Things My Character/I Can No Longer Do In RPGs

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: Things My Character/I Can No Longer Do In RPGs

Post by Dlover » Tue May 06, 2014 8:57 pm

But with the other one only being one foot shorter, they're essentially both giant lizard monsters, so "resident kaiju" doesn't sound quite right.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Theonewhoisodd
Game Master
UStream Username: Theonewhoisodd

Post by Theonewhoisodd » Tue May 06, 2014 10:56 pm

Hold up is nobody else slightly worried that a large 1 ton lizard can do sneak attacks?
My Kickstarter

"There is no such thing as overkill, there's kill and there's gravy." -Kurik

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed May 07, 2014 12:19 am

Curious, but not worried. I'm guessing he has chameleon powers or something.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Wed May 07, 2014 7:45 am

Theonewhoisodd wrote:Hold up is nobody else slightly worried that a large 1 ton lizard can do sneak attacks?
I was assuming he's the "walks around in broad daylight with a greatsword and does sneak attack damage sometimes" kind of rogue. But the idea is definitely a lot more fun if he isn't.

kurik
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by kurik » Wed May 07, 2014 9:59 pm

Well, everyone basically has large weapons just about. I may have altered the meta slightly when I built my guy. But no, everything he can do is because of the classes he took and his insane skill checks. The sneak attacks are from a class ability, it's a homebrew based on something from some book, I don't remember all the details but I okay'd it at the time along with a majority of the group that get to vote on such things.

I think he has to make a spot check=enemy's AC to be able to deal his full damage but his perception is like 30 something so that's basically a given

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Wed May 14, 2014 10:04 am

Wow this grew while I was MIA. o.o

As for large things with sneak attack damage... I did once play a 'thug' style rogue. We had someone make the mistake of mocking him for how unstealthy he was and how he could never possibly pull one over on someone / be a rogue...
He clocked them over the head, stole everything in their pockets, and walked off. :D

As for things I'm forbidden to do.... Not much has happened recently! Haha
I'm no longer allowed to taunt the knight at threat of another 1/month 20d6 lightning damage, but having SURVIVED that, I don't think there's much stupid left readily available for my wizard. Well actually, from the most recent session...

- rolling two 20s in a row on cooking checks does not make me a world renowned chef.
- walking out in to the woods alone in the middle of the night is stupid and suicidal, even if I AM fae-blooded, and I am to refrain from this in the future.
- 50 platinum is not 'paltry' and should not be a standard 'sorry for capturing you and tying you up' apology fee.
- I should not HAVE a standard 'sorry for capturing you and tying you up' apology fee.
- the wizard should, in the future, REFRAIN from releasing captives the instant the knight is no longer looking.
- my alignment is bizarre at best, and I should refrain from speaking of it as it makes the GM's head hurt. He was convinced I was in fact closer to CG than N...then I tortured a vampire by breaking both his knees and dragging him up a spiral staircase. He just isn't sure anymore.

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Tue May 20, 2014 2:22 pm

Amara wrote:- I should not HAVE a standard 'sorry for capturing you and tying you up' apology fee.
What, do they want you to stop apologizing? Thugs and brutes, the lot of them! Clearly they need an upstanding fellow like you to be their moral center.

- Trying to stop a meteor with a touch spell is probably not a great plan, even though it worked.
- Taking over the yakuza by killing the entire yakuza is probably not a great plan, even though it worked.
- Saving Seattle by destroying Seattle is probably not a great plan, even though it worked.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue May 20, 2014 2:34 pm

Wait what? Care to explain the metor?

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue May 20, 2014 8:27 pm

Okay, how exactly did that last one work? Destroying it doesn't sound like saving it. :|
My game:

My characters:

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Sat May 24, 2014 9:52 am

Godbot wrote: What, do they want you to stop apologizing? Thugs and brutes, the lot of them! Clearly they need an upstanding fellow like you to be their moral center.
Ahahaha, it's just it KEEPS happening. People get tied up. The other party members get sent off with Elevar meant to guard the captives. ...Elevar sets the captives free. Over and over again. Granted, there's a good reason for setting them free each time, but it's practically a runing gag at this point. The latest was fantastic.

Now, for full visualization purposes... Our knight/cavalier, Jack is a short, stocky little anthro racoon. In full plate. He's 5'4, and MAYBE hits 130lb soaking wet (sans armor.) Elevar, our wizard/Loremaster, is a tall, somewhat heavyset sun elf. He's... also, for whatever reason, the most charismatic and talkative member of our party (disregarding Lani, because NPCs do not count). ...and we have both a knight and a swashbuckler. We've given up questioning this.
► Show Spoiler
Godbot wrote: - Trying to stop a meteor with a touch spell is probably not a great plan, even though it worked.
- Taking over the yakuza by killing the entire yakuza is probably not a great plan, even though it worked.
- Saving Seattle by destroying Seattle is probably not a great plan, even though it worked.
I...
Arch Lich Burns wrote:Wait what? Care to explain the metor?
Yes. o-o
Dlover wrote:Okay, how exactly did that last one work? Destroying it doesn't sound like saving it. :|
Yes, I need to hear these stories.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Thu May 29, 2014 11:23 am

Apparently my character is not allowed to get into personal relationships with NPC's.

We just had an NPC declare his love for my character right before he shoved a dagger in her side to sacrifice her blood to the blood magus trying to save all our lives from the hoard of angry black soul things that just erupted from the half-sentient, magical wall.

And then we woke up with the warning that the future we just saw would happen in three days.

