Raptor at Heart - OoC discussion/chat

Home to all current Forum Games.
Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Re: Raptor at Heart - OoC discussion/chat

Post by Mereneth » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:55 am

kurik wrote:I think they mean using fictional battles/groups rather than ones that had actually happened/existed, not them both having served at the same time. At least that's how I read it.

Of course, I'm barely sobering up right now, so I could be wrong.

Thats right. Like saying 'We were in athens when the bombs started"

I could make a spoiler tag to include the actual era for dinos not belonging to the cretaceous naturally.

kurik
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by kurik » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:25 am

Fun fact that really doesn't have to do with anything, I'm just sleep deprived:

The time between when Stegosaurus and T. Rex lived is longer than the time between T. Rex and now.

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:38 am

Yeah, that popped up on reddit the other day. Saved me from needing to research if I could use them if I only stuck to a Cretaceous dino set xD

I had a thought on content posts/larger updates. I'm debating making them two part-ish. The first post would contain the big situation or what have you. The second would 'complete' the content and relate to your responses and actions before turning over further posts to more minor changes and npc actions.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:38 am

kurik wrote:Fun fact that really doesn't have to do with anything, I'm just sleep deprived:

The time between when Stegosaurus and T. Rex lived is longer than the time between T. Rex and now.
So you're telling me that "The Land Before Time" was not correct? That can't be true.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

kurik
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by kurik » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:42 am

SamWiser wrote:
kurik wrote:Fun fact that really doesn't have to do with anything, I'm just sleep deprived:

So you're telling me that "The Land Before Time" was not correct? That can't be true.
While an important part of my childhood, TLBT was wrong about almost everything.

And in other news, being awake for 24 hours makes playing "crazy dino" pretty easy. :lol:

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:11 am

I think it is essential to increase your chances of survival in this brutal world.

I'm selflessly sharing a good method to do so! Check this linky!

Okay, in all seriousness this is an old game made for DOS, I played a ton with it when I was younger. :D
Quick game description:
► Show Spoiler
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:22 am

I kind of want to post, but I think more is being written. *shuffles*

I'll look at lunchtime!

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:35 am

nikohl wrote:I kind of want to post, but I think more is being written. *shuffles*

I'll look at lunchtime!
You can go ahead and post. the content hold post is because it is occurring in a pm initially. It isn't a 'nobody post' thing!

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:01 am

I have deleted my post, and i beg your forgiveness....

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:17 am

BadgeAddict wrote:I have deleted my post, and i beg your forgiveness....
Not to worry Badge. Just saving you from certain death before the RP has even gone far xD

I'll follow up the pm post shortly after with the main content post so you can post again [badge].

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:30 pm

Well hell in a handbasket. Hoff is developing much differently than I had planned for him too. This has happened before in my character RPs. I guess I'll just go along with it and see what Hoff becomes.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:56 pm

► Show Spoiler

kurik
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by kurik » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:56 pm

Best way to do it, I figure.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:10 pm

Wait, was Anoki talking to me? I guess putting in the comment of John being absent minded was more correct than I thought it was xD
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:29 pm

Erm... Are some people ignoring Lauren on purpose, or did their respective players/GM miss what she did?

Before the last update, Lauren introduced herself to "zaki" & Brigitte, and while I get it that "zaki" seems to be smitten with Brigitte and Brigitte seems to be primarily interested in food and then the pack leader, and thusly it would makes sense if they both paid no attention to Lauren, yet it would have been nice if anyone had spelled out that the ignoring was done by the raptors and not the people behind the screens. :)

The last update, I wrote that Lauren was trying to catch up with Alex, to stop him from wandering off on his own. I guess I was hoping for a verdict from either the GM or from Alex's player, and I didn't get any. :?
Also, I didn't see any of the NPCs react to Lauren's remark about something being wrong. Was that intentional, or did you overlook it?

Again,please note that I don't mean to complain, I just want to know what's going on. With the mass of text produced, it's rather easy to miss something and/or forget about it when writing up one's own post. I know I still have trouble sorting out the dinos and their respective colors, names and personalities.
But I would really like to know whether or not Lauren managed to catch up with Alex, because that would influence significantly, what she will do next. :shrug:
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

BeanDip

Post by BeanDip » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:03 pm

Davecom3 wrote:Here's a secret. Just because a carnivore is bigger than you, it doesn't mean you can't kill it. Ever seen a small dog attack one quite a bit larger than it. Often, it is the smaller dog that manages to scare off the bigger one.
Well yeah, not really a secret. Raptors killed thing bigger than them all the time although they would typically aim for the old, young, sick or injured when given a choice. Naturally they hunted herbivores almost exclusively but smaller carnivores or omnivores and (maybe as I've heard it) insects were all on the menu. I think there's a big difference though in the small dog scaring the larger one and the small dog killing the larger one.

So it's advantageous that there's a pack of us and that we stay together. Oftentimes packs of hyenas can scare solitary big cats like cheetahs or leopards off their kills and sometimes even lions if the hyenas outnumber the pride. I'm pretty sure we could pull together and perhaps intimidate a bigger carnivore if we stayed in a pack. I wouldn't try killing a T-Rex though, even if it stomped into our camp. The most I'd try is to intimidate it into going away to search for easier prey than a large pack of fanged beasties.

Course in the roleplaying sense everyone will probably freak the hell out and scatter when confronted with an eff-in T-Rex for the first time.

I don't think you need to really use the spoilers in the OOC thread, even if you're not playing. As I understand it everyone is welcome to comment freely in this thread :)
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:12 pm

Sam would be paying attention to Lauren, but he's currently in the process of finding out he is now a girl.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:19 pm

Reason bigger dog is able to be scared/killed is that the little, often quicker dog was able to use position underneath the big dog to go for its throat. At one point, my dog was getting in that position towards a neighborhood dog. Thankfuly, we managed to get the dogs away from each other before it got too serious. I have little doubt that my dog would have done more damage than he took, though.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:38 pm

Gathers - I'm really sorry, I just went back and re-read it, and I honestly didn't see the part where Lauren spoke to Brigitte back near the beginning. I wouldn't have ignored it on purpose, I promise! :(

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:20 pm

GathersIngredients wrote:Erm... Are some people ignoring Lauren on purpose, or did their respective players/GM miss what she did?

Before the last update, Lauren introduced herself to "zaki" & Brigitte, and while I get it that "zaki" seems to be smitten with Brigitte and Brigitte seems to be primarily interested in food and then the pack leader, and thusly it would makes sense if they both paid no attention to Lauren, yet it would have been nice if anyone had spelled out that the ignoring was done by the raptors and not the people behind the screens. :)

The last update, I wrote that Lauren was trying to catch up with Alex, to stop him from wandering off on his own. I guess I was hoping for a verdict from either the GM or from Alex's player, and I didn't get any. :?
Also, I didn't see any of the NPCs react to Lauren's remark about something being wrong. Was that intentional, or did you overlook it?

Again,please note that I don't mean to complain, I just want to know what's going on. With the mass of text produced, it's rather easy to miss something and/or forget about it when writing up one's own post. I know I still have trouble sorting out the dinos and their respective colors, names and personalities.
But I would really like to know whether or not Lauren managed to catch up with Alex, because that would influence significantly, what she will do next. :shrug:
I try to do everything I can to take into account NPC interaction. The reason I didn't respond to Laurens attempt to go after alex was that it seemed to me when i read the post that she changed her mind and had turned around at the forests edge. If you would like to have Lauren pursue Alex and, in turn, Alyssa, you can, but keep in mind upon sending your character out into the trees you're temporarily turning over control of her to me for the sake of the content pm post. You guys will be allowed to respond shortly before the main content post goes live; i'll give you a little time after the pm content to post a reaction in the RP itself before posting the main content. If you can't or don't post a response, np. Your characters won't be negatively impacted by not responding to it.

And yes, 'zaki, as you've taken to calling him [xD] is being rather focused in his attentions at the moment, so that would be why he didn't respond.

As to the lack of NPC response, we've covered Niyazaki. Anoki is miffed and pouting next to Doug. Doug himself was in a chain of conversations and did not overhear Lauren. and....I have completely lost track of what the hell I had Jorge doing as the last thing I can remember is he is rolling around barking out laughter... :oops:

Typically when I give one of you an instinct que, especially one where you're suddenly alert to your surroundings/something about to happen, it is more for you, the players, than the NPCs. If your fellow players choose to ignore it, they might find themselves in trouble! As to the NPCs, you guys are going to end up leading them, and not the other way around. I'll guide you via story content and such.

