Ruined Kingdom: Post-boom. (Always open)

Home to all current Forum Games.
M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Re: Ruined Kingdom: All is rubble

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:02 pm

BadgeAddict wrote:My loyal subject Magister; I am quite pleased with your efforts at bringing together my people. The tribes are revolting you say, what do you think will persuade them otherwise?
"As I believe I already said," The Magister says, apparently slightly annoyed the question is raised, "They are most likely too stubborn to take the correct choice. I hardly think they would be worth the effort trying to convince. As I suggested, we should in due time just look to eliminate them."
As for you Artisan, I am pleased that one with such skill as yourself has survived the recent...problems...

What are the state of trading merchants at the moment?
What buildings in the capital are salvageable and what will need to be rebuilt?
What of the barracks and city walls?
"Th- Thank you my lord."

"The trading merchants... Well... Nigh non-existant my sir. Some of the populace used to be traders. But due to the disaster, there is hardly anything left to trade. We should consider ourself lucky that some of us still have food reserves, though at the moment it is looking like we will have trouble surviving the winter if nothing is done."
"The nobility still exists... They are scattered now, but some managed to lead a few of the tribes and are hence seen as leader figures by some. Bringing them back to rightful status as nobility would be a possible first step in restoring the trading guilds."

"Many of the capital buildings are destroyed my liege... Though a quick solution could be forged. There are still buildings that are in good shape. With a little bit of work these could be refurbished to serve as a, perhaps temporary replacement for these buildings."

"...B-But if I may say... I believe that making sure basic shelter is available first. Sire. There is currently not enough room to harbor all of us under a roof, and I fear that could have ill effects if we happen to stumble upon a cold raining night. O- Ofcourse I will do whatever you wish me to do, my liege!"

"The barracks are destroyed my liege. But as I suggested, we could temporarily relocate them to an intact building that seems fit for it. Or if you'd prefer we could immediately begin with the restoration... It would take far longer but your wish is my command. The walls I'm afraid will have to be completely rebuilt. If... If you fear an attack, I could try to work out a temporary barricade around the city."

>The Artisan suggests restoring the nobility to their proper positions.
>The artisan may work on relocating all important buildings are housed under a new roof.
>The artisan may work on providing shelter for the population.
>The artisan may work on completely restoring some of the destroyed buildings.
>The artisan may work on putting up barricades around the city.

>Food is sparse

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:28 pm

(trying not to play by myself here, but here goes)

(thinking to self - The magister would like to kill the tribes, but there may be another option. The artisan suggests that we may be able appease the tribes by taking care of their immediate needs like food and shelter)
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:33 pm

I disagree with the idea of cutting all the bandits' tongues or killing them. Killing some is, of course, a necessity. How else would they know what would happen to them if they fail? That said, as bandits aren't likely to want to come out of hiding, especially with bounties on their heads, and as I'm hoping to elevate the rank of one or two of them, them losing their tongues may be a bad thing. Bandits do have the skills that might make them good hunters, we could use them to gather a bit of wealth, and making some spies and saboteurs may be a good choice in the future, but their value as some of these drops if they have no way to communicate with us, and men without tongues may send a definite message if they are caught.

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:05 pm

Getting some hunting and foraging done is quite high on the list of priorities. Our Dragon Knight should have some idea which of the bandits we have caught would be both most willing and least willing to work for us. She hunted them down, and has a great deal of strategic expertise. Therefore, we should see to it that those least willing to work for us serve as an example to the rest, while we see to it that some of the most skilled and most likely to work for us get increased rank, perhaps to things like Master Huntsman and Spymaster, at least as long as we don't have people truly loyal to us to hold those positions. We can, then, allocate them so as to have a few spies of our own and enough hunter/gatherers to replenish our stocks.

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:25 pm

Further, I would suggest putting most of the general workforce under the artisan's command establishing farms and housing in the general area. It's doubtful the enemy forces will concern themselves overly much about this.
I am concerned about one thing, though. How do we best dispose of the enemy spies? If we let them go, they'll report our existance. If we don't, the enemy will still know something's up. Perhaps we should release them, so that they rush into a different group of enemies hoping to turn both enemy groups upon one another, thus hiding the truth of our existance from our biggest enemy?

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:27 pm

Davecom3 wrote: How do we best dispose of the enemy spies?

