Things My Character/I Can No Longer Do In RPGs

Home to all current Forum Games.
Godbot
Converses Frequently

Re: Things My Character/I Can No Longer Do In RPGs

Post by Godbot » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:21 pm

That's actually a really good question. I wish I'd thought to ask the other players that at the time.

(A few people were accidents and the like, but the best backstory in the party was "I went to Woodstock and woke up dead.")

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:41 pm

That is fantastic. I hope they were a hippie gangrel. hah!

It really did make a surprising impact! That one question and I had people going from "well _horrible childhood and backstory and sob story here_" to... players starting to explore their relationships with their sires, what they'd brought to the table, etc. I started seeing promising young upstarts from companies who were snatched up, university students... even one Malkavian who was turned simply because she reminded her sire of a childhood sweetheart. She'd grown distant from him when it became clear very quickly she was nothing LIKE her doppelganger. It was lovely, though. I DO miss VtM a lot, and I'm still eager to one day do a game with people a bit older than high school seniors, haha

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:19 am

Well, we did a small resolution scene yesterday night so that we could get ready for the party split and have no lose ends.
I've officially been informed I am never allowed to play someone with neurological damage ever again.

Apparently I've managed to freak out both our knight's player AND the GM, and the party members in the other group are terrified of what's going to happen since the Mage doesn't seem able to focus on anything right now haha
(Oops)
He's not completely fruit loops, just a bit spacy, and hearing repetitive noises no one else can hear doesn't help with focus.
Also he basically tried to climb the wall the first time he saw the knight again.

The knight is appropriately horrified at his own actions and apologetic in character. All in all it was a lovely scene, even if I apparently freaked everyone out.

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Sat May 03, 2014 11:03 pm

- Firing a massive orbital laser at the earth is not a safe method of slowing our descent, killing the main protagonist to open the portal inside of him that we've been trying to keep closed is not an acceptable escape route, and just because the only direction you can go is down doesn't mean it's not a good idea to stop and ask for directions.

Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles
UStream Username: Zathyr

Post by Zathyr » Sun May 04, 2014 11:16 am

A strange magical teleporting indestructible egg is no excuse to launch into egg puns. Even if it was like it had an egg-xit portal.. :paranoia:

When you're fighting a massively high challenge rating encounter, but you also have a massively high CR ally, it's perfectly fine to stand back and let it do all the heavy lifting. Simply jumping into the middle of the fray, while it may be fun for you, is not fun for the healers.
Image And always make sure your dragons are happy little dragons.

kurik
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by kurik » Mon May 05, 2014 12:56 am

I haven't been banned from anything quite yet, but in the game I'm currently in people have a problem with the amount of damage I deal. Apparently 18d6 at level 11 is "F*king insane, you're a horrible person and should feel bad" :lol:

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon May 05, 2014 1:08 am

I'd also say that sounds pretty insane. But I wouldn't say you should feel bad about it. If you've worked your character to be that efficient without bending any rules and you're not a dick about it, there's nothing wrong with being powerful.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

kurik
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by kurik » Mon May 05, 2014 1:41 am

Nah, they love it. It's just that my damage gets taken into account when the DM plans sessions, so the challenge gets ramped up a bit. But yeah, everything's legit per book rules/homerules, Fighter archtype, large sized two handed weapon, weapon damage size increasing enchantment, level adjustment for large size (everyone got some kind of LA), base and improved Vital Strike.

Plus I have glaring weaknesses, which I point out every time someone says anything. Basically I'm one will save from killing the entire party, unless they walk away at a reasonable pace.

And this hasn't been of any real use to me at all yet, but I had a ritual done to give me gills (10 minutes of water breathing a day and I'm fatigued, 20 and I'm exhausted), which combined with lizardfolk's hold breath means I can stay underwater for just over 11 1/2 hours
► Show Spoiler

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Mon May 05, 2014 5:58 am

I tried to piece together how 6d6 damage might work, just for the hell of it. I ended up with a large-sized fighter wielding a greatsword that's a size class too big for him, with an impact enchantment to make it deal damage as if it were yet another size class larger. The archetype he's using is weapon master, which gives him +3 to attack and damage rolls with greatswords, to balance out his oversized weapon penalty. Am I close?

Also, while I was going through the fighter archetypes, I came across this: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-cl ... rer-squire

Look at this stupid bullshit. I'm in love. I would absolutely make a character whose entire deal is that he's miserable at fighting, but he's absurdly prepared for any possible situation and can pull out whatever very specific item he needs at the drop of a hat. And then hand it off to someone, to go and run into danger for him. He'll stay back here, thanks! He's gotta hold all these bags of holding.

Even just the regular flavor of a hilariously competent squire who can fix a weapon in six seconds or frantically sharpen it with a whetstone that he just has would be fantastic.
Last edited by Godbot on Mon May 05, 2014 6:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon May 05, 2014 6:08 am

I suspect he has another enchantments like flaming, frost, acid, holy, shock, Alignment type dmg, and Vicious

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Mon May 05, 2014 6:22 am

Ah, I hadn't even thought of that. Good thinking.

Edit: Nah, wait, that doesn't work; Greater Vital Strike doesn't triple damage from stuff like enchantments. That'd be way too easy.

kurik
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by kurik » Mon May 05, 2014 6:27 am

Godbot wrote:I tried to piece together how 6d6 damage might work, just for the hell of it. I ended up with a large-sized fighter wielding a greatsword that's a size class too big for him, with an impact enchantment to make it yet another size class larger. The archetype he's using is weapon master, which gives him +3 to attack and damage rolls with greatswords, to balance out his size penalties. Am I close?
Close, Two Handed Fighter, it's a hammer not a sword, and a homeruled version of the Monkey Grip feat from 3.5 to remove the penalty form wielding an oversized weapon.

:ninja: ninjas everywhere :ninja: And actually other than the damage size up enchantment, the only thing on it is aquatic so I can hit things if I'm ever underwater.

The character sheet if you wanna look

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon May 05, 2014 6:28 am

No, but you can have a weapon which is naturally 6d6, vital strike makes it 12d6, and enchantments can make it easily 16d6 and it will only be a +4 weapon.

Ninja'd

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Mon May 05, 2014 7:01 am

Geez. You did not mention the +29 damage. Or the 12/nothing damage resistance. Or the 1d6 healing/round in combat. Or the, um, six mithril chainshirts and a salamander's phone number. Why do you have six mithril chainshirts and a salamander's phone number?

I'm also shocked that your DM apparently isn't doing more with your weaknesses, since they're really fun ones. Your character weighs two thousand pounds, and his touch AC's so low that you could pretty much throw a bucket of oil on him and light him on fire without any trouble. (Which he could tolerate, but it'd be really annoying.) Also, an antimagic field gets rid of his +2 strength bonus, making it so that he could barely lift himself off the ground.

Edit:
► Show Spoiler

kurik
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by kurik » Mon May 05, 2014 9:59 am

Godbot wrote:Geez. You did not mention the +29 damage. Or the 12/nothing damage resistance. Or the 1d6 healing/round in combat. Or the, um, six mithril chainshirts and a salamander's phone number. Why do you have six mithril chainshirts and a salamander's phone number?
the chainshirts are old data, we have at least 3 people write down party rewards so the DM remembers what it was. The phone number is I made an ally and it isn't really a "phone number" so much as a way to magically contact them.

and the +29 is impressive, but the DR/- is actually about average for the fighter-y party members. Homerule: Armor and Natural armor grant 1/2 their bonus as DR/-
I'm also shocked that your DM apparently isn't doing more with your weaknesses, since they're really fun ones. Your character weighs two thousand pounds, and his touch AC's so low that you could pretty much throw a bucket of oil on him and light him on fire without any trouble. (Which he could tolerate, but it'd be really annoying.) Also, an antimagic field gets rid of his +2 strength bonus, making it so that he could barely lift himself off the ground.
It's a 3 DM game, during MY turn I built encounters designed specifically to screw my character. Didn't work. I've been put against a near clone of my build, he crit me while I was in the bathroom but I f'd him up the turn before. And dozens of situations designed to stop me or slow me or kill me, and I can count on one hand the number of times I've dropped below 0hp... I've created a monster, and it's awesome

But why would losing +2 Str make me drop? My inventory is in the haversack and my equipment is well within my carrying capacity.

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Mon May 05, 2014 11:39 am

Because you listed your weight as 2000 pounds, and 22 strength has a maximum carrying capacity of 2080. I guess most of that weight comes from the stuff you're carrying, though, right? (The website says a handy haversack has a max capacity of 80 pounds, but we'll ignore that, I guess.)

Theonewhoisodd
Game Master
UStream Username: Theonewhoisodd

Post by Theonewhoisodd » Mon May 05, 2014 11:42 am

I always assumed that carry capacity didn't include character weight.
My Kickstarter

"There is no such thing as overkill, there's kill and there's gravy." -Kurik

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Mon May 05, 2014 11:45 am

I guess you're right, but think I'd probably make a special exception for a 2000-pound character with an oversized sword and heavy armor whose strength just decreased noticeably.

kurik
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by kurik » Mon May 05, 2014 1:40 pm

I was surprised by the whole 2,000 pound thing myself, but the mass increase is in the rules for growing a size category. And yeah, body weight doesn't count towards carrying capacity.

And I wouldn't call a -2 Str all that noticable, at least not when you're working with the numbers I am.

Theonewhoisodd
Game Master

Post by Theonewhoisodd » Mon May 05, 2014 5:53 pm

What was it 22 down to 20 right? That's only a 9% decrease in strength. Not too noticeable but still there.

Also Kurik didn't you use to have something in your signature about overkill?
My Kickstarter

kurik
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by kurik » Mon May 05, 2014 6:31 pm

24 to 22, but yeah.

And there is no such thing as overkill, there's kill and there's gravy

Theonewhoisodd
Game Master

Post by Theonewhoisodd » Mon May 05, 2014 9:37 pm

So an 8.3% drop so that's even less to really worry about.

And yeah that's what it was, thank you!
My Kickstarter

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Tue May 06, 2014 7:11 am

I dunno, guys. Percentages aside, if Kurik's looking for an opportunity to mess with his character/his party, I don't think I'd pass up "party's resident kaiju becomes highly disoriented and unsure of own strength in the middle of something important." That's got a lot of potential.

kurik
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by kurik » Tue May 06, 2014 3:33 pm

Well, we're slowly learning what works. High volume of fire for instance, last time I was dropped was because we took on a room full of casters that were too spread out for me (anyone really) to kill in a timely manner. Then there was the fight in the swamp when I think I got to roll once because I had a 10 foot land speed.

And I wouldn't say I'm the kaiju, the current DM is playing my twin brother, and he took the same level adjustment as me, so individual variances and all he's only about a foot shorter or so. And he does almost as much damage as I do just a lot of it is sneak attack and bleed. So it's not like I'm unbalanced for the party, it's just that I have almost 10 years experience playing D&D and I focused on building a character that's good at one thing. It's the difference between a scalpel or a sledgehammer... just in this case the scalpel IS a sledgehammer.

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Tue May 06, 2014 3:46 pm

Actually, I just meant that you're a giant lizard monster.