on the beach. They didn't amount to much, in terms of cash, but he picked them up anyway. They were stamped with the word "Johnny."

The pair then went to investigate the sailboat. It had clearly seen better days. Long neglected, it was far from seaworthy. A small chest held a scrap of paper. It looked like it had once been rolled up and sealed. There were some bits of rotted string and crumbled wax at the bottom of the chest, along with some colorful pebbles and shells, as well as a few assorted trinkets of no particular value. The paper itself was yellowed and faded, but appeared to be a child's sketch. It was impossible to tell what the drawing was supposed to be, but a child's painstaking yet still sloppy scrawl indicated that the artist had been named Jackie.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:45 pm

► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:57 pm

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:13 pm

Is that a cool fog, or an autumn mist? Hendricks and Dillon should watch out in case a dragon turns up, but take note that it is probably friendly.
I don't know what dragon eggs look like - but perhaps are they swirling rainbow?

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:52 pm

Of course, if the potential dragon is too annoying, they may want to destroy the Jackie paper.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:31 pm

Dillon looked at the mirror. "A dragon? You think there's a dragon around here? But you think it's probably a friendly dragon? Great! Well, thanks for the head's up." Nervously, he looked around. No obvious sign of a dragon where they were. Nothing he could see in the sky, either. But that might explain why no one seemed to have been here in a long while.

"Jack (or is it Ridcully? Or Mr. Jack?), I'm not sure what kind of egg this is. We found one at the top of the tower, near something that turned out to have nothing to do with finding the door down to the next level. It had a red herring inside. We got this one after helping a metal bird take off and leave for another world. That was just before we got to this level. I'm not sure what, if anything, to do with this one." He shrugged and put the egg away.

"Speaking of not being sure what to do... do you kind goblins have any suggestions for us? You've told me you think there's a dragon around, but you haven't suggested any actions, except for possibly destroying this paper if we encounter the dragon and feel threatened. Does that mean we should take it with us? Assuming you want us to go somewhere, that is..."

► Show Spoiler

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:11 pm

Hey Dillon, you can call me Jack, but Ridcully is fine too.

Well, we probably can't tell what Jackie's picture is of without being able to talk to Jackie, who has probably grown up.
(The recognised method for finding out what an unrecognisable picture is of is to the ask the junior artist a vague question, like "tell me about this part here", to which you usually get told "that's where the fire engine is fighting the robot dragon" and you can go from there.)

So, some actiions to try.
* Look around and see if there is anything near the beach which is similar to anything in the picture. (Any chance we could see the picture?)
* Walk over and check out the palm trees. Toss a coin to decide who's going to climb the tallest one and have a look around.;
* Wake the doormouse, see if he has any useful song lyrics information for us, and if he'd like to have a nap on the beach. (It's always nice to take a nap on a beach, so the doormouse should get the opportunity to do so).

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:22 am

Craft a necklace or two from the sea shells. Wear them.
While you are up on the tallest palm trees: get some coconuts or something to eat. Lay on the beach and relax a little. Watch the clouds. You have earned yourself a breather. :thumbsup:

The Hendricks could look around in the ship some more. Maybe there are some secret compartments in the chest or there is something of value among the trinket, after all. Or anything useful.

Go check out the fog/smoke. Is there any place where it's more dense, more thick? Try and go there and see what's causing it.
► Show Spoiler

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:19 am

Okay, perhaps you should bring those odds and ends, the paper, the string, and the wax with you while you search for a cave on the island.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:47 pm

"Jack, then. A fine name in the tradition of knaves and jesters. Like good old Jack Florey. ... But you wanted to know about the picture. I regret that I cannot show it to you; the mirror doesn't allow for such things. But there really isn't much to see. It's possible that the triangular thing over here is supposed to be the sailboat, but equally likely that it's a tree. Really, there's just enough left to tell that it was a drawing at some point. It's too faded and water-damaged to make anything out for sure. We're lucky enough that the way it was rolled protected the signature (and I had some trouble making out even that much)."

