An Adventure Begun Badly... (Recruiting, Turn 4)

Home to all current Forum Games.
Questions
Mutters to Themself

An Adventure Begun Badly... (Recruiting, Turn 4)

Post by Questions » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:26 am

A group of seven adventurers set out into the forest near the town of Sleepyoak. This forest is well known for being one of the last places that wonderous beings of magick still have a hold, and ever since a man trapped and brought a Chimera out of the forest for the rest of civilization to see adventurers have flocked to this place to find their fortune in one form or another. Some look for magick items of great power, others for treasures, still others for beasts that they can hunt and sell. Our heroes set out led by Rigel Brimley, a veteran of the Campaign to Civilize the Dwarves, to explore an ancient tomb where things quickly went from bad to worse...

Welcome! This game will begin this coming Sunday has begun, but registration is still open. Anyone who is interested in playing please see the recruitment post here and sign up. We have three two open spots left, and we may add more. This is going to be a dungeon adventure with some roleplaying, so be prepared for that, and to have fun.
Last edited by Questions on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Questions
Mutters to Themself

Re: An Adventure Begun Badly...

Post by Questions » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:58 am

We begin this one in two days. That is all.

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:53 am

Posting for easier tracking of this in the future.
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

Questions
Mutters to Themself

How it began...

Post by Questions » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:57 pm

Rigel groaned and held his head as he began to sit up...what happened? He couldn't see anything in the darkness and it smelled terrible, like something rotten. Where was he, what was going on? The last few days were a blur in his head, his thoughts jumbled. He had put together a group to explore a local mound that he thought might be a burial tomb...he'd been right. There were ancient valuables, trinkets and treasures in the main burial chamber, He'd thought he'd found the easiest money there could be only a three hour walk from Sleepyoak. Then--Rigel's eyes shot open in the darkness and his ears strained at the sound of something nearby crumbling--He remembered the torches sputtering out and something attacking them in the darkness. Something hissed and was moving through the darkness towards him. Rigel reached to his hip and felt the bayonet that was still there...

In another room Absculian stirred from his own stupor and tried to draw his sword, but it wasn't there. He reached for the dagger he kept in his boot and drew it. His shoulder hurt, and he reached for it. He could feel the tears in his flesh from where something had bit him. Something truly dangerous was in here, and he wasn't sure why it wouldn't of killed him. It sure wasn't out of kindness though, he knew that. He sat up in the darkness, but couldn't see anything.

Hummingbird was standing on a torch sconce near the treasure they had all found, scared and crying. Everything had happened so fast! After the torches went out something had run out of the darkness at them, she'd heard Rigel fire his gun, there'd been a moment of fighting back, but they hit so hard and then there had just been murder. She remembered hearing someone beg for mercy before it was cut short, and she had heard someone else dying, gasping and gurgling on their own blood. She'd fired her crossbow, for all the good it did, and then just flown straight up and found a place to hide.
Last edited by Questions on Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:15 am

Rigel lifts the bayonet, pointing it towards the source of the hissing. He tries to slowly stand up to lessen the amount of skin it could reach easily from the ground. With one of his feet, he tries to feel the torch. If he finds it he will grab it quickly.
If the hissing comes very close our sounds like it might jump at him, he will wave the bayonet frantically, hoping to cut whatever it is. He thinks the most reasonable source would be a snake. If he manages to get the torch, he will try to beat the snake with it and the cut it. (Depending on what is longer, the torch or the bayonet).

"Everybody ok?" he asks into the darkness.

Cliche: Trying to use outdoorman/hunter against the snake.

OOC: Does he have something to light the torch again? Like a lighter or matches?
:zzz:

Questions
Mutters to Themself

Post by Questions » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:36 am

Rigel was about to yell out to see if everyone was alright, but the wumping sound of a large foot stopped him. this thing that was hissing at him was far to big to be a snake....he brought himself to a crouch and whatever was in the darkness heard him scuffing against the earth. All sound stopped for a moment, then Rigel heard it charge at him, scrambling accross the earth!

(OOC: Yes. Rigel has a flint and steel, some tender, and a hatchet. Absculian has a flint and steel and the clothes on his back.)

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:54 am

Rigel tries to dodge the incoming thing, trying to cut it's leg or foot, depending how large it was, while he dashed forward, flanking it. When he manages to get behind it, he tries to stab it once with the bayonet before backing up again.

Cliche: Soldier, trying to fight.

OOC: Does he see a light somewhere? Can he hear how large the tunnel/room is basing on the echo and sounds?

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:16 am

Hummingbird will pull herself together and look around the room in the relative darkness, trying to make sure she's not about to fly down into a trap. She readies her crossbow and squints down at the room.

