Re: Threads of reality - OOC thread

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:10 am

The last one. ANd then I shall use it. :P

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:01 am

Alright.

On that note, for today's update I'll assume Nerre will want to stick with holy word and attempt to use his divine light to blind someone- I still need an action from Dusk, though.

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:33 am

I would imagine it would amount to something along the lines of "attack," or possibly "attack while yelling."

If we're doing substitute actions, then my vote would be for Hears to hold off on rage for now, since the Atlanteans are dealing a ton of damage, and to move in and attack the Guardian with Rhongomiant as his major action, dealing fire damage. (Throwing Rhongomiant and using the inferno bracelet again has a chance to miss, and the AoE damage would take out Drowns.) I guess for his minor action, he could cast Ignite on the Guardian, too?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:55 am

what about unleasing Voice?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:28 pm

Nerre, holy word is still a major action, meaning you'd only have a minor action left- You could heal yourself with a purify, but you can't start regenerating as casting that is a major action as well.

Also, holy word clearly says either, meaning you can activate ONE of it's effects, but that you get to choose which- It does not do all of them at the same time.

You're right in that the AOE won't hit friendlies though.

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:37 pm

M0rtimer wrote:And Martin- On one hand I agree with you, on the other I could easily envisage it being a collumn like attack, where you send out an hurricane that goes "past" them.

That being said, it wouldn't matter- It was magic on his part to intercept that attack, so no matter which of either it was he could have intercepted it. I just worded it the easiest way. (That's the whole guy's sthick by the way, intercepting attacks and sending them back...)
Fair enough. I guess Studies needs to find a way to become immune to wind magic, so that he can just surround himself in hurricanes. :P

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:26 pm

Okay, I did a sweep on OP and added actions there were there were none.

On that note, sorry Dusk but ancestry is a minor action to start. :roll:

Ignite will have to wait for next turn...

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:34 pm

Is sneak attacking a major action, or is it just listed as a major action because you have to attack to use it? I only ask because I've been assuming I could combine it with charged shot.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:47 pm

Yeah, it's just major since it's a major action to attack.

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:51 pm

Zil's section of the post is exactly the same as the previous update's. I suspect a typo or something.

I guess I'll go ahead and take that healing potion Dares had?

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:41 pm

Four arrows through my wind barrier and the ward? Damn.

Would another flashstep be enough to leave Studies conscious? Because if i understand it right, if using a flashstep would leave him conscious then he can use it, otherwise he can't(Not that there'd be any point then anyway, but...).

Also, how the hell did that guardian tank so much damage?

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:17 am

Out of curiosity (and because I don't want to die), what does and doesn't count as magical healing? Potions? My Bloodthirst passive?

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:43 am

I hope potions work. Else only Born can keep you stable till the effect fades off or gets removed by a counter spell. :/
I should get a spellbreaking/curse-removing spell on next level up or with my next skill points. :D
:zzz:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:30 am

Nerre wrote:I hope potions work. Else only Born can keep you stable till the effect fades off or gets removed by a counter spell. :/
I should get a spellbreaking/curse-removing spell on next level up or with my next skill points. :D
You are a paladin, you are more likely getting healing or attack related stuff.

I will get cleric's version of bless which removes negavive effects.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:11 am

Zil's section of the post is exactly the same as the previous update's. I suspect a typo or something.
Oops- Yeah I copied the battle status and accidently copied that bit as well-
I guess I'll go ahead and take that healing potion Dares had?
Yeah, go ahead. In the future it'll matter though.
Four arrows through my wind barrier and the ward? Damn.
Yeah- At first I was like "4 arrows against Studies? Damn, that's just enough to knock him out... Oh wait, he still has that shield!"

Aaaaand then you rolled 4 1's... :roll:

Also flashstep is once per encounter. Wait... It doesn't say that? Ugh I thought I had properly sweeped everything...

(Yeah, sorry, but it would be way too powerful if it didn't have any restriction- You could pretty much always dodge damage, and against a single enemy... Yeah.)

As for him tanking so much damage... I'm sure you'll learn eventually. :roll:
Out of curiosity (and because I don't want to die), what does and doesn't count as magical healing? Potions? My Bloodthirst passive?
Magical healing counts as every form of healing that origins from an ability. Potions would work.

Also Nerre, Justice is a full action, meaning it requires both minor and major action- So you couldn't combine it with formidable force. You could use either with the helmet, though.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:44 am

Also, stabilizing would work as it isn't magic- I also made that a minor action because it was a bit much otherwise.

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:38 am

I forget if I've asked before, but can we use a major action to take another minor action? And if so, would I be allowed to use stabilize twice as a full-round action, to bring someone back to 1 HP?

And Nerre, if you're taking suggestions, I'd recommend you ignore the mage for the moment and heal up, since you're not in any shape to tank right now, and Cut is going to be focusing on Hears and Studies. If you use purify, healing water and a healing shard on yourself, you'll be at 5 HP this turn, and 6 HP on your next turn (7 if you use purify again). And you'll still have your major action left over to get back into the fight.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:51 am

Hmm... Yeah, sounds alright. But yes you can substitute a minor action for a major.

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:57 am

All right, cool. That makes using some combination of teleportation, stealth and scout to set up an attack more viable, too.

...Or I could just use double shot twice. Can I just use double shot twice? If Studies gets haste and casts it on me, can I double my doubled double shot and fire eight arrows at once?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:05 am

double shot needs to be combined with an actual attack obviously, so since that's a major action, no. :roll:

Of course, that in a certain sense makes it a "full action", but it can be combined with other abilities such as charged shot so I can't make it a full action, and I'm not quite sure how I could put it on OP to make that clear beside it being obvious that it needs to be coupled with an attack?

...Though if Studies were to get haste, sure you could. :roll:

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:16 am

YES.

If you need me, I'll be writing up a trait for Quadruple or Nothing...
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:23 am

Except it being a free action would imply that you could stack up a bunch of free actions all at once. :P

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:38 am

I guess so. You could add "can only be applied once per attack" to the ends of the free ones, if you wanted to get wordier.

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:43 pm

Or you could do what D&D does, and make it a 'swift action'. Swift actions essentially take no time, but you only have one per turn, unlike free actions.
Also flashstep is once per encounter. Wait... It doesn't say that? Ugh I thought I had properly sweeped everything...

(Yeah, sorry, but it would be way too powerful if it didn't have any restriction- You could pretty much always dodge damage, and against a single enemy... Yeah.)
Yeah, i kinda figured that. Having it as many times as i want per encounter would make me practically invincible versus a single foe, and while that would be awesome, it would probably be gamebreaking, unless you made every battle from now on have lots of people.

On that subject though, Is there any way to get more uses per encounter? Either through a more powerful enchantment or more of the flashstep enchantments on my other gear?

Maybe even as an ability if i ever get more trait points, though there are probably better things to use trait points on.

Edit: Also, would a 'dodge chance' enchantment fall under luck(I'm too lucky to get hit) or wind(I dodged your attack 'cause i'm fast) magic? By dodge chance i mean instead of using an action to auto dodge like flashstep, i just have a passive chance to dodge any attack.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:54 pm

...Which is essentially the same as a minor action? :P