Cavemen: Survival of the Fittest

Home to all current Forum Games.
Nerre
Game Master

Re: Cavemen: Survival of the Fittest

Post by Nerre » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:01 am

OOC: Adding this since what I wrote before did not include Yarls reaction, I will add this.

When he mentioned Yarl's name, Hitto thought about telling Yala what happened. He only feared it would make him seem guilty of Yarl running off. But it would be worse if he said nothing and something bad happened to Yarl, so he decided to explain it:
"Yala, when we walked back from the burial cave, your brother seemed sad about something. When I caught up with him, he had tears on his face, told me to leave him alone and ran off. I shouted warnings about the cats after him, trying to make him stop, but he did not. I ran after him a bit, but I had a too heavy load with me, so I lost him. Maybe...maybe he would listen to you. I don't want him to get hurt like Boe..or worse, like Ril. I would accompany you, staying in the background, so you two can talk. If you want that."
:zzz:

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:53 am

[Vera]

Vera watches Min throw, and then watches the Tribeswoman when she takes her turn thereafter. She beckons the girls over to her to give them her critique. "You both did well for a first attempt - I can see that you listened to what I said and tried to copy me. Min, you might actually have tried too hard that time. Take it a bit slower, don't worry about failing at first. Get used to making the movements. If you want to, you could try it without the stick at first - throwing rocks, even, will help you get the movement in your body. [Tribe member], you put the wrong foot forward when you threw, so that's why the spear went off to the side like that. It will go further and fly straighter if you keep your body in line. Try again, both of you."

--

[Yala]

As Hitto approaches, Yala looks up from her work. "Yep, these are the waterskins - they are ready to use now, if you want to take one. I think you should take the bigger one, and the smaller can be a spare." She holds out her hand to take the berry that he offers her, and rubs it between her fingers. "These are very useful in preserving the hide! Not for the inside of a waterskin, because they make the water taste funny, but for shoes and cloaks and bedding, they are great. Are there more of them? Where is the tree? We should collect some. I saw Irma squish them with stones, you get lots of oil out of them that way. The leftover mush is okay as food too, it's nice with meat. Boro is making some bowls, we can squeeze the oilberry oil into one of those, and put the mush in another one with water and salt until it's tasty." Yala talks too much and too fast as usual, carrying on with her work while she chatters to Hitto.

"I can do a painting for Ril if everyone wants me to, but I'm not very good at it yet. We'd better ask Elto before we plan to do anything. I think I heard the children running around trying to find bright things for Boe, and someone brought him some clay just now. Maybe he is making colours."She shrugs and goes back to her work, still listening to Hitto but carrying on with what she was doing at the same time. She stops when he hands her the snakeskin, though, and grabs it from him gleefully. "Oh, it's pretty! But I don't know how to make a sling... I only know how to make clothes, mostly. Chief Diran had a shield covered in snake skin, a very big and old one, but it wasn't blue like this. It was brown." She turns the skin over in her hands and looks all the way along its length, then rolls it up onto itself to keep it from getting dirty on the inside or torn by accident. "It needs salting and drying before it rots, then it can be treated with oilberry and smoke to make it soft and pliable. Or at least, that's what I would do with it if I was making something out of it. I don't know if it's different for slings." She puts the rolled-up skin next to her, intending to treat it once she has finished what she is doing, but if Hitto wants to take it back and give it to one of the weaponmakers she will hand it to him instead.

"You shouldn't go to Yarl if he is crying. He'll be angry at you. Same as me, if I went after him. I don't want him to be angry at me. He wouldn't talk to me anyway, even if we did go. If he doesn't come back soon I'll send one of the others to him, he can be mad at them instead of me then." Yala shrugs again and pokes grumpily at the bear-skin on the frame beside her. "He's always mad lately."

