Coming Soon: Civilization 5

Home to all current Forum Games.
Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Coming Soon: Civilization 5

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:57 am

After watching the posts in the Random thread and learning that multiple "big names" of game-designers here in the forum left, I decided to buckle down and open up a new notepad file for a new Civilization. :cheer: I know in my "what would you like to see" thread from a while back you wanted a Spore-esque "evolution" style, but after playing that in my head a few times I'm not so sure I can pull it off (also, space age goblins? no thanks) so I'm going to give you a regular Civ instead. I know I want to get away from the "usual" way of leveling the Aspects (Civ 5 will use a "Werewolf" style method of multiple d10 rolling), so there will be something new there, and I'm using the free version of Hexographer to make the map.

(I'm just waiting on an IRC script someone is writing for me that will do all the rolling/leveling much much quicker, kinda like Psimax's gears o:) ).

Let's say we'll start October 2, the middle of next week. Real Life is still rather shaky though :meh: , so I might not be able to start it at all, depending on what this upcoming week and the next weekend bring. We shall see. But yeah, Civilization 5 is incoming. Got any ideas you'd like to see as plot hooks or ideas on how to do EXP/occupations/skills/hobbies/whatever? Lemme know.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Re: Coming Soon: Civilization 5

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:36 am

may i be the first to say...Woo <--- you have to say it with excitement.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:45 am

This does sound great, they were e good read :)
-Best regards LAYF

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:27 am

The other, possibly fun thing, from what you said earlier Civ's contained ships on the open seas. So instead of a continent a series of island-nations, each with different landscapes and whatnot and either one of them belonging to the tribe, or none of them belonging to the tribe and the tribe simply starts out on a damaged boat with limited food and supplies and must "conquer" an island to call their own <--- i like this one.

Some more on the above^:

A collection of miniscule to large islands

Miniscule - These islands that vary in inhabitable or deserts, sometimes contain small sources of water but rarely any sources of food. These islands at times are no more than rocks jutting up out of the water and are made mostly of sand with little to no dirt.
Tiny - These islands contain the same rarity for water and food but tend to have both sand and dirt. They may contain springs of water but no rivers or streams, it is possible to find aquatic food sources surrounding these small isles.
Small - These islands are exactly this, small, they may contain both water and some small to medium sized animals. It could take several hours to a day to traverse from one side of these islands to the other side. These islands come in several shapes, from roundish to long and skinny. At times these islands are Volcanoes, either active or inactive. These islands can support 1-3 villages or 1 large City
Medium - These islands can support life, they may contain rivers and streams and small to large animals. They are most often settled by sentient beings. It takes several days to a week to travel along the entire length of these islands. These islands come in several shapes, from roundish to long and skinny. At times these islands contain mountains and sometimes even volcanoes. These islands can support 3-5 villages or 1-3 medium - large Cities.
Large - These islands are the continents of islands, it can take several weeks to months to traverse from one end to the other. These islands can support a small empire worth of people.
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:17 am

I very much agree with the idea of a collection of islands instead of one continent, i think it would be an interesting change and a lot of fun(Also, i promise not to make Sails # 2, but Sails never got to actually be a sea captain, so i would still like to be able to make a sea captain character. Maybe a pirate this time? An honorable pirate though. :P ).

It would probably be good to have big enough islands so that there could be some land exploration, or maybe a continent somewhere else that we don't start on, but the idea of an island start is very appealing to me.

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:23 am

I hope it will start soon!
Complains of Everything in Minelings.
Boro in Call of Ctulhu - Filipstad
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

In God School as Dies in Battle

My own game! Castle Story Open for everyone!

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:58 pm

I think I can do something to satisfy that. I did want to get to the Lidepkanti off the coast of the deasert in the last civ. I'll mess around in Hexographer and see what I can puke out.

You mean Sails wasn't a proper captain with the Desert Wind? :P

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:09 pm

Oh, he was an awesome captain, as well as an awesome character and leader. He just didn't reach his dream of being a sea captain while i controlled him. Also, this time i want to try being a honorable pirate/treasure hunter while Sails was more of an explorer/naval captain. Neither one is better than the other, i just wanted to say i wasn't going to make an identical character to Sails. :)

And thanks for trying to make an island map, i'm sure it's going to be awesome.

Edit: Not to say being a pirate wouldn't involve exploration, you need exploration both to find treasure and for adventure's sake, but it wouldn't be his main motivation.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:49 pm

Wow, Hexographer sucks.

Me: "Ok, save file "Gobs" and export as a png."
Hexographer: "Ok!" *bing*
Me: "MSPaint, open the png."
Paint: "This ain't no png, sugarcube. I don't know what it is."
Me: "... Ok, rename in the command prompt to make sure it's Gobs.png and not something else."
Command Prompt: "Ok!" *bing*
Me: "MSPaint, open the png."
Paint: "This file smells funny. I don't know what it is."
Me: "..."

Ok, I'll just use stitched-together screenshots, I'm not tossing aside about 5 hours of work as I plan this...

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:53 pm

I've got a pretty solid IRC dice roller I put together for BotWalter, I might be able to tweak it to fit your needs if it would help assuming my computer doesn't completely die before then Other than that really looking forward to the new game!
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:16 pm

SeeAMoose wrote:I've got a pretty solid IRC dice roller I put together for BotWalter, I might be able to tweak it to fit your needs if it would help assuming my computer doesn't completely die before then Other than that really looking forward to the new game!
A friend of mine wrote a whole battle script. It grew to over 350,000 lines. I had a friend of mine write me one too but I never put it into practice or made it all pretty. It kept battles interesting by means of Hazards, from a number of multiple themed sets don't ask about the Giant Adamantium Penis... but I don't think I'll put that into play. Send me a steam message, SeeAMoose (my Steam name is Capricornian) and I'll tell you what my plans are this time around for the Aspects.

Also, a desktop screenshot, as of about ten minutes ago, of a map I'm working on for the game as is. I posted this in the random thread as well.
► Show Spoiler

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:20 pm

That might be an issue as I don't use steam (not too much of a gamer... and my computer's on the verge of death anyways). I guess I'll just have to be pleasantly surprised by whatever you put together along with everyone else. ;)
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:27 pm

Can I be a clockwork/Ime swift foot? :P

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:41 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:Can I be a clockwork/Ime swift foot? :P
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :roll:

I try to avoid doing repeats. If the dice have other ideas, well...

And now, to the googlemobile for research on volcanoes...

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:12 pm

Pretty cool looking island there Aegis :) The middle area looks really well defensible, but there doesn't seem to be a good place for a port, unfortunately.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:59 am

Here's a question, would people be interested in playing races other than goblins for this run? Lizard men, Minotaurs, other ideas? I know this is a goblins-themed board, but... just something potentially new. Should I include the option, or...?

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:03 am

Totally minotaur!
I even wanted to create minotaur for my own game!
Well lizardfolk would be fun too.
Complains of Everything in Minelings.
Boro in Call of Ctulhu - Filipstad
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

In God School as Dies in Battle

My own game! Castle Story Open for everyone!

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:15 am

include the option. I love having other races available. I've always been fond (frond?) of plant-based humanoids for some reason.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:24 am

Perhaps we let the voters decide, have several options of starting races and the most shall win?

in which case, i choose mindflayers as the race we should be.or Grippli <--- (small frog things that walk upright)

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:44 am

I've always enjoyed playing drow, though i am fine with just goblins. I am curious how this will end up working though. Will the various other races have been a colony of monsters that live on the island we select(They could be the descendants of the brassmoon prisoners, i suppose), or is our clan going to start out as multiracial?

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:51 am

I would enjoy playing a haughty elf (or drow) who looks down on other races...but, perhaps i would enjoy that a tad too much.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:09 pm

Wow, more popular an idea than I thought. The image I posted yesterday will be the starting island (campfire denotes starting village, next to an active volcano with mud pits; dangerous broken lands with ram-horned gryphons lead to beachfront for potential pier/ship stuff). I -might- make it multiracial, though I'm not keen on the idea due to potential intertribe politics because of it. Grippli might be interesting. We'll see. I doubt I'd give Mindflayers as an option, I -hate- those things.

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:17 pm

WEll, we had intertribe politics even when we did have only goblins, and if our ship is the survivor of some disaster(Or a long established colony), then the townsfolk would have the bonds of long companionship and shared strife to keep them togehter, at least for the most part.

Then again, you get the final say, so choose what you think is best.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:20 pm

I once played a druid grippli in my pathfinder group, I eventually left the party because the humans kept kicking me due to my horrible social skills and saying horrible things at the wrong time. (i had a charisma of 7, so i thought i played that well)

Grippli basics

Gripplis stand just over 2 feet tall and have mottled green-and-brown skin. Most gripplis are primitive hunter gatherers, living on large insects and fish found near their treetop homes, and are unconcerned about events outside their swamps. The rare grippli who leaves the safety of the swamp tends to be a ranger or alchemist seeking to trade for metals and gems.
Standard Racial Traits

Ability Score Racial Traits: Gripplis are nimble and alert, but spindly. They gain +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, and ÔÇô2 Strength.
Size: Gripplis are Small creatures and thus gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a ÔÇô1 penalty to their CMB and CMD, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.
Type: Gripplis are humanoids with the grippli subtype.
Base Speed: Gripplis have a base speed of 30 feet and a climb speed of 20 feet.
Languages: Gripplis begin play speaking Common and Grippli. Gripplis with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Boggard, Draconic, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, and Sylvan. See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.

Feat and Skill Racial Traits

Camouflage: Gripplis receive a +4 racial bonus on Stealth checks in marshes and forested areas.

Movement Racial Traits

Swamp Stride (Ex) A grippli can move through difficult terrain at its normal speed while within a swamp. Magically altered terrain affects a grippli normally.

Offense Racial Traits

Weapon Familiarity: Gripplis are proficient with nets.

Senses Racial Traits

Darkvision: Gripplis can see perfectly in the dark up to 60 feet.

Alternate Racial Traits

The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.

Glider Gripplis' aerodynamic bodies and thick webbing between the toes enable a falling grippli to treat the distance fallen as half the actual distance. The grippli can steer himself while falling, moving horizontally up to a number of feet equal to half the vertical distance fallen. The grippli cannot use this trait if it is wearing heavy armor, is carrying a heavy load, or is unable to react to the fall (such as being helpless). This racial trait replaces swamp stride.
Jumper Gripplis with this trait are always considered to have a running start when making Acrobatics checks to jump. This racial trait replaces camouflage.
Princely The grippli gains proficiency with rapiers and a +2 racial bonus on Diplomacy and Intimidate checks. This racial trait replaces swamp stride and weapon familiarity.
Toxic Skin (Ex) Once per day as a swift action, a grippli can create a poison that can be applied to a weapon or delivered as a touch attack. Alternatively, the grippli can smear the poison on its own body as a standard action, affecting the first creature to hit it with an unarmed strike or natural weapon. The poison loses its potency after 1 hour. The grippli is immune to its own poison. This racial trait replaces swamp stride and camouflage. Grippli Poison: Skin or weaponÔÇöcontact or injury; save Fort DC 10 + 1/2 the grippli's Hit Dice plus its Constitution modifier; frequency 1/round for 6 rounds; effect 1d2 Dexterity damage; cure 1 save.

^ copied from d20pfsrd.com

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:29 pm

If I add Grippli to my list of potential races, they're going to be more barbarian-themed. Like amphibious swamp orcs. Skin like leather (bonus to armor), leaping abilities (think Dragoons out of the Final Fantasy series), some camo (because duh), potential poison (also duh).