Magic, Monsters and Mazes Oh My!

Home to all current Forum Games.
nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Re: Magic, Monsters and Mazes Oh My!

Post by nikohl » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:23 pm

Pinky (2) moves as far as possible towards the leftmost door. If the others need her expertise in opening the chest, she will head over that way instead, and open it if she reaches it.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:53 pm

Karl (3) takes the coins and attempts to identify the robe
Last edited by Theis2 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Questions
Mutters to Themself

Post by Questions » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:26 pm

Junter will examine the door first for traps and locks, then examine the gold coin. If the coin is trapped he will disarm it first, If the door is trapped he will disarm it second if able. If neither are trapped he will pick up the coins and toss them to Lonar, then ask, "Are we splitting the loot equally?" If anyone answers yes he will hide his three coins in his sock. Those are his three coins. He got stabbed for them... If a trap goes off he will dodge and call for healing before he attempts the second.
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:33 pm

Kalin (1) meditates on the recent combat.

Ie. He sits around doin nothing.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:36 pm

Having already collected the gold at his feet, Hunarauk moves on to the corridor with statues. Out of caution as he looks it over for the safety of his party, he steps just inside the door and tries to examine the statues from where he stands.

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:33 pm

All updates to stats and items are in the very first post, just above where I update the maps.

I don't know how to make those nifty character tables.

Edit: And yes, the chest is looted, I forgot to remove the lid and put "Empty" above it since that is something I only just started doing with Group 3. I need to make sure I'm standardizing little thing like that.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:01 am

(3)Potain will take one step back to O-5, If someone opens the door and he can see something hostile, He'll fire an arrow into it.
"Can someone open this door? I'd like to kill more stuff..."
-Best regards LAYF

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:19 am

(3) Having found himself at a dead end of sorts Slice Says " There is always the other door"

He then spends all of his actions moving back to the other door.

Nolandking
Converses Frequently

Post by Nolandking » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:08 pm

Meat(2) wait for Morro to open the chest.
Haven't played this signature game in a long while but I'll try it out again.

Help these poor little guys hatch.

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:17 pm

also, Group 2, don't forget to vote for Bob's character.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:21 pm

(2) Morro opens the chest and distributes the items according to the classes of his team.
:zzz:

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:10 pm

Tharl (3) moves to the pile of blood (end at M4) and searches through it for anything unusual, key, or door related. "Thief should try... thief things on THIS door." Tharl snarls at Slice's back.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:07 am

Bob's character (2) could also head towards the door.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:45 am

nikohl wrote:Bob's character (2) could also head towards the door.
Agreed.
:zzz:

Questions
Mutters to Themself

Post by Questions » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:44 am

Mereneth wrote:Having already collected the gold at his feet, Hunarauk moves on to the corridor with statues. Out of caution as he looks it over for the safety of his party, he steps just inside the door and tries to examine the statues from where he stands.
Don't. Blink.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:59 am

Slice, hearing the grunts of dissatisfaction about his usefulness coming from his companions lets out a long sigh and walks to the center of the room and examines the entire room, looking for clues that may suggest how to open the door.

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:05 pm

Sorry for the delays, my laptop's video card has fried so I can only see a black screen when I turn it on. I am in the process of fixing it but as I used Paint to make the maps and all my notes were ona notepad, I may have to postpone the next update until after I get a laptop that works. I am posting from a friend's ipad at the moment, which I do not know how to use for the purpose of updating the maps.

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:45 pm

So... I got a new laptop and was able to upload the maps on it, but all my rules that are not listed here (monster stats, treasure tables, new class abilities... prestige classes) are being re written from scratch. So I want to know if there is still interest in this and if you guys want to pick up where you left off or try starting fresh. Bonus incentive for starting fresh: You guys can customize your character's skin, eye, hair color, minor cosmetic changes, and I'm willing to start you out with 1 bonus stat (as if you'd retired your characters.) Let me know what you guys want to do.

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:58 pm

I'm ok with either starting from scratch or continuing.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:41 pm

I have a collection of random thoughts:
Initialy, I thought this game was going to be multiple teams on the same map, competing to get to lower levels faster than each other. Multiple maps... changes the feel, is more work for you, and does not complete any one map faster. Then, 4 chars limits teams to missing out on some of the benefits of other char types, which is made worse by the fact that an individual player is not really selecting his team. Then (as I demonstrated) the game is simple enough that 1 player can run 4 chars like they were playing an rpg video game, which is arguably a faster way to play and has more control. Even then it will be slower play than a crpg. So multiple players per team, add what? There is not really a needed role playing element needed, so it comes back to simple enough hack and slash that it could be run by 1 player per party.

The game ran for about 15 days, then went on a month hiatus. Teams tended to clear 2-3 rooms, due to the time it takes to move, attack multiple times, loot, and wait on other players to post. For some reason, after a month, that feels slow. Worse, some teams had a metagame advantage if they could get their players to post faster and more often than another team. In a race, that seems like a swing factor that will end up disapointing somone.

