Magic, Mazes, and Monsters Oh my! 2 [Recruiting Closed]

Home to all current Forum Games.
CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Magic, Mazes, and Monsters Oh my! 2 [Recruiting Closed]

Post by CroverusRaven » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:11 pm

Heros
Every Hero has the following stats
Health-How many times a hero can take a hit before dieing.
Attack-How much damage a Hero does to monsters.
Speed-How many squares a hero can move each turn.
Defense-Chance of a Hero avoiding damage from monsters and traps.
Range-How far away a Hero can attack.

Knight
► Show Spoiler
Thief
► Show Spoiler
Mage
► Show Spoiler
Archer
► Show Spoiler
Barbarian
► Show Spoiler
Monk
► Show Spoiler
Races
There are 5 races to choose from, each race gives you a slight stat bonus as well as hidden modifiers. (Don't ask what they are, they're hidden)
Human gets +1 to any stat of their choice
Dwarf gains +1 Health
Elf gains +1 Speed
Half-Orc gains +1 Attack
Halfling gains +1 Defense

Actions
Heroes can make 3 actions every turn. They can make 1 basic attack per turn until Level 4, when they can make 2 per turn, and they can make 3 per turn at Level 7. They cannot make basic attacks the same turn they use "aggressive" powers, which are any spells or abilities that do damage or inflict negative effects to a target. Heros cannot take a Move action the same turn they use an ability that moves them unless the ability says otherwise. Below is a list of what a Hero can do that is considered 1 Action.
-Make a basic Attack
-Cast a Spell or use an "aggressive" ability
-Move up to the Hero's Speed
-Open a Chest/Door
-Loot a Chest/Body
-Picking a Lock or Bashing down a Door
-Dropping/Picking up an item
-Activate an item (Potion/Scroll/Magic item Effect)
-Talking during combat up to 20 words (Talking is a free action out of combat)
-Identify a Magic item (Mages can spend a full round doing so)
-Using any ability that is not considered passive

When breaking open a door or chest the Hero doing so spends an Attack action to do so and must be adjacent to the object being broken. If they would do enough Damage to break the chest or door, they do so.
When Picking a lock or disabling a trap, Thieves typically have a better chance than anyone else. Rolling a 1 automatically fails, and in the case of a trap sets it off immediately. Success means a lock is opened, and a trap is no longer a threat.
Identifying a magic item doesn't have a high chance of success for non-Mages. Anyone can try, but Mages do it best.
Diplomacy is almost NEVER an option, this is a Hack and Slash.

Any actions the Hero wishes to take that don't fall into the above category will be determined by the GM how long they take (if possible.)

Movement and Combat
Characters move Horizontally and Vertically (No diagonal movement) but can attack in any direction. When determining the distance an enemy is from a Hero, count as if the Hero was moving. A Hero can move a number of Spaces equal to their Speed stat. They can move as all 3 of their actions for a turn if they so wish, and out of combat can presumably get anywhere in a room within their Speedx3 with little difficulty. When not in combat their move actions are not very important, except when moving into a new room. When a door is first opened the room is added to the map. If any enemies are inside they will take their actions on the next turn.

Some spaces have Difficult terrain, which costs more than 1 space of movement. The amount it costs will be listed. A Hero can still enter a space that costs more than the Hero's Speed stat, but it will take multiple Move actions to enter the space, and excess Speed does not carry over. For example, a Hero with a Speed of 3 could enter a space with a cost of 2 then continue into a space that costs 1. But if they enter a second space that costs 2 they will need a second move action, and they will not be able to use the leftover Speed to move into another space. But they can spend a third move action to enter a third space then move into a space that costs 1.

During Combat the Heroes always act first. To attack an Enemy they need only to move in range and declare the attack. If they use an ability, the ability will state if an attack is rolled of if the target simply is dealt a certain amount of Damage. The attack is determined by subtracting the target's Defense from the Attack stat and applying the difference to a dice roll, which must roll Higher than the target's current Health (meaning the more Damage a target takes, the easier they should be to hit). If the attack or ability hits, the formula for Damage is ((Attacker's Attack + Character Level) - ((Target's Defense + Health)/2). Damage from abilities always does at least 1 point of Damage, but basic attacks can be reduced to 0 Damage. The formula is designed so that a character with balanced Health and Defense stats is as good at avoiding damage as a character that focuses in one stat or the other. After all the Heroes have acted the enemies all go. They follow the same rules as the Heroes in combat. The Heroes' actions are done in order based on post order, unless a Hero specifies they will delay until after another Hero goes. "If, then" orders are suggested because if, for example, a Hero targets an Enemy with an attack and an ally kills that Enemy first, then the Hero does nothing unless they had alternative orders. Actions not spent are wasted so it is important to be aware of the actions of your allies.

When moving to a new floor all Heroes in the Team must be in the room with the steps down, and no one can be engaged in combat. There must me unanimous agreement to descend to the next floor. Returning to town is also an option, but cannot be done while in Combat and resets each Floor.

Looting
When an Enemy dies it may have some gold on it, or a key, but usually not much else. Loot carried by Enemies drops in their space and can be picked up only by a Hero in that space. When bosses or Chests are looted, the action is taken by 1 Hero but the items looted are added to a Party Inventory, from which any of the Heroes can pick loot. Gold is shared by the whole Party and placed in the Party Inventory automatically. Items equipped by a Hero can only be used by that hero and cannot be placed back in the Party Inventory unless dropped then picked back up by someone else. Heroes that die cannot have their bodies looted by their allies. See more in the section about Death below.

Death!
Heroes that drop to 0 Health have died! This is not the end for them though. They leave a corpse on the ground, which their allies cannot loot, but they can choose to do a Corpse Run. With this option 1/6th (rounded down) of the gold is deducted from the Party Inventory. The Hero appears at the start of the current Floor with a -1 to all Stats (Minimum 1). They have none of their equipment, and must spend the time running to their corpse. Once they reach it they re-equip their gear and the Stat penalties are removed. If they die en route (due to a wandering monster or missed trap) then they will have to corpse run AGAIN, losing more Gold and gaining further stat reduction (Still Minimum 1).

The second option is to wait for the Team to return to town and revive them. This costs 1/4 of the Party Gold, but there is no stat penalty and the Hero is revived with all their gear equipped. The downside of this other than being more costly is that all the floors will refresh with wandering monsters and random traps. Chests do NOT refill, and without the benefit of gaining a Level for clearing the floor, redoing a Floor is just wasting the Heroes' time and resources.

Floors and Leveling
When you reach the end of a Floor you need to have found the specific key to advance. The decision must be unanimous. After advancing to a Floor that the Heroes have not visited yet they gain a Level. This gives them several benefits, including: They gain +1 to a stat of their choice, They heal back their Health and regain the uses of their abilities listed as Per Floor, and they can decide to either(pick one) A)Gain a random +1 to their Stats or B)Gain an ability appropriate to their current level. Mages also automatically gain 1 new Spell Known. When gaining a +1 to a Stat, Range cannot be increased.

Town
The Heroes start in a Tavern and embark on their quest from their. It has an Inn for them to rest in and revitalize their Health if they don't have the potions and cannot complete a Level, a Store where they can sell useless loot and buy some basic gear, a Temple where they revive fallen allies and can ask for Divine guidance, and a Tavern to recruit new Heroes and get random side quests. Staying at the Inn typically costs the party 1 gold per Level per Hero. Prices for items fluctuate regularly but are usually pretty cheap. Reviving an ally always costs 1/4 the Party Gold, and gaining Divine Guidance is a randomly determined buff that as a fluctuating cost (read: it's a gamble).

And questions about something, please ask so I can add the rules for it to the above.

Group 1
Dlover: Galain, Halfling Monk 1 - Health 3, Attack 2, Speed 3, Defense 4, Range 1; Counter Attack, Parkour
kida: Zolaz, Human Mage 1 - Health 2, Attack 2, Speed 2, Defense 1, Range 3; Magic User, Spells-Magic Bolt, Mage Armor
gamecreator: Tadil, Human Knight 1 - Health 4, Attack 3, Speed 2, Defense 4, Range 1; Smite, Healing Hands
Theis2: Theis, Elf Thief 1 - Health 2, Attack 3, Speed 4, Defense 2, Range 1; Lock Picks, Trap Sense
Orga the Strange: Bal-Ghash Zajar, Half-Orc Mage 1 - Health 2, Attack 2, Speed 2, Defense 1, Range 3; Magic User, Spells-Magic Bolt, Blink
SGTdude: Zhill, Elf Archer - Health 2, Attack 3, Speed 4, Defense 1, Range 8 ; Keen Eye, Reflexes

And MAP(s)! (Will be edited as they update)
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by CroverusRaven on Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 42 times in total.

Dlover
Game Master

Re: Magic, Mazes, and Monsters Oh my! 2 [under construction]

Post by Dlover » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:18 pm

Remembering what they were before, signing up with Galain the monk.

Heads up, all the classes except Knight are currently blank in the ability department.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:47 pm

I'll be updating the rules over the next week until I am satisfied everything is filled out enough to address questions people had last game. Things that will be included this time around will be how combat is resolved, rules for identifying items, rules for getting past locks (you can unlock them, or break them), and the new looting system. And as the Knight class shows, I'll list all possible abilities a class CAN have (but clearly you can't get all of them). Doing the math of the monster stats, higher level monsters required the whole party to beat, but are still designed to face off against players in groups, so players will get stronger at a faster pace by getting abilities and bonus stats when you level up. So now you guys are guaranteed an ability at every level and a stat increase, but you won't be able to get EVERY ability so pick wisely!

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:28 am

Zolaze the mage sign up

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:11 am

I'm in. I will make my character when rules are ready.

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:48 am

BLARG! Stupid work computer. Had all the updates for the Thief and Mage ready and then went to post and it needed me to log in, so I did, and it didn't save the edits I had made :wall:

I just got off work so I'm going to bed and will work on it later. I have all weekend to make updates. The classes get pretty awesome this time around if you pick different abilities.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:06 am

Just so you know, if that happens again, hit the back button until you reach the page which has the fully typed document and hit post, it should recognise you are now logged in and keep all the stuff.

... At least, that's what my computer does. Maybe if you don't use Firefox it won't work? iuno.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:09 am

I'm still i'n
Say if we can help you in any way :)
-Best regards LAYF

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:18 am

I'll join too
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:38 pm

Ideas for powers you'd like to see at higher levels? A few powers I already have planned: The Thief gains stealthing, uses a flanking mechanic, and has some cool shadow abilities; The mage has so many spells to pick from, I need to make sure they don't overlap each other too much; Barbarian has the "do tons of damage" and "be freaking hard to kill" schtick, but it's hard to give them a wide variety of powers; Monk are just... awesome. If you've seen kung fu movies, they can do that kind of stuff; Archer's will have a ton of different ranged attacks, but I need to give them some other options to later on.

Also every class has 3 prestiges, which I need to work on. Suggestions are welcome.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:53 pm

Hmm.. prestige classes:

Black knight - can divert damage from himself to others with an extra attack roll (others be both friends and opponents in abject squares)
Champion - can take damage for others by getting in the way, good def.
Inquisitor - better vs undead, demons and devils.

Assasin - singel high damage attack and stealth
Performer - can mimic opponents, thus avoid detection
Trapper - can find, disarm and set traps better than any

War mage - control spells that manipulate the battle.
Blood mage - increased spell power as life lowers.
Sentinel - High damage attacks and defense spells.

