Ninjas - Training Grounds (Closed)

Home to all current Forum Games.
LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Ninjas - Training Grounds (Closed)

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:10 pm

Hi Everyone, this is the gaming thread for Ninjas. :ninja:

The Shinobi Almanac where you can look up rules, etc. will be put into the Resources subforum, but it will take time.

We have our 5 players ready!

Before dropping them into the bloody and cruel world, they get their chance to see how it will more-less work in a lame amazing Tutorial session. Without further ado, let's begin at...

The Training Grounds >>Click here for Turn 1

- Welcome, young ninjas! I'm sure you have mastered many aspects of the Shinobi traditions already, but I think you need one last training before you get your first tasks. Just to make sure, you know. It's not that I hold you for absolute noobs or anything, really.

- Anyway.

- Each of you starts out with a [Training Stick]. Although only Rae has affinity to wield it, don't worry, you can fight with it too! You just won't have special abilities linked to it, but special abilities are blocked for this tutorial anyway.

Your mission:
  • Find 5 Training Dummies, and neutralize them.
  • Find the Gong and sound it once the task above is done.
Good Luck!

Reminder on movement:

You can move around the map almost freely, as long as you are not in combat mode, in which case your "Nimble" stats apply.

You are in combat mode, if
  • You attack someone
  • You are attacked by someone
  • You have been discovered by an enemy
  • You discover an enemy.
On this map, the dummies do not count as enemies, that will be another lesson. To neutralize them, you can kick, punch, or use your [Training Stick].
Last edited by LooksAndSmiles on Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Re: Ninjas - Training Grounds

Post by Wolfie » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:08 pm

Rae moves forward, jumps, and hits the dummy in front of her with her training stick
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:20 pm

Mutzu climb up the ladder

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:22 pm

Beni will jump up and grab a torch.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:01 am

Sakura will jump up past the dummy and open the door.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:06 am

► Show Spoiler
Mesa will move forward, climb to the peak of the boxes and then jump to the ledge where the door is.

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:53 pm

Training Room 1

Turn 1 >>Next Turn

Mesa changes his color from red to green , so they could identify themselves easier. Damn' ninjas and their obscure looking alike.

Rae leap-attacks the poor training dummy.

Mutzu climbs the ladder, while Sakura and Mesa heads for the door.

Beni, a natural scavenger, already tries to hoard loot even though he is just on the training map. Nevertheless, the torch won't move.

Note on art:
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by LooksAndSmiles on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins

Re: Ninjas - Training Grounds (Turn 1)

Post by Wolfie » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:28 pm

Rae jumps up and moves into the room, jumping over the dummy (so Sakura or another ninja can get it) and heads up the ladder on the right wall.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:44 pm

Mutzu sneaks up the boxes and suprise attack the dummy.
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:40 pm

It wasn't so much about looting the room as it was seeing what would happen. (I had several possibilities in mind.) That said, Beni suspects one of those wily training dummies may be hiding inside (or perhaps behind) the large yellow box. He drops down to investigate. It's really not so different from scouring the cellar for the right ingredients. Easier, in fact, as the daimyo's cats are not around to try to torment him by sneaking around and jumping out at him from unexpected places. See how those stupid felines do when Beni comes back with ninja training, oh yes... But, uh... Oh, right. Time to open and check behind that box. And be ready to take a good swack at any cats - er, training dummies - that might be discovered in the process.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:47 pm

Sakura runs forwards and hops up the wall notches to the hatch in the ceiling.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:06 am

Mesa sneaks up softly, so as not to make noise, and swings his stick down from above onto the training dummy, he then continues to the wall and climbs it (if he can, aka, because someone else isn't using it)

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Ninjas - Training Grounds (Turn 2)

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:01 pm

Training Room 1

Turn 2>>Next Turn

Mesa practices the stealthy movement towards the dummy. A little more training before getting to the stealth requiring lessons never hurts. As attacking is a major action, he has no time left to move on.

Rae begins her journey towards the other floor.

Mutzu carefully closes on his prey.

Sakura wastes no time, and heads towards the top.

Beni thinks there must be something with the boxes, so with great effort he pulls out the biggest one, and tries to open it.

Unfortunately, the boxes are well closed, and it seems to be pointless trying to open them up. However, Beni notices something on the side of a box:
► Show Spoiler
Looks like he will need ALL the ninja training he can get, when he returns.
Last edited by LooksAndSmiles on Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins

Re: Ninjas - Training Grounds (Turn 2)

Post by Wolfie » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:52 pm

Rae inspects the ladder she's on for hidden catches, mechanisms, or other oddities. If she finds a hidden catch, she'll activate it.

Edited to complete action.

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:09 pm

Mutzu dismantles the dummy to get a second stick as a weapon

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:28 pm

Beni growls. He does not find this surprise discovery nearly as amusing as his player does. He spends a moment fantasizing about creating a new sauce for the Daimyo's supper. All red and gooey. Yes, he'll call it cat-sup sauce...

He refocuses his mind on the job at hand. For the third time, he finds himself thinking that the master sent five ninjas to do a two ninja job. Three of the dummies have been hit, and he senses the others going to an upper chamber, where it's likely one or both of the remaining dummies will be found. He briefly laments wasting time on boxes when he should have been opening barrels (which he knows from his experience in the cellar to be much easier).

But then his senses tell him that there is a large unexplored area before him. There is even one box which seems to go partway into the wall. If the others have things in hand (as he senses they do), he might as well do some exploring. He shifts the smaller boxes (confident that his athletic teammates will have no trouble getting down without them) and searches for a hidden door.

► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:38 am

Sakura opens the furthest barrel, ready to punch anything that pops out of it.

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:41 am

Infodump time! This will go into the Almanac once I get to do it... (Yeah I know, I keep saying that)

There are three kind of in-game actions one can take:

- move
- minor actions
- major actions

In one turn, a player can do two of these actions, with the following restrictions:

- There can be only one major action, which ends the turn.
- If someone enters a new area, that stops them from further actions (as they will spend their time in assessing the new situation)

This of course allows for the following combination:
► Show Spoiler
- Move actions are what Nimble allows you to do: walk/run/jump/climb. When there are no enemies, you can cramp as many continous moves into one action as it's logically possible, else the numbers apply.
- Minor actions are manipulating the environment (picking up/inspecting stuff, opening doors, moving boxes), and some of the abilities. When you post multiple minor actions for a turn,and only those, I may cramp even 3-4 of them into the "2" actions you have if it seems fitting or the action limit would only cause unnecessary delay.
- Major actions are mostly fighting and fight related abilities.

When you recieve your ability (after the training sessions) it will be clearly stated whether it's a minor action or a major action to avoid confusion.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:11 am

Mesa rolls to the base of the wall before scaling up the handholds, to the top one before leaping to the platform. (he is going to over-dramatize everything, so you are warned)

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Ninjas - Training Grounds (Turn 3)

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:00 pm

Training Room 1

Turn 3 >>Next Turn

Rae inspects the wall meticulously. Nothing out of ordinary, it looks like a regular climbing wall.

Mutzu tries to dismantle the dummy, but it seems to be made of unbreakable wood. Mutzu realizes this leads to a Zen question, and is one step nearer to enlightement:
If an object is created from an indestructible wood, how did they create the object in the first place?
Beni thinks that there is something wrong with the layout of the boxes, so he starts to move them. The next picture will tell what he finds because I'm too lazy to narrate it. (Even though it would have costed a lot less characters than writing this up, including this absolutely useless comment in the parenthesis.)

Sakura starts to play Whack-A-MoleDummy. She has to keep playing.

Mesa rolls swiftly to the bottom of the wall, bouncing lightly into the legs of Rae who is inspecting it. This minor hiccup means nothing as he dodged ALL the incoming attacks! (There were 0 attacks, but he still technically dodged all of them.) He climbs to the top with great pride.

Last edited by LooksAndSmiles on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Ninjas - Training Grounds (Turn 3)

Post by WearsHats » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:35 pm

Ooo, crawlspace! Beni will investigate. By, surprisingly enough, crawling into it.

► Show Spoiler

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:19 pm

Mutzu happy and relaxed from his Zen moment decides to push all the boxes from the platform down

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins

Post by Wolfie » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:57 pm

Rae moves down and crawls behind Beni, looking forward to seeing what's in the room (besides the back end of Beni)
► Show Spoiler

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:58 pm

Wolfie wrote:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins

Post by Wolfie » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:16 pm

LooksAndSmiles wrote:
Wolfie wrote:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler