The Nexus (Ooc)

Home to all current Forum Games.
Mytical
Mutters to Themself

The Nexus (Ooc)

Post by Mytical » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:09 pm

Welcome to the Nexus. Where the entire multiverse comes to a convergent point. It is home to the IDP (inter dimensional police) department. Their ongoing job is to prevent unauthorized cross overs between dimensions, especially of the criminal sort (smuggling, drugs, etc). Since this is an entire multiverse, literally anything is possible. Sword wielding elves work side by side with Artificially Intelligent robotic beings. Time is relative, in the nexus the past present and future exists at once. Dimensions can be anything. From a dimension of floating jellyfish, to a dimension where EVERYBODY has super powers of some sort. Very little will be turned down, but weaknesses must exist, and I will have final say if the character is allowed.

There are endless numbers of overlapping universes, and you might encounter a dimension where gravity is gravy *chuckles*. Each character will be 'recruited' into the IDP, and there will be a lot of freeform allowed. Keep in mind that once a dimension has been named and described it stays the same from then on. However since there are unlimited numbers, there should be little issue. Dimensions 1 (OUR dimension), 777, 999, and Dimension 0 (the Nexus) are already reserved. Just remember the rules of the dimensions may be completely different from our own. Your powers, form, etc might change when you go into a dimensions (and then back when you leave).

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Re: The Nexus (Ooc)

Post by BadgeAddict » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:21 pm

What is the objective?

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:27 pm

You say that all characters will be 'recruited' into the IDP. Does this mean conscription? Or voluntary service?

Do our character have to have some policing (count that as anything remotely criminal justice related) background or can my immovable stone plumber from the dimension of really smelly socks be recruited? What would cause a non 'police' type character to be recruited in the first place? This look very cool but I'd like to see it fleshed out a little more.

Also, as a GM, with all this variety how will you balance the challenges to be fair to all players? Consider a group that contains a talking dog detective, a sailor moon-esque magical girl, a literal angel of heaven who can only be harmed by Hellcraft weapons, a shapeshifting psychic and a living mushroom golem with a hive mind.

How will you create challenges that makes everyone useful and equal when everyone is so different.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

Mytical
Mutters to Themself

Post by Mytical » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:00 pm

Fair questions. As for recruitment, it will be voluntary. Not everybody can cross dimensions. Those who can give off an 'energy' that the IDP can pick up. Which is how they are tracked down and given the opportunity. As for police background, none is needed, and in fact no prior experience would prepare somebody for the IDP. It would be like a security officer of a warehouse being recruited into Interpol. Guarding that warehouse would not really prepare them for the job. Which is why those who wished to join would be partnered with somebody to show them the job.

It is ok for anybody to turn down the job offer, keeping in mind that any time they crossed dimensions they would then have to be on the 'run' from the IDP. Which is rather difficult when their very bodies would give off the equivalent of a GPS for the IDP to track down. Not impossible to do, but they would be considered criminals. Of course the multiverse is huge, and the IDP only have so many members..so they might go years without even seeing the IDP.

As for why they would be approached in the first place.. the first In character posting would cover that, but basically the gist is going to be that there is a 'first'.
The first time where an 'avatar' of death has crossed dimensions (each dimension having their own version of death), and the characters are going to be asked to do the impossible. Find a way to stop that particular avatar of death. Think of it as a mafia don who has managed to cross dimensions and is currently recruiting to set up something like an 'Anti-IDP'. Of course even after it is stopped, there are a lot of bad things going on in the multiverse..so the game would not end there.

As for balance. It would be near impossible to make every case where every person would have equal value, that is true. However, keep in mind there is a near endless variety of cases also. Some might require deep thinking and involve no fighting, some might be in a dimension that everybody is trying to kill them.

So, the ultimate enemy (death)..in a very flexible setting (you might be trying to slay dragons, or being a diplomat to an intergalactic spacefaring battle hamsters). The possibilities are endless. Sort of like MoM only on a MUCH wider scale.

Also, I will not ok every character. Like the angel would be out. Simply because while I am very flexible game breaking characters (Deus Ex Machina) would not be in the best interest of the game. Is it fair? Perhaps not, but then would it be fair to others to let somebody have such a character?

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:17 pm

So will each player have unique cases to them and their NPC partner or will we all travel in a big group on a single, united mission?
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

Mytical
Mutters to Themself

Post by Mytical » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:25 pm

Yes. *chuckles* It all depends on the situation and the players. Each would be given assignments, but if two characters want to team up (or more) then that would be ok also. I am not going to say "Nope, no group cases". And the NPC's are just to train the players, once they are no longer rookies..each character could go out on their own.

Jacqueline
Remains Silent

Post by Jacqueline » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:48 am

I read it. From the description, I'm not seeing lots of choice in the game. Either you have the points to take one of the path cards, or you don't. Also, it bugs me slightly that the cooperative nature of the novels is redirected into this competative mismash. And by mismash I mean the odd combination of things that can help you win, including various evils (defeated I supposed, but along the way you also use them to help you win). So, the game play was useful to me in that I now think I don't want to own the game. FWIW, I own the cooperative boardgame.

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:21 am

This thread has been inactive for well over a year. Welcome to the forum Jacqueline, but please try to look at the dates that a thread was last posted in! I am closing this thread.
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!