Having said all of that, I'm not sure what I think about restarting or continuing. Let me think about that for a few days.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:14 pm

A few counter points: Rules are still being worked out as the players go though it, that is why I originally recruited as this being a playtest; The game ONLY stopped because of technical error, otherwise I feel like it would have started to pick up in pace; Two of the teams were on the same rounds and players were posting regularly enough it would have stayed that way, only Team 2 was lagging behind due to a player disappearing and not playing for about a week. Of the two games that were further along, they had reached Round 9 after a month of play, so that 2-3 rooms you were talking about turns into roughly 3 rounds spent per room (which seems pretty appropriate); As per the party limit, having 6 players in a dungeon would get crowded, and I suppose in a restart players can pick their class then choose which teams they want to be on, though the issue with that is players all wanting to play with "so-and-so" and not being happy if they aren't the quickest to vote on which team they are on, thus random assignment is easiest and the most fair; Lastly, the whole "racing" concept was incentive for the players to be active, in the future I can add that players who are inactive fro 24 hours have their team vote on what their character does.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:47 pm

I'm good either way. Starting fresh might be good.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:19 am

Well... there are things that talks against and for what TTW says...

About the race part, since that the time measurement in a game is rounds, it does not matter that one team finishes before another, one team could finish in 3 months and 40 rounds, while another team finishes in 5 months but only 37 rounds, so team 2 wins... that said, I would limit the time a team have to respond, to say.... 4 days... if someone have not answered by then, go one wit those who have and declare the last character idle, to both keep the game speed, and a little sense of urgency... or you could have auto actions/votes for them....

So... I see no problem there....

The problem I do see, is as TTW says, it did run for › a month then disappeared for double that time..
You mention that it was technical issues that lead up to the halt.
So I would suggest restarting, and explaining the rules change!

About team assignment, well.. honest, I'd just assign people as the sign up... no need to randomize teams, if its the rounds that determines who wins and not the RL time, it should work....

that is my thoughts on what have been said anyways.

Now... what have not been said yet is:

The game currently have some drawbacks that have annoyed me a little:

Ranged characters, due to being ranged, are 2nd to get items b-cause all rooms we have so far entered, we can see chests right away, and they are placed in the far end of rooms, behind enemies giving close combat characters an advantage - my advice,
either use multiple chests per room, with divided treasure and random placed....
or hide the chests, give the ranged a bonus to spot them at a distance...

The other thing, locked doors.. this have only come up once, but due to the nature of the thief(or was it rouge?) that single character can dictate what route we must take, simply by not helping with a locked door..
I see 3 solutions for this.
1) Place keys around, not as many as locked doors, but enough that character can chose to open some of them.
2) Make doors destructible, but with a downside to doing it due to the noise.
3) Only place locked doors at the end of each level, forcing the rouge to help since the goal is to get further. <<<<--- this is my least favorite option....

So...

That said... when I feel better, I'd like to continue in this game :)
-Best regards LAYF

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:51 am

Also keep in mind, you guys had not finished the 1st floor.

Things that would have taken place if you'd made it tot he end of the first floor:
Leveling up! Everyone would have had the option to either improve one of their stats, or learn a new class trick (which is random since most of the class tricks for each class are of equal power because some are more limited in how often they are used)
Keys! One group actually had a key to pick up, but several locked doors. Also, I'll add in a change to the thief to put their lock picking skill back in line wit that of skills other classes have.
Treasure! More randomly dropped treasure on creatures, and will change looting rules so when a chest is looted, it goes to a party stash that everyone can claim! also, some items only work for specific classes (Only a Ranger can use a Magic Bow), and I do roll the treasure randomly.
Map Size! The second floor was going to be huge, AND, the players would have a chance to run into one another.

Alas none of these things happened because of my computer derping. Hopefully the second time around will be better.

Anyway, I'll hear some more feedback, I have a busy couple of days ahead in RL then once things settle will probably just restart this with a new thread. Please feel free to suggest other things, such as how Attacks and Damage should be resolved, if I should add the option of Races (Maybe a Race gives a point bonus to a stat), and any balance issues I should work out.

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:47 pm

Ok, I am beginning on a resart, It will show up probably sometime in the next 2-3 weeks for recruiting, so keep an eye out. The new version will include a more in depth explanation of the rules, including how attacks work, a list of actions that can be done both during and outside of combat, and the % chance of actions being successful, making the 1/floor auto success that some calsses have for different actions making that class useful but not 100% necessary (for example, anyone can pick a lock now - or just break opena door or chest - but Theives still do it the best). I will also go into a LOT more detail about the classes, including abiltiites they can randomly gain as they level up, grouping their abilities in to things that can be learned at levels 2-5, 6-8, and at level 9 and 10. After reaching Level 10 a Hero should be taking on the Dragon of the first dungeon. Hero's the succeed gain access to oe of several unique prestige classes, based on what class they started with. Also looting rules are being revised so that any loot from chests or boss monsters is available for everyone to take from. Players can also add minor customizations to their characters like skin, eye, and hair color, and tattoos or scars they may want added, the general shape of their weapon/armor (has no effect on the damage they do), and other misc cosmetic changes. Mostly to make it easier when more than one player picks the same class.

Looking forward to seeing you guys when it gets going!