Minelings & Constructlings OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Re: Minelings & Constructlings OOC

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:02 pm

Screw this water helmet thingy, just make some wooden pipes connecting to the bucket and we'll have you walking on the bottom in no time.

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:11 pm

Nerre, good to know it's intentional :)

BA, it won't work. Wood isn't flexible enough. Maybe if we were to skin hobgoblin and fill his skin with air...

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:15 pm

Hay.. why you hating on the hobo?
Hehe.. that said.. I don't think it would be easy to make pipes out of his skin.. but a single vertical wood tube could be used....
-Best regards LAYF

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:24 pm

No, not pipes. We could use his skin like air container.
About straight wooden tubes: I planned to descend deeper into the crack. Also remember about communicating vessels.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:57 pm

Well, if we created a pump of some sort, We could make wooden elbow joints and straight wooden pipe pieces, then you could build the pipes as you progress down the hole. For air (assuming the pump is being pumped) you could simply place your mouth over the wooden pipe for air. (i know, i know, sounds like way way too much work)

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:39 pm

Also we can run out of wood.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:56 pm

gamecreator wrote:Also we can run out of wood.
Well.. using the intestines of someone will give you 8'ish meters, the skin might add 8 meters to that....
That's not much... Then comes the fact that skin/intestine tubes will be soft and collapse at even low depths...

I think developing diving skills by keep trying will be more easy.

*Not to be a downer.... just don't see the need to kill off an potential slave Worker it would not work anyways.....
-Best regards LAYF

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:58 pm

BTW, you should start to train your pet hobgoblin soon. I think he is about to die.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:20 am

gamecreator wrote:No, not pipes. We could use his skin like air container.
About straight wooden tubes: I planned to descend deeper into the crack. Also remember about communicating vessels.
You would need to build a machine as well that would put enough preassure into the air to pump it down. 1 bar per 10 meters, else ALL air would shoot right out of the upper end of the pipe, followed by a little gust of water. Which would leave the helmet wearer without any air. Better take the requiered air down with you until you are able to build something that complex. BadgeAddict did already ntoice this.

I am also now kind of afraid of some of you, thinking about how you want to turn the hobgoblin into materials. :D
Well.. using the intestines of someone will give you 8'ish meters, the skin might add 8 meters to that....
Actually, it is about body size x 6 for omnivores, but hobgoblins are carnivores. Therefore, the ratio they get is more like x 3, since meat is easier to digest than mixed food or plants. Herbivores actually got something around x 24 (sheep for example). Big hint: So maybe you should take a look upon the mountain. Ohhh, what is that up there? Goats? o:)
:zzz:

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:28 am

Nerre wrote:You would need to build a machine as well that would put enough preassure into the air to pump it down. 1 bar per 10 meters, else ALL air would shoot right out of the upper end of the pipe, followed by a little gust of water. Which would leave the helmet wearer without any air. Better take the requiered air down with you
This is what I was talking about.

And what about my question earlier:
gamecreator wrote:By the way, was he to choose doctor skill, would he heal other goblins for his xp or their?

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:00 am

For his own xp. But as the skill improves, cost get less until there are none. There will also be team-efforts people have to put in xp. Think of it as a mix of xp and lore points for your entire group, like the skill points in Myrmen.

xp can be used for several things:
- increase the chances to succeed in something new.
- speed up things that would take longer else.
- buy new abilities for a character or the whole group.

you gain new abilitie/make them better by multiple things, summing up:
- trying to do/invent them (if they are possible).
- doing them repeatedly.
- spending time and effort on them.

Please do not offer to spend xp on something. I will announce the options like I did for the doctor. Some things do need many turns' attempts to succeed, so do not give up easily if you really like an idea. I won't give you exact number in advance most of the time, to keep the game vivid and exiting. You will only know you did it when you really did it, not halfway through. :)

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:54 am

To minelings:
I was thinking about kind of a bridge that we could use to go through the new cave. I'll post pics with project.
Left side: view from side (as we see it in game)
Right side: front view
Black is stone
Grey is empty, where we can go through
Red is lava
So:
Do we have make walls? I think it would be safer.
Maybe we can put empty holes/windows from time to time to save some stone? Would it be safe?
Would it even work?
Maybe we don't have to make this roof shaped like this? Would lava still go to sides?
Is it even possible?
Wouldn't it take too much stone?
Complains of Everything in Minelings.
Boro in Call of Ctulhu - Filipstad
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

In God School as Dies in Battle

My own game! Castle Story Open for everyone!