Dillon conferred with Hendricks, who readily agreed to climb a tree to scout the area. While he was up there, he knocked down a few coconuts. Dillon mimed being hit with one, stiffened, and fell over dramatically into the sand, but Hendricks ignored his friend's antics. Instead, he took a good look at their surroundings. The beach stretched out for a good length in both directions before curving away out of sight. Further inland, palm trees gave way to denser growth. Ferns, bushes, and trees of various kinds all seemed to thrive in the tropical climate and rich volcanic soil. A swath of soft pink indicated what might be a line of cherry trees down by the nearest mountain. The morning fog was denser in the humid air near the shoreline, but it also pooled at the base of the mountains. Still, it was possible that a denser patch there could be smoke rather than fog.

With all the plant life - some of it fruit-bearing - they weren't likely to starve any time soon. That is, if they were willing to eat anything here. Hendricks was resolved to survive on his own provisions, but Dillion had been willing to eat and drink on the last level. And he had survived doing so, much to Hendricks's surprise and relief.

Hendricks climbed back down the tree to find Dillon lounging comfortably in the sand. (The doormouse, as much a stranger to this world as they, hadn't had anything useful to add, but had happily burrowed into the sand for a nap.) It did look relaxing, but Hendricks wasn't in the mood to relax. Not while they were in the clutches of a quite possibly hostile magic which had trapped them at the top of a tower for reasons unknown. He certainly wasn't about to drop his guard while surrounded by a world created of illusion. So he pulled Dillon up and asked what else they were to do.

"I'm to make a necklace of trinkets and shells, and you're to explore the boat to make sure I didn't miss anything."

Hendricks looked like he was going to question the necklace idea, but then he shrugged. Stranger things had served them well in their adventures over the years. So, while Dillon went about looting a child's forgotten treasures, Hendricks employed his years of roguish experience to minutely search the boat. He didn't find anything new, but it had been worth the effort to be sure. He looked back to find Dillon wearing a string of shells and beads around his neck while cheerfully juggling half a dozen coconuts.

Hendricks scowled. Dillon, still juggling, closed his eyes, sniffled, and put on a wounded and downcast expression. He put a sorrowful hand to his chest. The coconuts began to fall... right into depths of his Bag of Tricks. The last one, however, missed. It fell off the edge of the bag and rolled down. Dillon caught it on his foot and then kicked it into the air - straight at Hendricks. Hendricks deftly snatched it out of the air, and, with a single efficient motion, stowed it in his Bag of Holding.

Dillon opened his eyes and got back to business, but there was a smile on his face. (Which, come to that, was not so very unusual.) "We're to search for a cave. Well, there's obviously not one here, on the beach. If there's a cave, it would be in the mountainside."

► Show Spoiler

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:18 am

Right, right, so about the cave, go tell us on the mountain.

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:58 am

Head for the cherry trees; I expect they're along a lane, of sorts. There's probably hardly any dragons waiting for you there; not a blaze of dragons at all.

Did you know that the collective noun for a group of dragons is a 'blaze'? Or a doom, or a flight, or a weyr, or a wing... These are useful things to know! Don't fret, there's surely close to zero dragons nearby.

Hendricks, if you could bring yourself to frolick a little, that would be splendid (it seems like such a lovely day).

Please take Jackie's paper with you, and any other fancy stuff that takes your fancy. Don't forget the dormouse, bring him too.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:26 am

*laughs, claps and cheers at Dillon pretending to get hit by a coconut, and later at his and Hendricks joint trick with juggling and 'packing' the coconuts away* :cheer:

I'd suggest that you go check out where the fog/smoke is densest. But cherry tress is fine, too.

Oh, and ask the sleepy mouse his/her name, please. If they are going with you as traveling companion, you might as well know their designation. It's about time to act a bit more politely towards them. :lol:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:27 pm

"Jack, I don't know about your world, but where I come from the collective noun for a group of dragons is Ohcrapohcrapohcraprunforyourlife!"

Hendricks looked at the jester. The ghost of a smile played across his lips.

"I saw that! You smiled! Ha!"