@Theis2
And yes Anoki was. She even tried to be a little friendly and rubbed up against you.

@Bean
I imagine that difference began when i plunked him in the body of a scrappy 'kid' raptor lol. I knew you'd still get all the glorious character development among other things out of it.

BeanDip

Post by BeanDip » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:27 pm

I know you're writing a novelette beside this, right? Or did I misunderstand you?

Are you using our characters? I assumed you were and you have my permission but I don't want to tell you Hoff is one way and then play him another. Funnily enough, I think that having another soldier there is what is having the biggest effect on him. I think Doug instills a familiar sense of camaraderie and calm in him. It's weird.

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:02 pm

Yeah, I was already working on writing this as a mini novel before i even introduced it as an idea for an RP. Where do you think a lot of this is coming from?

If I were to even use the RP content for it, I won't use anyone's character who doesn't want to be used, of course. Credit would go to each character owner, too. I have no idea if this would make it to some ebook or what have you, though. Didn't think that far ahead. I would probably need to stick solely to personally created content if I wanted to sell it.

I would have to rewrite posts to make it mesh together properly, and not every post would even get included.

Bean, Hoff might find himself reminded even more of his time as a soldier if he sticks with Doug.

BeanDip

Post by BeanDip » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:26 pm

Oh, I perfectly understand that. You have full permission to use Hoff in way you choose, commercial or personal. You don't even have to give me credit or anything :)

I'm thinking that too. I hope Doug is an NPC who survives now, I know most if not all of them will die. :/

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:08 pm

Well, I wrote Lauren tried to catch up with Alex (because she seems to be the only one who realizes the danger of the situation atm.) but that wuold depend on a) how fast/far ahead Alex is (BadgeAddict's decision) and how soon she saw him leave/how fast SHE can move in this clumsy new body. (Ok, so the body is NOT clumsy, but she is not used to it, and that makes it act clumsy. :D ) Which would be the GM's decision.
I also wrote (as a parameter to help make decision) that she was adverse to leaving the packs' sight, and that in THIS case, she would turn back, as not put herself to risk, too.

From what I have seen posted in the main thread, I guess Lauren did turn back to the pack (and while I am kind of glad that she did, from what I am reading there, wouldn't it have been WAY cooler, if she had managed to get to Alex and convince him to turn back in time, that way kind of saving his life? :greenie: ) and is now being addressed by Doug, too. Is that correct/cannon, should I write from there?

I think I understand what you are saying about instinct triggers, but Lauren DID react upon the one she got, as much as she could be expected to in the current situation. She's completely new, both to the pack and to the situation AND on top of that her own body. She doesn't know she can trust it yet, and she certainly isn't too happy risking her own credibility on the - to her - crazy impulses it gives her.
Still, the adrenalin rush made her she speak up, so the more experienced raptors could deal with the situation, if need may be, and they completely ignored it, which kind of gave her the impression that she was probably imagining things.

I'm not cross about anyone ignoring Lauren or what was written by me. It's bound to happen with these walls of text and all that. I just wanted to know if this was IC or OOC ignorance that was happening. ;) :lol:

And yeah, I figured that Sam would be a bit distracted by his new gender. :lol:

EDIT: ok, how about people posting (their char's names and speech) in a color similar to their raptor's coloring? I think it would help my process of sorting all the dinos to their respective players and names and personalities and whatnot along MUCH FASTER.
IIRC, Lauren is sporting some sort of (brown and) green, so I would probably pick this color for her. Would that be ok with everyone, especially the GM?
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:41 pm

► Show Spoiler
i'm fine with color coding posts, but i'm not the best at actually finding the color codes.

The other raptors are barely more experienced. They've only been raptors a few days. Hell, look at the hassle they went to to take down a baby! xD Still, if you were to envision it all happening in real time, something like Lauren trying to pass on that kind of information could quite feasibly go completely unnoticed. Everyone is off balance or clumsy or occupied with something and trying to adapt to these new circumstances, the same as Lauren.

At this point, yeah Lauren would be addressed by doug in regards to getting ready to move and such. Soon as Badge gets back to me about the pm content post things will pick up.