Random Thread 2: Social plane shifting?

Home to all current Forum Games.
Quarg

Re: Random Thread The Electric Bongaloo: A Whole New Thread

Post by Quarg » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:19 am

Dlover wrote:... Wasn't Cleopatra supposedly a near genius militaristic mind, and the one who beat Caesar by manipulating his affections for her? I really don't think any sane person would think a cat could earn that sort of claim, even in ancient Egypt.
LooksAndSmiles wrote:I suddenly regret following this topic thoroughly.
Try having failing eyesight and a tendency to miss only the important parts of a text. Then you would regret being thorough. Which is why I won't be. That would just be stupid of me, should this thread pick up the speed of the last.
Er...Sort of hard to make out considering she also married both of her brothers...
She might have been the most manipulative, genius female ruler ever...

Or she could have been a high born girl who just liked to latch onto the most powerful male available...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:20 am

I'mBob wrote:So we have a new thread for this, huh?
I think Burns only did this so she can have the first spot in the new thread... :roll:
Didn't she also start the old one? ;)
She is actually right. If a thread becomes to long there can appear problems with the SOL-statements in the background while loading it, even if it is only a limited number of entries per page and only one page that is shown to you in the end.
:zzz:

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:21 am

Nerre wrote:
I'mBob wrote:So we have a new thread for this, huh?
I think Burns only did this so she can have the first spot in the new thread... :roll:
Didn't she also start the old one? ;)
Umm yes...

Maybe... Maybe she just wants to fill this forum with random threads which were opened by her for some kind of dark ritual to summon a demon... :shock:

Once we reach Random Thread num 666, we are doomed!
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:27 am

Are you sure it isn't random threads page 666 that will cause goblins to enter our world and wreak havoc?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:43 am

Actually I started the last one, and she stole it :P

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:43 am

A mod can do that? Evil!

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:51 am

Nerre wrote:@Dlover: At least you got tests, nothing like that in germany. Maybe cause we are still too afraid to show patriotism in any kind except sports, cause it might be interpreted wrong.
Really? People still think that? Sheesh, leave it to one guy to ruin all the fun for a country.
Dlover wrote:I can assure you you don't like my cat. My cat is not a cat, it's actually a soul eating beast from beyond this world.
Which is why you're DLover instead of CLover?

I love cats, but am allergic.
Quarg wrote:Are you sure it isn't random threads page 666 that will cause goblins to enter our world and wreak havoc?
Depends on which reality they're from...
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:54 am

Nerre wrote:A mod can do that? Evil!
She wasn't a mod at the time, but she had backup from Mort (who was a Game mod) and Moose (an Admin). While I was only a Controversy mod at the time. Just read the first few pages of the other thread, and you'll see what went down.

(It was totally an unfair fight :puppy: :glare: )

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:59 am

I pity the fool you. I know how that feels.

Also go and post for Punches, you did not do it this turn!

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:46 am

Quarg wrote:Or she could have been a high born girl who just liked to latch onto the most powerful male available...
Really? Pretty sexist comment don't you think?

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:24 am

IIRC, she married them to circumvent some laws and become a ruler.

About stealing threads, that's exactly the reason why you would want to bump your post count with various junk. You'll have posts to sacrifice for a takeover.

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:37 am

building trash armour is quite hard, esspecially if your crush failed her exam again is is pretty depressed
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:05 am

gamecreator wrote:IIRC, she married them to circumvent some laws and become a ruler.
According to the BBC, she was Queen alongside her brother (they married as was common to preserve their deistic bloodline), but was later exiled from Egypt by him (reasons unclear). She used marriage to the Roman leaders to secure a political alliance allowing her to reclaim the throne from her brother.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:18 am

thinkslogically wrote:
Quarg wrote:Or she could have been a high born girl who just liked to latch onto the most powerful male available...
Really? Pretty sexist comment don't you think?
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:28 am

Actually I have to agree. If anything it was sexist towards her brothers, not towards her, although the phrase may have been unlucky. And since today nearly nobody cars about people being sexist against men, especially if a man is writing it, we shouldn't get too worked up. Normally I oppose that, but it was not that serious and grave.

She used marrying her brothers as an instrument to come to power, I think that is Quarg's core statement in there. So if anybody was an abuser, it was her. But I think it was rather a win-win situation, since it meant they did not have to kill or poison anybody to come to power, like the romans did at that time so often.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:47 am

Damn. I traded away a copy of Starbound for the promise of an artwork commission, and I awoke to find the guy off my friends list and I can't for the life of me remember their username. I think they took it and ran.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:50 am

I'm not looking to derail the thread about it, so I'll leave it that disliked your description of Cleopatra as a 'girl' (which is pretty belittling considering for better or worse she was one of the most significant political leaders of her time) and your use of 'latch onto' (in the modern sense as you describe being similar to 'leech off'). I appreciate it wasn't your intent, and thank you for clarifying that!

Nerre - I know it's hardly the source of all that's true in the world, but I don't have a lot of time right now. Suffice it to say that the Wikipedia article states she was actually the eldest and appointed joint ruler by her father's will with her 10 year old brother (she was 18). After that, she used her position to claim sole power which all went wrong and forces her to side with the Romans to get it back. It's a pretty interesting story, but I don't think it's sexist against her brother unless you start from the point of view that a male line of inheritance is more correct than any other system.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:31 am

How about putting it here instead of right here?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:43 am

Yeah sorry - Nerre's totally right! I also want to say that I'm in no way offended or upset - the info I posted above was just for info because I thought it was interesting, not to pick a fight though I appreciate it comes across pretty grumpy. So sorry!

To apologise, here's an underwater diver in chainmail juggling a shark:

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:55 am

askstoomuch wrote:building trash armour is quite hard, esspecially if your crush failed her exam again is is pretty depressed
I'm kind of afraid to ask, but why are you building a trash armor?

@thinks The internet never ceases to amaze me :lol:

Also in other news: Tomorrow my holidays begin :woot

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:57 am

Don't sharks have to swim all the time so they don't drown, since without movement not enough oxygen rich water gets in their...whats the word?...gils?

Cool picture. I dive too but never met a shark, only a not-deadly-ray in some distance. Does he has some protection for his head or the air tubes as well?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:09 am

I think he's in a full-on chainmail suit, and it looks like the hoses are covered in some heavy-duty stuff too (though there's also a buddy there if he needs him). Touching their snouts excites the sharks' 'electricity' receptors in its nose and they go into a weird kind of trance which is how they're doing the 'juggling' :)

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:00 pm

Wish *I* had a chain mail suit... heh. But those things are -expensive-.

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:23 pm

Aegis J Hyena wrote:Damn. I traded away a copy of Starbound for the promise of an artwork commission, and I awoke to find the guy off my friends list and I can't for the life of me remember their username. I think they took it and ran.
Wow, you got some charity going there. If you decided to give the game to a stranger, might have given it to me as well. I have the best quality empty promises too, if you were looking for some.
Nerre wrote:Don't sharks have to swim all the time so they don't drown, since without movement not enough oxygen rich water gets in their...whats the word?...gils?
I don't think they drown in that sense, more like sink to the bottom.
Edit: checked wikipedia and yeah, you are right (they sink too though).

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:30 pm

i think its not true for all sharks, because some can pump water over theor gills when theyre stopped, but the ones that cant do that need to force the water in by swimming. I dont know much more than that though, my shark knowledhe isnt great!