Test-full Adventures, OOC(non player input also appreciated)

Home to all current Forum Games.
LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Test-full Adventures, OOC(non player input also appreciated)

Post by LAYF » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:05 pm

► Show Spoiler
At the One Eyed Bull Inn, Three friends sits in a heated discussion!
"I say that we can all try out for the dukes guard, they pay okay, and you get a place to live"
"Piss of a diving horse if I'll work for that fool, It was his taxes that made up poor in the first place"
"But, I'm hungry now...."

"I know, I know.. then what about the blacksmith and the deer hunter, they both seek apprentices, and I'm sure we could find a third job in the next town"
"No... ! We promised father to stay together. we cannot part!"
"I DON'T CARE, I'M HUNGRY!"

"Eh ehem!... gentlemen.. if I may" Says the Brown clad figure in the corner and throws a small brown leather bag.. *cling cling* sounds as it hits the table...
"There should be enough to give you all a meal... now please hear me out..."
"...I once used to be an adventure, but sadly, that ended when I took a sword to the lung...
... What? Why do you look like that? Expected me to say something else??

.. Anyways... On the way back from my last adventure.. me an my party came across this small stronghold..."

"On the top of it stood one lone Orc...
Tabor the mind bender, our groups evil'ish cleric decided to dominate this Orc and all his friends in that place...
The rest of us.. not really wanting to have anything to do with that prick of a goblins reproduction organs.. decided to just go on our way... And I needed a healer anyways..

This is all fine and well.. But what do you know.... when I get back on my feet.. I soon learn that that infernal leftover of a trolls foot scrapings had stolen my price sword...
Now.. not that the sword was magical or anything.. Its just a family heirloom... so I kind of need it back.. Oh.. and its magical...

So here is the deal... If you three agree to all become members of the Adventure guild, and thus take up adventure classes.. and will try to retrieve my sword for me.. I'll pay for your introduction fee to the guild and buy you some starting gear for.. lets say 150 gold each... what do you all say?"

So.. that's it...

If you want to sign up.. HERE Is the pdf with the rules and is a DOC version.. you will get the most out of reading it as pdf... as its more nicely set up... and there is a character sheet if you want to print that and have your character handy...
IF you don't like the hellish slow connection Scribd gives, send Me PM with your Email and I'll just send it that way... OR read it here as text:
► Show Spoiler

And for character sheet, you can just use this version:
► Show Spoiler

There is 1 limitation.. The 3 characters used must be of each their base class (Warrior, Thief and Caster) As this is a test game...

I'll chose the players not before 24 hours from now.. and no later than Sunday.....
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Test-full Adventures, The Getting back II game. Sign up!

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:59 pm

Shit yeah! But I can't make a character right now cos I need sleep... I'll have one done tomorrow.

I would like the rogue though if no-one minds.

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:29 pm

IN!

I think that I'd like Barbarian. WIll have it done up soon. Would I ever be able to lose the penalty for dual-wielding?

Actually, LAYF. I was thinking about it while doing chores. The penalty for dual-wielding doesn't make sense to me. -3 is a little much.

Follow me:
The Axe does 1d5+1 Damage
If I dual wield them, then it's a -3 penalty to each
So each axe, when dual-wielded, does 1d2+1 damage
Two 1d2+1 can roll the same or less than 1d5+1 but not more
Therefore, wielding one axe is more effective than wielding two axes
Last edited by BeanDip on Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:08 pm

FYI, there was a discussion about this game in it's development stages over here: http://goblinsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=709 Which is easier than me repeating myself.

Oh, I think the barb penalties to hit will be killer on anything with a fair def. Of course the trade off is more damage. I just don't think that will be playably worth it long term. 1d6 + 1d(4, maybe 5) - 3, gives a range of -1-8, which needs to get to 4 to hit an unarmored unmagiced human. Like I said, I think the barb will be a whif machine. I suppose the barb could stick to 1 weapon until he levels up enough to making hitting easier, but I suspect the math will still work against him. Put it like this, in d&d a TWF ranger has that as one of the things that makes the class, and gets the penalties down to -2 on a d20 scale, IIRC. This is -3 on a d6 scale. -10% vs -50%.

LAYF:
► Show Spoiler
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:50 pm

I have some edits to my previous post up.

Order of weapons by increasing damage range:
knife
dagger
spear
bow
short sword
axe
long sword
two handed sword
double axe
falchion

It is not alphabetical, but I think it is more usefull. Also, I'd probably generaly recommend higher prices further down the list.
► Show Spoiler
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:36 pm

I'm late, right?
Complains of Everything in Minelings.
Boro in Call of Ctulhu - Filipstad
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

In God School as Dies in Battle

My own game! Castle Story Open for everyone!

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:11 am

BeanDip wrote:IN!

I think that I'd like Barbarian. WIll have it done up soon. Would I ever be able to lose the penalty for dual-wielding?

Actually, LAYF. I was thinking about it while doing chores. The penalty for dual-wielding doesn't make sense to me. -3 is a little much.

Follow me:
The Axe does 1d5+1 Damage
If I dual wield them, then it's a -3 penalty to each
So each axe, when dual-wielded, does 1d2+1 damage
Two 1d2+1 can roll the same or less than 1d5+1 but not more
Therefore, wielding one axe is more effective than wielding two axes
Oh.. the - is to the attack roll, not the damage... that said.. it might still be to steep...

TTW's Posts:

I do see your points...
The idea with armor proficiency is good, And I don't know why that did not cross my mind :S
Another thing I see I forgot to put in was the Classes starting Abilities

THEY ARE HERE FOR EVERYONE TO SEE:

barbarian + 2 ATK, + 4 Health.
Burglar +2 ATK, +2 STEALTH & SPOT
Cleric +1 ATK & POW, +2 HEALTH +2 lore (Devine)
fighter +2 ATK, +1 RNG, +2 Health
Holy warrior. +2 ATK, +2 Health & lore(devine)
Hunter +2 RNG + 2 Spot & Search
Scout. +1 ATK & RNG, +2 Spot & Search
War mage +2 POW +2 Health +2 Knowlede(Arcane)
Wizard +2 POW + 2 Lore(Arcane) & Profession(___)

AAND.. I gota go.. will write more later...

Borys, you are not to late :)
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:40 am

For your 'rogue' stats, burglar and scout are the same. Would it make more sense for the burglar to be +2ATT, scout +1ATT +1RNG and hunter (the same) as +2 RNG? Just means a little more customisation to turn the burglar into an up-close assassin :)

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:43 am

I'll join and just get whatever class is leftover if I get a spot.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:00 am

thinkslogically wrote:For your 'rogue' stats, burglar and scout are the same. Would it make more sense for the burglar to be +2ATT, scout +1ATT +1RNG and hunter (the same) as +2 RNG? Just means a little more customisation to turn the burglar into an up-close assassin :)
Ah... yes.. that makes sense... and the Scout was meant to have Search and Spot.... not spot and stealth... so that's fixed. :)
-Best regards LAYF

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:25 am

Sorry for double post.

I've fixed the stats so they appear on the classes as well. the Dual wield for Barbarian is lowered to 2. and some fix of armors and the general dual wield rules.
Both the spoiler above and the PDF is updated to show that...

So far, signups are:

BeanDip
Borys (I take your "I'm to late aint I?" as a "I'd like to sign up")
THeis
Thinks
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:21 am

Do you want characters drawn up before you choose or are you going to pick players first?

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:33 am

Both are okay. It will not affect the outcome :)
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:01 am

Cool, ill wait then cos I have no real preference.

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:17 am

Moved this response to the proper sign-up thread...

http://www.goblinsforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 512#p68512
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:42 am

I'd like to be a Thief/Scout.
Complains of Everything in Minelings.
Boro in Call of Ctulhu - Filipstad
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

In God School as Dies in Battle

My own game! Castle Story Open for everyone!

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:18 am

Ding, this is my line to join, just need to read over the rules and info in full before placing information here.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:18 am

So, the leveling seems a little odd, coupled with the cost for mages to buy spells. Correct me if this is wrong but if the next level XP is 5+(5*Current Level) then:

L2 = 10 XP
L3 = 15 XP
L4 = 20 XP
L5 = 25 XP

etc.

This is just a linear increase, which means it's just as easy to go from level 1-2 as it is to go from level 100-101. Which is a little odd.

The next problem is buying spells. This costs spell level * spell level XP to buy:

L1 = 1XP (nice and cheap)
L2 = 4XP (ouch. that's almost a whole level)
L3 = 9XP (double ouch. I think my comrades are going to be leaving me in the dust pretty soon)
L4 = 16XP (you know what, I think I'll retire).

I understand the issue with overpowered magic, but I think this might need a bit of looking at so that mages don't get left in the dust! Or at least scale the levels so it's more like:

L1: 0 XP
L2: 10 XP
L3: 30 XP
L4: 60 XP
L5: 100 XP

In this example, the cost of your spell relative to the next level's XP goes down, so high level spells are relatively cheaper than low-level ones, but you could re-work the XP-cost scaling to make the high-level ones more expensive if you wanted to keep the XP-buy system.