(Yala +1, total 12)

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:11 pm

Starting points: 67
Spending: 0 (continuously failing to throw even somewhat decent)
Earning: 1 (full paragraph)
Final points: 68

Min listens to Vera's corrections and nods. "Actually, I'm somewhat used to throwing rocks, but I always flick them out spinning, moving my arm sideways for the throw and do it more out of the cuff. I used to make flat rocks skip over the water all the time when I was younger. Heh, I even tried with not very flat rocks, too." Min chuckles at the memories and concludes: "Alas, for this very reason, I doubt my experience there would be much use with the spear."

But, heeding the Chieftess' advice to some extend, in order to as a first step get used to the motion of throwing a long thin object straight, Min picks one of the smaller branches she has brought here as a mock sword, instead of the long one, and throws a couple of times with that. Since Min has three of them, she doesn't have to run after it every time she throws.
Min does fare slightly better, but it would have been a real challenge for her to fare worse than her first attempt. It's evident that Min will need a lot of practice to become any good at this, and that she is still over-thinking what she wants her body to do, hampering herself. She seems pretty pleased about being able to exercise, though, and, of course, about learning something new; smiling happily at Vera and [tribe member] as the training continues.

reposting point system for own convenience
► Show Spoiler
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:28 pm

Starting points: 68
Spending: 2 (making a tiny little progress with throwing sticks, attempting to sneak)
Final points: 67
► Show Spoiler
After practicing throwing like this for quite a while, working up a lot of sweat on this warm day, Min asks to have a breather, offering to go over to the river to cool down a little and refill their water skins for the other girls. When she reaches the bank, Min takes the opportunity to wash up a bit, finally getting rid of the blood and cure culm mush on her cheek, as well as trying to get some of Boe's blood out of her clothes. Since she still feels rather hot after finishing to wash her face, Min dunks her head into the water, relishing in its coolness for a few moments and when she pulls it out again, stroking what little of her short hair is sticking to her forehead and cheeks out of the way, she notices a strange flicker of light coming from the edge of the forest. At first Min isn't even sure she actually has seen something, so she squints her eyes and tries to make out what might be going on there.
While Min quickly refills her own water skin (and the ones of Vera and [tribe member], too, if she was given them), she remains watchful and during this time the light flashes over time and again. Excited by her discovery Min rushes back to Vera and [tribe member] at high speed.

"Girls!" Min exclaims while she is still running towards them, as soon as she is in hearing range, "Look over there!" Min wildly points to where she has seen the light occurrence, eager for them to see it, too, before the phenomenon vanishes "See the light? Something strange is going on there. We should go and check it out. We could make a race to almost there, and then practice being stealthy over the last distance while we're at it, too. Grab your stuff and let's go!"
Min
hands back the water skins and quickly picks up her back pack and her pointy stick she had left behind for her little trip to the river. "Hurry up, who knows how long this is going to be there, whatever it is!"

With that, Min makes haste towards where she is still occasionally seeing the light flare up, mindful not to rush there all the way, making a lot of ruckus and drawing attention to herself. Instead, when she gets close, she slows down to a halt, waiting for - or catching up with - [tribe member] (and Vera, if she tagged along, too).*

Taking in the immediate surroundings while she catches her breath, Min frowns a little. Could some scouts of Rongarr have found us already? she muses.
"Someone has been busy." she whispers. "It looks a bit as if someone was mobilizing for war." Min comments on the countless saplings, piled up, prepared to be processed into weapons, as far as Min - without any weapon making expertise - can tell, or standing side by side, rammed into the earth as some sort of fence? And then there's the 'traps' in the forest, the tied branches. Min scratches her head, wondering what would happen if she triggered one and where the strange light, which she hasn't seen for a while now, might have come from. "I'm going a bit closer, I need to check this out. Wait here. If I get into trouble, run back to camp and warn the others." Min says in a hushed voice.

Leaving her back pack behind with [tribe member], but taking her pointed stick along for safety, Min creeps ever closer to the area, trying very hard not to make any noise, moving ever so slowly and mindfully of her surroundings. Having some experience when it comes to moving about quietly, if only as not to wake resting tribe members, Min is making decent progress and manages to remain unnoticed as she approaches, even beyond the underbrush of the wood. She almost has reached what seems like the center of this area, not offering a lot of hiding places, when suddenly, out of the corner of her eye, she notices some movement. Turning her head to see what's going on, her gaze is met by the flash of light which coincidentally appeared in that very instant once more, blinding Min momentarily, confusing her in mid-motion and causing her to step onto a twig that snaps audibly.
Instinctively, Min ducks into a more defendable bodily position and points her stick into the general direction the source of the light was coming from as precise as she can without being able to see clearly.

*: I didn't want to 'command' that Vera comes along. Maybe she would prefer to go warn the rest of the tribe, or maybe she would like to assess the threat (if any) first. I dunno. But I did assume that [tribe member] would go along with Min, at least. Also, I have no idea who in the three of them may be the fastest runner, hence I dunno who would reach the perimeters of the area, in which it might be wise to sneak, first.

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:12 am

[Vera]

While Min goes to the river, Vera and the other tribemember take the opportunity to sit and rest. They both get up when she comes running back, startled by her shouting. Vera looks towards where she's pointing, holding her spear up and squinting into the distance. "Yes, I see it. We can go and investigate, but we should be very careful. The wounded cat that Boe struck is still out here somewhere. Keep your weapon close, and if anything comes at you, attack it before it can attack you." Vera and the tribe member both run after Min - the tribeswoman is quick and keeps up with Min reasonably well, but Vera gets tired quite quickly and lags behind. She still runs even though she is tired, but she is slower and reaches the treeline after Min has left the other tribe member behind. She crouches down next to the tribeswoman and asks what has happened, then squints through the treeline to try and see where Min has gone while she catches her breath. "Let's get a little bit closer, in case she needs our help in a hurry. Can't hear or see anything from out here. Keep your eyes open." she whispers, and the two of them shuffle cautiously forward, moving where Min previously stepped and clutching their belongings closely to avoid catching on branches or bashing into trees and making the leaves rustle. They are not quite as quiet as Min was, but they are much further back.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:04 am

► Show Spoiler
OOC: I will try to squeeze the answers in, hope that is okay. :)

As Hitto approaches, Yala looks up from her work. "Yep, these are the waterskins - they are ready to use now, if you want to take one. I think you should take the bigger one, and the smaller can be a spare." "Thanks a lot, it looks great. Can't wait to fill and test it. My first, own waterskins!" he responds and holds it home with some pride, grinning from one ear to the other.
She holds out her hand to take the berry that he offers her, and rubs it between her fingers. "These are very useful in preserving the hide! Not for the inside of a waterskin, because they make the water taste funny, but for shoes and cloaks and bedding, they are great. Are there more of them? Where is the tree? We should collect some. I saw Irma squish them with stones, you get lots of oil out of them that way. The leftover mush is okay as food too, it's nice with meat. Boro is making some bowls, we can squeeze the oilberry oil into one of those, and put the mush in another one with water and salt until it's tasty." Yala talks too much and too fast as usual, carrying on with her work while she chatters to Hitto.
"There is a whole tree at the grace...erm...cave I found. The one we will use as a burial place. I think somebody said there is usually more than one tree around, so there might be others, even if the one at the cave stands alone. There were a lot of those berries, some on the ground, some still in the tree."
Hitto just smiles, enjoying her company and hearing her voice, giving answers where she asks him something.

"I can do a painting for Ril if everyone wants me to, but I'm not very good at it yet. We'd better ask Elto before we plan to do anything. I think I heard the children running around trying to find bright things for Boe, and someone brought him some clay just now. Maybe he is making colours."She shrugs and goes back to her work, still listening to Hitto but carrying on with what she was doing at the same time. "It was just an idea. Maybe we could just put color on Ril's hand and push it against the wall, so there will be something left, reminding us of her. What you think about that idea?"

She stops when he hands her the snakeskin, though, and grabs it from him gleefully. "Oh, it's pretty! But I don't know how to make a sling... I only know how to make clothes, mostly. Chief Diran had a shield covered in snake skin, a very big and old one, but it wasn't blue like this. It was brown."
"There is also a brown one if you prefer that color, I wanted to bring it to Fengo. I thought you might like the blue one more."
She turns the skin over in her hands and looks all the way along its length, then rolls it up onto itself to keep it from getting dirty on the inside or torn by accident. "It needs salting and drying before it rots, then it can be treated with oilberry and smoke to make it soft and pliable. Or at least, that's what I would do with it if I was making something out of it. I don't know if it's different for slings." She puts the rolled-up skin next to her, intending to treat it once she has finished what she is doing, but if Hitto wants to take it back and give it to one of the weapon makers she will hand it to him instead.
"I can bring it to one of the weapon makers for you, they will know." Hitto offers, hopefully understanding what she wants. He has to go to the chief anyway, and he might be where most of the clan and the fire are.

"You shouldn't go to Yarl if he is crying. He'll be angry at you. Same as me, if I went after him. I don't want him to be angry at me. He wouldn't talk to me anyway, even if we did go. If he doesn't come back soon I'll send one of the others to him, he can be mad at them instead of me then." Yala shrugs again and pokes grumpily at the bear-skin on the frame beside her. "He's always mad lately."
"Do you have an idea why?" Hitto asks, regreting the question right away, and trying to make Yala ignore it by immediately changing the next topic "I will inform the chief, so he can send somebody. Just like yesterday, with Min. But not me this time, he is already mad enough at me and might just run away again."

OOC: Some parallel writing, so Yala can still respond. This happens later:

Hitto informs the chief about Yarl running of and what mood he was in, to get this burden of his head. He does not want him to get hurt, and it felt like he was the one driving Yarl off, even if it was unintentionally. He also reported about the ressources they found at the cave.
After that, he says "Chief, we cleaned the cave and filled the gaps, then build a little wall and left a hole in it, so the entrance can be sealed with one large rock. I also had an idea about some...paintings for the dead. And for us. How about we color their hands and push it against the smooth and plane walls, so there would be a mark of them left in the world, reminding us and future clan members that they existed? At least I would like that idea, if I were to die some day. I saw some using colors and this idea came up."

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:17 pm

At the sound of a branch snapping, Muck dropped the remaining sapling cuts he had on hand and spun in place, drawing both daggers and flashing sunlight with the metal blade as he spun in place and immediately advanced on the other foot, bringing him face to face with Min. He could hardly believe what he saw, freezing him in place with one blade at her throat and the other held aloft. He blinked, jaw agape and quickly realized his posturing as he pulled away, shaken but doing his best not to show it. He'd nearly killed her, and that alone scared him. Was he really that wound up, still, over the persecution and butchery they had fled?

As he tried to find the words to talk, his mouth would close, only to fall open again until he managed to sheath his weapons and let himself fall on his ass to stare at her. Had it been so long that she had sought him out? He cast a quick glance into the sky and blanched at how much time he had lost by forgetting himself while setting things up.

"I, uh, Min. I am so... Dear spirits, there is no way to apologize to-"

He couldn't manage much more as his heart throbbed at the mock pain of nearly being responsible for slaying a fellow tribe member on reflex alone.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:50 pm

Starting points: 67
Spending:0
Final points: 68

Min remains immobile for a few more moments.
At first she had felt as if she was about to faint, at the life threatening pose the previously unperceived aggressor had assumed. Then the adrenaline had kicked in, lending her the strength to keep standing straight up, even though her knees were weak and felt dangerously close to giving way, when this could have meant serious injury or even death to her. Finally, the red remainder on her retina from the blinding flash of light before faded away, and she was able to recognize Muck, who then retreated to sit on the bare ground and mumbled something that strangely enough sounded like an apology to her.

