Civilization V: Real Life in the way, calling it quits.

Home to all current Forum Games.
LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Re: Civilization V: Heart of the Maelstrom: 605.01 (finally)

Post by LAYF » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:56 pm

Nolandking wrote: What that LAYF trying to become a necromatic god? If their going be a necro god it going to be me lol. I made the Zelphicite Staff just for that goal in mind.
► Show Spoiler
-Best regards LAYF

D34dlock
Is Heard Often

Post by D34dlock » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:39 pm

We seem to not want to destroy the forest by flooding it. That means relocating the ground. Lift gas is a good start. The mountain above fell but the volcano below should still remain. If we are lifting the ground we would need to cut not just the ground pieces border edges but also the undercut. If we cut pockets in the undercut we can put lift gas in the pockets to hold it up and keep it up. If I remember correctly we can partially compress the gas already. If we put enough of that in airtight sacks it should let the ground float on water if not on air. I know there is a temple at the center of the lake. If we use the stone we cut out too build a tower we could just put the land we remove at the lake center and have a dry path to the temple below. I forget if we already built a tower there. To Expand the lake to 4 times it's size we need to increase it radius by about 50%. That is a lot of undercut. Could we accelerate that with magic? Can we create a magic whirlpool & have the edge of it cut the undercut? Normally it's fastest in the center & slowest at the edge. That's bad for cutting. Having it spin faster would just fling the water out of the lake & wouldn't cut much. How would you reverse that so it's more like a growing circular saw blade? How would you keep the water in the lake so it cuts instead of splashing out? Can we do this next winter so the ice sheet that forms on the surface can spin as the blade? How do we not shatter or melt the ice when we do? Can we use the divine power of the temple for any of this somehow? It is at the center. If we can, at what depth should the cut be made so it doesn't cut the trees or Merixs roots? How much distance from the new shore to the island should we have. How far to make siege weapons useless? How much of the land would we need to lift up in the air to get the distance. Would continuing the tower up into the air & having the land of the island spiral up around it be a good idea if we do have to lift the ground?

Just my warped train of thought. I had to get it out there.
I'm still reading shifters.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:48 pm

actually, i had a thought...what if we created a portal construct that could be carried, turn it on while you "scoop" up dirt and have it "fall" out of the other end (portal) into the location of our choosing.

As for where to put the dirty dirt, i like the idea of building up a mountain surrounding the tower that we are building at the center of the lake..that could be really awesome.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:48 pm

Hmm.. what if we could combine this:
► Show Spoiler
With this:
► Show Spoiler
Effectively making the land raise above the water, but having tree roots down to take up water (so the islands don't' die)
-Best regards LAYF

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:54 pm

I like that with one change.

What if there were giant trees (redwood type) holding up islands of dirt...but at various heights.

so, what you said i guess... :)

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:59 pm

yep... if we stall this 2-3 rounds, I'll have an FH - Trance and 12 XP.. If I get help I can use that to try and extend my roots and shoot up the massive trees all around the lake, lifting up big chunks of land...
We can use the 2-3 rounds preparing by sowing seeds of different trees that we "connect to Merix" then all we need is more water...

yep.. I change my action... instead of reading the scrolls, I use the SA to start making mental control over a bunch of seeds, to link them to me.

To explain:
► Show Spoiler
I fully expect the result to be awesome sauce.... then we just need to get water after that...

Oh.. any help both with preparing the seeds and especially during the trance in 2-3 (maybe 4 if I get low results) rounds.
-Best regards LAYF

D34dlock
Is Heard Often

Post by D34dlock » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:08 pm

I should use my SA just in case I get another next round. I don't want to waste the chance to refill my actions.

SaruSama
Likes to Contribute

Post by SaruSama » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:11 pm

Just gonna throw this out there with expanding the lake, couldn't we ask her for guidance. I mean as to whether digging down would be acceptable or if it has to be expanded surface area wise?

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:11 pm

D34dlock wrote:I should use my SA just in case I get another next round. I don't want to waste the chance to refill my actions.
By all means... please help with the seeding of seeds for seeding hte ground ritual :P
SaruSama wrote:Just gonna throw this out there with expanding the lake, couldn't we ask her for guidance. I mean as to whether digging down would be acceptable or if it has to be expanded surface area wise?
Well... yes... but... but flying Islands suspended by trees.... :schwing: :puppy: :freaky: :grin:
-Best regards LAYF

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:16 pm

Cloud Eye can probably harness some rain clouds using his wind magic to provide water if you ask him to. Also, this way he'll finally be able to dock his mansion somewhere, instead of having it float above everything! :)

D34dlock
Is Heard Often

Post by D34dlock » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:32 pm

SA
Myron will try to gather the spirit essence. He will try to use it to get a spirit guide/companion. As a Shaman he seems to be missing one. He would prefer an Eagle although Hawk would not be bad considering the dangers of spirit walking.

____

Sorry my math was wrong. we would need to double the radius to increase the size by four. think of a 2 by 2 square. Now think of a 4 by 4 square. Put the 2 by 2 at the center of the 4 by 4 & you see what I mean.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:17 am

She did -not- say how to or in what direction to expand. Only that she wanted it four times normal size. Interpret that how you will. Going to make the rolls now, will write the post tonight in bits and pieces and if it doesn't go up tonight it will go up tomorrow.

Oh, and Badge: the Levitation Gas was long since lost, it was a natural occuring magical feature that was destroyed when everything went necromantic and then went boom.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:49 am

@Aegis: technically i didn't say how to levitate said islands...so, who knows. It could be a network of roots as LAYF suggested

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:02 am

Only reason that might not work is that all his floating island information for pulling this off is based on a game where several maps have been built on the premise of gravity not working as it should exactly.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:07 am

Dave..... Magic... and if not magic.... A Wizard did it!
-Best regards LAYF

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:14 am

yeah dave....we live in a world of magic, where gravity can be ignored.

D34dlock
Is Heard Often

Post by D34dlock » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:14 am

So we would need to find something strong to support the land. Trees are living things & they burn. We need something stronger. Can we find trees of stone? or some kind of living petrification so the trees are stone but still live & grow? So lets get creative with our ideas for magic that can help support the island.

Decanter of endless water is easily in our abilities. So water at the top & filling the lake is not a big problem. Create water is an orison. We could, if we up our arcane magic rate, have a stream that flows up the underside of the spiral then flows down the top side. Reverse Gravity on the underside of the spiral to have an upside down zone would also be fun. Double the land to work with.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:20 am

Perhaps we could fine a way to blend iron or stone with trees as you mentioned... except, perhaps using a mixture of science and magic. Kind of like stoneflesh or adamantineflesh <--- would be awesome...and then find a way to make adamantium trees...while we're at it, and/or once we figured out how to make this a perm effect, we could make Merix into an adamantium tree...impervious to nearly everything.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:13 pm

Next post monday, if not monday then tuesday.

My landlord has been doing some severely illegal things. If I defy him, I get thrown out (which breaks lease and he flees to India to avoid being sued, if he doesn't send legbreakers instead). If I obey any of his plots and plans to pull a fast one on the government, I'll go down in flames with him and get in trouble THAT way too. The lawyers I talked to said NY laws (and bribery/intimidation) are too screwed up for me to have much leverage right now, if any. So this is just a warning that I may wind up offline within the next month to two months. I'll keep it going for as long as I can though, as I want to see where you guys go with Ehlonna's Refuge.

Cast of Characters [NPCs]
► Show Spoiler
Cast of Characters [Players]
► Show Spoiler

TRANCE!:

► Show Spoiler

Special Notes:

► Show Spoiler

People, Places and Things Discovered:

► Show Spoiler

The Treasury
► Show Spoiler

The Aspects and Experience
► Show Spoiler

Actions Done:
► Show Spoiler

Population
► Show Spoiler

The Current Date: 605.01
Things Incoming: Spawning Begins [605.03], Tower/Temple/Underwater Lake Village completed [605.04], Spawning Ends [605.07], Spawn Eggs hatch [606.02]
Storylines Running: Death Isn't The End (Ends in 605.08)

We begin with the EXP awarded for both little wars. From the Werewolf combat you're awarded 10 Warfare, 10 Village Defense, 6 Group, and 6 Spiritual EXP. From the Gnolls, not so much since only Cloud Eye was really present; 4 Warfare, 4 Militia and 4 Tinkery (this was added after I did the rolls for the month).