OR, instead of spending XP you could make it a skill-buy, where a spell costs [spell level] skill points to memorise. The individual spells would then be e.g. daily / at-will etc. and accordingly powerful.

Hope this is useful! Cos at the moment it is putting me off the prospect of playing a mage.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:43 am

thinkslogically wrote:So, the leveling seems a little odd, coupled with the cost for mages to buy spells. Correct me if this is wrong but if the next level XP is 5+(5*Current Level) then:

L2 = 10 XP
L3 = 15 XP
L4 = 20 XP
L5 = 25 XP

etc.

This is just a linear increase, which means it's just as easy to go from level 1-2 as it is to go from level 100-101. Which is a little odd.

The next problem is buying spells. This costs spell level * spell level XP to buy:

L1 = 1XP (nice and cheap)
L2 = 4XP (ouch. that's almost a whole level)
L3 = 9XP (double ouch. I think my comrades are going to be leaving me in the dust pretty soon)
L4 = 16XP (you know what, I think I'll retire).

I understand the issue with overpowered magic, but I think this might need a bit of looking at so that mages don't get left in the dust! Or at least scale the levels so it's more like:

L1: 0 XP
L2: 10 XP
L3: 30 XP
L4: 60 XP
L5: 100 XP

In this example, the cost of your spell relative to the next level's XP goes down, so high level spells are relatively cheaper than low-level ones, but you could re-work the XP-cost scaling to make the high-level ones more expensive if you wanted to keep the XP-buy system.

OR, instead of spending XP you could make it a skill-buy, where a spell costs [spell level] skill points to memorise. The individual spells would then be e.g. daily / at-will etc. and accordingly powerful.

Hope this is useful! Cos at the moment it is putting me off the prospect of playing a mage.

Hehe.. I'll correct you cause you are wrong..
The important thing here is that you have to PAY the Xp to gain a level... so when you have 15 XP, you are not level 3, you can still be level 1.
Then you can use 10 XP to by level 2, and thus have 5 XP left.. those 5 XP could be used to buy spells, or saved until you have 15 and can become level 3. :)

The reason I use a Pay system is that this allows spellcasters to gain multiple spells and thus becoming stronger... without it being unfair for the other classes that do not have access to spells :)

Hope that explains...

We'll look into the price of spells in game.. maybe it should just be LVL * 2 instead... We'll see :)
The idea that you can use skill points to buy spell is not so bad.. that would allow the magicians to gain some few extra spells, without having to pay XP.. hmmm... might use that in addition.. but not in the test :)
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:57 am

Cool stuff! happy to be corrected :) I still think it's a bit pricey for spellcasters, because the other classes don't have anything else to 'buy' except levels just now, but maybe something like that will come later? Have you decided when you'll make the draw? I'm excited!

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:03 am

*Ninja you.. edited my reply above about the spells and their price...

I'm not sure.. I'm really exited 2, and want to draw already this evening (DK time) after 24 hours, thus I have given all the time zones a chance... on the other hand... one day is not much time for people who might have been away...:S I will promise that it will not be later than Sunday... but it might already be tonight if i cant keep myself back.... :P
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:06 am

hahaha! Yeah, waiting for the date you set for your own draw is a killer :) I can't really say anything that's unbiased either so I'll just go back to lurking (not so) quietly over here!

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:12 pm

yea... the waiting game sucks big time.... and by that i mean that the waiting time is like a big vacuum that draws extra time into it to try and even out the vacuum, thus creating a concentrated period of time cramped into the same few time units, making them feel longer..... I'm sure that the time it steals also explains why good moments feels like there is lest time in each time unit...

stupid time sucking waiting time.

*Ps. this thread are going to be an OOC, when the game starts....
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:22 pm

Ah cool :) I feel less guilty about blethering nonsense in it then!

But yeah, all my games have been like that - you've got to leave enough time to let everyone have a shot at getting in (stupid fairness) and THEN you have to leave them enough time to accept the place and come up with a player they want to play (stupid creativity taking MORE time!) and THEN you have to wait for them to post actions so you can really get going. And all the while, you'll be sitting refreshing the boards just in case someone else posts.

DMing is fun :P

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:27 pm

Hehe true... but one have to be fair... I can't remember how many times I've come apart a game and then been all like "What.. when did TAHT pop up?, when does it take players.... wait... it already have players? but... how? when? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo........................" or "What? Were they taking new players? DAMN IT.. how did I over look that"

So.. yea... Fairness included...

And what do you mean refresh the board... I just click around it all the time, or clicks on the "Who is online" on the front page, since that auto updates, so I can see if anyone is even in the game section :P
-Best regards LAYF