Heart still racing, Min blinks a few times trying to calm her breath, her pulse and and her thoughts. Swallowing a lump in her throat - freely now, that no longer a blade was pressed against it - Min takes a step forward and squats down next to him, placing a hand gently onto Muck's shoulder. Sensing that he seems rather unsettled about what happened, Min attempts to allay his worries, by saying in a calm, collected voice - the stars only know where she takes it from in a situation like this: "To be honest, that wasn't quite what I expected, when you told me to find you after seeing to my daily duties. But admittedly, that put things into perspective rather impressively, showing me what it means to be a warrior." Min looks at Muck, trying to meet his eyes and smiles a bright, dashing and warm smile at him, full of admiration for his skill, even a hint of enthusiasm already sneaking back into her voice. "Can you try and teach me become that fast, please?"

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:15 pm

Speed. He almost bled her like a plains goat and she was more interested in the speed he had done it?

Muck's mouth slid open as he gave up trying to hide his puzzled response and simply tried to wrap his head around her. If she wasn't scared away by the kiss of death he had unthinkingly and unintentionally pressed to her spirit's lips, she would be a fine warrior yet.

"Speed is..."

He tried not to laugh at himself as the advice refused to pass his lips. He heaved a deep breath, stared into the sky for a moment, then returned his gaze to his over eager student.

"Speed comes last. Speed before control only leads to catastrophe. If I did not have control, but had the speed, I would be mourning you as your life covered my chest in a crimson fountain of sorrow."

He slid his feet underneath him, planting his knees and toes in the loamy soil, ignoring the small bones that pressed against his skin.

"Did no others come with you?

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:24 am

(Sorry for the delay guys, I've had a headache for three days and I'm not feeling it. Nerre, I'll reply with Yala and Elto once I've got a little more time.)

Vera and the tribeswoman edge closer, and as they move through the undergrowth, they get near enough to hear voices and movements, then the thump of something heavy hitting the ground, and further talking. Vera's eyes narrow and she turns to her companion, pointing towards the clearing and mouthing "Scouts?" - despite all her teachings telling her to run back and warn the tribe, her body was tired from the running earlier and she knew she would not get far. She pushes the sharpened stick into the other woman's hands and points again towards the clearing, then takes a deep breath and lunges out of the undergrowth, spear poised to launch. She is sure that she will find at least one scout, and see Min slumped on the floor. The tribeswoman is only a second behind her, having taken slightly longer to fight her urge to run, but she too bursts from the bushes, holds her stick aloft and seeks something to hit with it, ready to fight though she does not know how.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:54 am

[Yala +1]

"I'll get some oilberries when we go there to have Ril's burial, then. We should get all the ones that are on the floor, so that they don't get wasted. They don't rot while they're on the tree, but they rot on the floor eventually. I think making a hand-print on the wall is a very nice idea. See what Elto says." Yala pulls the bear-skin tighter on the frame again, and rubs the tanning mixture further into it to ensure it coats the skin fully. "I don't know why he is angry. Probably everything all together has upset him. Everyone is on edge still because of us having to run away, and lots of people already got hurt here, including him..." She shrugs.

[Elto]

When Hitto comes to report back about the cave-cleaning and tell him about Yarl, Elto nods. "Other people are outside and moving around today. They will be able to see him and check on him. If he is not back in time for the funeral, we will send a runner to the forest to fetch him. Everyone has been warned several times about going off alone, and I cannot keep endangering good bodies on chasing people who won't see to their own safety."

Elto thinks for a while about Hitto's painting idea, then shows him the shell full of dark purple grease that he produced during the ceremony honouring Ril's memory. "I had intended that we would mark the walls, either here or at the burial site, to remember Ril. This paint is made from things that Ril knew in life; fish and water, urchin and shell. The hand print is a good idea. Take this paint to whoever else is making more paints, and liaise with them in planning how to mark the walls."

