Ninjas - The Role Playing Thread

Home to all current Forum Games.
LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Ninjas - The Role Playing Thread

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:22 pm

Hello Everyone!

This thread is the roleplaying thread for the Ninjas :ninja: game, that has just started over here.

The events of the RP happen in the same universe as the actual game, whether it's before, after, or parallel in time, is up to your tastes. The main purpose of this thread is to have fun, and to get involved in the world of ninjas. Rather, getting involved in this "fantasy" world of ninjas, which tries to be similar to the real world of ninjas, but since I live about 9.000 km away from Japan and a good 6-8 centuries later, I doubt it would be "real", real. So yeah.

In order to participate, please choose yourself a color, a name, and write up a background story. You should also try to show your stage in ninjahood: whether a total amateur, a training newbie, a master getting his second black belt, an old refugee after a whole life being a ninja... whatever you like.

After that, make your initial action post, so the GM (me) could react. You can also play with each other (provided you meet up), but please be polite and do NOT ruin each other's fun. Griefers will be locked out, although I hope it won't come to that as you guys are good company. ;)
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Re: Ninjas - The Role Playing Thread

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:23 pm

Follow-up reactions from the Recruitment thread.

@Kai
► Show Spoiler

@Sakura
► Show Spoiler

@Rae
► Show Spoiler
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:16 pm

Question;
► Show Spoiler
That aside.... Cool that you want to keep this going... It pleases us very much *was the royal "us" a bit to much? * :P

Kai:
Time passes for Kai, and as more time passes, and Kai becomes better, time also slows down for him... everything just moves slow out here... or is it just Kai's patience for such a calm and picture perfect life that is disappearing?

No matter; Kai besides that something must be done about it... after some time he uses a combination of favors and coin he have earned to buy leather and some bronze... with some help from his friend the smith, he slowly forms these two materials into a grotesque but artful muck-up of a samurai mask...

With his new mask on, he starts to stalk the country side close to the village.. as his confidence in his stealth grows over the next months, he moves closer and closer to the roads, starts following trades people and alike till and from the village... newer nearing them, or hurting them, simply using this as training in not being seen...

one evening at dinner, after a successful "hunt" stretching more than 8 miles from the village, without being seen by his "pray".
he comes in with the tea and gives old man Haruto-san a cup, and sits down... "Haruto-san, I have no way to describe my gratitude for your kindness, but... can i ask you one last favor?
You know Kenshin and his friends! and I know you would newer give up theire home possition, of that I have no illusions... but... I would ask of you.. would you point me in the right direction?"

If Haruto agrees to it, Kai will wait and try to get hire as a bodyguard on any trade caravan that moves in the right direction.
THis way, he will move closer and closer to where the Ninjas might be... trying to find some clues whenever he is not on job, or even just have some spare time... the Samurai mask he will keep hidden in his things, not warring it unless he needs to hide who he is...
-Best regards LAYF

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:45 pm

you forgot my character: Roshi, the smith. :(
► Show Spoiler
About spoilers: If this is a role play thread it doesn't make sense to put the roleplay into spoilers. This only hinders us to read the story easily. I would rather write the roleplay as text and put all OOC into the spoilers. How about that? :)

After his training with the master blacksmith was over, Roshi moved to a little town called Yuanshan (mountain of the monkeys) close the the Kinzentaru school, but situated much higher. There he met Kai again, another aspirant who did not get into the full training. Actually, he was one of Roshi's first customer. It was the sword Roshi created for his final trial to become a master blacksmith, which Kai now received. Roshi hoped that he would tread it well.
:zzz:

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:39 am

Sakura:

Ichiro finds a plan forming in his head as he sees the full shop and it's inhabitants...

"Hello, ma'am. No, I am not here for the kimono. I am here seeking employment...for my sister. She wishes to know more about the outside world, is no longer content to stay at home...but I wish for her to spread her wings in relative safety, and I am hoping a sheltered and womanly environment such as your shop would be suitable for her. She is very shy, not very worldly. Do you have need of a further assistant or apprentice, by any chance?"

He places his palms together and bows slightly, awaiting the lady's response.

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:23 am

Well, the spoiler was indeed for not being off-topic. I think we can get rid of that here, although it helped me a lot to see whom am I writing. And I think it helped you too to find your answer.

Since I tend to reply in batches of 2 or 3, spoilering replies to others made my posts easier to trace. I'll omit it for now, you can then decide which format you like more.

I propose the following post format for you:

Name (Bold and colored, if you have one)
< Your RP here >
► Show Spoiler

@Kai
Haruto looked up.

- Hmmm, that is not unexpected to ask, Kai-san.

He drank some tea while thinking.

- You see, even though I know them, I don't actually look for them. They come and go, never a trace and only barely a message, when it's important.

He put down the cup, and slowly stood up. He walked to the wardrobe, and started searching.

- Nevertheless, they have left me a parchment with some instructions, if I ever needed them... ah, here it is.

He fished out a strongly folded but clean parchment, and held it to Kai. He glanced at the letters:
Follow the mountain trail upwards 'til you can't go further. Then head towards the old widow, and when you reach the Zen Garden, burn an incense and wait there.

@Roshi
The boy finished with about one and a half cycles of hammering the blade, when one of the teachers - he didn't know his name as he was teaching battle fans and exotic weapons like that Roshi never cared about - appeared in the corner of the smithy. He sat down there, arms folded, patiently waiting for when the boy could spare his time.
► Show Spoiler

@Sakura
The woman started to think, without her hands stopping whatever she was working on.

- Hmm let's see... I wanted to send away Ami anyway, the shop could use some more cleaning up, the summer festival is within three months... Yes, I think I could use one more hand around here. Although I must say, I can only pay her if I myself get paid... which is quite sporadical in this line of work. If she is one to account for her money properly this shouldn't be a problem, but... it won't hurt to know.

Without looking, she folded the robe neatly and placed it on a slowly increasing heap of other clothes, and took up another piece: some baby socks that got ripped up by something (probably a misplaced nail of a wardrobe), and it didn't look trivial how to fix that. The woman started working on it immediately.

- Although, I must say, it would help a lot if I could talk to her in person, before deciding. It is very nice of you to speak up for her, but ultimately she will be the one working here.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:51 am

Roshi finishes the hammering cycle, then looks up. As he notices the teacher, he cools the blade and hammer down and steps up to him. "You want to talk to me?" he asks, still holding the feaming sword in his hand, the wet hammer in the other one. "Only eight folds to finish the folding, is it important or can I finish it first?"
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:55 am

Sakura:

Ichiro nodded and smiled. "I am glad you might have room for her. The wages are not too important to us, I will help her as I always have. What is most important to me is that she spends time with other ladies of good grace and bearing and learns a suitable skill to support herself. She only has me for company, and I am not in any position to teach her how to act appropriately for a young woman. I fear she will be a spinster, and an uncouth one at that, if she continues to spend her time only with me."

Ichiro looked to the young and middle aged women in the store with the owner, and noticed they all dressed similarly. He hoped they would not be too suspicious of Sakura when she arrived dressed like she'd borrowed her brother's clothes. "I will send her to you tomorrow morning, if that is acceptable, and you can make your decision once you have met her, perhaps? Is there a special attire she would need, one that is most suitable for the work she might be doing? Or a uniform?"

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:50 am

@Nerre and the others. The "Kinzentaru" does not exist yet, only the word for it. It is a heavy foreshadowing of destiny for the players to steer it somewhere in the future. It would make things easier as it would be kept as a rumor or a legend, as there is little to know about it yet (and don't expect me to spoil it here since we have players lurking too.)

@Nerre, again: I think it would be the best for the moment to wait with interacting Kai until he gets into a ninja clan, since else he has to roleplay both "before" and "after" it at the same time. Though if he is fine with that, then so be it, else I'd advise to wait some posts.
@Roshi
- It can wait. Take your time. - said the master.

After the boy had finished, they set out into one of the less-frequented corridors. Roshi knew the dojo and the old house well, but they had passed next to so many doors and so many stairs, he was unsure they were still at the same place. They arrived to a big, old, wooden door, with heavy knobs, something that wasn't typical for that place. It creaked when they opened it.