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:37 am

I assumed that lava is on foreground.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:46 am

The lava can not be bypassed before or after it. It is canals, at least the lowest 2-3 blocks of each stream. They are running from the front to the back or the other way around. The vertical lines are lava falls, you can bypass them, they are narrow as long as they have not yet touched the ground. A stone tunnel might work, but it would be risky to build, you might burn yourself or it might even stream in accidentally. And it could heat up the ceiling and walls and make it collapse if you design it to thin.
Keep in mind that lava is like mud, it is as heavy as stone, only flows somewhere between water and nearly dry mud, depending on the temperature. So if you build something into the path of a many meter drop of lava, you have to build it so it can not only take the heat, but also the impact from the weight falling down.

Maybe some cooling or protection equipment might help.

Keep in mind that the heat emission is not to be ignored. You do not have to touch the lava to get burned, being close enough is sufficient. Heat radiates over some distance, the hotter and the larger the areal, the more it is.

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:27 am

Then we just abandon the boring lava cave and go for three exciting new rooms.
Complains of Everything in Minelings.
Boro in Call of Ctulhu - Filipstad
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

In God School as Dies in Battle

My own game! Castle Story Open for everyone!

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:42 am

Perhaps we could pump water into this chamber somehow, which would turn the lava into obsidian.

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:46 am

Unless you will manage to cool lava in the ceiling, it will accomplish nothing.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:16 am

I don't want to be an evil gm, therefore I have to point that out:
You could even turn the whole cave system into one large steam boiler, forcing you to flee to somewhere else.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:54 am

kida wrote:Everyone be careful - next month there could be cave in
Boomy continue digging. When he finish he goes to a safe spot under the bridge.
Actually, the bridge is still unfinished. The black parts is what you build, the grey parts what is still left to do until it is finished. ;)

It is just so that the part you build is enough to climb down and up safely within your jumping limits. You could get over the dam easier if you would finish the bridge and maybe add a few more steps to the ladder at the dam.

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:04 am

Nerre wrote:
kida wrote:Everyone be careful - next month there could be cave in
Boomy continue digging. When he finish he goes to a safe spot under the bridge.
Actually, the bridge is still unfinished. The black parts is what you build, the grey parts what is still left to do until it is finished. ;)

It is just so that the part you build is enough to climb down and up safely within your jumping limits. You could get over the dam easier if you would finish the bridge and maybe add a few more steps to the ladder at the dam.
I totally forgot we didn't finish the bridge...
do we have enough materials to finish the bridge and the ladder?

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:50 pm

I think so for the lumber. For the stone I am not sure, but it can be so easily obtained while mining it should not be a problem. But 7 construction stone sound like enough or very close too enough.

You can mine only 1 mineral per week, but you can mine 2 stone per week, each turning into 2 construction stone = 4 per week. Since mining 1 mineral does not take a full week. This is why you can mine 1 stone = 2 construction stone while mining the 1 mineral, which makes it easier to obtain construction stone. I asume automatically that you want to mine the stone instead of destroying it in such a case, since the gain is on your side. This just happened with Boomy, he got 1 copper + 2 construction stone.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:29 am

A little question, is there any ways besides doctoring/using XP to regain life? such as time?
-Best regards LAYF

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:40 am

Nerre wrote:About the lion's corpse: I am glad somebody finally takes a look at it, but please be more specific about what you want to do. "Looks what he can do" is too overall. If you give me only something like that, you most likely will only get food out of it, maybe some hide, depending on what I roll.
So, people, what do you think? What do we do with dead lion?

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:45 am

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:A little question, is there any ways besides doctoring/using XP to regain life? such as time?
Yes. You might be able to find or develop items/abilities to heal yourself, for example bandages, cataplasms, and so on, depending on the situation and ressources at hand.
You can always come up with ideas. Only keep in mind that the more complex and the higher the gain, the more time it might need to succeed, so don't give up only cause it failed on the firsts attempts. A dice result and your experience in said field decide if it works. Some already tried to come up with such ideas, but only tried it for one turn or less, then gave up. Like in real life, you don't learn things over night, and if you do it while doing other things that also won't help.

Kach for example just got the chance to learn a stone mining ability cause he mined for many weeks in a row, others got the same for cooking or collecting food in many weeks.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:18 am

Nolandking wrote:Mint keeps on fishing (You think after all this fishing I would gain the skill fisher(wo)men)
farming also works on fish. 1 food block = 1 fish.

You know possible skills are based on what you did so far. I kind of count that, but I make no difference in what food was collected. Just think of Mint as a fish farmer. ;)