Sniper - long distance attacker that avoids Def.
Hmm.... probably more... just hit a bump there inspiration wise...

Baserker - high first attack, low second attack and then attack increases the lower health he has.
Moulder - high damage low def attacker
Brute - slow, high damage attacker

Zen master - increases attack strngth the longer he battles the same opponent
Blade dancer - two weapons striker, skilled at moving and low blade damage that avoids defense
Ninja - multi technique expert (knows a lot of abilities from the other classes, but have none of its own)

Well.. that was some ideas... hope some of it is of use....
-Best regards LAYF

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:13 am

Some of those I may use to a point.

So I am not going to try updating this at work or on my roommates ipad anymore, because I take my time writing up the abilities,a nd it logs me out and I lose the information. But hopefully I'll be ready by next weekend.

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:34 am

Updating so that the starting abilities should be listed. Please look over and see if there are any grammatical errors or rule abuses that might come up.

Just brainstorming here: should I allows multi-classing? Picking up a level in a different class means you gain the Level 1 abilities of that class, and your regular stat boost for leveling. The downside of course being that you don't get one of the abilities of your primary class that you would have received at level 2. Possibly limit which classes can be combined? Or just drop the idea all together...

Going to work on the Thief abilities now.

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:49 pm

Count me in when it starts!

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:21 pm

All classes have their Level 1 abilities and Knight and Thief have all their level up abilities and Prestiges filled out. Getting started on Monk and Barbarian, then will do Arsher and lastly Mage. Mage might be the hardest because they will have many spells available.

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:39 am

Hey guys, go ahead and pick your classes and name your characters.If you want any specific hair, skin color, eye color, weapon, let me know. I'll post the sample images of what the character classes look like as a base.

Also, opinion: Should I add races? Each race gives a +1 to one stat, modifies your appearance a bit, and gives you an extra 1/floor ability.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:52 am

CroverusRaven wrote: Also, opinion: Should I add races? Each race gives a +1 to one stat, modifies your appearance a bit, and gives you an extra 1/floor ability.
If you feel like it you should... just remember that each ability makes balance harder...
-Best regards LAYF

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:38 am

I'm not particularly worried about customisation until I've seen the bases, and after the possibility of races has been decided. I think I've already plotted out a full path for skills, and it seems a monk can get all but one of their abilities if they plan ahead. I won't, though, Diamond Mind and Pure Body are things I won't wait for the dungeon boss to be beaten before I get them.

Seems Mage is still missing most of its abilities and prestige details, by the way.
My game:

My characters:

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:41 pm

Ah right, forgot my last update didn't go through before the forums crashed. Mage is proving the hardest to set up because I want to give it a wide range of spell options, knowing they can only gain 1 of their new spells each level so they have to choose carefully.

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:29 pm

The rules are complete, classes are done. Once I figure out what I can use to make maps and show examples of the characters I will.

Please begin choosing your classes guys! I want to get this game started by Saturday! October 5th is the start date!

Edit: Also, please vote Yay or Nay on if I should add Races. They will include Humans (+1 any stat), Half-Orcs (+1 Attack), Dwarves (+1 Health), Elves (+1 Speed), and Halflings (+1 Defense)

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:30 am

I don't care about adding races.

Also it seems to me, that you didn't intend Range to be gainable stat, whether from leveling or from racial bonus. Is it true?

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:34 am

I'll vote Yay on races, and set Galain to be... A halfling.
My game:

My characters:

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:27 am

Correct, Range does not change unless you have a class ability you can pick up that increases it.

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:46 am

You should clarify rules then.
Also I'm glad you are consistent in measuring distance in game.

My character is Tadil, human (+1 attack) knight.

Nolandking
Converses Frequently

Post by Nolandking » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:19 am

Meat will be reborn as an Half-Orc Barbarian in group 2.
Haven't played this signature game in a long while but I'll try it out again.

Help these poor little guys hatch.