The room was lit by sunlight, and it took some time for Roshi to realize that it was actually a cave. In the middle of it, there was a marble sculpture of Buddha, behind a small parapet, which circled a stone table in front of it, only leaving half meter empty for some stairsteps to reach it.

On the table, there was a sword. Rather, there was the shaft, and a blade of about a palm size, the rest was missing.

- Do you know what this is? - asked the teacher, pointing at the weapon. It looked unfamiliar, but it seemed like a masterwork, weren't for the damage.

@Sakura

- No, there is no such thing as a uniform, but it is advised to bring something comfortable and light. Oh, and it should be something cheap or that you can't feel sorry for: while learning the ropes it's easy to accidentally cut into it or sew another cloth to yourself... Right, Mimi?

One of the young girls blushed and quickly turned her attention to folding the leg of the trouser she was working on.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:33 am

Argh.. cyper-space ate my homewor.. eh... my post....

Kai:

Kai makes a polite bow to the old man... "The thank I can give is nothing compared to the gratitude I feel Haruto-san. Before I leave, do you need anything done?"

Kai will help out in the house all he can, especially the hard work, such as setting tiles on the roof, or cleaning the well.
Until he finds a caravan going in the right direction, and then.. his journey will begin...

one late mid-day at the Sake/Tea-house, Kai overhears the conversation of four merchants;
"Yes I know, but the roads to the north have reports of robbery, even in high daylight, we cannot risk it, it will cost us our wares, we should wait until the highway patrol have been bye"
"If we do not get going soon, our wares will be ruined, just as bad as loosing it.. and the highway is to far off to the east of our destination..."

The discussion continues on for some time, then Kai stands up from his table, and walks over there.
"Greeting gentlemen" he says and give a polite bow... "I hear you have a problem in the therms of time and security.. It so happens that I am a skilled swordsman in look of new air, and maybe a few coins.. so I have a suggestion that will benefit all of us..."

The journey north is a tough one, the mountains and hills often leaves little to no road to walk.. even less space for the ox wagon that caries the wares of the merchants, often, they are forced to take everything out of the wagon and carry it over small passages, so that the weight will not drag down the ox and all the values of the wagons content... For a reason, that Kai is sure is not his to know, the Merchants always insists on lifting the most heavy box them self.. but it is not Kai's place to ask what it contains, and so he don't..

four days have passed, and Kai and the Merchants finely makes stop for the night.. Kai excuses himself as he does at each stop, saying that he will look at the surroundings for security, and if they need him, they only need strike the gong he have seen they have in the wagon.. As soon as Kai is out of sight, he turns his cloths inside out, so they are no longer a light blue, but a dusty gray, green and black, puts on his "Samurai mask" and starts training in the wilds... shadow fighting and practicing balance and stealth, often by sneaking up on the merchants camp, sneaking away again before being seen... but tonight, something seems off.. the merchants don't go to sleep as soon as they usually do, and the forest seems to lack sound that should be there... only crickets are heard moving around....
-Best regards LAYF

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:49 am

OOC:
I can wait for him to join, didn't notice the difference in timelines. :)

Roshi:
He walks closer to the sword hilt and inspects the rest of the broken blade. "It seems like a masterpiece, but I am only an apprentice and cannot say which master build it. The layers are perfectly paralell and thin as they can be. It takes people years to learn to make them so thin, and many more to learn to fold it so paralell."
He turns to the master
"Do you know who build it?" after a second he notices he left out the most important question "-and why it is damaged?"

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:20 am

Sakura:

Ichiro nods his understanding. "Then I will leave you to your business, thank you. I will send Sakura to see you in the morning." He bows again and leaves the store, smiling to himself. That went ok. The real test would be when he returned tomorrow as Sakura. At least these people didn't know him (or her!) and would not catch any mistakes he made about his history.

But there was still the issue of finding steadily paid work to consider, and harder, somewhere to live that would not notice or care that two people seemed to live there, but only one at a time left or entered. Well, he would cross that bridge when he came to it. First he had to find Ichiro a job, now that Sakura's employment prospects were improving.

He set off down the street, looking for the other businesses the Spice-vendor had suggested to him, in the hopes they needed a part time boy to earn some spare coins. Perhaps the blacksmith or the potter, or indeed the docks, would herald another opportunity today.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:40 am

Rae
Rae sat at the table waiting as patiently as she could and tried to not look around constantly. She focused her eyes on the wall to her right, but kept her ears open to the sounds in the shop.

