Magic, Mazes, and Monsters Oh my! 2 [Recruiting Closed]

Home to all current Forum Games.
SGTdude
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: SGTdude

Re: Magic, Mazes, and Monsters Oh my! 2 [Now Recruiting!]

Post by SGTdude » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:20 pm

Well Im the late man to this party so I will pick my class later to balance out the other 4. I have like 3 i want to play anyways (multiclass available?) so I will wait for others to state what they are playing.

Dlover: Galain, Halfling Monk 1 - Health 3, Attack 2, Speed 3, Defense 4, Range 1; Counter Attack, Parkour
kida: Zolaz, Human Mage 1 - Health 2, Attack 26, Speed 2, Defense 1, Range 3; Magic User, Spells-Magic Bolt, Mage Armor
gamecreator: Tadil, Human Knight 1 - Health 4, Attack 3, Speed 2, Defense 4, Range 1; Smite, Healing Hands
Theis2: Theis, Elf Thief 1 - Health 2, Attack 3, Speed 4, Defense 2, Range 1; Lock Picks, Trap Sense
Orga the Strange: Bal-Ghash Zajar, Half-Orc Mage 1 - Health 2, Attack 2, Speed 2, Defense 1, Range 3; Magic User, Spells-Magic Bolt, Blink
SGTdude: Zhill, Human Barbarian - Health 5, Attack 3, Speed 3, Defense 2, Range 1 ; Bloodlust, Rage

I have taken the liberty of listing who expressed interest since you asked and if this stays the same I will likely play a either a barbarian (unless I can muticlass lol). If anybody changes their setup then I will also change my choice.

PS - If I change my mind and change my stats to put the +1 in range that means I can melee attack 2 squares away right? :stab:
Also, just occurred to me there is no cleric class. Why is that?
Last edited by SGTdude on Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.
This user has been Banned. (link to the joke)

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:43 pm

I'm keeping Galain as he is.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:46 pm

The knight takes the role of cleric. Hence why they have healing and tanking and anti undead/demon abilities.

There is no multiclassing currently implemented. Adding in racial bonuses was as complex as I wanted this to get. After seeing how the game goes with solo classes, I'll consider adding in a rule for multiclassing, but I've always been very iffy about it.

In the leveling up section of the rules it specifically states you cannot use a +1 stat gain to increase your range. Ranges are set, the only thing currently in game that increases range are the Mage's special abilities to increase it's auto attack, and the Sniper class for the Archer increasing it's attack range by almost double. Even without taking Sniper, the Archer has the longest auto attack range in the game.

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:01 pm

I was kind of joking about the range thing. And I can understand about the knight taking place of cleric. I will just wait for might leap. Looking forwarding to this.

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:24 pm

Hmm... so six players so far, it's only Tuesday night here. I'm on EST so it's 21:30 my time as I type this. Decision for you guys is: Play a large dungeon (ie, lots of mobs, more than 10 levels, battles will get harder faster) with all 6 of you, split into two small 3 man groups and see if a 3 man team is viable, or wait for 2 more people to join the role call.

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:24 pm

I can drop if its necessary to help the others get started. But I would be down for a 6 man group because that would definitely make for some more epic battles and boss fights

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:32 pm

I'm cool with any of the options.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:27 pm

Ok, so no response from anyone else, and we have 6 people. So guys, vote on either being split into two small groups of 3 (you'll eventually meet up at a later floor) or start of in a big group of 6 (battles will be tougher from the start).

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Re: Magic, Mazes, and Monsters Oh my! 2 [Recruiting Closed]

Post by gamecreator » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:30 am

If we are going to meet later anyway, I don't care.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:06 am

Small groups.
My game:

My characters:

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:07 am

If we are doing groups, it would make sense to put me orga and theis together and then keep the other group unchanged essentially. My concern is that running two groups might cause the game to run a bit slower for both parties. So I will reiterate my willingness to drop so that a single party of 5 can start immediately if that will actually change anything.

If the groups to get split the way I mentioned, I might want to change my character. I guess I just need a deadline of when we are starting for sure so that I can make y decision and also any feedback from those that would end up being in my group.

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:43 am

SGTdude wrote:My concern is that running two groups might cause the game to run a bit slower for both parties.
Why would you think that? Naturally, the more people in a group the slower game becomes, as they all need to post for update.

Orga the Strange
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Orga the Strange » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:56 am

Mmm, I'm leaning heavy torwards the big group, just because it'll be interesting to see how well we can all play off each other, buuuuut I'd be down for smaller groups.
Eh, put me down for The Mega Group.
Unhallowed Isle - Gru-Baak Ironheart
Magic, Mazes, and Monsters Oh my! 2 - Bal-Ghash Zajar/Mage

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:48 am

Well, I think that Cro having to run two completely separate games would make it slower. It might seem like it goes faster with a smaller group because you have to wait on less people, but then he is tasked up with keeping up with monster health/pc health/treasure/levels/etc for basically two separate dungeons. So I think ultimately a larger group would go "faster" but I think the larger group would be more interesting to play as Orga mentioned, in spite of the increased difficulty.

So I vote larger groups (if I get a vote as the latecomer). I have been torn on what to play based on how this vote will turn out because I want any group I am in to have good stability. After thinking about it, this is what I have (assuming no one else changes characters):

Big group
Dlover: Galain, Halfling Monk 1 - Health 3, Attack 2, Speed 3, Defense 4, Range 1; Counter Attack, Parkour
kida: Zolaz, Human Mage 1 - Health 2, Attack 26, Speed 2, Defense 1, Range 3; Magic User, Spells-Magic Bolt, Mage Armor
gamecreator: Tadil, Human Knight 1 - Health 4, Attack 3, Speed 2, Defense 4, Range 1; Smite, Healing Hands
Theis2: Theis, Elf Thief 1 - Health 2, Attack 3, Speed 4, Defense 2, Range 1; Lock Picks, Trap Sense
Orga the Strange: Bal-Ghash Zajar, Half-Orc Mage 1 - Health 2, Attack 2, Speed 2, Defense 1, Range 3; Magic User, Spells-Magic Bolt, Blink
SGTdude: Zhill, Elf Archer - Health 2, Attack 3, Speed 4, Defense 1, Range 8 ; Keen Eye, reflexes <OR>
Dwarf Knight - Health 5, Attack 2, Speed 2, Defense 4, Range 1 ; Smite, Healing Hands

Small Groups (as I assume they will be formed)

SGTdude: Zhill, Dwarf Knight - Health 5, Attack 2, Speed 2, Defense 4, Range 1 ; Smite, Healing Hands

My decision on the big group would be whether or not we think we need more heals, and other factors.

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:41 am

I vote for big group, but under the assumption we're not waiting for late players (I.e. If a player doesn't post in time for next update his char stays idle)

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:30 am

So then:
6man - SGT, Orga, Kida
3man - Dlover
Neutral - gamecreator

Theis? It kind of seems like the majority wants a big group, but we havent heard from you or Cro (he should get the deciding vote since he has to run it). And then if Theis doesnt respond or is not interested I would think we would default back to a 5man group. I also support the "deadline for posting" that Kida mentioned and think there should be some kind of call at this point as in "we are officially starting on XX". But I defer to Cro in all this. I just am interested in seing this get started.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:59 am

I'm pretty much indifferent for the big/small group deal :P
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:12 am

Dlover, you initially expressed indifference. With Theis sounding off, can we go ahead with a big group of 6? Or do you really really not want to do that?

Cro, can you give us any kind of estimate of when you might actually start just so we know how long we have to discuss this?

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:43 am

If everyone is ready I can start Wednesday afternoon, probably whenever I wake up. Just need to make the map for the starting dungeon.

A note for the big group, I give at most 3 days between updates, if everyone updates before the deadline then I update sooner, but if you are missing for 3 days and haven't said ahead of time what your character would do while you are missing, your character remains idle and takes no action beyond moving to stay with the group.

I am fine with the small group or the big one, as I have been playing as a DM for games for 13 years so I don't have an issue tracking multiple games. The big group just means the enemies will be more numerous, dungeons will be larger, traps will be frequent and the loot will have to be divided between 6 of you. And the bosses will be stronger. Since you guys go first the monsters in general will simply need to be more numerous so you don't charge in and kill them all before they even have a chance of going.

So, since everyone is either indifferent or wants the Big group, I'll get started on a map for the big dungeon (all I have right now is small dungeons). Will post it with a descriptive update on Wednesday. You guys have a very offensive team, with your Monk and Knight as tanks, Your mages offensively designed so they plus the Archer and Thief provide a lot of damage, and your Knight is pretty strong as well. The only downside to your team comp is the Knight is your only healer and only he and the Monk are not squishy. The Archer and both Mages have only Health 2 and Defense 1, and the Thief Health 2 and Defense 2, so they want to be careful in combat. The Knight and Monk have the same Defense, but the Knight has more Health and so is harder to injure. As long as the Knight and Monk keep the monster aggro on them you guys should be ok for the first level. If anyone wants to make any changes please do so before Wednesday morning.

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:21 pm

Ok now I really am torn between archer/knight. I feel like we could benefit from the additional heals if I go Knight (plus we would get whatever hidden bonus there is for dwarf since there isn't one in the party), but I feel like archer, if generally agro free, can be majorly helpful offensively.

Any of the others in the group want to sound off on which they would prefer? Since I have already listed the stats for both really, it wont be hard for me to switch, and I will make my decision tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks

EDIT: Her is a question for Cro - As I understand it, when you level you get either a random stat bonus (HP/AT/SPD/DEF) or you get an ability. If that is right, would you be at all willing to consider not randomizing the stat bonus and letting us pick? To balance it a bit you could even put a rule like you cant pick the same stat twice in a row even if said stat bonuses are separated by an ability choice. Because I dont see how low stats will ever go up right now other than not taking an ability and randomly getting a boost to the one you need the most.

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:27 pm

Read rules carefully. It's said, that on level up you get one stat you choose and ability or random stat. Also everyone is healed to full HP, this is for you to consider if we need second healer.

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:21 pm

Also you guys do have Health potions as treasure so that helps take the load off the healer of the group.

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:37 pm

Yeah but that is not a really good way to play in my opinion "gee I hope we find some healing potions so we dont die in this next fight!" Is there any way to heal besides Knight/hp pots/returning to inn?

I am so tempted to play an archer but I am leaning more towards knight out of the necessity. Anyone else from the group want to sound off on the issue?

Screw it, I'm going archer. Sure we will have no dwarves, but we go no barbarians either. And yes we have one healer, but a healer is not an excuse to be stupid and get hurt. And I feel like I can play an archer in this game much more wisely than I can play any other class. So there you go. Looking forward to starting this.

SGTdude: Fithel, Elf Archer - Health 2, Attack 3, Speed 4, Defense 1, Range 8 ; Keen Eye, reflexes

Totally not important, but are we going to have a party leader? If so I nominate: not me.
Last edited by SGTdude on Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:10 pm

Party leader is usually someone trying to organize and talk common sense into people, but no one listens to them. I'm fine with being that person.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:17 pm

A knight seems ideal for a leader, so I'd say GC can do it. It won't make much of any difference in the end, though.
My game:

My characters: