DND Ashren OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
SGTdude
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: SGTdude

Re: DND Ashren OOC

Post by SGTdude » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:33 am

This is why we need to not be hasty in looting and get official responses to actions in my opinion.
This user has been Banned. (link to the joke)

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:25 pm

A few questions:

- Can I use mending to remove rust or parts of the rust on the rusty sword to improve them with enough of those spells?
- Are there any protective spells you know with which Kaliss could make the camp safer?
:zzz:

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:27 pm

No and no.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:29 pm

Are they in a good enough shape that we could grind the rust off and put oil them to gain normal swords? Are they as sharp as normal ones, or do they less than 1d8 damage?

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:42 pm

No, these swords are in terrible condition. their almost like rusted through blunt clubs than swords.

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:08 pm

Is the mace I am carrying likewise in crappy condition? (just curious)

[looks at IC] Whelp...im pretty much [censored]'ed
Last edited by SGTdude on Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:09 pm

No your mace is in normal condition.

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:47 pm

At least I got that.

Also: keeping a sheet on Mythweavers is only good when their server's are not super busy. As soon as I can get on the site, I will keep a running list of everyone's health and relative status for the fight.

In other news: If we kill this witch...Im totally going back and looting the crap out of her shrine...and pissing on it (maybe).
Last edited by SGTdude on Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:26 pm

Kaliss would join you. Killing her means claiming her posessions for us.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:14 pm

Adrena has a plan in her head, but it means retreating from the fire so she can use her spells on the spiders that chase them...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:47 am

Are we dealing with this: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/monstrousSpider.htm ?

The one on Cale is said to be medium, but has only 4 hp, which is a small one according to the list. Did you take the values of the tiny ones for the small ones and the values of the small ones for the medium ones? Or is it another monster?

Do I have to roll an attack for rolling to squish those on Kaliss or get rid of them?

I was thinking about casting enlarge on Cale so he can get rid of the medium spider. Would you like that? As it would give you -2 on your dex and a -1 to AC and attack roll, I did not want to cast it without asking. You would in return get a +2 to str and deal damage of one size category larger if I understood it correctly. I think it lasts 10 rounds while I am still level 1.

So it would be:
-1 AC
-1 attack roll
-1 dex modifier
+1 str modifier
+1 size category = more damage, as your equipment scales with you, and a higher weight lifting ability = easier to throw spider off.

But as Tokryn decided to just hit it with a mace (while on you) like I only now noticed, it might already be dead this turn.

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:08 am

Well my thought was that he wouldn't really take any damage from the blow (hoping) and it would kill the big spider (or get him aggro'd on me) leaving Cade unharmed and free to get out of the cage)

Aslo, that link may be accurate. Medium spiders there have up to as many as 11hp and the medium one only LOST 4hp from the fall, that is not its total hp. Even if its wrong, we at least have an idea what we are dealing with.

Here is another link to help us get an idea of how big these things might be as well. I have edited my post accordingly.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/moveme ... esInCombat

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:55 am

Oh, so it has 7 hp left and we can the small ones expect to have 4. Okay.

If you are not sure about the blow hurting him or not, we can switch the persons we are helping. Kaliss can do 7 damage with a good strike (1d8+3) which is 4-11 damage, not sure if your mace can do that, as you are one size category smaller as him. Also, the slashing would not hurt Cale, as long as Kaliss does not try to stab it from above, only from the side. :)

I could enlarge myself. Would make my 1d8 sword a 2d6 sword. (2d6+3 = 5-15 damage)
Jacon: The spells says -1 AC and -1 to hit, and -2 Dex and +2 STR.
Does the -1 AC come from the -2DEX, or does this stack on each other, making it a -2 in my case?
Same for the to hit. +2 STR increase my modifier by 1, so does it balance out the -1 to hit from the growth?

If you would hit it from the side, you could lower the risk of hurting him a bit. It read like you want to smash it from above. But it is medium sized, so it is larger than you, and you are not likely to just knock it off from him by hitting it, even with a blunt force weapon (not sure how to describe that. A weapon with a lot of weight).

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:26 am

Oh, then my idea would be a fail...also we could have anywhere from 8 to 16 of the small buggers around...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:53 am

I rather i remained small and totally you will get -2 ac.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:59 am

Well, again, my idea is to either kill it or hut it enough that it will consixer me the prime threat. I feel like fire is the best defense since spiders naturally fear fire but then we don't know how the witch has staccked the deck.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:11 am

I would suggest letting me handle the medium spider, as it is larger than you, and instead taking care of the small ones. Maybe you can free another occupied players so he can fully join the battle next turn. You might be able to destroy them much faster, and we have to decimate them before the totally outnumber us. Jacon wrote "more in the trees above", so I expect more to drop down. You could also try to set fire to the forest undergrowth before the storm starts. If the forest is burning rain cannot extinguish it as easily as our little camp fire. There was already lightning, there might be rain soon.

If you agree I can change my post a bit, making the medium one my target instead of the next person in trouble.