I don't wanna get ganked! :gonk:
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Theonewhoisodd
Game Master
UStream Username: Theonewhoisodd

Post by Theonewhoisodd » Thu May 29, 2014 5:23 pm

~~~Someone's gonna diiieeeee!~~~
My Kickstarter

"There is no such thing as overkill, there's kill and there's gravy." -Kurik

kurik
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by kurik » Fri May 30, 2014 12:11 am

If you're smart, it'll be that NPC

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:02 pm

Not technically something they can never do again, though something I'll design encounters with the realization they MAY do in the future, definitely.

I'm sort of proud of my party.

Last night they fought a basilisk. They defeated said basilisk with...a door. The door had been jammed, and the rogue decided to use his knife to remove the screws to take the door off its hinges. The ranger then decided to brace the door so it'd fall back on to him, with him supporting it. They then manage to wake up said sleeping basilisk.
The ranger manages to succeed on knowledge rolls to know what's on the other side of the door (aided by them finding... 'statues' nearby,) as his favored enemy was magical beasts.
He then decides to charge the basilisk.
With the door.

...and rolls a 19, succeeding in pinning it against the wall. WITH THE DOOR. It was brilliant. Somehow the basilisk failed its rolls to get free the entire fight, and he managed to hold it in place. Bloody brilliant.

I'm never going to let a creature be in direct path of the door AGAIN without there being good reason for it, but I will definitely give them that one.

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:47 am

Amara wrote:
Godbot wrote:
- Trying to stop a meteor with a touch spell is probably not a great plan, even though it worked.

I...
Arch Lich Burns wrote:Wait what? Care to explain the metor?
Yes. o-o
Dlover wrote:Okay, how exactly did that last one work? Destroying it doesn't sound like saving it. :|
Yes, I need to hear these stories.
Oof, all right. This is gonna take some explaining.

The Context
► Show Spoiler
How We Took Over the Yakuza
► Show Spoiler
How We Stopped a Meteor
► Show Spoiler
How We Saved Seattle, and How We Stopped a Meteor Pt II
► Show Spoiler
So thatÔÇÖs where our season ended, and we took a couple months off to clear our heads and take finals and whatnot. New season starts tomorrow.

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:55 pm

Wow, that was awesome!

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:45 pm

That... Is incredibly confusing, but awesome nonetheless.
My game:

My characters:

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:14 am

- The warden does not want to see me dance.

- The crazy reclusive elf sorcerer does not want to see me dance.

- Dancing is just going to make the unicorn angrier.

- I am not going to stop dancing.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:54 pm

How could dancing make a unicorn angrier?! This is preposterous!
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:19 pm

Well if they do not dance then they are no friends of mine.

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:55 am

Well, we were trying to kill each other at the time.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:30 am

Well at least you did the safety dance.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:29 am

To my players...
- no more bombs
- no, you CANNOT get over 600 d6 of damage. Again. No more bombs!
- no, dumping several gallons of flaming oil on them is not going to do the same amount of damage as the bomb you set off.
- NO MORE BOMBS

And as for my last session as a player, though it was months ago,
- I am to refrain from opening containers without checking for traps.
- I am to refrain from opening containers at all.
- I am to let the raven open all containers forever more.
- the barbarian saying something didn't hurt is not a good gauge of whether or not it actually hurt.
- our knight screaming from the same experience is.

We wound up on the plane of metal. We encountered desks and other objects LITERALLY JUST TRAPPED WITH PINS TO STAB PEOPLE'S HANDS.
My poor wizard has been slathered in blood block by now, and has now transmuted himself to prevent bleeding from speeding up metalization. So we have...until his transformation ends and he stops technically being a (diamond) earth elemental to GTFO of the plane of metal.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:35 am

I get forbidden from lot of things, whenever I get to play...

- yes, I need to contact a certain extraplanar being. I probably could (should) have found a better way of doing that than climbing on to the tavern roof, and setting off fireworks in the sky to spell out "HEY ASSHOLE" in glittering letters.
- It worked
- That it worked is irrelevant
- But to be fair the DM shouldn't have let me have ALL the firework spells if he didn't want me using them.

- "FOR SCIENCE!" Is not adequate reason to relentlessly pursue a construct project when I had insufficient knowledge of constructs to successfully complete the project.
- Yes, it IS my fault that a rampaging toaster golem happened
- It is also my fault that the inn nearly burned down
- I am henceforth forbidden from making toaster golems
- that the barbarian is now TERRIFIED OF TOAST is not funny when he is an innkeeper and thus surrounded by toast on a typical day at breakfast time.
- I am also forbidden from deliberately inflicting future phobias upon the barbarian.

- I am not allowed to cite 'operant conditioning' as a plan of action for how to handle the barbarian.
- I am not allowed to deliberately condition the barbarian.
- if I am forbidden from operant conditioning, it should be common sense that I am especially forbidden from classical conditioning.

- I am not allowed to make an army of simulacra to handle all my research for me.
- Even if I CAN afford it.
- Even if I'm making simulacra exclusively of myself.
- I am not allowed ANY simulacra of the barbarian.

- I am also explicitly forbidden from using operant conditioning on alternate reality versions of myself.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:27 am

Amara wrote: - "FOR SCIENCE!" Is not adequate reason to relentlessly pursue a construct project when I had insufficient knowledge of constructs to successfully complete the project.
- Yes, it IS my fault that a rampaging toaster golem happened
- It is also my fault that the inn nearly burned down
- I am henceforth forbidden from making toaster golems

This sort of behavior, however, is perfectly acceptable in my Girl Genius based Surviving Castle Heterodyne....
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler