Cavemen: OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Re: Cavemen: OOC

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:03 am

I'm sorry to hear that Croverus, but no worries, we'll make sure that your death is interesting and mysterious...bwhahaaha

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:42 pm

My condolences as well, have a good Christmas nonetheless. I lost both grandmas last year, so I feel with you.

@Croverus: If you want I can write a heroic death for Duran. Since he is a climber I could combine that well with my char, since he also is a climber.
:zzz:

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:56 am

I'm going to veto a sudden death, Nerre, but thanks for offering - I'm sure it would have been cool to read - but character withdrawals like this (and like Ril's) are useful as GM tools, as we have a named person to advance plots etc with now, just like Ril's disappearance allowed us to introduce the Salt Cave and a couple of mini quests, Durang can now become a plot device.

Up until such time as Plot Happens to him, he's available to direct as an NPC just like the others, however as he is a skilled ex-PC, I'm going to say that you guys can spend his points for him. He won't earn any new ones, but rather than spending 5 of your own to move him like an NPC, you can spend his points to make him do stuff, until they run out. His points are lost when the plot catches up to him, so I recommend you start using them. If for whatever reason Croverus returns or a new player wants to take him over before the plot arrives, he will have a reprieve and be reinstated as a PC, otherwise he'll meet his end somehow and sometime.

(edit: bolded the important bit so it gets noticed)

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:11 pm

then i would like to take him climbing with hitto once the forest is dry enough, better to have somebody skilled along than an npc. except, if some other players want their chars to join me on this. :)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:30 pm

I maybe interested in joining. I have no clue what is going on, but I can adapt after a while. Do I make a new character or just one that exists already?

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:38 am

You can take over Croverus character as he left the game, but all of the villagers not played by anyone have been held blank for just this purpose to allow people to join as a part of the tribe without trouble and still make the character to their own liking. :)
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:47 am

nikohl wrote: Durang is a skilled ex-PC, I'm going to say that you guys can spend his points for him. He won't earn any new ones, but rather than spending 5 of your own to move him like an NPC, you can spend his points to make him do stuff, until they run out. His points are lost when the plot catches up to him, so I recommend you start using them. If for whatever reason Croverus returns or a new player wants to take him over before the plot arrives, he will have a reprieve and be reinstated as a PC, otherwise he'll meet his end somehow and sometime.
Erm, so how many points does Durang currently have? And also, what equipment has he got?

It says he's a builder, too, here.

So maybe we could have let him have found a fallen tree or a big log or something near the river on day 2 (he found the banana trees on day 1) and maybe have him started to work that into a dugout canoe? That could come in mighty handy, I think. But for that idea to work out, he would have to had access to some kind of tool, like an axe or such.

Of course, all of that only, if Burns doesn't want to take Durang over. :)
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:56 am

Alright, so how do I make a character here?

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:13 am

If I remember correctly, you needed a physical description and a hobby as to what your character is good at. Gathers took cooking/tinkering, I took Zooology as a hobby which could put me in the shoes of a hunter. Nerre is a climber. We also started of with 20 points each.

At the moment it is about to become night, so I don't think there is much you can do outside the caves at the moment. But mostly it is your own fantasy that sets the limit. As you write you can decide yourself if you find something or is succesful at completing certain tasks. You however use points everytime you auto succeed something. (Look at the spoiler at the end of Gathers post in the main thread for a more detailed description of the points.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:23 am

ps: the 20 points mentioned are points for actions to do, the more complex the more expensive if you want to suceed. It is not points to build the character like spending them on attributes. There are none in this game. Just roleplay him and give him/her a few abilities.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:53 pm

Burns, you're very welcome to join in, we'd love to have you on board and the tribe will benefit from an extra PC. There's a bunch of useful info in the first post and only two in-game days have passed since we started :)

Re: Durang's items:
Here are the items your character has at the start of the game.

-Basic Clothing (that you are wearing) - this is mostly going to be furs and hides tied on with sinews or roughly sewn. You can make it how you want appearance-wise, but it is very basic.

*Long loops of vine ropes (from your backstory)
*Stone hammer
*Flat shard of obsidian that you found, about as long as your palm (see: http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... detail.png)

+Waterskin, +Sling Bag
As Durang is alive he will not just let people take his stuff, but his belongings are available for him to use (via other people spending his points.) Re: Durang's points - He didn't spend too many, and technically he's earned at least 1 every update for being alive, so for the sake of convenience let's say he has 25.

Also note, as Gathers has reminded me by asking about Durang's gear, that the tribe honour their dead but are in a pretty dire situation: thus they will bury/inter Ril in her clothes but not with her belongings, as they would consider it wasteful. Therefore, Ril's equipment is also in the cave, it will be in a corner somewhere where the female villagers put it when they washed and dried her body. NPCs are unlikely to pick it up and use it without direction but anyone can technically use it now, it's become communal property unless someone tries to gain "ownership" of one of the items. She had the following:
Here are the items your character has at the start of the game.

-Basic Clothing (that you are wearing) - this is mostly going to be furs and hides tied on with sinews or roughly sewn. You can make it how you want appearance-wise, but it is very basic.

*Flint knife in otterskin pouch (which you made)
*Scoop-style fishing net, braided sinew around a triangle of sticks with a wooden handle (which you also made - it's not very big though)
*Sinew line and fishing hook carved from bone.

+Waterskin, +Sling Bag

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:03 pm

What is the layout of the land? How close is a river/source of water?

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:40 pm

There's a map in the first post, along with a bunch of other info that will help. Distances are approximate, but it's about a half hour walk to the river or the small forest from the cave, or ten minutes through the tunnel to the waterfall/pond.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:14 pm

hello there, just got back from a long couple of days..

Burns, welcome, also here is a small example of what your role is, a metaphor i think you will understand.

Imagine that the game-world that you are about to enter is a canvas with a basic layout/map of an area, you hold in your hand a paintbrush and you may (by spending points) at to the canvas as you would like. If you envision a tree, or a rock, or a herd of wild animals, or whatever, then you simply spend a varying amount of points and construct a beautiful image of this new object with your words.

As for the layout of the land and what is where, I plan on coming up with a top down map of our area which includes all of the things that have been found in our little valley.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:39 am

Welcome to Burns' character: Koael, the Gatherer. He is 14.

Koael was one of the NPCs that fled with the group and has just become a PC, remembered his name and his 3 starting items, and developed 20 Starting Points!

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:08 am

Welcome Burns to the game!

Incidentally, dear GMs did you notice that Min asked Vera a question in the game thread? I know it's the holidays and everyone's busy and all that, so I didn't want to say anything initially, but seeing how much activity has been in here (OOC) lately and no reply in the game thread yet, I thought I'd just mention it. :) I don't want to rush you, though, just to be clear on that. :thumbsup:

Hope you all have a nice and relaxed time of the year, everyone.
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:09 am

I did notice, but I've been hectic the last few days in the leadup to Christmas - but I'm working on a reply now :)

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:11 pm

I will try to post soon to respond to Jacon.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Sorry for not posting IC. Not for the lack of trying mind you. Each time I wanted to submit the internet failed and there was a blank spot, so yea...

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:11 pm

sorry, too busy with christmas and family :D (and other games)

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:21 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:Sorry for not posting IC. Not for the lack of trying mind you. Each time I wanted to submit the internet failed and there was a blank spot, so yea...
I took to copying my whole post before posting back in the day precisely because of this kind of thing happening. Saved me a great deal of needing to rewrite to just paste it into the empty box after a glitch.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:51 am

I bet Boe, being half unconscious and stuff is about to have plenty of weird dreams about bloody moons and such.. xD
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:48 pm

Oh, I thought he was awake, else I would not let Hitto ask him something. Then just ignore it.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:41 pm

Theis2 wrote:I bet Boe, being half unconscious and stuff is about to have plenty of weird dreams about bloody moons and such.. xD
What do you mean HALF unconscious?! Min thought Boe was sound asleep, if that's not the case and he listened in on this conversation she's gonna die out of embarrassment! :oops: :lol: :rofl:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:30 am

He might have heard a thing or two, but could as well think it was a dream for him. He would try his hardest to notice what's happening in his surroundings though :P

He could also be horrified and in shock that the whole thing happened right above him. :shock:
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked