Sidus Diabola - Game Thread

Home to all current Forum Games.
BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Sidus Diabola - Game Thread

Post by BeanDip » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:33 pm

8:47 - Day Cycle, December 6th
Fourth Level, Outer Ring, Break Room 10
Diabola is never silent. Even in the furthest corners of the ship you can hear the arguments of prisoners, the hum of machinery or the conversations of staff. Here though, in Break Room 10, things are a little quieter as people begin, end or take a break from their shifts.

The room itself is fairly large and plainly painted in an offwhite. A few uncomfortable tables and chairs sit in the center and a large projection on the wall plays the International News Network twenty-four hours a day.

On the far left side of the room is a large counter where several machines brew hot pots of coffee and some racks that hold complimentary food like fresh fruits, muffins and bagels. ThereÔÇÖs several vending machines against the back wall for sodas and snacks. Off to the right are the restroom doors.

The night cycle was uneventful and now, as the day cycle begins, everyone is preparing for another boring day.
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by BeanDip on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

T-RexWithTourettes
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: TrexWithTourettes

Re: Sidus Diabola - Game Thread

Post by T-RexWithTourettes » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:16 pm

Joel Caule, is sitting as far away from everyone else as he can manage with a hard chair still under him, supporting him upright as he nurses a bottle of cheap whiskey. None of that crap in the machines, just something to kickstart another painful day.
Although it was 8 in the morning and most people had already worked a good couple hours, he had just woken up, and missed his first few at the Communications Department. He wasn't particularly looking forward to getting chewed out by his boss for the third day in a row, and wished he could waste a few extra minutes doing something enjoyable. It wasn't late enough to prowl for women to harass, and definitely not late enough to have had enough drinks to stand the International News Network. Blearily blinking at the newscasters rambling on about unemployment rates, he decided he really should head over to his work sometime or rather.
Nah. Five more minutes should be fine.
Last edited by T-RexWithTourettes on Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am high in fructose.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:40 pm

Martin sits toward the middle of the room, struggling to bring a muffin to his mouth without mashing it across himself, and unwilling to touch a cup of coffee. Yet again, his medicine had run out, the shaking had returned, and he was being denied access to the new batch, with claims of their late arrival, though he knew there would be supplies aboard the station. Almost punching himself with muffin in hand, Martin resigns himself to a day of hunger, dropping the muffin to the table and forcing his arms down to his sides, with no small amount of difficulty.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:00 pm

*kthunk*

Pulling the can of soda from the vending machine and nabbing a muffin along the way, Miles headed back over to one of the corner tables. Settling down in one of the seats, he pulled a pager from his pocket and glanced over the display. Mile was on-duty, yet, for the first time since he'd started working, wasn't actually needed for anything. He'd spent the better part of an hour waiting in CompTech; and while the senior techs had their own projects they were attending to, Miles' boss finally got fed up with him hovering around and told him to go somewhere. Anywhere would be fine. And if they needed him, they'd page him.

Putting away the pager, he opened the can of soda with a single practiced movement of his hand, then leaned back a bit and took a sip. Pulling out his smartphone, he checked the time, then pulled up an fantasy novel e-book and started reading. As he did, though, he couldn't help but notice the man sitting in a secluded corner. Glancing up, he saw the whiskey bottle he was holding, and also realized he'd seen him around a few times; most recently, when fixing a datapad down in communications. '...it's a little early to start drinking, isn't it? Wonder what his problems are... wait, he's not going to be going to work drunk, is he?' He thought to himself.

Quickly averting his eyes from the drunkard (he realized he was staring), he instead wound up landing his focus on the man across from him at an adjacent table who... just punched himself with a muffin. Blinking at the sight a couple times, it took him another second before his shaking hands made it clear it wasn't deliberate. "Sir? Are you okay? Do you need a medic?" Miles asked, his eyes wide with alarm.
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:20 pm

Martin looks up at the voice, knowing that he's is likely the person of focus, as he often is for such concerns. Putting on a slight smile, he silently curses his arms and replies, "Oh, I'm alright, happens all the time. My arms and I are having a minor disagreement about who is in control of this body, and right now they seem to have the lead..."

Realising how crazy that sounds, Martin stumbles to recover what show of normality he can, "Oh, er, that was a joke. I ran out of medication, and can't get my arms under control without it. Yet somehow, the heads of this station never give me access to more for a day or so after I run out."
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:56 pm

Felix was sat with her back to the vid screen, uninterested in the news and doing her best to tune out the loud, unaccented drone of the newscaster. Instead she poked lamely at a number puzzle in a large puzzle book, not really filling it in so much as doodling along the lines and squares. A good strong coffee sat cooling on the table next to her and her usual oat muffin and banana were set next to it, still in their cellophane wrapping.