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:36 am

I am effectively the tank of the group. Please let me do my job. I will get aggro on the biggest spider and then try to get as many more on me as possible so you gus can survive the fight. If there is any doubt to this, consider: my daily lets me get 8.5hp back as a free action effectively raising my max hp to 21.5. You guys please focus on getting the little ones for now.

(In hindsight, it would have helped to give the tank some armor)
Last edited by SGTdude on Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:44 am

Come on, really? Doing the job cause it is your intended role in the group, although it makes sense for somebody else to do it right now? That is no smart team-play move.

I know you will be the tank later with better equipment as a paladin, but currently Kaliss got more armor, does more damage, is as large as the spider and only got one hp less. On level 1 the roles are not as defined as they will be later. The armor so far did not fit you cause it was human/hobgoblin sized, which we could not change without a blacksmith. I even offered the chain mail to you back then when I got the breastplate, but it was too long. And in a human breastplate you would look like a turtle. ;)
And one does not aggro automatically better cause he is a tank in d & d like in world of warcraft, so basically everybody can do it.

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:47 am

you took the plate before I had a chance to get it. And it should have gone to the tank instead of the healer. Because that makes the most sense. I would have liked a chance to at least try to make it fit somehow. I am an armorsmith. Crap, even to just get a chance at the armor that doesn't fit and being able to go "No, you take it" would have been nice. But I digress because I cant stand ninja looting.

You do whatever you want nerre. I am fulfilling my group role which makes sense both OOC and IC. I will attack the largest spider and then as many other spiders as I can to remove as much threat from the group as a whole as I can.

If I die, then I will reroll something else if allowed.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:16 am

You are being very stubborn and this not only makes not much sense, it ignores most of what I wrote and what good reasons I gave. You also are a healer, like I am also able to fight. So what? A role is not all, especially as some classes are more than just one role. Just look at the definition of Duskblade. You could play your role in both ways that are currently discussed without not acting as a tank. Maybe tanking would be more valuable right now if you used it to help freeing the casters from multiple small spiders than just focusing on one medium spider, so they could cast instead of being forced to fight in melee. This removes more threat than one single spider.

Like I wrote the plate was not your size category, don't ignore that. There was no armor except the shield so far which would have fit you. And you wrote Tokryn did not even look at the chain mail, there was a lot of time before Adrena finally took it.

I am not doing whatever I want. I defined my char in a special way and try to stick to that, but not on all costs. Yes, he might grab things cause he feels strong after ripping of a hobgoblin head and might seem egoistic, but so far nobody did anything about it ingame. You only tried to solve things in OOC mostly, but that is not how a roleplay game works. Most things happen ingame. Your char could have challenged Kaliss over the plate for a brawl, or just have tried it on and come to the conclusion that it just does not fit, or at least complained (IC). If he would find out he is only second strongest, Kaliss would stick to his new rank. I made Kaliss even offer the chain mail to you first cause you are the tank, and I even invented a tradition of his tribe, which helps me play him so he actually will share stuff with persons he sees as weeker. Don't be unfair now and tell me you got no armor cause of me.

I cannot sort out all on myself, you did not much IC and OOC except saying what won't work.
I try to discuss with all and advice and ask for advice where I don't know the rules, but you basically make a suggestion and then not move away much from it no matter what. It seems you are much more doing whatever you want than me. I only do it IC, but you do it OOC, which is worse in my eyes. You took command but did not even ask everybody or roleplay it properly, which made some chars not accept your char as a leader, but you did not react to that and just kept playing him like everybody did. You have to make compromises like everybody else. It won't work if you only expect others to do it. Show a bit more respect to other players please and don't come up with such accusations. I already was irritated by your threat that you are having problems seeing a reason why your char should stick with the group after the game was not even one day old.
In my pen&paper d&d game we got 3 warriors (only one of those is multiclass) and it still works out.

So please cool down and think about this: We are teammates, no competitors. I know the equipment competition sucks sometimes, but that is no reason for such an argument.

Actually I don't like putting so much more time and effort into OOC post discussions, than into the IC game itself, if the discussion is so harsh.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:32 am

You just keep ignoring what I say and instead further blaming me and threatening to leave. Come on!
Please lets [censored] work together because this crap is getting old. Its a game, and this kind of crap is not fun.
What did I just write? Did you even read it? I keep offering solutions, but you keep not liking any of them them. :(

Edit: Where is your last post now?

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:45 am

AOO stands for Attack of opportunity. Usually everyone got one of those unless they have the feat combat reflexes or another similar ability. It allows one attack/attack equivalent action against the one who provoked it.

Nerre you have a standard and a move action. You should be able to see more about what you can do with them on the srd, but basically the standard action covers 1 attack and the move action lets you move your speed. Most spells are also a standard action.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:03 am

So with rolling over the 2 spiders on himself, Kaliss cannot do much more, except somebody is close enough so he can help him, right? Given he squished both spiders, else he will still be busy with them.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:06 am

Well, we'll see if that as a natural attack works on these spiders or not...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr