Magic, Monsters and Mazes Oh My!

Home to all current Forum Games.
CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Magic, Monsters and Mazes Oh My!

Post by CroverusRaven » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:11 pm

This is a dungeon Crawl RPG designed for a large number of players. The point of the game is for a group of adventurers to travel through a dungeon, defeat the monsters, collect treasure, survive the deadly traps, and make it to the next level. At each level's completion, the group levels up, getting bonuses based on their class. Here's the kicker: There are several adventuring groups going through the maze, each on a different path, unaware of each other. The bottom most dungeon room holds a great dragon and his vast treasure hoard. Only one group of Heroes can claim the treasure!

Treasure collected at each level is kept until the group decides to retreat back to town. The whole group must go. And going back to town cause the completed levels to fill up with wandering monsters. Completing levels that a group has already beaten does not give them enough xp to level up.

A group of adventurers will include 4 Heroes. Class determines everything about your character mechanic, everything else is fluff. Every turn the Heroes can take three actions. Actions include Attacking an enemy, Moving up to the Hero's Speed, Opening a door, Opening a chest, pulling a lever, using a magic item. They can only attack 1 time in a turn to start, but can make a second attack at Level 4, and a third attack at Level 7. Heroes always go before monsters and traps, and go in the order they post. It is a good idea to give a few what-if action chains to perform. For example: Open a door, move towards nearest monster, attack. Each of those would take one action, unless the nearest monster is more than 1 move away, in which case the third action becomes another move. Movement costs 1 point of Speed for every space regardless if moving horizontally, vertically, or diagonally, unless the space has a circumstance penalty (ice, thigh high water, muddy, lots of rubble, etc). However, activating items (pulling a lever, opening a door or chest) can only be done when adjacent horizontally or vertically, not diagonally.

Heroes only Heal when they return to town, Level up, or use a healing item. If a Hero's Health reaches 0 they die. There are several options available to a dead Hero. They can wait for their group to go back to town and sell loot to revive them. If the hero's group levels up before going back to town the dead hero does not gain the level. A dead Hero can also choose to lose all their current loot to be revived at the start of the current floor with a -1 penalty to one stat. Lv 1 Heroes cannot take this option. The revived Hero must wait 1 turn before they can take any other actions. Latly the player controlling that Hero can retire them and start with a New Hero with a new Group, starting with 1 random loot item. Heroes cannot loot their fallen.

While in town Heroes sell any loot they do not want and have a randomized shop available to them. They can also choose to give away their loot to their allies, and retire. Player's who retire a Hero willingly in town can create a New Hero with a new Group, but start with a +1 to a stat of their choice. Their total stat bonus from this option must equal 1 less than the level of the retiring character. Ex. A character must be at least level 2 to gain this bonus the 1st time.

All you need to join is pick a Class and once 4 people have joined that group begins their adventures! I'll make maps once I can to make things easier to keep track of who is in what group in which dungeon.

Every Hero has the following stats
Health-How many times a hero can take a hit before dieing.
Attack-How much damage a Hero does to monsters.
Speed-How many squares a hero can move each turn.
Defense-Chance of a Hero avoiding damage from monsters and traps.

Heroes

Knight-A warrior in shining Armor, starts with Health 4, Attack 2, Speed 2, Defense 4. They can only attack opponents next to them. Once per floor they can double their attack against an Undead or Demon. They can also heal an ally once per floor equal to the Knight's Health+Level.

Thief-A shady individual who excels at stealing and backstabbing, starts with Health 2, Attack 3, Speed 4, Defense 2. They can only attack opponents next to them. Once per floor they can negate the damage from a trap. They can also unlock any door or chest they come across.

Mage-A caster of the arcane, vulnerable in combat and reliant on spells, starts with Health 2, Attack 1, Speed 2, Defense 1. They can attack opponents within 2 spaces. They have access to spells which grows as they level up, they can use any spells they know but can only use a number of spells equal to their Level+1. They only get back spells by returning to town or leveling up. They Start with the Following 4 spells: Magic Bolt-4 damage to one target within 6 spaces; Shatter-Destroy target door/chest/bars/lock on touch; Magic Jump-Teleport up to 5 spaces away, must have line of sight to location; Shield-Negate next source of damage.

Archer-A ranged combatant best used at a distance, starts with Health 2, Attack 3, Speed 3, Defense 1. They can attack opponents within 8 spaces but cannot attack adjacent opponents. Once per floor they can avoid one enemy attack and move for free up to their Speed. They can also Increase their Attack by +1 if by spending an action, but they cannot do so in the same turn they have made a move action and cannot make any other move actions that turn.

Barbarian-A melee brute that is hard to kill, starts with Health 5, Attack 4, Speed 3, Defense 2. They can only attack opponents next to them. Once per floor they can lose 1 Health to Increase their Attack by +2. When they have less than 1/2 (rounded down) of their Health they gain Attack +2 and Speed +1.

Monk-An agile warrior that fights without armor, starts with Health 3, Attack 2, Speed 3, Defense 3. They can only attack opponents next to them. Once per floor they can negate damage done to them from an attack, and if the attacker is adjacent they can counter attack. Monks do not take damage from falling and can ignore movement penalties for 1 space when they move.

