MLP for dummies, yea, I'm a dummy

Home to all current Forum Games.
BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Re: MLP for dummies, yea, I'm a dummy

Post by BeanDip » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:47 am

Mereneth wrote: Fallout: Equestria, for example. The writer, Kkat, spun a unique story based around the fallout 3 and new vegas games and combined them with MLP to create a unique and interesting story without losing much in the way of elements from either ideal.
Actually, finding the Fallout: Equestria page on TVTropes is what made me try getting into MLP the first time. I thought it could be interesting but realized I'd need to understand the series to really enjoy it.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:26 am

So what did ya think looks?

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:09 am

Well, to be honest... Its not really me :S

Not that its bad, just not me.
The animation is really good! (even better if you compare it to many of the things out there now a-day)
The lip sync is better than many, but I find the voices acting to be on the annoying side (to many high pitched notices and repetitive sentences)
The "Story" of each (only saw Return to Harmony 1 and 2 and Hurricane flutter-shy) is fine, sweet and creative, but also relay predictable after a few minutes in (I like surprises)
The overall ideas for each episode (Read more of them on Wiki) seem to be done over and over by other movies and series, with exception of the setting. but then again, it can be hard to make anything new now a-day..

In short(okay, I failed there), fine and good, but a bit overrated if you ask me... and that probably is exactly why its not in my taste, I tend to like things better if they are not "pepped up" to be much more than they are. that, and the fact that the theme and style does not speak to me, don't get me wrong, I like "sweet" and I also like the "soft drawing style" (I have no idea what it's called) but if you combine it like they do in MLP, it just gets a little bit to much for me.
I can see what appeals to so many, and have no idea why it also get's so much hate some places, (but I guess a combination of hardcore haters, trolls and people who don't even want to see it before judging it)

So.. did I learn new things about MLP.. Yes, a lot... was I converted into the Bronies fold and stable? not so much.

Thanks for the effort of finding them and answering all the questions Burns, it is fascinating, but for me more as a "know about that culture" than "join that culture" :)
-Best regards LAYF

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:20 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote:So what did ya think looks?
I was just so confused. I read the above post and thought: "LooksandSmiles wasn't involved in this thread so who's Burns talking to? Maybe he sent him like a PM or something? Wait, why did LAYF respond to him? LAYF that question was for Looks, you silly Dane. :P "

Then I remembered LAYF'S full username and felt like a dunce. I'mma blame the chemobrain.

Also, I felt much like LAYF did. I enjoyed it and I really enjoyed the characters but I don't think I like it enough to just watch it on my own. Like if it was on the TV, I wouldn't change the channel but I wouldn't purposely turn it on myself. The characters were pretty awesome though.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:36 pm

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:but a bit overrated if you ask me... and that probably is exactly why its not in my taste, I tend to like things better if they are not "pepped up" to be much more than they are
I can see what appeals to so many, and have no idea why it also get's so much hate some places, (but I guess a combination of hardcore haters, trolls and people who don't even want to see it before judging it)
I think those two tidbits are related. I agree from the tiny bit I've seen here and there, I can see the appeal to its target audience (the little ankle-biters). I think the point where I take issue, is why would it appeal to full-grown adults. While I don't go so far as to hate the show for that, I think that is what inspires so much hate in others. When you put it in the adult category it just doesn't compete with other shows. I understand not wanting to watch anything too involved and instead watching something simple and relatively mindless, but even then, its below the bar for me. So I think its the overrated status, that causes the absolute hate.

*avoids going into a rant about all that's wrong with tv today*

If I truly did have to take issue with anything about the show it would be that male fans actually call themselves "bronies." Seriously, that's one step to far for me.

*welcomes all the hate from the mlp fans*
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10