The Watchtower (Anyone can play!)

Home to all current Forum Games.
ThroughTheWell

Re: The Watchtower (Anyone can play!)

Post by ThroughTheWell » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:01 pm

Go ask Alice.
► Show Spoiler
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:29 pm

(and there's 'Dillon' himself, of course, which you appear to have missed again. Since Hendrix didn't write All Along The Watchtower, Bob Dylan did.)

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:54 pm

nikohl:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:15 pm

ThroughTheWell wrote:nikohl:
► Show Spoiler
TTW. You're being an over-defensive dork again. As far as I have seen, you do this every time anyone says anything to or near you, and this is why I don't interact with you very often. This isn't the first time you've jumped down someone's throat for daring to participate in something in a way that doesn't suit you, and it's getting bloody old.

I was trying to join in with the pop culture references in the game. You ignored me when I mentioned Bob Dylan before - as the original writer of All Along The Watchtower, the song you posted the lyrics to - and I pointed out that you missed it when I said it last time, that's all. You chose to assume I had an attitude or that I did something to you, or that I was trying to make this into a competition or "poking at you", none of which is true. So take your rabid underdog complex elsewhere, because I didn't do a damn thing to you.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:48 pm

nikohl:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:34 pm

I was hoping not to break character once the game started, but it seems people have misunderstood some things. So here's a note from your GM.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
While I'm posting: I've had a rough couple of nights. I'm tired and grouchy and spent most of yesterday with a pounding headache. I don't expect today to be any better. And, given that I haven't begun to catch up on sleep, tomorrow isn't looking good, either. I'll post updates when I'm up to it, but expect delays for a while. Keep posting suggestions, if you have any.
Last edited by WearsHats on Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Reworded some things to make it more general
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:45 am

Sorry, Wears. It was not my intent to derail your game.

TTW, I previously worked on the understanding that you were socially awkward but well-meaning; I have revised my opinion of you and now believe you are just a troll. I have put you on my block list. It shouldn't impact either of us negatively going forward, it'll just save me getting annoyed quite so often. Enjoy the game.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:38 am

And back to story,
check out the metal bird more.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:21 am

The mouse is probably hiding the way on. It is likely a doormouse after all. So after growing large enough to both pour the tea from the teapot and move the mouse to the side so you have access to the door, move the mouse and have a bit of tea so you can fit through the door you uncover.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:52 pm

"Whoa," Dillon said, "we seem to have hit some kind of time warp. Strange. But no stranger than anything else around here."

"Time warp?" Hendricks quirked an inquisitive eyebrow.

"It's been a few minutes since we got to the bottom of that staircase, but it looks like it's been weeks for the goblins."

"Weeks?"

"Yeah. Weeks." Dillon shrugged. "I was never quite sure how this magic mirror worked, anyway. And it's had an odd sort of shimmer on this level of the tower."

"Huh. If they've had weeks, did they come up with anything helpful for us?"

"Let me see... some fighting amongst themselves... well, they are goblins, after all... Hmm... One of them says we should eat the cakes."

Hendricks's eyes grew wide, and he shook his head emphatically. "No way! You never eat the food in a dungeon crawl! Do these goblins know nothing?"

"They knew enough to get us this far..."

"What else did they say?"

"We should move the mouse." After a moment, Dillon chuckled. "Remember when we tried to get help with the magic mirror back when we were stuck in that forest of apple trees? And everyone kept telling us we had to use the mouse? And we kept telling them there was no mouse? And they kept going on about how you can't use an apple without a mouse?"

"Oh yeah. Now that was a real helpful bunch."

"I still wonder about them. Their world must be very interesting. Or at least the drugs in their world."

"Never mind about that. We're supposed to move the mouse. And this time there really is a mouse, so that's good. What else?"

"Take a closer look at that metal bird over there."

"Good enough for me. It will take an hour to walk over there from here. Might as well get going..."

Hendricks started out, but Dillion paused, thoughtful. Hendricks followed his friend's gaze. "Oh, no. You're not seriously thinking...? You are, aren't you? You... you..."

"Fool?" Dillon asked, cracking a wide smile. He jingled the bells on his hat for emphasis.

Hendricks shot his friend a sour look. "That's the word."

"Look, they seem to know something we don't. We asked for their help. I'm going to give it a try."

Hendricks looked like he wanted to object again, but he stopped, shoulders slumped. "Your funeral, old friend."

Dillon gave Hendricks a slap on the shoulder. "You always know just what to say!" Then he playfully flipped and tumbled over to the plate of cakes. "In for a penny, in for a poundcake!" He grabbed a crumb the size of his fist and bit into it. "Hey, not bad. A little tangy, a tad heavy on the salt, but not... Ooo, I feel funny..."

"I told you --" Hendricks cut himself off. He rushed over, his face a mask of concern. He started digging through his supplies for healing potions and antitoxins. A moment later, however, he was knocked back as Dillon began to grow. Rapidly.

Dillon soon found himself standing on top of what was now clearly a table. He jumped down, but kept growing. Before long, he was a giant standing next to what seemed to be a child-sized tea party perched on a small hill. Down below, people were gathered in what looked to be a game of human chess.

Dillon panicked for a moment. Being this big did not feel right. And he was afraid he'd be spotted by the people down below. (It was hard to be sure from this distance, but they didn't look too friendly.) But then he remembered having read something about this in the magic mirror. He pulled it out. Thankfully, his clothing and equipment had grown with him.

Again, the mirror shimmered. But it quickly settled back on the goblins' words. "Ah, yes. Drink the tea to get smaller. Thank you. That could have been a problem." He gingerly gripped a now-tiny teacup between his thumb and index finger and sipped from it. He shrank a little. He sipped again, until the table seemed about the right size.

Hendricks had watched all this in amazement, but made no move to eat the cake. Clearly, he still didn't trust it. Dillon decided not to push it. Instead, he picked Hendricks up and carried him to the other end of the table. If Hendricks protested, Dillon couldn't hear. He set Hendricks down next to the metal bird and then picked up the mouse.

The mouse woke up. "Hey, what do you think you're doing? You disturbed me from a very nice nap! That's not very nice, is it?" Dillon was about to apologize, but the mouse fell back asleep before he could get a word out.

Sadly, there did not seem to be a door underneath the mouse. It had seemed like a good idea...

Hendricks, meanwhile, had brushed himself off and composed himself, trying to regain his dignity. Then he approached the bird. It didn't move, but he still got the sense it was aware of him somehow. On the side of the bird, he saw the letters JEFF.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:38 am

Dillon: pocket the sleepy mouse (you never know when you need one!) and then look around for a door. Maybe you can spot one, now that you are the right size for the room.

Hendricks, KISS the bird. :lol:
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:07 pm

KISS it? Free it!

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:10 pm

Dillon looked at the magic mirror.

"Henricks?"

"OW! YES?"

"One second. I can't hear you."

Dillon picked Hendricks up and brought him closer to his face. He tried to whisper.

"You're not going to believe this."

"What is it this time?" Hendricks, struggling to maintain his dignity, looked resigned.

"They want you to KISS the bird. And, uhm, try to free it."

Hendricks looked like he was going to say something, but apparently decided it was more trouble than it was worth. He sighed and then nodded. Dillon put him down.

While Hendricks looked at the bird and pondered the idea of giving it a KISS, Dillon looked back at the shimmering mirror.

Obligingly, he looked around for a door. But all he saw were rolling hills, the fierce chess battle down below, and the table set up for tea. There was nothing like a door. The only thing that looked at all like an opening was a small hole at the base of a tree.

He put the sleepy mouse in his pocket. The motion was enough to rouse it again. "Hey! What do you think you're doing? This is not polite behavior at all! It's hard enough to sleep with you shouting so much, but now you take me from my tea and just drop me in your pocket? Without so much as trying to talk to me? Not even a 'by your leave'? Have you no manners? ... Although, I must admit, it is rather warm and comfortable in here..." The mouse dropped off to sleep again.

Down on the table, Hendricks finally talked himself into giving the metal bird a KISS. As he approached to do so, he saw his reflection in the metal. Somehow, it looked like he had black and white makeup covering his face. At first, he was going to blame the jester (who did, after all, do face paints), but then he realized it was impossible for Dillon to have done this under the circumstances. Must have been a trick of the light. He leaned in and gave the bird a KISS.

"Calling Dr. Love..." The words seemed to drift in the air, having come from nowhere in particular. Hendricks wasn't even entirely sure he'd heard them at all. There was just too much strangeness here. Maybe he was going out of his mind.

"Well, hello there!" The bird said. "Thank you for the kiss. I'm flattered. But I'm sorry to say I don't lean that way. You're good looking as humans go, but just not my type. I understand, though. We all want somebody to love."

"*ahem* Uhm... No. I... uh..." Hendricks took a moment to compose himself. "Hello. I didn't mean it that way. Someone just suggested I try that. I'm not entirely sure why. But it did get you to talk, so that's something. They also suggested I try to free you..."

"Ah, to be free as a bird..." Jeff sounded wistful. "If only. I don't know that you can help. But I'm stuck here. Lord knows, I can't change. I wish I could. The crew is waiting for me."

► Show Spoiler

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:19 am

Crew? Which crew?

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:55 am

► Show Spoiler
Erm, I dunno. Henricks: Roll some stones down the rolling hills, yelling "I can't get no satisfaction!"
Also, find out what is holding the bird. If it's the cage, try to find a way to open it. Does the door of the cage have a lock or anything? Is the bird chained to the cage?