On the dragon front, word has come back with some of the ponies sent to assist in building turrets for Cloud Eye; it seems that Neon Prism is gaining a little bit of popularity back home. There's a little bit of tension mounting in Silverstream as those ponies living in Golden Stone are acting a bit more arrogant than normal. Normally Vontaethraxxia would mediate disputes and the like but she went off to give Bob and Lisa a bit of a bitching-out (or in this case, smackdown). Word returns that Tharvressil survived the green dragons and sent them running, and Vontaethraxxia came on in the ass-end of the battle. She's hurt, but nowhere near as bad as when she went up against Maraxia. Brosolvraxx and Thrissaldexxa won't be bothering anyone any time soon unless they venture out to annoy the Dartemba, and the Dartemba are more than smart enough to not go near (or where they think is) their lair.

Speaking of Maraxia, a group of Dartemba sorcerers and Grippli shamans have broken through Jethril Vok's ward on Maraxia's lair. They return with nervous news. It seems that the "regenatory ruby" that was in the center of the lair is active still, and if enchanted properly it can "reboot one's brain through their skin." yes I read Schlock, shaddap. This is the same thing. If the Dracolich gains control of it, he will be able to cross death's door at will and be able to animate any body close to him to use as a "vessel" if his dragon body is slain. He could also "die" and reanimate at will; you could kill him and he'd just loiter about until there was a body to inhabit (or steal). The body gets the dragon template, but their soul is consumed (so if Jethril Vok vacates the body, it dies). If the Dracolich gets the gem he will have lordship over death in his immediate area (a 50' radius), and he could basically point and snap his finger-talons if he wanted going "Bang, you're dead." and the target would drop dead with no save.

Normally the gem has a very strong regeneration effect for any reptiles in the lair (didn't help much against a fellow Wyrm when Vontaethraxxia attacked Maraxia though). Multiple ideas are discussed, from bringing it to Tharvressil or Vontaethraxxia for safe keeping, to outright destroying it, to holding it in the village and trying to alter its enchantment. If the gem is forcibly removed from its location, it will "overheal" anything in its area (think of it as an explosion of positive energy), basically filling any organic holes with cells (cancer) and reducing life in its area to misshapen blobs of flesh. It needs to be "dispelled in layers" first, which is NOT going to be easy (a series of 95+ rolls) but with your sorcery boosted as it is, it is possible.

At home, Merix creates three "World Tree Oaks", where they will only grow with lake-specific water; if the lake is destroyed or dried up the trees will die. The seeds will be triggered with an "over-explosion of life" (Merix's command, Narasimha's blood, or a strong positive energy flow from the spirit world). Once the trees are grown they are as set as Merix is, and new oaks cannot be created by Merix for nine game months. Meanwhile Cloud Eye expands to 15 turrets but that's the most he is ever getting; he can split them between airborne and ground based defense as he sees fit and can flip their function on command (so airborne locks to the ground, and vice versa). While doing so he discovers a new material he calls "Lifecloud" (made from Merix's IME, clouds and the lake's water) and when he condenses this and uses this on his turrets as a coolant it functions as a Magic Circle Against Evil, protecting them from hostile attacks by spiritual things. The Pit Golem is terrified of Lifecloud and it burns him if he's within 10 feet of it, doing irreperable damage.

Triton unlocks the Onyx Portal and finds it descends into the darkness through a series of caves. Night Seeker's Pit Golem says the tunnel into the dungeon radiates evil as strong as his, as well as the stink of sulphur, suggesting a gate or connection to the Lower Planes below. When Triton sends in a ball of spiritual light to illuminate the tunnel going into the dungeon, the walls seem to come alive, howling and moaning. The sound is dully filtering up into Ehlonna's Refuge and is putting people ill-at-ease, which is NOT a good thing when you're about to spawn eggs as Grippli! Destroying the source of the magic would probably require going into the dungeon.

