Minelings & Constructlings OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Re: Minelings & Constructlings OOC

Post by LAYF » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:55 am

Hmm.. I think, to be honest, I love the game, but the "learning curve" seem a bit steep.
For example, it took me 14 turns, here of 8 specifically used mining, before the first "upgrade" was available, and for that I needed to pay 10XP on top of it (that's 10 turns)
with 3-4 updates a week, that's 2,5 - 3,3 weeks to learn one ability :S

Had this bean a live game, with lets say 5 updates at a time 2 times a week, it would have been fine! but as a forum game.. it just seem really slow.. and what will you do with higher level powers/abilities?
just a practice/XP increment of x 1.5 would be a lot (12 turns to get the ability available, and another 15 to gain the XP)

My thought is.. maybe lower the 1st level cost/learning time to, say half... would make things more in reach!

But it is your game of-cause, this is just a notion!

And now a thing; always end with the positive:
your idea of giving 1XP/turn, I really like that, and if there at any time will be a future "myrMen" or the like, I'll use that instead of what i have now.... maybe with set goals that gives bonus XP!

Just my 3,14159265359 cents!
-Best regards LAYF

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:21 am

You can get XP from fighting. I'm sure there are other XP-granting activities we don't know about.

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:14 am

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:
And now a thing; always end with the positive:
I learned that a review need to be like a hotdog. Start with a bun, end with a bun, and give the meat in the middle :D

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:43 pm

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:Hmm.. I think, to be honest, I love the game, but the "learning curve" seem a bit steep.
For example, it took me 14 turns, here of 8 specifically used mining, before the first "upgrade" was available, and for that I needed to pay 10XP on top of it (that's 10 turns)
with 3-4 updates a week, that's 2,5 - 3,3 weeks to learn one ability :S
My thought is.. maybe lower the 1st level cost/learning time to, say half... would make things more in reach!
I really don't want to give away most of the math behind so on the one hand I can keep it simple, and on the other hand the players can not use it to come up with powerplay-tactics. Just so much:
- if somebody focuses on one action for several turns, it is less than 8 weeks. Maybe it seemed like 8 to you, but it weren't 8. Or you did more than just one task in some of that weeks. In such cases the training will be split between both.
- i check if somebody can learn a skill always in the next update, so there is always a delay of 1 week.
- I'm not sure about the learning curve so far, but I will not lower the first step, since than several people might get 3-4 skills available in the next update, cause those people really did a lot of things. If you act like a jack of all trades, it takes you longer to master one trade. Chopper chopped, Kach mined, Mint cooked, Bob collected food, therefore they quickly got the skills. Zaul and Tar are not far away from getting a trade, but in the past the split their focus, so their traning got split as well.
- since the basic xp is linear, I think I will keep the learning curve close to linear. Don't be afraid to buy skills or spend xp.
- next turn Chopper will get his 2nd skill option.
- just a few numbers: Bob and Zaul have training points split between 10 categories, Tar between 9. Chopper only between 4. Focus and patience pays out in this game. If you really want to learn to do something better, keep doing it, train it.
LooksAtYouFunny wrote:And now a thing; always end with the positive:
your idea of giving 1XP/turn, I really like that, and if there at any time will be a future "myrMen" or the like, I'll use that instead of what i have now.... maybe with set goals that gives bonus XP!
Thanks a lot. I love your game as much as you do mine.
:zzz:

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:49 pm

Thanks for the quick response Nerre :)
(Oh, I counted, it is 8 weeks (turns) I used, 1 for the prison, 2 to free bob, and 5 for the homes :) )

I can understand you don't want to give up the mechanics, as Power play is annoying.. just figured I'd mention my observations :)
-Best regards LAYF

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:27 pm

Nerre wrote:- just a few numbers: Bob and Zaul have training points split between 10 categories, Tar between 9. Chopper only between 4. Focus and patience pays out in this game. If you really want to learn to do something better, keep doing it, train it.
Now I'm quite curious if Ryan managed to beat Zaul's "record" at spreading training points between as much categories as possible. :lol:

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:36 pm

I just realized that I was so focused on specific actions... That's just me I guess

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:33 am

gamecreator wrote:Now I'm quite curious if Ryan managed to beat Zaul's "record" at spreading training points between as much categories as possible. :lol:
I won't give you a number, I think a simple "yes" will do. :D

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:39 am

From previous updates I got impression, that chitin is quite brittle. Had Ryan managed to make holes in scales for attaching them? Had he tried? Is it even possible to do?
It is possible, but I won't say anything about the holes, don't know the material. Have to read some more about it first.

A scale is a prepared piece of chitin, maybe with a few holes in it so it can be attached to something. Or maybe think about how ancient arrow heads looked. The had narrow parts, which were used to attach them, without holes.

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:41 am

Oh, it works then.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:55 pm

gamecreator wrote:What does strength and constitution do?
It increases your ability to take or deal damage, your ability to attack or defend yourself. I won't give away the math behind it, cause like I said, this will kind of spoil things and enable people to go directly for the goal the want to achieve, instead of enjoying the path towards there. ;)

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:38 am

SGTdude wrote:Just to be clear Nerre, cuz I was confused about movement, I wanted to move and then speak from where I was. It seems like I didnt move at all, but then again if I had moved closed to my max distance it would have carried me further than I wanted anyways. So is there a chance that, retroactively, I can move halfway down the staircase in the tunnel, since that was what I was trying to approximate? Or does speaking take up my whole turn?

If not then I will just post my actions for this up coming turn after you answer.
movements so small are free if you only walk (not swimming/crouching/climbing), just assume you did mov or will move before your actions for this turn.
Speaking is free, until you want to read a book to somebody else. ;)

SGTdude
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: SGTdude

Post by SGTdude » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:33 am

Sorry I didnt use this. Didnt know it was here.

Now I know and will use it for other comments like that. Thx
This user has been Banned. (link to the joke)

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:47 am

No problem. :)
You will be nearly the first and only to use it. :( Most prefer to write OOC spoilers in the game threads or just PM me. ;)

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:38 pm

Glad someone uses this thread. It makes for some dialogue.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:53 am

CroverusRaven wrote:Wouldn't the boat get stuck and partially clock the crack?
Only one way to find out until you got somebody who can do scrying. ;)

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:12 pm

Nerre are you planning on merging the two games at some point (contructlings/minelings)? Just curious

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:42 am

They share an OOC thread cause they have the same ruleset. Won't answer more.

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:06 am

I hope you aren't going to merge them.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:45 am

CroverusRaven wrote:..is there any way to make it so the seaweed grows back more spread out? Cause it looks like we just have the 3 stalks now for some reason.

Yes. In the minelings game somebody collected the seeds and spread them. During the month of harvest (3rd), the seaweed creates seeds and the plants dies. They fall down randomly, might even spread a little. Wasn't the case in Constructlings so far. But you can manually spread them. Every block with at least 1 seed in it will turn into seaweed once the month of growth (8th) comes.
Seaweed wants to have at least 1 block of water above it and I set the limit to the depth in which it grows to 7. Those two rules do not apply to the month's of flood and drought. Seaweed outside of water dies before it can create seeds.

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:23 am

I mean, technically, seaweed is not an actual plant, it's multicellular algea... But for simplicity sake e'll agree it has seeds. :P

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:50 am

I don't know much about real seagrass it, only encountered it while diving. I thought it would spread using it's roots and also maybe seeds. However, let's just say the fantasy plant in the game is not the real one. :)

The seeds do not become ripe before the month of harvest. Trying to harvest them before will kill them. Think that is the same for nearly all seeds, isn't it?

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:37 pm

Seaweed spreads with spores, so you can say it has seeds.
Nerre wrote:I set the limit to the depth in which it grows to 7.
So should Kach drain the upper lake, all seaweed in the lower lake will die?

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:27 am

Oh weird, I hadn't noticed I was out of food in the minelings game. I had 3 food a while ago, forgot neither of them had any food so I gave mine to them... Well that changes things

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:32 am

I would say since this game has more survival elements than rp, we may want to focus on establish a solid base and supply of food/water/etc. before we do too much 'sploring. I would go back right now if it were possible, but I am settling with not dying instead. Just my 2 cents.