She looked up as she heard Martin speak. "Sorry, I don't mean to eavesdrop... But if you bring me a Requisition Form 48-C I could probably expedite things. I don't think we're out of stock and in cases where a staff member's ability to work is compromised I can dispense a week's worth of most medications before Head Office approval forms are checked."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:31 am

"Oh? Nobody ever mentioned being able to skip this torture. Though I suppose mostly it would be because there's no chance of filling out a form in any legible manner while I'm in this condition... And because they like to see the arguments caused by my accidentally throwing the complimentary food at people." Martin grins, remembering the chaos that had erupted within the break room last time he had run out of meds, "With that in mind, I think next time I run low I'llbe filling out a form before I get to this stage. Thank you for the advice."
My game:

My characters:

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:38 am

"You know how it is - barely-Human Resources won't go out of their way to tell you things like that! Maybe I'll see you at the dispensary later, I'm on shift. Good luck with your muffin!" She grins, but in a kind way - not intending to spare the man from a gentle joke just because he's got a condition, no need or intent to coddle a grown man. That's how it is, everyone treated the same.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:43 am

The people inside the break room can see a person outside since somebody left the door open. A maintenance crew member in a dirty overall walks into the showers, his helmet still on. He looks a bit short but has broad shoulder, seems to be strong enough to do the job After a few minutes he steps out again, his overall and helmet now clean again. He turns his head to look into the break room, but he does not enter yet, but head into the toilet on the opposite site of the showers, while he takes off his helmet.
"A break" he mutters, watching the people inside with some envy. "What luxury. I am already lucky to have enough time to go to a toilet." he continues until the toilet door cuts off his words.

OOC: I am on holidays from 27th to 30th this month. In case I miss something just let my char stay in the toilet a bit longer.
:zzz:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:00 am

Hurrying into the break room carrying an armful of papers and a rather large textbook, Eva can't help but overhear the conversation between Felix & Martin...

"No-one ever mentioned it because it's a violation of the medical code of practice AND the prison rules. You can't just give drugs out willy nilly on a prison ship, no matter who it's to. But if you pop by the Sick Bay some time we can sort you out AND do it by the book."

With a pointed look at Felix, and without bothering to wait for a reply from either of them, Eva bustles on to the coffee machine grabbing a bagel and a muffin on the way past. She's technically off-shift now, since she's been put on the night cycle this week, but she's got at least a few hours of studying to put in before she can sleep for a bit and then go back to work. As long as there's coffee, it's not too bad.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:33 am

"In the case of an existing diagnosed condition with an ongoing prescription, and with the correct paperwork, I can and will dispense. Within prison rules, within pharmacy code." Felix replied, more to herself than Eva, continuing her puzzle/doodle unfazed. "Not everything is black and white. But I suppose watching a man struggle to eat or drink and telling him to come back later is about right, for the medical profession. All rules and books, no common sense. Hmmm." She muses to herself, filling in a number and clicking her pen.

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:01 am

Alan spent his break as he usually did: Sitting alone in a corner, eating a sandwich and reading some novel on his tablet. He was glad he finally had a break, planning transport routes and checking shipment lists was so tedious and boring he almost considered quitting. He took a quick glance around the room: He had seen some of staff here before ,but didn't really know them.

The loud conversation between the other staff members sparked his interest however, and was a welcome distraction from his brooding. He listened intently, taking care not to draw attention to himself.
► Show Spoiler

kurik
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by kurik » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:28 am

Big Mike almost runs into the break room, his tool belt jangling. He gets a cup of bad coffee and chugs it faster than you's think possible. "Stupid station corridors, all look alike in the morning." He grumbles to himself, patting his pockets until he finds his glasses, puts them on, and checks the news until his shift starts in a few minutes. He's late enough that there's no point in sitting down, so he doesn't bother. "I really wish they'd put more maps up, but nooo, it'd be to 'Dangerous' in case of a riot."
► Show Spoiler

T-RexWithTourettes
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: TrexWithTourettes

Post by T-RexWithTourettes » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:02 pm

Joel covers up his ears as best as he can, his bloodshot eyes looking off at the floor, unfocused, as he fightts a silent battle with a headache. He was drinking so early as he was trying to ease off a slight hangover from the night before, but his flask was nearing empty and he was still on edge. All the lights were too bright. Every sound was becoming a nuisance. And these eggheads blathering about some guy's "condition" wasn't helping in the slightest.
Finally, he couldn't help himself. "Can you all shut your traps?!" he burst out. "Jesus..."
Doing his best to ignore the stares from all the people he just hollered at, he finished off his flask's contents and fumbled with the cap. Deciding he'd screw it on later, he jammed it in his pocket, the spare drops trickling down his leg. Should he walk out? Go to work? Go back home, and try using one of his nonexistent sick days? He knew these people hated him, but he could care less. The feeling was mutual. Walking out seemed like the best idea. He wasn't in the mood for all of this. Joel pushed himself up from his chair, and began lumbering out of the room. Along the way, he accidentally bumped into the chick with the Medical Bay uniform. Her coffee then took flight, the scalding liquid landing on her feet.
She looks tired...maybe she needed that?
Joel mentally shrugged. Tough.
I am high in fructose.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:42 pm

"oh for frick... Watch where you're going!"

Eva sighs and pours herself another coffee, glad at least that it didnt explode her notebook and ruin her notes for the night.

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:29 pm

The conversations in the breakroom go suddenly silent as darkness falls upon every inch of the ship. Not a normal darkness, like when they dim the lights for the night cycle, but a new and total darkness. The projector flips off, the hum of the vending machines winds down and the coffee pots stop brewing. Communication radios spark to static and then fade out entirely. Nothing moves in the perfect silence.

You've all been briefed on this. In the event of a power outage the backup generators kick on within three seconds and Diabola goes back to full power. The seconds tick by like eons. One. Two. Three.

Something is wrong.

One. Two. Three.

Something is very wrong.

One. Two. Three.

Click.

Lights flood the station again but very different this time. The light is a deep red. The Riot Light. A short, recorded warning plays over the telecom:

"Attention all personnel. Please stay where you are or move to a designated safety area within the ship. All visiting civilians should move to the evacuation checkpoint immediately."

All nonessential machines stay offline and from further within the station you hear shouting and what you think is gunfire. It sounds unusually close though, much closer than the cellblocks. It almost sounds like it's coming from within the staff hallways.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:27 am

"Well that's not good..." Felix looks around for a few moments, taking note of the familiar break room objects in their new red lighted environment. She picks up her coffee and downs it in one swift glug - no point wasting it - and stuffs her banana and muffin in the pockets of her pharmacy coat. She looks to the other people in the room and shrugs. "So.... Designated safety area, or...?"

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:44 am

"Shit! What is going on now? Come on, we'd better move and ive got to check in with the sickbay..."

Eva checks her pager out of habit and pockets her electronic notepad (like a mini tablet) and checks around the room for a phone.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:52 am

"That gunfire is too close. I would much prefer to not be here if it should reach this point, fun as some think it is to get involved as a real gunfight." Martin gets up and makes his way to the door, peering around the corner toward the gunfire. After confirming there is nobody there, he takes off at a jog in the opposite direction.
My game:

My characters:

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:13 am

"G-gunfight?" Miles stammers, picking his smartphone up off the ground. When the power outage hit, he had knocked it off the table; he'd then spent the entirety of the blackout shuffling about on the ground, desperately trying to find it, and he still didn't quite have his nerves back yet. "But how... what... how did this happen?" He asks, the gravity of the situation not having fully sunk in yet. Picking himself up off the floor, he glances at the door, watching Martin bolt, looking uncertain as to whether to run or to stay put.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:19 am

"Well I'm not staying here on my own if y'all are moving. Sick Bay might not be the safest place but it might still have power, and the people will need checking on, like you say."

Felix jogs over to the complimentary food racks, upends a trash can to get all the empty packets and peels out, and sweeps all the packaged muffins, fruits etc into the can. She ties a knot in the garbage bag now containing food, and hoists it over her shoulder. "If we're going to be sat waiting for this to blow over, might take all day...we'll want food. I wish the vending machine worked, those bottles of water and juice would be nice..."

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:17 am

When the lights went out, Alan struggled to stay calm. Theres nothing to worry about. He thought to himself. It's just another blackout, and there's no one here except the other staff.

When the light finally went on again and he heard the anouncement, he panicked a bit but didn't let it show. He did what he always did and hid his true feelings behind a mask of arrogance and indifference.

Alan looks at the other staff who argue about whether to stay here or get to the safety area. He really doesn't want to talk to them, but this is clearly an emergency. Mustering up all the courage he has he cooly says, "If this really is a riot, we should stick together and get to the safety area. I don't think were safe here and going alone is too dangerous."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:20 am

"I'm not sure we're going to need ALL the food in the canteen, but whatever. Anyway, if you're coming to sickbay with me I'd appreciate the company. No sense splitting up if we don't have to... Urgh, I can sense this is going to be a long bloody day with no coffee and no bloody hope of getting these case notes written up before my next shift... God. All in a day's work huh?"

Eva heads to the door, still clutching her paperwork and scans the corridor. She also pauses to remember the way to the sickbay AND to the Safety Zone*

------------------------------

*I guess this is a knowledge check so I can know what Eva knows about the whereabouts of the sickbay.
** Also, Eva will do whatever it is that the regulations say she has to do, so it would be useful to know what they say (i.e. whether she is meant to go to the Safe Zone or to Sickbay)
Last edited by thinkslogically on Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:39 am

"Your patients and coworkers, who you care deeply about I'm sure, might be a little peckish too." Felix grins and moves over to the door behind Eva.

"Probably best to keep quiet here on in, guys. If anyone's really out and about, we don't want to advertise ourselves." She drops her voice to a whisper as soon as the door is opened.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:18 am

"Wait for me!" Miles hurried to catch up with the trio at the door, not wanting to be left behind.