What seemed like an hour later, but was probably closer to five minutes, the old lady came back out, with two cups on a tray. She set the tea in front of Rae and placed the other directly in front of her, then nodded her head in Rae's direction and retreated back behind the counter. Rae moved the cup and placed it how her letter instructed her to, then she began to sip her tea.

"Little girls should not be playing games they know nothing about," came a hushed, low voice from over her shoulder.

Without looking behind her, or moving her head at all other than to take another sip of her tea, she replied, "The daughter of Okami does not play games, sir, even if I am unsure of how to proceed from here."

"Okami," came the hushed reply. She could hear the pain in his voice as he said that one name. She closed her eyes against the reminder of her father, and when she opened them again, a man had seated himself in front of her. She never heard him move...
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:03 pm

First of all: LAYF has made us a map:
► Show Spoiler
As soon as you find your jaws, you can proceed to your RP answers. I will put this map somewhere better place to look at, and I also recieved a "draft" version on which I will write town names and such so you can find yourself in the world. :D

@Kai

- This is a fine evening. - commented one of the merchants, stretching himself next to the campfire.
- Indeed - replied the other one -, it's almost as if all the bad news went on summer vac...

- I think I may be ruining this fine moment, then.

The owner of the last sentence was a well shaved, middle aged man with black hair. He clothed like a noble, yet his face had some scars, and the way he nonchalantly swinged his bastard sword left and right was also somewhat disconcerting...

- And who are you? - asked one of the merchants, with a faint tremble in his voice. One of the other merchants - Kai always heard him reffered as Rou-san - inched his way towards the gong. An arrow zipped through the air from the shadows, and it hit the tree right next to his head.

- I would not try it, if I were you. Tsk tsk tsk. Is that a way to greet the great Gorou?

The man walked calmly forward, and Kai could count four other men coming out of the forest, except for the archer, who remained somewhere in the shadows.
@Roshi

The master picked up the weapon, carefully, as if touching a rare and fragile jewel, and held closer to the boy.

- Who built it? That is a question we will probably never know the answer for. Some says the handle is a rare ornamental style of Hibiki the Mad, others say that you can say the guard is a typical work of Master Shenshiru, while others would swear that the fine layered blade is a work of none other than the Ryouichi, the Smith of Heavens.

He took a pause, examining both the sword and Roshi.

- You, of course, at least as I assume about a student of the smithing art, know that these famous smiths lived about five hundred years ago, if they weren't just legends. Now, your second question, as to why it is damaged is a much easier one.

As if the story was too much to handle in one place, he began to walk back and forth.

- You probably have heard the legend of the Demon Isakayi. Actually, now that I think about it, you likely haven't, so if you indulge me, I'd like to tell you his tale. Isakayi was a demon of great power. He was so strong he didn't care about humans, he tormented the gods themselves. He bested many of them in combat, and he outmatched several in wit; And the pantheon of the old gods trembled before his name. And as the threat grew, so grew the gods restless. Finally, a young but wise one, Kashikoi has acted in secret: he searched out the humans, and asked their help. It wasn't an easy task, the demon was strong even in godly proportions, and humans stood no chance without help, so he had to make it sure they find the best chamion.

He turned on his heels once he got far enough, then continued.

- I won't bother you with all the details how the legened went on. The important thing is, they have found their hero - we only know that they called him The Brave -, who has been blessed by the gods themselves and who wielded a magnificient armor ... and this sword. Long story short, he killed the demon in an epic battle, however the blade couldn't resist the power that has been unleashed, and it broke. So did the champion, he died just weeks after his triumph. The legend has born, and his equipment... well, stolen. I know the helmet is in the posession of the current shogun. I know the sword is in our posession since generations, and I have no idea of the rest.

He walked back to Roshi, and looked at the boy.

- What do you think, why am I telling you this?
@Sakura

The potter's corner was backwards towards the market. Ichiro saw it on his way here, so he decided to risk visiting it first. It took him about five minutes, the never ending whirring of the throwing-wheels was an easy give-away.

- Hear, hear, people! Isenawa's finest jugs, plates, tea-pots at your disposal! It's so fresh out of the oven, you just add some water and the tea is ready! Hear, hear!

The man was equally loud and fat, with a jovial, if somewhat unkept face, holding at least five jugs in each of his hand. His shop behind him was quite big. Actually, it looked more like a backyard or an open storage room, filled with all kind of pottery and some impressive ovens in the back.

@Rae

The man sighed.

- Okami... is dead, I assume. Too bad, it has been a great honor to know him, and it has been an even bigger honor to call him friends once.

He picked up the cup that was placed in front of him, and spilled some of it on the hard cob floor as a sign of offer for the departed soul. He then took a sip, placed the cup down again, and looked deep into the girl's eyes. He had a thin, bony face, with short, black hair, that was abundant on his head; He had thick eyebrows and a neat mustache, waxed into a fine shape of downwards pointing U. As if to fit the theme, his eyes were black, too.
Last edited by LooksAndSmiles on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:22 pm

Kai:
*Shit* Kai thinks to himself... I knew something was wrong.... Kai circles slowly around the camp at a distance, trying to spot the archer, walking low and with his wakizashi in his rigth hand and tanto in the left...
When he finds the Archer, he will sneak up on him, use his tanto's handle to strike him in the temple, knocking him out and graphing him as he falls, slowly laying him down. Kai removes the mans belt, breaks of an arrow head and places the belt and pointy arrow head as a ball in the mouth of the archer, point up wards so he can feel it if he awakes. Kai then draws the mans shirt half over his head, and uses the sleeves to bind the man to a bamboo behind his back.
then he picks up the bow, loads an arrow and then move out to the edge of the shadows, with a muffled voice behind his mask he says:
"Oh Great Gorou, What an unfortunate night for you to chose to spoil someones travel plans, the same night I had the idea!... I don't like competition you see!"
"So... what will it be then? What shall I rob from you... your weapons or your life?" Kai says while pointing an arrow at Gorou!
-Best regards LAYF

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:29 pm

► Show Spoiler
Rae
"Yes, sir. My father was," she swallowed and broke eye contact with the dark man. "He died defending my home and avenging the deaths of my mother and grandfather. He managed to take the lives of those responsible, but they had already ensured that he would not survive his wounds. I found him and he told me to find you... I think." She picked up the rest of her tea and downed it in one swoop, then wiped her eyes of her unshed tears. Squaring her shoulders she looked back at this stranger and said quietly, "I am Rae. My Papa sent me to you, but I know not why. Can you help me? What do I need to do? Why did they kill him?"
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:13 pm

OOC:
► Show Spoiler
-Best regards LAYF

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:15 pm

(That map is amaaaaaze! Love it, LAYF.)

Sakura:
Ichiro approached the large man with some caution, not wanting to be caught a blow with one of his swinging armfuls of pots and jugs as the man touted his wares loudly into the street. He had second thoughts already, wondering whether he could work with someone so loud and cheerful when he himself was rather quiet and reserved. But, perhaps it would be good for him - and perhaps the potter was calmer when he was not trying to sell his products.

"Hello, Sir? Isenawa-san? Kouki-san at the tea shop told me you might be hiring a part-time helper?"

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:53 pm

Roshi, who already was thinking about why the master wanted him to see this, already got an idea and therefore quickly answers:
"Well, since I don't expect you would ask an apprentice smith to repair such a magnificent weapon, I think I will receive a task like <find the missing fragments of this sword>. If not even all missing pieces of his gear."

Nice map. Where am I on it?

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:33 pm

► Show Spoiler
@Kai

- Well, just so you know I too have an arche...

Gorou's smile turned into a grimace as he realized what happened.

- Ah, so you are one of those sneaky bastard kind. Still, we are five to one, and you won't have the time to shoot everyone. I suggest you to reconsider your stance... before it's too late.

The man suddenly grabbed one of the merchants, and put himself behind him as that yelped in surprise. Kai noticed that the other four bandits started to close in on him, slowly, with weapons in their hand. He only loaded one arrow, and he couldn't remember when he trained shooting the last time. His sword dangled on his belt reassuringly. Still, currently he held the bow and he had one shot. One thing he knew: he couldn't risk the merchant getting hurt.

@Rae

- Don't know if I can help you or not, child. - said the man. - At least not now, not here. Did your papa told you anything else? Aside from how to get to me?

He stood up.

- I must go now, though. If you wish to talk to me, just ask the woman at the counter where the privy is. Don't worry, she will know who you are. You will be led to a door, which in turn will open to a corridor. Just walk forwards, until you see the lions.

With one last, swift move, he picked up his cup and drank the tea.

- Sayonara, Rae.

@Sakura

The big man looked down at Ichiro like an elephant to a mouse.

- Oh hello there, young man! Yes, I could always use some help. What'cha good at? Jugs? Pots? Baskets?

He seemed to process that sentence a bit slower than he spoke.

- Wait, Kouki-san? Didn't think that old bugger would keep track of the world aside from his precious spices and sudoku! Hahhahha... How is the old chap doing? I trust he looks good as a new!

@Roshi

The master smiled.

- You have a sharp mind, just as your swords, indeed.

He took the weapon back, cleaned it with velvet, then placed it onto the stone table back.

- You see, legend says that the sword broke in two: The Brave held one part, the other one remained in the demon. Now, legends tend to be hazy in details like that, and truth to be told, noone found or claimed to found the missing part of the blade... I wouldn't ask you to find the whole set; That is a tedious but surely doable job. And I assume, it would be surely the most boring mission ever, for a young boy like you.

He held a short pause and rubbed his chin, thinking about how to explain himself.

- I'm not exactly giving you a task, no. We have hardly ever met, and I only got to know you through the smith master and your training masters. Still, what I'm at best doing is offering you ... a way to progress, if you wish. There is no mission from me, there is no reward. It is purely optional, so to speak. If you are interested in a bit more, visit me for a tea in the afternoon in the Zen Garden. If you are not, I promise not to bother you further.

The old oak door creaked majestically as he opened it for Roshi.

- Just walk back with your hand touching the red dragons on the left. You will end up at the dojo. I have... some things to organize, now.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:49 pm

ooc:
► Show Spoiler
Kai:

Damn.. I hoped this would work.. Kai thinks.. Still... 5 bandits vs one samurai.. he hopes his skills will help him here..
"Well... I see.. so.. you were 6, the archer included.... so that's 5" He says, suddenly he turns, and shoots one of the closing bandits in the knee as soon as he is close enough that he knows that he will hit...

"4 left" he says as he distances himself from the now crippled bandit, he throws the bow towards one of the others, drawing his katana and his wakizashi in one fluid move he advances on the robber he threw the bow at, cutting his weapon arm clean off.

"3 now" he says.. "That's half your men... Including you i might add!
as I see it you have 3 options now!
1! Release the merchants and you weapons, then run as fast as you can before i change my mind!
2! Keep this up and sacrifice your men, only slowing your death by a few seconds!"
Kai pauses a little... then continues in what most would hear as an insane voice..
"or 3! You order you men to attack, I kill them, then you kill the merchant you hold, leaving you without a shield, and me seriously pissed because you robbed me of my pay...
This off-cause will be the slowest way to die for you.. but hay... I was the one outnumbered 6 to one right?"

ooc:
► Show Spoiler
-Best regards LAYF

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:32 pm

Roshi follows the red dragons through the maze of buildings until he ends up in the smithy again.
He felt like he just dreamed that. Why would the master pick him for such a task? There are many way more experienced people in the school than him. He felt a little bit proud, but much more confused and insecure if he could do it. It would not make sense to accept the task if he did not believe he could do it. Old ledgends tend to only have a tiny bit of truth, the rest is story telling. Can he find a sword tip lost so long ago only based on that?
For a while he stands idly, then he spots his unfinished sword. He decides to focus on finishing it before he decides anything, and he still got enough time to do the foldings cycles before he is expected in the zen garden. After a few hours, the folding is done. he cools down the sword, which is very straight, much better than he had expected himself to be able to. The next steps are the grinding and sharpening of the blade. He got a bit more time, so he begins. With a full bucket of water over the grinding stone to steadily wettening it, he slowl spins it by pushing the pedals. After a while, the fold layers show up. While they are not as thin as the ones on the broken sword, he notices that he managed to forge them near paralell. Surprised and maybe even shocked by this sucess, he stops and stares at the sword for a while. If he can do this on his first try on a sword...he stands up and knows what to do.

