Random Thread: Merry Holidays

Home to all current Forum Games.
nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Re: Random Thread: Studying Away

Post by nikohl » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:37 am

I think she's taking extra college level classes in her own time. Or something like that, aren't you, Bean?

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:09 am

I'd think the same. You can go through college/university at any age. Seriously, any age. There are really damn old people who should be on pensions by now who go to my local uni.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:46 am

Totally. There's no age limit on (formal) learning and there should never be :) Besides, learning new stuff is awesome!

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:09 am

no no not like that i have woman in my class who are in there late 40's who still study
just misinterpreted it as high school classes and I tend to mix up peoples age
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:07 am

I'm in college. :) Just turned 22 in October.
gamecreator wrote:Don't think that way. This is a road to self-destruction. There may be rare coincidence of what you want and what is required. Then you would not want to delude yourself and find that task boring.
I can see your point here and it's not that the learning is required, it's what is required to learn. Make sense? I'm a Criminal Justice major but I've since lost my passion for it and now I feel sort of directionless and the schoolwork is a drag. I can't think of any majors I'd rather switch to and it feels like I'm wasting my time and money right now. I fell out of love with the work in the last semester but wanted to make sure that it wasn't just a phase and took another semester of Criminal Justice. I'm certain now that I'm no longer interested in continuing the work but I'm unsure which direction to take my college education now. I've got no strong passion except for writing but I feel I'm capable of doing that fairly well without college work. Just sort of lost and bored/frustrated with my required work.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:01 pm

One thing I've found about learning things is that if you have a good teacher they'll always have something to teach you that you didn't know before, and they'll push you to do better. If your passion is writing, switch to an English course and don't allow yourself to settle for 'fairly good'. Push yourself at it and allow yourself to be pushed by the class and you might find there's more there than you thought :)

There's nothing worse than trying to force your way through stuff you hate.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:28 pm

thinkslogically wrote:One thing I've found about learning things is that if you have a good teacher they'll always have something to teach you that you didn't know before, and they'll push you to do better.
People like that would be fired here for "corrupting the youth". I can't count the number of teachers that made me want to learn and who were ridden out out of town on the rails, and when some refused to be afraid of the school boards, thugs were hired.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:32 pm

And then there were the teachers that touched your no-no's...

Oh they wanted to teach you....and they wanted you to learn....

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:58 pm

Aegis J Hyena wrote:
thinkslogically wrote:One thing I've found about learning things is that if you have a good teacher they'll always have something to teach you that you didn't know before, and they'll push you to do better.
People like that would be fired here for "corrupting the youth". I can't count the number of teachers that made me want to learn and who were ridden out out of town on the rails, and when some refused to be afraid of the school boards, thugs were hired.
Really? I mean, I guess I'm talking more about uni where the syllabus is more flexible. Wheee about are you aegis?

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:02 pm

Across the pond, Thinks... sanity here is frowned upon :P

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:13 pm

thinkslogically wrote:One thing I've found about learning things is that if you have a good teacher they'll always have something to teach you that you didn't know before, and they'll push you to do better. If your passion is writing, switch to an English course and don't allow yourself to settle for 'fairly good'. Push yourself at it and allow yourself to be pushed by the class and you might find there's more there than you thought :)

There's nothing worse than trying to force your way through stuff you hate.
I agree that trying to do something you hate only brings headaches. It's not that I hate criminal justice, I'm just not interested in pursuing it anymore. Just losing interest and passion caused this to become a headache so I can only imagine it would get worse if I really hated the work.

I work in an online college because I'm not near the campus of the school I wanted to attend (or more correctly the only one I could afford...) so the teacher/student relationships are very much different and less connected. Still, you can tell the nice teachers from the buttholes by how they come across online.

I never gave a thought to an English degree. All I've ever heard is that it's a total waste of money and time and is sort of a joke degree but doing research now, it looks like something I'd really enjoy. I'm torn. The internet also seems torn with like sixty percent saying it's a useless degree and thirty percent saying it's not bad but there's better moneymakers out there and ten percent saying it's extremely useful and can be profitable sometimes. It's not all about the money, I know, but I've been struggling with finances for a LONG time now so the thought of nice stacks of cash intrigues me...
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:53 pm

Meh, it's a degree and that in itself is worth a lot. Just getting to the end of one gives you a whole pile of skills that are applicable to a load of general positions. So I would argue that it shows proof of critical thinking, analysis and an ability to write, all of which are hugely valuable skills to have in any job.

askstoomuch

Post by askstoomuch » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:06 pm

hehe wine ^^ fancy

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:58 pm

Gog are giving 3 fallout games for free (11 hours remain):
http://www.gog.com/promo/fallout_series ... 01a5f61eb7

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:14 pm

And to clarify for anyone wondering, if you just set up an account with GOG and 'buy' those free games they'll be linked to your account permanently, so you can download them whenever.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:12 am

In other news, in case you hadn't heard...

What does the fox say?

Question answered.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:36 am

People have actually known what sound foxes make for ages. They actually make two distinct sounds, depending on the situation.
My game:

My characters:

askstoomuch

Post by askstoomuch » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:29 am

just bought violent video games for my lil brothers
which both take place on an island

#nomorefoodthisweek

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:06 pm

Mega Millions game here --- $550 Million (cash all at once makes it 295M) --- if anyone posts numbers, I'll play them for Tuesday's drawing and share the pot if we hit it.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:29 am

How many numbers? You should play 3, 7 and 13.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:44 am

:shock: That's a lot of money if you win the pot. Except if it's anything like the one we have that offers a lot of money, the odds of winning are 1:(Some number with four more digits than the number of seconds the universe has existed) Seriously, that's not an exaggeration, that is literally what the odds of success were calculated to be. Of course, it was only using a rough estimate of the time the universe has existed, but still. Four digits.
My game:

My characters:

askstoomuch

Post by askstoomuch » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:37 am

that's like to much money, there's like no way to even spend that :lol:

cr has been gone for over a week now she doesn't even update her tumblr anymore, her last post was blergh, I think I should be worried

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:45 am

nikohl wrote:How many numbers? You should play 3, 7 and 13.
5 from 1 to 75 and 1 from 1 to 15.

Odds of winning: 1 in 258,890,850.

askstoomuch

Post by askstoomuch » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:13 am

I had more homework then I remembered :D

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:44 pm

Aegis J Hyena wrote:
nikohl wrote:How many numbers? You should play 3, 7 and 13.
5 from 1 to 75 and 1 from 1 to 15.

Odds of winning: 1 in 258,890,850.
Wait, so... you win $550,000,000 and the chances of winning are one in 258,890,850? (because of the combination of numbers) How much are the tickets, a dollar each? That doesn't sound very profitable for the lottery company :/