Myron gathers the spirit essence and sure enough it imprints on him, so only he may wield it safely. He shapes the vast majority of it into a hawk and filters it with his own life energy, essentially it becoming an extention of himself. When he shifts back to the material world, he finds that the "Hawk" is made of his essence and IME; it is as if the nature energy completely shrugged off his own and the two remain separate things. There is also a thin tie of a ley line from him to the "hawk" that can be seen by anyone with magical skill; if this line is severed, it'd be like cutting the blood vessels away from the heart (he'd be one-shot). It's a simple ley line too; anyone with basic knowledge would know how to dampen it or twist it, if not flat out dispel it. Grikkul and Myron compare notes, looking for similarities between Evan and this new Hawk made of light (whatever color Myron's IME is)

The Grippli research ways to expand the lake. Ehlonna did not say how to do it, only to get it done. Multiple plans are thrown about, but the two that seem to be settled upon are either a series of "water rings" with small sandbars between each ring (for an ecosystem), or simply digging straight down until the lake is four times as deep and petitioning Ehlonna to make it rain enough to fill the lake (Cloud Eye's manor has the power, but not the internal resources unless he manages to stabilize that mini-hurricane still sparking out of his central steampunkish "weather computer"). Digging down would be easier; the ground is soft mud and even the harder stone should be able to give way unless you uncover something under the final remains of the sunken temple originally there.

Finally, something has been attracted to the Pit Golem. It's a Hound Archon, and he has made camp outside of the Duke's castle. His intent is to kill the Pit Golem, and he wants to talk to the local leaders first as to why it's been allowed to spring into existence. If this Hound Archon (an adventurer by the name of Glydeonic) were to sense Ilphnilee's power, or the Zelphicite Staff, he'd come for her, too. Merix senses that he will not be swayed from his mission, and the nearly Inactive... Burns had better vote soon Pseudodragon Kethrendi says that Glydeonic has a friend waiting in the wings if he runs into trouble (a Couatl who might have friends of his own)

A group has been prepared, mostly of Dartemba priests and shamans and more adventerous (and armored) Grippli, to head for the Sundered Ravine to take a look at the Jethril Vok situation in bigger detail. They leave this month, if anyone wants to go with them, just say you're going with them. They will arrive at the end of next month.

WILL YOU...

A) Send a mediation group to Golden Stone and Silverstream? The upper class isn't normally as arrogant as they've been getting.
B) Scry or Send a group to Cliffcrag Mountain to see what happened there?
C) Send a group to speak with the Hound Archon when he talks to the Duke? He won't bother the Grippli; the Pit Golem is his target.
D) Prepare a team to visit the ziggurat beyond Dartemba lands? it's 8 months out.
E) Attempt to dispel (or just plain smash) the Gem of Regeneration in Maraxia's Lair on your own?
F) Focus on finding a way to make the connection between Myron and his Hawk not a death sentence?
G) Send a group down into the Onyx Dungeon to break the moaning from below?
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

D34dlock
Is Heard Often

Re: Civilization V: Heart of the Maelstrom: 605.02

Post by D34dlock » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:39 pm

E F G

If I can I'll spend my EXP.

Occupation 4 (58.75/60); 2 exp
Skill 4 (57.5/60); 3 exp
Hobby 4 (55.25/60); 5 exp
SI 5 (56.25/75); 19 exp
Diplomancy 4 (56.0625/60); 4 exp

That should be 33 exp & 5 level ups.

Nolandking
Converses Frequently

Post by Nolandking » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:50 pm

G, E, B

Ilphnilee will go with the group heading for Sundered Ravine.
Haven't played this signature game in a long while but I'll try it out again.

Help these poor little guys hatch.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:36 am

A C E

Okay, since I cannot make more seeds, And I want to save the "lift the world" to my trance FH." so I guess it is time to trance...
SA + 15 AP: Merix will study the [two small arcane tomes of magic]

@Aegis
► Show Spoiler
-Best regards LAYF

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:15 am

CEG

SA +15 AP: Now that he has additional power sources, Alistair will see if he can get the Word of Recall working.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:13 am

I'm in a trance, and for the first time i have no clue what to use an SA or FH on....

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:26 am

Well... you could help prepare...

this is a quick sketch of my goal...
also, screw perspective and scale :P
(Ps, Cloud manor is really close, and the Refuge "items" have been scaled up to be visible, If I'm successful I may draw a real picture, where I think about scale and perspective and all that...)
► Show Spoiler
that would be about this amount:
► Show Spoiler
25 extra area, vs old 19.
so 44. then we just need need to add 32... ve could add that by Near doubling the depth of the lake...
-Best regards LAYF