Group 1
Mereneth - Hunarauk, Level 1 Knight Health 3/4, Attack 2, Speed 2, Defense 4
kida - Lonar, Level 1 Mage Health 2, Attack 1, Speed 2, Defense 1
Dlover - Kalin, Level 1 Monk Health 3, Attack 2, Speed 3, Defense 3
Questions - Junter, Level 1 Thief Health 1/2, Attack 3, Speed 4, Defense 2

Group 2
Nolandking - Meat, Level 1 Barbarian Health 4/5, Attack 4, Speed 3, Defense 2
I'mBob - Tinian, Level 1 Mage Health 2, Attack 1, Speed 2, Defense 1
Nerre - Morro, Level 1 Monk Health 3, Attack 2, Speed 3, Defense 3
nikhol - Pinky, Level 1 Thief Health 2, Attack 3, Speed 4, Defense 2

Group 3
BadegAddict - Slice'n'Dice, Level 1 Thief Health 2, Attack 4, Speed 4, Defense 2, 2 gold, Magic Dagger(+1 Attack)
LooksAtYouFunny - Potian, Level 1 Archer Health 2, Attack 3, Speed 3, Defense 1
ThroughTheWell - Tharl, Level 1 Barbarian Health 3/5, Attack 4, Speed 3, Defense 2
Theis2 - Karl, Level 1 Mage Health 2, Attack 1, Speed 2, Defense 1

And MAP(s)! (Will be edited as they update)
Group 1
► Show Spoiler
Group 2
► Show Spoiler
Group 3
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by CroverusRaven on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:20 pm, edited 37 times in total.

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Re: Magic, Monsters and Mazes Oh My!

Post by Mereneth » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:32 pm

Hunarauk the knight enters the Inn, ready for an adventure.

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:06 pm

Lonar the mage ready for action

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:02 am

Kalin the monk, ready to serve.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Questions
Mutters to Themself

Post by Questions » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:25 am

Junter the thief finishes his beer.

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:28 am

And the first group of adventurers have gathered!

Hunarauk, Lonar, Kalin, and Juntar gather together and head out the one of the many entrances into the Dragon's Tomb!

Players count the ladder as the 1st space they enter from. You each have three actions. The order of actions is based on post order, unless you specify you move after someone else. The map in the first post will be updated after all four of you have posted an action. I'll wait 24 hours, anyone that doesn't post is on autopilot.

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:42 am

Lonar moves to the item in L11 and examines it.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:34 am

Kalin moves to L10 and opens the door.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Nolandking
Converses Frequently

Post by Nolandking » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:56 am

Meat the Barbarian waiting for an adventurers group to join.
Haven't played this signature game in a long while but I'll try it out again.

Help these poor little guys hatch.

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:58 am

Tinian the mage joins the Barbarian.
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:43 am

Hunarauk moves to behind Kalin and takes the first step into the room beyond the door once it is opened.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:31 am

I'mBob wrote:Tinian the mage joins the Barbarian.
Morro, the Monk, takes a seat at the table of Tinian and Meat.
:zzz:

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:19 am

Group 2 needs only 1 more Hero!

Group 1's actions will take place as soon as Juntar makes his actions.

A quick note on movement and activating items: You can move to any adjacent square for 1 point of Speed, so diagonal movement does not cost extra. However, you must be adjacent horizontally or vertically to an object to use it. So, Kalin, you will be able to move tot he door, open it, then move to L10 with your three actions, I just want it to be clear that you are not opening the door from L10. similarly, Lonar will not enter the space with the object, but can stop in L12 or K11 and will Activate it from there. I'll add this bit to the main rules about actions.

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:30 am

Lonar will move to L12 before activating the object.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:32 am

Pinky, the thief, sidles up to the seated group and asks whether they'd be interested in her services.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:13 am

Morro welcomes her and answers "Indeed we would reqire your services. The quest that hooded guy over there-" he points at the questgiver "-wants us for a mission that needs a group of four, so you would complete us."

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:44 pm

And with that, Group 2 is complete! The Quest giver send them to another entrance to the Dragon's Tomb, telling them to hurry before someone else beats them to the bottom floor!

Players of group 2 will use the second map, the stairs are your starting point.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:55 pm

Slice'n'Dice the thief seemingly suddenly appears to be sitting at the table in the inn, no one saw him enter...sneaky..

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:07 pm

Pinky will move forward and check for traps >.>

Questions
Mutters to Themself

Post by Questions » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:30 pm

Junter moves to the door at L10, examines it, and listens.

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:48 pm

The door is technically at K10, and your other party members are already opening that door.

Questions
Mutters to Themself

Post by Questions » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:20 pm

Junter moves to the OTHER door, listens, and examines it.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:59 pm

I'm cool with that movement for Kalin.
My game:

My characters:

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:28 am

Group 2:
Morro spawns on R14 on the second map.
Last edited by Nerre on Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:41 am

Group 1 Map will be updated in a bit.

Lonar approaches the item, a crystal orb fixed in a pedestal. Blue light comes from it and Lonar's mind is filled with words. The glow fades after the words are delivered and the orb becomes inactive.
► Show Spoiler
Kalin goes to the north and open the door, stepping into the corner before peeking into the room.
Hunarauk follows Kalin then steps into the room. It is 3 wide and 6 long, and a pair of Skellies are at the end standing in front of a small chest.
Junter checks out the other door. It is unlocked, not stuck, and appears untrapped. There is no sound coming from the other side.