Hendricks put on a stern expression. "Hmm. Believe what you will. But remember we're in a world of illusions."

Dillon gasped with feigned shock. "Was that a joke? Bestill my heart, I think it was! Or near enough!" He slapped his friend on the back. "We'll make a joker of you yet! And, come to that, our goblin friends have a request for you..."

"I have a bad feeling about this..."

"They say you should frolic in this lovely Autumn mist."

Hendricks cleared his throat. "I do not... frolic."
"Ah, well." Dillon shook his head sadly. "I tried." He looked back at the mirror. "Well, at least Miss Gathers appreciates my art." He did a stage bow and came up with a flourish. "It's so nice to have an appreciative audience."

"I appreciate you," Hendricks said.

"You do?" Dillon asked, perking up.

"Of course. You make an excellent distraction while I do my sneaking around."

"Well, I'm just happy to serve a purpose in life."

The friends shared a moment of silent companionship. Then Dillon got back to business. "It looks like the consensus is that we should head for the mountain over there. But first..." He picked up the doormouse, who was still happily sleeping in the warm sand. Picking him up was enough to wake him, at least for a little while. "Hello, little fellow. Do you have a name? I'm terribly sorry that we've taken you all this way and never thought to ask."

"Hrmph. You never thought to ask many things. Including whether I wanted to come along at all. Fortunately, this place is lovely. Very cozy. But no, I have no name. People have always just called me the Doormouse. It is what I am, after all. I suppose, if you wanted, you could give me a name. But Doormouse will do just fine." With that, he settled back to sleep. Dillon put him away in his pocket.

"And now, on to the mountain. My people, let us go!" He gathered up the trinkets and the paper, and led the way.

As they walked through the foliage, down what seemed to have once been a path, they felt a breeze coming from up ahead.

"Keanu," Hendricks said.

"What?"

"It's an island word I learned once. It means 'cool breeze over the mountaintop.'"

"Huh. That's beautiful. Poetic, even. I should use that someday..."

Hendricks nodded, but then froze, cocking his head attentively.

"What is it?"

"There's a sound. A voice, I think. The wind cries 'Mary.'"

They walked forward. The voice - no, voices - got stronger. Two boys were searching through the forest, calling out "Mary!"

► Show Spoiler

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:47 pm

Go and find the boys (or to the boys, if you can see them already) - I suspect Dillon will charge ahead capering madly, while Hendricks follows more sedately with a slightly resigned attitude.
If you have time to ask them a question, find out who Mary is, and if they need any help, and if they know where any caves are nearby. (Do they sound like spelunkers?)

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:49 pm

So Peter and Paul have lost Mary.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:40 am

► Show Spoiler
Dillon, please look into your bag of tricks if it contains anything that might attract those boys. If so, use it to help you and Dillon find them faster (or rather make them find you).
Keep a look out for 'Mary', too, please.

@ Dave:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:56 am

We have clues hinting at the song "Puff the Magic Dragon", as I believed people had mentioned, the group which created the song being Peter, Paul and Mary. Thus, the two men or boys looking for Mary must be Peter and Paul. The reason that Mary (Travers) may be missing is she died of leukemia back in 2009. The other two, Peter Yarrow and Paul Stookey, are still alive as far as Wikipedia reports.

And regardless of what some people have claimed, the song has never been about puffing anything.

As we don't see Puff frolicking with the Jackie paper, we may assume it's failed to come, and, thus, Puff has silently slunk into his cave.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:44 am

Dillon moved to talk to the boys, who had broken through the foliage to appear ahead on the path. Dillon had dealt with more children than he could count over the years, and he could tell that these kids were not in the mood for tricks and games (more's the pity).

"You boys need help?" he asked kindly.

"We're looking for our friend Mary," Peter explained.

"We were playing together, but we lost track of her in the woods," Paul added.

Dillon and Hendricks took a quick look around, but there was no sign of the girl.

Up ahead, a line of cherry trees stood alongside the path, leading towards a cave. A faint cloud, which might have been smoke, rose from the entrance.

► Show Spoiler