Daddy's hungry! >:D

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:31 pm

What do you think we're doing with those bandits least likely to serve us? We'll make a good meal of them, and they'll definitely serve us, then. Like I said, though, eating the spies would alert our enemy of our existance, which if I remember right, we wanted to avoid.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:37 am

► Show Spoiler
edit: Anyways. Update later today if there are no more posts.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:38 am

Nom nom nom, bandits! Also lick the artisian. For...reasons :paranoia:

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:05 am

We do seem to be a red dragon. That said, for all we know it'll turn neutral or good later. We're just aiming for survival for now. And killing bandits, especially without killing all of them, isn't precisely evil, for what it's worth. Disposing of enemy spies is pretty much just plain good sense. We haven't really attacked anybody who wouldn't be planning trouble for our lands in any case. Letting the bandits loose without exerting any pressure on them wouldn't guarantee they'd choose to work for the benefit of the group, either. More likely, they'd continue to make raids on our settlements than cooperate peacefully with us. And some might even get it into their heads to band together to try and raid a dragon hoard, particularly ours.
Further, the terrorizing we're doing by eating the bandits is a necessary display of force. We aren't threatening to eat any of the non-combative civilians.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:09 am

I suggest the following:

1. Eat the spies
2. Eat the Bandits (or save them for later munchies)
3. Send the Artisan to begin building shelter for the people in the city (this should do two things a) this will hopefully make the people already living in the city happier, and b) this might help to draw more people (such as the tribes) into the city where there is shelter and some stability)
4. Ask that the Magister stabilize the area surrounding you so that you don't become further trapped. This shouldn't take too long. After this go to the capital and begin to gather together and organize the nobility. (this should help with both the building of buildings, gathering of food, and trading)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:20 am

DragonKnight i praise you for your efforts in freeing the land of the majority of bandits. Due to the prisons being so full, bring the weakest half of the bandits you have captured to me as food.
Getting some hunting and foraging done is quite high on the list of priorities. Our Dragon Knight should have some idea which of the bandits we have caught would be both most willing and least willing to work for us. She hunted them down, and has a great deal of strategic expertise. Therefore, we should see to it that those least willing to work for us serve as an example to the rest, while we see to it that some of the most skilled and most likely to work for us get increased rank, perhaps to things like Master Huntsman and Spymaster

"As you wish my lord. I will fetch the weaker half of the bandits as sacrifice for you."

"Training the others will be a more difficult task. They are unruly, unwilling. But hopefully the sacrifice will serve as a warning to what will happen if they do not cooperate. I believe it shall for the entire populace."

With that she bows, heading off.

>The Dragonknight will fetch a sacrifice of 2 groups of bandits.
>The Dragonknight will attempt to train the remaining bandits into hunters/spies.

Further, I would suggest putting most of the general workforce under the artisan's command establishing farms and housing in the general area. It's doubtful the enemy forces will concern themselves overly much about this.

The artisan seems briefly perplexed - Though as he pulls himself back together he speaks enthusiastically- "Yes sir! I will begin work on it immediately!" He turns around, heading for the exit as you tell him to briefly pause. He freezes in his tracks, slowly turning around.
"Y-Yes sir?" He says nervously as you move closer to him... And then lick him.

"Wh- WHa-"

"Hmm... A hint of mahogany?" You say, looking at the saliva-covered artisan, before telling him he could go- Which he did as quickly as his legs would carry him.

>The artisan will work on providing shelter and restoring farmland.

The Magister eyes you as you seem to ponder over what his task could be. He seems more then happy letting you think that over for a while, though he eventually speaks up.
"My sire, if you are looking for a task I could do... I could always try to restore my alchemy equipment and begin the process of transmuting common metal into gold. I realize you do not yet wish to engage in policy with the neighboring countries, but being able to make a major purchase once you do could prove beneficial."
"Beside that... I have been informed of the capture of two different units of spies... I believe my skills may be useful in retrieving information from them. Perhaps even give them a radical change of mind, eh?"
"Alternatively, I could settle the issues with the loose tribes right now. Most of them were barely armed, so it should go smoothly. I repented from doing that immediately just in the case you would want to take the foolhardy decision of trying to convince them to join the kingdom regardless, but I of course should have known better to think that of you."

>The Magister may spend a season transmuting gold.
>The Magister may attempt to interrogate the spies.
>The Magister may attempt to wipe out the remaining tribes.

EDIT: Badge posted as I was making this with an action for the Magister. I will take that as definite action in about a hour or two if there has been no other input by that time.
► Show Spoiler

Alavar
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Alavar » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:37 am

"Dragonknight, who are those bandits, and what are their crimes? Dou you think any of them would be fit for our use, or not?"
If none of them are of use, and their crimes were heavy, I want you to commit a trial according to the law, for people need law and stability more than anything else now... And if they are sentenced to death, I will personally carry the sentence <lick lips>

The same goes for nobility. They have failed, yes, but now they have possibility to redeem themselves in my eyes.

Artisan, you are right - shelter is most important now. My freedom second. Temporary barricades third.

>The Artisan suggests restoring the nobility to their proper positions.
>The artisan may work on providing shelter for the population.
>Temporary buildings are the solution by now

As for spies - Magister, after interrogating spies could you put them in suspended animation for one season? I don't want them to learn anything, and I might just have some plans for them for later...

>The Magister may attempt to interrogate the spies.

SPIES:
I say, we should free Rhenovian spy, but only after some improvements to current state have been made, and we are free. They were neutral before, and only fall of our kingdom made them possibly want our lands. I say, proper intimidation by awakened Dragon Ruler might change their mind.
The Umilicien spy - I have no idea. He might be eaten.
Last edited by Alavar on Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please keep in mind any health advice should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm not 'very' experienced (yet :P)

lozlo
Speaks Quietly

Post by lozlo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:39 am

"Exelent Magister, please get all of the information out of the spies you can, and bring them to me if you are sure there is nothing left to gain. Sleeping for centuries does leave one a bit.... peckish."

"Also Dragonknight, the bandits not trustwordy enough to be let out as hunter can perhaps start the the effort of tunneling me out of here. No point in letting them rot in the dungeon I'd say."
I hazz egg :D

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:40 am

"I will not tolerate petty criminals in my kingdom, nor will I tolerate rivals to my claim. Those who prove loyal to me shall be handsomely rewarded however."

Bandits: Before you eat the bandits, offer them the chance to repent for their crimes. If they do not, eat them. If they would rather live, allow them to work on menial tasks (e.g. building, fetching etc.), with the promise of promotion later if they do well but keep them under guard. Ask the artisan to report to you on their progress.

"Magister, we are not a strong kingdom yet and crushing the rebellious villages will only drive them to the armies of our enemies and to further revolt. For now, let us give them time. Send someone to them with a message from me stating that they will be left in peace for now and are invited to join the kingdom peacefully. Allow them to enjoy the food from our farms and the wealth from our city. Let them come to rely on us. However, the next time they see you, my dear Magister, they must declare allegiance to us or be destroyed.

" For now, I think I will use your skills to interrogate our captive Umicellian spy. Leave the other for now, but ask if he will carry a message to his masters for us. We have no quarrel with his people after all. Enjoy yourself!"

Dragonknight: Rather than attempting to train the bandits, scour the lands again for volunteers to join a fledgling army.

Alavar
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Alavar » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:43 am

I second Thinks opinion about revolting villiages
Please keep in mind any health advice should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm not 'very' experienced (yet :P)

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:45 am

Magister, gold can wait for a moment. Would you be able to destroy the minds of the spies and tribes, effectively creating mad-barbarian-zombie-hordes.(do this subtlety, make it look to be a plague) If you can do this, command them to go to our borders and fight our enemies. This will do a few things:

1. The tribes and Spies will be dealt with
2. The border countries who seek to destroy us will be forced to deal with a problem of their own
3. If they are led to believe there is a plague in our country that turns normal men into slobbering zombs then perhaps this will buy us some time before they choose to attack us again.

Alavar
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Alavar » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:14 am

And that... I... totally disagree...

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:18 am

Some of us have to be chaotic good (shrugs) :D (hah, no worries, just a try)

Alavar
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Alavar » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:21 am

Just change "Zombies" into "Angel... Ups, I meant Devas", and you have my vote :P

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:25 am

I'm concerned that too much movement (controlled/directed) may draw our enemies to the conclusion that I have awoken.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:28 am