Soon he enters the zen garden and steps up to the master.
"I am interessted in hearing more about it, master. " he says, followed by a bow.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:47 am

Sakura:

"He is well, or he seemed well. I had not met him before today, but he seemed in great health and spirit. He was doing a sudoku!" Ichiro smiled politely, then bowed and explained the situation a little more. "I am afraid I do not know anything about pottery or baskets, but I am a quick learner. Even if it is just sweeping up or cleaning. It is just me and my sister, so I am seeking any work I can get, you see. I will understand if you have nothing, though."

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:58 am

@Kai

The sudden movements of Kai took the robbers by surprise. The one shot by Kai and sitting on the ground suddenly says:
- I used to be a first class robber... then I took an arrow to the knee.

Everyone else looks at him, not understanding, but he just shrugs.

The one who had his arm cut off, now tried frantically to bind himself up, no mean feat for someone recently "disarmed". He managed to at least stop the bleeding by choking the gap with his belt, then he slumps down at a tree trunk, and stares out of his pale head. The bloodloss is taking on him, right now it's unsure whether he will survive the night.

- Ah, not bad... - says Gorou, quickly regaining his composure. - But I say, how about we kill you for your deeds and rob you for your fancy sword?

As Kai is no longer holding a bow, Gorou suddenly tosses the merchant away from him, and with the same movement he swiftly throws a dagger at Kai. The two bandits who have been circling Kai out of reach for a while now, decided to strike at the same moment: one from behind with a flail in his hands, the other from Kai's right side, with a sword.

@Roshi

The master looks up from his meditation, then moved his hand to signal the boy to sit down. After this had happened he began to speak:

- I've chosen you because you show the affinity towards swords. You also haven't completed your ninja training, therefore you are probably still open minded to learn new techniques and ideas. You still have a life in front of you, and you can be anything.

He poured some tea from the pot next to him and held a cup at Roshi.

- The task is not about finding the blade. The task is to immerse yourself in the legend of the sword, and learn anything you find desirable. Whether you will become a master weapon smith, or a skilled swordsman, be it ninja, or ... - he pronounced the world carefully - samurai, is entirely up to you. You may even find another, greater purpose of life while on your journey, and abandon this cause, who knows?

He took a sip from his own tea.

- All I'm asking is, if you take on this life, please document everything you learn about the sword. You see, me and some of our clan are great appretiators of legends and relics. And our life now inhibits us from seeking this kind of knowledge... only in our spare time, but it's still not much.

@Sakura

The big man put down the jugs from one hand. He held five at once as Ichiro noticed, and those weren't small jugs.

- Well then, how about this? Try to lift as many of them as you can, and bring them over to that counter. As soon as you have brought all of them to their place, you have 2 minutes to find a broom. Be back with the broom and report for duty.

He then turned away from the boy, and started bellowing again.

- Hear, hear, fine people of Isenawa! Are you looking for the best pottery? Search no more! Just lay your eyes on my wares, and let them talk! I'm sure you'll be satisfied with their voice! Hear, hear!

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:59 am

► Show Spoiler
Kai:
Damn... one sidestep, to Ihen migi* , so to let the one from behind take the flying dagger, Quickly up to Hira Ichimonji* to grab the right coming attacker, use his momentum to force his blade into the attacker from behind, quickly while he is unarmed, up to doku* to strike him with the wakizashi, quick, turn around ARRHG!!!...

The pain... Kai, had been fast, he had dispatched all of Gorou's men.. but he had not been quick enough, before he could turn back and strike Gorou, the man had made a vicious cut down Kai's side, forcing him to drop his katana because of its weight.

Gorou laugh, sure of his win now he looks at Kai....

* Ihen migi = Low right faced stance
Hira Ichimonji = Open arm stance with spread legs (imagine a stance before a hug)
Doku = stance with back spend like a bow, to deliver powerful blow with hand, arm or weapon.

Kai for the common thounge:
► Show Spoiler
-Best regards LAYF