Dillon: Check out the small hole in the base of the tree.
And see if you recognize the layout of the land around you. You wanted to get off the tower, and the tower is nowhere to be seen right? Mission accomplished, perhaps? You could just walk a few of Henricks' steps away, eat and drink the right amount of tea and tea cakes to be your normal size again and walk off into the sun set, going on with your life. But that would be boring, wouldn't it? o:)
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:10 am

(...Motley crue maybe? Bit of a genre shift...)

Try seeing whether the bird wants any of the shape changing cake. Might not work though.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:56 am

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:03 am

Ask the white knight on the chess board where to go but beware he may talk backwards.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:31 am

I didn't even think about a cage. Haven't you ever heard "Free Bird"? There are only a few birds I remember from Alice's adventures, the crow that troubled the Tweedles and the flamingo croquet mallets. Neither seems to be this one. It's possible that hole in the tree is a rabbit hole. I wonder just how deep it goes. Curiouser and curiouser...

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:19 am

Course he's heard freebird. He quotes the lyrics.

I'm out of ideas though :/

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:30 pm

► Show Spoiler
Dillon looked at the shimmering mirror. He saw that most of the suggestions were for Hendricks. Rather than trying to whisper to his now-diminutive friend, he showed Hendricks directly what he was supposed to do.

Hendricks walked back to Jeff. "What crew is waiting for you?"

"Oh yes. I should have explained. There's a construction crew. They're building a new city, and I'm supposed to bring them the supplies they need. The problem is those supplies are so heavy I can't take off. If I could just get into the air, I'm sure I'd be okay. It takes a lot to get off the ground, but once I'm up my wings can hold me."

"Hmm. There are these tea cakes here that make you larger. I could give you one of those if you want. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it. I never trust the food you find in these places. But Dillon seems to be okay so far."

"I don't know. I don't usually eat animal food. Sugar isn't good for my digestion. And making me bigger would make me heavier, too. I think I'd still be just as stuck. But if you think it could work, I'd be willing to give it a try."

"We'll see what our goblin friends think."

"Goblins?"

"Yeah. ... Don't ask. But they've been helpful so far." Hendricks considered the other thing he was supposed to do. Unfortunately, he was still small and on top of the table, so he wasn't really in a good position to go throwing boulders around.

Dillon, meanwhile, tried to run away. He figured he could always come back and get Hendricks if it worked. He jogged over the nearest hill, then kept going towards the horizon. He went over another hill, then another. It seemed like he was getting away! He kept going... And found, over the next hill, the table with Hendricks and the bird.

Next, he took a closer look at the hole at the base of the tree. There wasn't much light, and he was too big to get in close, but it did appear to be a rabbit's den.

He got up and cautiously moved closer to the chess players. Fortunately, they seemed engrossed in the game. As he approached, he noticed that many of the players seemed... odd. One of them seemed to be a giant egg. Another was, for some reason, dressed as a walrus.

At the far end of the board, the Red Queen shouted "Off with her head!"

"I don't think that's your line, Dear," the Red King called back. "That's the other Red Queen."

"Oh yes, thank you, Dear. I didn't mean to be so tart."

Dillon sifted through the chaos to find the White Knight. The knight had fallen off his horse and landed on his head. Dillon helped him back up, noting as he did so that the horse was equipped with many unusual things, including a mousetrap and an empty beehive. But he had to admit he'd seen stranger things in this place. Maybe they served a purpose here.

"Thank you, my gaily dressed friend. Well met."

Dillon gave a courtly bow. "Humbly glad to be of assistance, sir knight. But if I might ask a favor in return?"

"Certainly, certainly. What can I do for you?"

"Can you give me directions out of here?"

"Directions? Hmm. I'm sorry to say I don't think I could be of much help. I can only move a few squares at a time. I would suggest you go ask Alice, but she just left, and I'm not entirely sure how. I think you need to speak to the White Rabbit."

"Well, I'm just glad you're not talking backwards. Someone warned me you might."

"Yes, someone got very confused about that a while ago. It's our books that appear backwards, at least from your perspective."
► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:35 am

Jeff...has...an...airplane? ┬░-┬░

The egg man and the walrus might respond to goo goo ga joob.

Sorry Wears, I can't focus on anything non-song related, the lyrical elements are too distracting! But maybe someone should follow Alice down the rabbit hole at the base of the tree.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:39 am

► Show Spoiler
Can Dillon help the bird get the construction materials where they need to be? If so, please do it.

Also, Dillon should very VERY carefully pick up Hendricks (in doubt after the bird business has been handled) and place him near the rabbit hole, so Henricks can inspect it. :thumbsup:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:00 pm

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:59 pm

Dillon should help Jeff to get flying, by lifting him up and giving him a bit of forward momentum. Bon voyage, little bird! (Come back soon).
Then I agree that Dillon should carefully get Hendricks off the table and put him near the rabbit hole so he can inspect it. Maybe Hendricks should have a little whinge about having nothing to do and being treated as subsidiary to Dillon's whims.