"Dragonknight, who are those bandits, and what are their crimes? Dou you think any of them would be fit for our use, or not?"
"If none of them are of use, and their crimes were heavy, I want you to commit a trial according to the law, for people need law and stability more than anything else now... And if they are sentenced to death, I will personally carry the sentence"
"Common banditry my liege. They mostly harassed some of the weaker tribes that formed for resources. As for their use, I believe that if disciplined they could make good men at arms or spies. They are rebellious however, which will make this process hard."
"As for spies - Magister, after interrogating spies could you put them in suspended animation for one season? I don't want them to learn anything, and I might just have some plans for them for later..."
"I can certainly try." The Magister says, "Though if I am successful in... Convincing them we are the greater kingdom, there should not even be need of that. They would follow m... Our commands with unquestioning loyalty."
"Magister, we are not a strong kingdom yet and crushing the rebellious villages will only drive them to the armies of our enemies and to further revolt. For now, let us give them time. Send someone to them with a message from me stating that they will be left in peace for now and are invited to join the kingdom peacefully. Allow them to enjoy the food from our farms and the wealth from our city. Let them come to rely on us. However, the next time they see you, my dear Magister, they must declare allegiance to us or be destroyed.
The Magister frowns. "And who exactly would you put in charge of doing so? Me?" He finishes of with snark, glaring. "Well, of course I would arrange it... Sire. After all, who would I be to reject a command from our oh so benevolent king? Not that I do not believe it is a stupid idea. Regardless, if you wish me to continue on that path, just give me the word and I'll be on my merry way to becoming best friends with uncontrollable rebel scum." he says, sarcasm literally dripping of his voice.
Magister, gold can wait for a moment. Would you be able to destroy the minds of the spies and tribes, effectively creating mad-barbarian-zombie-hordes.(do this subtlety, make it look to be a plague) If you can do this, command them to go to our borders and fight our enemies. This will do a few things:
The Magister ponders for a moment, stroking his chin before speaking. "While I could certainly do that my lord, the situation lies a little bit more complicated then that. I figure this would be a most opportune time to try and situate ourself so you see what I mean... If you'd lend me a moment." The Magister says, leaving you before returning with a crude map- Of which you almost get the impression he quickly scrounged together. Regardless, it does a good job of showing what is important.
"This would be our kingdom my lord- Fehlahrin. Our capital here borders the crimson sea to the north- Though our docks are completely destroyed, evidently. To the northwest, through a small mountain passage lies the duchy of Morgue. Far too small to propose a threat, obviously. Directly to the west lies the kingdom of Gravenrogh, but it is blocked from us by the blackreach mountains. Directly to the south we have the kingdom Servicius- And to the East the kingdom of Rhenovia."

"Now, you may have noticed Umilicia does not actually border to our land. It lies here." he says, pointing farther south from your kingdom. "Past the kingdom of Servicius. Now, I am unsure what their deal is... I can only assume they have allied with them, for the Umilicien troops had free passage through their land. if you would want me to release these... Zombies as you call them on their land however, I could certainly experiment into creating a mindless beast such as you request."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:39 am

BadgeAddict wrote:Magister, gold can wait for a moment. Would you be able to destroy the minds of the spies and tribes, effectively creating mad-barbarian-zombie-hordes.(do this subtlety, make it look to be a plague) If you can do this, command them to go to our borders and fight our enemies. This will do a few things:

1. The tribes and Spies will be dealt with
2. The border countries who seek to destroy us will be forced to deal with a problem of their own
3. If they are led to believe there is a plague in our country that turns normal men into slobbering zombs then perhaps this will buy us some time before they choose to attack us again.
Aw man...! In no story ever written have mindless hordes of Reavers been a good thing. Let's not do this, at least not now! It's way too provocative and we're not the only nation here with a dragon.

I stand by my previous suggestions, though I have one more question:

"Magister, I am sure with your skills you can find a messenger willing to carry word to the villages! It doesn't need to be you who goes. Regardless, we must also consider the possibility of dealing with the other dragon... What skills do you have in dragon-slaying?"

Alavar
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Alavar » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:44 am

And how were our standing and reputation among our neighbours before the fall? Are there any other dragons around besides me and that bronze scum?

No, Magister, I can see you are not hmmm... enthusiastic about that task. But maybe some of the nobles we have now in stock would want to carry that duty? Or someone else entirely? It would gain that person great reward in terms of position and respect. If he or she succedes, of course. Spread the word, and volunteers would appear.
And you will be undisturbed by such petty task again

Thinks, I don't like the idea of anyone killing any dragons. if his answer is "yes, I'm exellent dragonslayer", I would fear for our safety <back> :stab:
Last edited by Alavar on Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:48 am, edited 5 times in total.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:44 am

Magister, Please go ahead and spend some time transmuting common metal to gold. There men/bandits/tribes who cannot be persuaded through harm perhaps can be persuaded through Gold.

Also Gold makes things happens, rebuilds cities quickly, and encourages markets and traders to buy and sell. Please, make me Gold.