Fairy 2 - hoping Windlings can see in the dark, can't remember from Earthdawn if they get low light or anything :/

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:17 am

Absculain makes some light with his magic.
"I hope I can use this without my sword... It's just a simple spell..."

Cliche: Magic for making a light spell.

"Anyone can hear me? Hello?" He yells, either if the spell worked or not.
► Show Spoiler

Questions
Mutters to Themself

Turn 1

Post by Questions » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:58 pm

As Rigel tries to dodge around the thing coming at him he hears a scratching that that must have been it jumping. He stabs directly forward and the thing impales itself on his bayonet. Arms grab at him, and a sharp nails on the end of slimy fingers scratch at his face. He shoves the thing to the floor on his knife and gives a strong stomp on its head with his boot. With a squishy sound it cracks, a bit too easily, and a rotten smell fills the air so thick it makes him gag. Rigel almost wretches, but manages to hold it back. When he stomped he noticed that the sound of the room felt too small, and nothing about this was right. Confused, he feels around in the darkness until he steps on something...A torch! It's definitely not the one he came into this place with, and the wood feels brittle and old. He'll take anything at this point, though, and picks it up. "God save me," he thinks, "What the devil have I gotten myself into?"
► Show Spoiler
In a different room Absculian focuses on making his dagger glow. With the pain in his head and the loss of his gem for focusing his spells he's surprised just how hard a simple spell is. That's not supposed to be that hard... Light fills the room, bright and harsh to his eyes. This is not where he came in, and he is alone. The room appears to be a tomb, there are holes in the wall where the dead have been laid, but some of them are empty. There is a hallway of sorts, a tunnel leading somewhere. On the ceiling there is a hole that looks like it has a stone or something rolled over it. He wonders if he was tossed down here from there. "Hello! Can anyone hear me?" There is no response except for his echo.
► Show Spoiler
Hummingbird gives herself a small slap on the face. "C'mon, Hummingbird! This isn't the time for this! It's not helping." She takes a deep breath and squints and listens. She doesn't see any movement in the darkness, and she's pretty sure she heard all the attackers leave. At any rate, she can't hear any thing in here but her own heartbeat and breathing. After carefully loading her crossbow she cautiously flits down to the floor, the sound of her wings deafening in the quiet room. She doesn't see anyone down here, either, but can make out the forms she's sure are her dead companions.
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Questions on Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Re: An Adventure Begun Badly... (Registration open)

Post by nikohl » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:15 am

After reassuring herself that she's mostly alone, Hummingbird will click on her torch headlamp for a few seconds, looking over the corpses in front of her. She stares sadly at them for a moment or two, then shakes her head and begins checking their pockets and packs for anything she can make use of. They won't be needing it any more.

Nerre
Game Master

Re: An Adventure Begun Badly... (Registration open)

Post by Nerre » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:37 am

Rigel tries to light the torch and then find the one he had, since he doesn't expect the old one to burn as long and bright. If he spots no other enemies, he will shout for his teammembers. "Can anybody hear me? Hello?". He will take a look at the monster, trying to see what it is. If the monster wears clothes or has pockets, he will check if there is something inside. If it has any kind of weapon or jewellry, he will take it and anaylze it. If not, he will try to find tracks to determine where he came from. He not only looks sideways, but also up. If he finds nothing but a dark corridor, the hunter of the old school collects a trophy, by cutting the sharp nails of the monster. If it is not humanoid, he will also try to collect it's fangs. "You won't take a Brimley down that easy, beast!"

Questions
Mutters to Themself

Re: An Adventure Begun Badly... (Recruiting, Turn 2)

Post by Questions » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:49 pm

Hummingbird reaches up and clicks on the light on her miner's helmet. She looks at the bodies of her companions in shock, clicks her light off and almost hyperventilates in the darkness. She doesn't know any of them, adventurers from out of town, but the way they died was horrible! A few of them had their bodies littered with spears, and she was almost standing in a pool of blood, the nearest body just a few feet in front of her. She clicked her light back on and looked at the face of the man in front of her...it had been caved in with a club, and most of the teeth were broken. Hummingbird shuddered and began rummaging through his pack looking for anything useful. 20 minutes and 3 bodies later she'd found three healing potions, each in a vial 3 inches long, and had strapped them to her back around the battery device that powered her stun rod. Not everyone is here...should she look for the others?

Rigel Pulled his flint and steel from his belt and it hissed as he struck it several times to light the old torch. It burned brightly, but he could tell it wouldn't be long before it burned himself out. After his eyes adjusted to the new light he looked around the room. It was a tomb with several small alcoves that had ancient bodies buried in them, dry, dusty and fragile. Several of them were nothing but dust. There was no sign of another enemy... "Hello! Can anyone hear me?" There was a hallway leading away. He looked up and saw that the ceiling had a large hole in it with what appeared to be a stone rolled over it, then he finally glanced down at what he had fought, and flinched. It looked like it was once human, and was wearing the wool jacket of a soldier's uniform, but it's fingers ended in sharp claws and its mouth was full of canine teeth. He took out his hatchet and easily chopped a clawed finger off the thing...it's flesh was rotten, as though it had died weeks ago. "You won't take Brimley down that easily, beast."

Absculian gathered his wits and started down the hallway leading away from this room when he heard a yell, barely discernible and garbled with the echo of this place. He started to walk more quickly toward the direction he had heard it. He was sure that if he'd still been in the other room he wouldn't have heard it at all, it could be a long ways off, or just a ways away depending on how the tunnel here twisted about. As he stepped past another section of ancient bodies an old, dried hand reached from its burial place and grabbed his arm!

Nerre
Game Master

Re: An Adventure Begun Badly... (Recruiting, Turn 1)

Post by Nerre » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:44 pm

"Gross" Rigel curses.
Then he tries to find any clues how old the grave was and who build it, so he might get an idea where he was. (using archeologist cliche)
After that he will follow the hallway, picking up any torches or lamps he finds (if any) on the way. "This, have to lead somewhere. Maybe not out, cause then nobody would have put effort into blocking the entrance, but let's see. ANYBODY HERE?" he shouts again, hoping to find some of his team members. He is carefull about traps, since he knows there might be, depending on the clues about who build the grave. (archeologist cliche again).

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:09 am

Hummingbird is pleased that she found potions, even if they were found on dead bodies who clearly didn't have a chance to use them. Maybe she will be luckier. She flies around the bodies and blood in search of a door, wary of shouting to see if she finds any of her allies in case she also draws monsters to her location. She will look for anything suspicious to her eyes, that could be a trap or hidden door.

(Mad Inventor 3 for spotting rigged traps or mechanisms, etc)

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:52 am

"Whaa!" Absuclian shouts in fear, he tries to cut the hand that grasped him as quickly as he can with his dagger.
► Show Spoiler

Questions
Mutters to Themself

Turn 3

Post by Questions » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:31 pm

► Show Spoiler
Rigel holds the torch above him as he walks down the tunnel twisting away from the room he was left in to die. The light from the torch dances along the walls, making the dusty bones in their alcoves look eerie and almost as though their moving. "Hello? Anybody here?" Almost as if to answer him someone screams from nearby!

Absculian swings his dagger down at the arm grabbing at him and the bones crack with a splintering noise! He pulls away from it as the other hand reaches out and a creaky, crumbling corpse pulls itself from his alcove and begins to crawl to its feet. He hears something else nearby as two other corpses pull crawl from their holes and begin to creakily shamble towards him.

Hummingbird looks around the room in the light of her lamp...It looks like it might have once been a feasthall, but past the table in the far side of the room she can see some kind of sarcophagus. She flits into the air to get a better look, and as she looks around the room she can see valuable objects: gold cups, jewelry, weapons, and some thing she doesn't recognize. Off at the far end of the room she can see a tunnel that seems to lead down, and in front of it she sees an obvious trap...a tripwire with pieces of metal attached to it. A noisemaker. Not exactly high tech here...

Character sheets
.[tabs:Rigel Brimsley]Cliche's remain the same: Soldier 2, hunter 2, "Acheologist" 1
Inventory
  • Bayonet
  • shirt
  • pants
  • jacket
  • flint and steel
  • tinder
  • hatchet
  • lit torch
[tabs:Absculian]Cliche's remain the same: Soldier 2, Mage 2.
Inventory
  • Flint and steel
  • Dagger: glowing
  • shirt
  • pants
  • jacket
  • healing potion (1 use)
[tabs:Hummingbird]Cliche's remain the same. Mad inventor 3, fairy 2, Archer 1
Inventory
  • Crossbow
  • bolts for crossbow
  • Miner's helmet with magic powered lamp
  • magic powered stun stick (3 charges)
  • 3 potions
[/tabs][/spoiler]
Last edited by Questions on Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Re: Re: An Adventure Begun Badly... (Recruiting, Turn 3)

Post by nikohl » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:03 am

Hummingbird will fly to the trap and attempt to disable it and harvest the wire for her own future use. If she succeeds she will loop the wire up and tie it to her pack. If she fails and makes a noise, she will fly up and out of sight of the tunnel.

(Inventor to disable trap, Fairy to evade if she fails)

I'mBob
Game Master

Re: An Adventure Begun Badly... (Recruiting, Turn 3)

Post by I'mBob » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:57 am

"Well shit." Absculain says, using his dagger to stab the corpse that is near him.

"I don't think I can fight for long against these things... not without my sword..." He thinks to himself.
► Show Spoiler

Questions
Mutters to Themself

Re: An Adventure Begun Badly... (Recruiting, Turn 3)

Post by Questions » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:26 pm

Just waiting on Nerre...Sorry I was gone for a few days, internet cut out and I had some trouble getting it to work right.

Nerre
Game Master

Re: Re: An Adventure Begun Badly... (Recruiting, Turn 3)

Post by Nerre » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:25 pm

Rigel runs to the screams nearby, I think it will be either a case for Soldier if he gets to the person or Acheologist if he cannot get to it. (opening door and so on)

Sorry for being so late, forgot to add the game to my signature so I did not check it. :( Shame on me.

Questions
Mutters to Themself

Turn 4

Post by Questions » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:25 pm

Hearing the scream Rigel takes off at a running pace! If any of his companions are left alive in here he needs to save them...They will all need each other to get out of this alive.

Absculian wastes no time driving his dagger through the skull of the nearest corpse. It's head shatters into dust, and it's limbs flail for a moment before dropping to the floor. He turns to face his two other attackers and holds his glowing dagger at them, and they pause for a moment and pull the weapons they were buried with from their tombs...spears, long and threatening in the tightness of this tomb. Absculian begins to really miss his sword...One of them makes a makes a vicious lunge at Absculian, but he bends backwards barely getting himself out of the way of the jab. The other hisses viciously at him and prepares to stab Absculian while he is off balance; just as he is preparing to thrust a long blade explodes from his chest! Rigel tosses the torch in his other hand at the other corpse and it begins to catch fire...it barely notices and Begins squaring up to charge Absculian. With all the strength he has Rigel grabs a hold of the creature trying to pull itself off of his Bayonet and kill him.

Hummingbird flits down to the tripwire and grins at its's shoddy workmanship...something that might catch a big, oafish man or someone who wasn't smart or careful, but that's not her in the least. She easily snips the wire that the metal plates are tied to the main wire with and removes the plates, then snips both ends and wraps the wire around herself like a girlde. She'd carried wire like this many times; half of the devices she made were for men, afterall, who are so much bigger than her. The tunnel slopes downward, and she can hear the crackling of fire somewhere down in the darkness.
► Show Spoiler
Character sheets
.[tabs:Rigel Brimsley]Cliche's remain the same: Soldier 2, hunter 2, "Acheologist" 1
Inventory
  • Bayonet
  • shirt
  • pants
  • jacket
  • flint and steel
  • tinder
  • hatchet
[tabs:Absculian]Cliche's remain the same: Soldier 2, Mage 2.
Inventory
  • Flint and steel
  • Dagger: glowing
  • shirt
  • pants
  • jacket
  • healing potion (1 use)
[tabs:Hummingbird]Cliche's remain the same. Mad inventor 3, fairy 2, Archer 1
Inventory
  • Crossbow
  • bolts for crossbow
  • Toolbelt
  • Miner's helmet with magic powered lamp
  • magic powered stun stick (3 charges)
  • 3 potions
[/tabs]

Nerre
Game Master

Re: An Adventure Begun Badly... (Recruiting, Turn 4)

Post by Nerre » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:57 pm

"Use your magic to feed the fire, more oxygen will cause it to burn faster and hotter!"
Rigel changes his strategy, and tries to trip the corpse by shoving forwards with the bayonet still stuck inside it (if possible right into the burning one), then suddenly he let's go and grabs his hatched, while the corpse is still stumbling back. He then tries to bash it's skull, if necessary grab the bayonet again with the other hand so he got some more controll over the corpse. That is, if the bayonet is still stuck inside. If he manages to take it down, He will hurry to help Absculian so he does not get burned from the incinerated corpse.

Surprise: I am using a soldier cliche on this action. ;)

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:04 am

Hummingbird advances down the tunnel with care, watching for any more traps that might be awaiting her in the shadows, and keeping her ears open for any sound of the inhabitants who set the wire trap.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:34 am

Suggested action for Absculian:

Try to avoid the charge of the burning corpse at any cost, try casting an illusion of yourself not moving with magic so it might run straight into a wall and take itself out of the battle. Use the illusion to get out of the way of the charge.

Since I don't want to be the one to blame if Bobs char is harmed, I tried to come up with this passive move. Hope he likes it when he comes back from holidays.