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:20 am

► Show Spoiler
I think making a hand-print on the wall is a very nice idea. See what Elto says."
"Thanks you."
"I don't know why he is angry. Probably everything all together has upset him. Everyone is on edge still because of us having to run away, and lots of people already got hurt here, including him..." She shrugs.
"Maybe I am a bit less on the edge, cause my parents died early, and I learned that things go an and people come and go, when I was still very young. Don't get me wrong, I still mourn the dead and I am caring, I get emotional about it, but I know that sometimes it just happens. Old die, young are born. Maybe what made it so hard during the exodus was that it was other people doing us to us. Not nature, age, accidents like normally. People longed more than normally for safety, and thought they had finally found it here, then the bad things started to happen. A bit nightmarish."
He sighs and is quiet for a moment. Later he left, only to return after his talk with the chief.
Carefully balancing the shell with the purple grease, Hitto returns after a while.
"Hey Yala! Etto really liked the idea and gave me this!" Hitto said excitedly and shows her the shell.
"Purple grease paint, made from things that Ril knew in her life. He made it himself during her memory honoring ceremony."
He kept explaining what the chief said and that she was the first one he thought of, when the chief said to bring it to somebody who can make more paint. He asked if she would like to do it, if she was finished with the hide she was working on. He would help her gather whatever she needed to create the paint.
He let out that she also was the first he thought of if it wasn't about paint. He was not only glad that the chief liked his idea, but especially as it maybe would allow him some more time with Yala. Except Yarl running away, it was actually a very good day so far. The cave he found was picked worthy for the dead, he was send on a mission and they managed to kill the snakes without getting injured. And now he was sitting next to Yala again, not for the first time today.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:16 am

Starting points: 68
Spending:0
Final points: 69

The puzzled expression on Muck's face at her unusual reaction makes Min's heart smile a little, her taking comfort in the fact that she seemed to manage distracting him from his more somber thoughts at least a little.

Of course she had been scared. Afraid for her life, to be precise. She didnÔÇÖt want to die, or even think about that; it was only natural. After all, a very essential part of every single living being was its survival instinct. But nothing had happened to her, not a nick in her skin, and therefore, knowing that she would be alright, Min found herself more concerned with Muck and his agitation.

Besides, when she had recognized Muck all of her fears had been dispelled, as if they were clouds and a fierce wind had blown them away, clearing the skies. Min trusts Muck with her life ÔÇô like all of the remaining tribe members had to do at some point ÔÇô and frankly, she sees no reason to change that now.
She smiles to herself as she remembers one incident at the very beginning of their flight. She, among a bigger crowd, had been in mortal peril by some of RongarrÔÇÖs thugs who somehow had managed to find and reach the small group of women and children, circumventing the men that were trying to protect them, shield them, lure the attackers away from them. Just like now, she had been just a heartbeat away from the great beyond, one tiny little motion of the hand wielding that weapon separated her from death.
Thankfully, out of nowhere a couple of friendly fighters had intervened. Not only had it been Muck, who struck down the very foe that had threatened Min, but as she later found out, it had been thanks to MuckÔÇÖs initiative that the group went to check on their tribe members they deemed securely tucked away in some remote glen. The glen that had been appointed as an emergency 'go to' point, where the group, panicked and defenseless had stopped for a short break, doing a head count and considering their next steps, like how to reunite with other fractions of the tribe.
Min shook her head, with all the fights and incidents that had happened since the peaceful times - those somehow seemed to be a whole lifetime ago by now - he probably didnÔÇÖt even remember that day, that very skirmish nor that she had been there among all the others he and his fellow warriors had saved. But to her that day, that event held some significance, importance. That was the day the young man, that stranger from the other tribe had first truly earned her trust.
And today, by stopping himself from cutting her down, halting his motions in time to not cause her any harm at all, he had proven yet again to Min just how worthy he was of that trust.

"Speed is..."

"Speed comes last. Speed before control only leads to catastrophe. If I did not have control, but had the speed, I would be mourning you as your life covered my chest in a crimson fountain of sorrow."

Stirred from her thoughts by his voice, Min frowns a little, a concerned look creeping onto her face when he pauses. Clearly this bothers him still. She can hardly concentrate on absorbing the wisdom he is sharing with her.
Part of Min wants to just pull him into her arms and hold him, let him feel just how very much alive she still is. Part of her points out that so far he didn't even seem to notice the hand she placed onto his shoulder in an effort to comfort him, and that is still resting there.

So, Min retracts her hand from him, nods at his words and tries to answer, showing that she takes his teaching to the heart. "Then it seems I was three times lucky today, running into you. One, and foremost, that you aren't an enemy nor a stranger, as I considered possible, when I saw the light flickering about in this area. Two, that you have that amount of control as well as speed. And three, that you are willing to teach those skills to me.
I will work hard trying to achieve both. I only asked for swiftness first, because had I possessed similar reflexes as you, I might have been able to dodge or evade, keeping your blade at a safe distance from my body by my own abilities, not needing to rely on your skills and mercy.ÔÇØ
Min
is a little surprised herself by the stilted way she is talking. Maybe itÔÇÖs due to some residue of the initial shock. But, truth to be told, anything that would keep Muck ÔÇô and herself ÔÇô from picturing her, Min, dead, is more than welcome. Yet, she isn't quite sure if she managed to do so, with what she said.

"Did no others come with you?

Having forgotten all about her companions until reminded of them now, just about to answer his question, her mouth already open, Min senses movement behind her, launches herself into upright position, spins around, pointy stick at the ready and sees Vera and [tribe member] break through the underbrushes, both - at least mentally - ready to fight.
Min is quick to lower the point of her stick, take a step towards them, arms raised in an appeasing gesture, both to show them that she is alright, as well as stop them from approaching further and possibly being greeted by Muck very much in the same way she was before.
"It's okay, Vera, [tribe member]. It's Muck. Everything is fine."

When she has halted or at least slowed and calmed down the other women, Min turns back to Muck, smiling wide at the spirit and determination they have demonstrated and says: "Here they are. Yala wanted to come, too, but alas, the hides of bear and cat won't allow much more deferment, they needed treating soon, so Yala does it today. Maybe next time."

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:51 am

[Yala +1]

When Hitto returns with the greasepaint, Yala pokes it experimentally with the tip of her finger, and rubs it between her fingertips. "This will last a long time, I think. The colour is very strong, and the oiliness will stop it washing away or drying and crumbling off. People have been bringing Boe different clays and flowers all morning, let's ask him about painting too. We can all work together. I bet other people will want to help in their own ways as well. The funeral will be grand. Ril's spirit will be well celebrated."

Yala finishes re-tightening the bear hide on the rack for the third or fourth time this morning, and then picks up one of her willow sticks from it's place where it is drying, and snips it into three short pieces. She goes back into the main cave (with Hitto, if he joins her) to look for Boe. When she finds him, she asks him about his clays and dye materials that he has been asking people to gather for him. She also hands him a willow stick, and one to Hitto, and keeps one for herself. She chews on the end of it to spread the fibers out and asks Boe and Hitto to do the same, showing them where the end of her stick has started to become brush-like where she has been chewing it. "We can use these to spread out the paints. The willow is good for pains too, so it should help the both of you with your cat-wounds."

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:28 pm

"I thought you gave it to us to clean our teeth." Hitto laughed, but kept chewing, especially after she said it helped against pain.
"I send some kids to find clay, they found some yesterday. They and the adult that was with them said there is a lot around her. Yala, you mentioned the color being oily might help to make it last longer. Shouldn't we get some of the oil berries to mix their oil in? Or do we have enough from the animals? I wasn't around much since we arrived except the first evening, so I don't know."

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:26 am

Points 38
Paragraph +1
Partially crafting grass mat -1
Making a crude flower -1
Total 37

Boe thanks people as they get him the various things he requested. He felt bad for having to ask for it rather than just collecting it himself, but that wasn't really an option given his current situation. He had been working a bit on the remaining grass mat, but also taken some of the flowers with a stilk and weaved them into a bracelet. It didn't look that pretty but the thought was in there. He quickly hid it under the grassmat as he heard others approaching to avoid the embarrasment. It was more than enough that he was stuck in the cave.

Approached by the question about the paints he looks blankly back at Yala. "I'm not really sure how to do it correctly as I've never been involved in crafting it. I were think of trying get the colour out of the clay and flowers by putting it in water. Then remove clumbs and, or petals from the water Before removing the water itself. I think that might leave some of the colour back. Maybe we can get the clay to stick to the walls so it becomes a part of the wall?"
Boe
takes the willow stick from Yala and starts chewing it, but he considers if it would be easier to just use their hands to paint. It seemed to be uneccessary trouble.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:04 pm

"I never made any either... Elto made this stuff here by burning. I know we can draw with burnt sticks from the fire, the black soot stays behind well. So I guess this paste that Elto made is like wood soot, but made sticky and oily by the fish fat. Maybe you can make the clay more colourful by smashing the water and petals into it, like you said. The water will go away if you put it in the fire. That's how we make glue from bones and teeth and hooves...put the water in with them to draw out the sticky parts, and then heat them to send away the water and leave behind the glue. Boro is outside making bowls, and he has some big shells too...do you want me to bring you some, so you can practice making colours in them?"

If Boe wants some of the smaller bowls to practice with, Yala will fetch him two and a handful of the large mussel shells.

"The clay will stay on the walls if it is wet enough, and then the water will dry it out over time. I don't know what happens if you put oilberries in clay, 'cos clay is already quite sticky. But maybe oilberries will work with the flower petals. If we get some very colourful flowers or fruits, cook them and crush them up into the oil and mix them with soot, we might be able to make a grease-paste like Elto did."

[Yala +1]

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:16 pm

"I will ask Elto for a short version of what to use in which order, I will be right back." Hitto says and runs into the cave.

OOC: Wrote this so you can maybe edit it into your post, as you write for Elto anyway. Just write that Hitto reports it. After all it will be Elto's words, so I don't mind you writing for him in this case. :D

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:11 am

Started: 22
Added: 1
Total: 23

After he is done gardening and gathering some strawberries to eat, Koael decides that he should help out in other areas of the cave. He grabs his basket and puts it on his back and walks to the cave.

"I heard earlier you need help with the cave? I am done spreading the seeds. The barren land with a thorny fence nearby the cave is where it is at. It should be watered every sun and not walked on. So um...what isneeded?

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:26 am

"Hey Koael. If you want us to help make paint for Ril's burial, you could go to the little cave I found close in the northeast. There is an oil berry tree, and a lot of ripe berries are lying on the ground around it. You could collect some, we need oil for the paint. With your basket it should be easy to carry lots of them without squishing them."

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:17 am

Points 37
paragraph +1
Total 38

"That would be nice of you." Boe smiles politely at Yala and glad that she offered to do it so he wouldn't have to ask himself. He politely awaits for her return but realises he should have asked for a rock right away if he was going to grind the materials at some point. Guess that would have to wait then.

"The clay will stay on the walls if it is wet enough, and then the water will dry it out over time. I don't know what happens if you put oilberries in clay, 'cos clay is already quite sticky. But maybe oilberries will work with the flower petals. If we get some very colourful flowers or fruits, cook them and crush them up into the oil and mix them with soot, we might be able to make a grease-paste like Elto did."

"That might work too, but we don't have too much oil so I think it would be best to stick with water for now. You need oil for the hides right?"

Boe
pours his water into a bowl and add some of the red petals to it. He lies down as he realises he have to wait for the results.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:35 am

(Sorry guys...It seems like every weekend I develop a really nasty headache that just ruins my motivation and makes me feel too crappy to post. I'll reply with Yala/Elto as soon as possible.)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:03 am

"I suppose I could do that Hitto, but I have no idea where the oil berries are from here."

....That and I don't want to be shoved to another place where I do nothing.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:06 pm

OOC: You can just pay to successfully find them and return with them, so we could together work on the paint. Hitto told you the direction.
I got other plans for Hitto right now, else I might just walk there with you. But if you really want to, we could go and I would delay it. What you think?
:)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:45 pm

I suppose.....but eh. Wouldn't it take a while to get them?