The Unhallowed Isle

Home to all current Forum Games.
Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

Re: The Unhallowed Isle

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:25 pm

"Ah, yes. The pattern. Indeed I am, so long as you refer to the Keepers. With the invaders being power-hungry, we decided that the vaults needed some additional protection."
You know you're playing D&D when your party is bartering to get good prices on the sold equipment of a party member... While that party members stands 5 feet away and protests.

My forum game: The Unhallowed Isle (recruiting). OOC.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:02 am

"You are aware of the newcomers? Good, I would not like to see such people have their way. There have also been several sightings of a door at the base of a mountain. Would that be the access to these vaults?
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:18 am

"Ah, no. The door leads to the tomb of the old folk. The corpses were kept there to prevent graverobbers, and were sealed rather effectively. Unfortunately, those spells began to warp and fail. The bodies within turned to powerful monsters over time, so when the barriers finally fell, there were some complications. Even the bodies of the hounds became dangerous beasts."
You know you're playing D&D when your party is bartering to get good prices on the sold equipment of a party member... While that party members stands 5 feet away and protests.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:37 am

"Powerful beings, hm? That seems like something that should be prepared for. You have helped me greatly with this information, and I believe it may prove to save lives, if the beings from within that tomb prove to be truly powerful. I feel that I owe you for the information, so tell me, is there anything you wish of me? I shall do what I can to provide recompense, so long as it does not put the others in danger."
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:43 am

"Boro, we really should get back to the village and warn the others." Nerre urges Boro to start walking.
:zzz:

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:37 am

Eric puts his found items in his hut before heading off to the "mess" as he calls it to find out if anything new has been happening and report the rather crude traps about the place...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:12 am

"Yeah... let's go back."
Complains of Everything in Minelings.
Boro in Call of Ctulhu - Filipstad
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

In God School as Dies in Battle

My own game! Castle Story Open for everyone!

Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:33 am

10th of the month of the serpent, year 108. 11:00 AM.

The man shrugged. "A Keeper has few needs. I'll let you know if I think of anything, but for now, it's fine."

Eric heard word that the group that had gone after the attackers had come back. Two, Arrau the armorsmith and Shurin the baker, had apparently not fought, and had instead retreated because they saw something... Though what it was couldn't be determined from what they said.

Back at the village, things were mostly peaceful again. Everyone was throwing stories around of something or other. Boro, Nerre, and Gru-Baak returned without incident.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:52 pm

Eric listens to Arrau's response to why he returned when the fighting started and decides that the man either is trying to lie to save face or was just confused by his own fear. As he turns he hears someone note that the three others that went out have returned. He goes to see what the three other party members ran into. If no one else speaks up, Eric asks "Glad to see you have all returned, so who was it that launched the attack, and what occurred after our intrepid baker and armorer left you in the lurch?" His voice becomes much darker on the last few words, making it obvious that he is quite unhappy with the two yellow bellied villagers.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:52 pm

((OOC: Since Theis is bowing out, I'm going to try to write Basher out for now.))

Basher returned to the village, and then sat down at the lunch tables, looking tired and beaten. Runni investigated him, afraid that he was coming down with Mikso's sickness, and it certainly appeared that he was showing the same symptoms. He would hopefully be better very soon, especially if they finally got ahold of some kalkai leaves. However, until then, Runni moved Mikso into the house to the left of him, so that both his patients were right nearby.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:25 pm

"You are indeed a generous man. You say you are a Keeper, does that mean those of you out here are some sort of guardians of the island?"
My game:

My characters:

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:37 pm

Nerre warned the others about what was going on and that it was no accident that the sailors were here and shot the native. They were here to set up an outpost, and they seemed willing to deal a lot of suffering on those already hear to achieve their objective. Nerre did not believe that it would end at just one outpost. He feared they might slowly take over the whole island. So better stop them now.

After the others were warned, he had a word with Boro and Gru-Baak, trusting them now even more after they fought together.
"Let's have a look at what's in their backpacks. Maybe equipment, maybe more things they took from the natives. Maybe something useful for us." Nerre says and invites the others into his hut. "You want to come along so we can check all three backpacks together?" he asks.

Once inside, he carefully puts the items from the backpack on the table. He also carefully lays down the flute he looted. "Don't pour it on the table, their might be fragile or dangerous things inside. Hope we don't blow up my hut."

OOC: Can we have a spoiler including our MP-status in the next update please? I would like to do some identify work with my knowledgespell.

Orga the Strange
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Orga the Strange » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:44 pm

On the way back Gru-Baak was feeling a little upset that his opponent had fled like a coward, rather than face death with honor. That being said, he was still looking very forward to his next confrontation with him, smiling a bit to himself at what brutality they would inflict. When Nerre suggested that they take a peek inside the backpacks he grunted in agreement and set the backpack he carried with him down a little roughly not having heard Nerre's caution. "Oh, whoops.."
Unhallowed Isle - Gru-Baak Ironheart
Magic, Mazes, and Monsters Oh my! 2 - Bal-Ghash Zajar/Mage

Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:23 am

((OOC: I believe that it didn't change much, but sure.))

"That is correct. This isle is a dangerous place in theory. We try to make sure that its powers stay hidden and that it is kept free. If some group were to take control of it, they'd be able to make an army with promises of supernatural powers, then take over many of the lands."

The contents of Nerre's backpack consisted of a thick brown rod that bent partway through and had metal bits, such as a ring with another part near it near the bend. It also had two holes on one end. ((OOC: A pistol.)) Sadly, as some more experienced with firearms knew, it wasn't loaded. However, something did feel odd about it, like it was enchanted. There was also some food and three small golden coins. The coins would have to be exchanged for money of the isle, but they were even more valuable if you found a buyer who liked them.

Gru-Baak's backpack had a stone battleaxe at the very bottom, but it was also the most notable thing. It looked enchanted, and the stone that made it had various gemstone veins running along it that shifted constantly. It might be risky to touch it, however, as items like that could certainly have curses. It also had some food, a waterskin, and a golden coin.

Boro's one had a thick book on the top of it. The cover was thick, bloodstained leather, which mean that it was probably taken from a native. It was full of runes and was yellowed with age, and it felt enchanted. A knife was stuck to its back, but whether or not it was magical was uncertain because the book drowned it out. Then there were two more of the coins, some meat, and half a bottle of something.

Vina came over and inspected them. "I still have a lot of spell power. I could give you some so that you could identify these if you want, Nerre."

Stats:

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:10 pm

"I suggest not using them, until we know more about it. I will get some sleep to recover, and then try to get some knowledge about those things when I feel refreshed. As they stole things from natives, most of that might be enchanted, and you never know what effects the enchantsments can have."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:00 pm

"So you protect this island in order to protect the world. That is an honourable cause. I wonder, if you are doing as you say, then would you be willing to tell me why the vault that you and your fellows protect is so important?"
My game:

My characters:

Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:44 pm

The man paused briefly to pocket his pipe, then said, "Nobody knows just how many people have wound up on this isle one way or another. A lot of them enchant items for one purpose or another, and while this is all fine when it's a mace that can send its head flying at enemies, when the items get downright dangerous, they need to be locked up. We made the vault as a sort of maze designed specially to be impossible to explore reliably and incredibly dangerous unless you know what to expect. That way it's safer than anything short of a fortress. We figure that if the items are kept secured, we won't have anyone getting possessed by magical helms or such."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:54 pm

"That is probably a wise decision... A final question, do you know of where I may find any kalkai leaves? One of our number has fallen ill, and it is thought that these leaves will aid his recovery, but we do not know where to locate them at this time of year."
My game:

My characters:

Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:16 pm

"Ah, yes. They are quite rare right now, but there is a variety up on the mountain that should still be around even at this time. They aren't too far up, but they may be difficult to notice unless one's specifically looking for them."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:38 pm

"Excellent! Many thanks for your assistance. I must be off now." Unless the man stops him, Dietro begins the trek to the mountain.
My game:

My characters:

Orga the Strange
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Orga the Strange » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:25 am

As the others talked, Gru-Baak watched the shifting patterns on the axe with increasing interest. Though he vaguely understood the risks of magical items, his curiosity got the better of him and he found himself picking up the axe.
Unhallowed Isle - Gru-Baak Ironheart
Magic, Mazes, and Monsters Oh my! 2 - Bal-Ghash Zajar/Mage

Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:13 am

Dietro eventually came across a group of the leaves high on the mountain. However, he also noticed a long, smooth road near them. It wound its way into the distance in both directions, and was large enough for several people.

When Gru-Baak picked up the axe, there was a strange low rumble, and then a glove of similar stone appeared around his hand. It appeared flexible but tough, though it was a bit cumbersome.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:21 pm

Eric watches for a moment as the Gru-Baak moves towards the axe. He steps forward and picks up the handgun on the table...more as a convenient metal projectile rather than attempting to inspect it...but as Gru-Baak seems not to have gone mad with picking up the axe, Eric turns his attention to the weapon now in his hand..."You know I am quite familiar with a number of these types of alchemist powder powered weapons like this from my years in the service..."

He notes that he does not see any shot or powder with the weapon. "However, your lacking any powder or shot for this weapon...which seems odd..."

He then inserts a finger in the barrel (or barrels) to see if there are any twisting grooves inside, how smooth the inside bore is (telling him how well made the weapon is), and how dirty the inside of the barrel is (telling him how well the weapon was cared for)

Eric also inspects the "lock" mechanism to see how it actually is readied and fired. "And this is..."

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Loyal Backstabber
Speaks Quietly

Post by Loyal Backstabber » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:11 pm

The pistol seemed to be very smooth, although the inside was remarkably clean. If it had been the other way around, it would have been easier to make it into a useful weapon, but as it was, it probably wouldn't be as effective.

The lock was the most interesting part. It seemed to be a pretty standard flintlock, but there was an enchantment on the lock, probably to make it so that the flint sparked easily. What was oddest of all, however, was the fact that, upon further inspection, it didn't seem that gunpowder was supposed to be used, let alone that had ever been put in the pistol.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:24 pm

Dietro quickly gathers some leaves and hurries back to the Village.
My game:

My characters: