Threads of reality - OOC thread

Home to all current Forum Games.
Godbot
Converses Frequently

Re: Threads of reality - OOC thread

Post by Godbot » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:58 pm

You've obviously never played a spellcaster in 3.5. Swift actions mean a whole lot more when your playing style is based around cramming as many actions as possible into a round.

(I once had a healer with a cloak that let him swap places with an ally as a swift action, and boots that let him teleport as a move action. Put together, I could teleport an ally somewhere to on the battlefield once per day, and I still had my standard action left over for more spells.)

Anyway, they're more like power attack, since I can apply as many different ones to the same attack as I want. I just can't apply the same one twice. (And, yeah, I'm hoping we're gonna get more trait points at some point, too. I have too many ideas I like for a single PoP.)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:19 pm

Ah, so swift actions are what are in this campaign essentially free actions since you can also only activate those once per turn though you could activate multiple.

There might eventually be "free" actions you could apply to every attack, rather than just dailies and stuff... But it's all minor actions for now. :roll:

Also, since I didn't notice Martin posting this earlier:
Yeah, i kinda figured that. Having it as many times as i want per encounter would make me practically invincible versus a single foe, and while that would be awesome, it would probably be gamebreaking, unless you made every battle from now on have lots of people.

On that subject though, Is there any way to get more uses per encounter? Either through a more powerful enchantment or more of the flashstep enchantments on my other gear?

Maybe even as an ability if i ever get more trait points, though there are probably better things to use trait points on.

Edit: Also, would a 'dodge chance' enchantment fall under luck(I'm too lucky to get hit) or wind(I dodged your attack 'cause i'm fast) magic? By dodge chance i mean instead of using an action to auto dodge like flashstep, i just have a passive chance to dodge any attack.
Hmm... Besides just adding more of the enchantments which would be pretty cheap, no, not really. Maybe in the long run something like that could be unlocked, or an useable item of some kind, but for now no, not really.

And that would be a wind-based spell- Though you'd need to make it a powerful one if you'd want to get any merit out of it.

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:42 pm

Is there any way to increase the number of enchantments that can be attached to a piece of equipment? For example, my staff has two slots, but all my other stuff only has one.

Also, is there any way to transfer enchantments(As opposed to removing and then reenchanting)?

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:49 pm

I understand godbot, I too are having problems with the amount of skills I have getting in conflict of how many I can combine and use at the same time. I really hoped that getting more would mean more options and possibilities, but as many are major or at least minor actions, not much can be done at the same time. Especially my new water healing HOT (heal over time) being a major action hurts, I would have loved doing while still using my strong battle skills to fight. But with healing water being a major, it forces me to take a pause from the fighting. Because I don't do enough damage to even break the armor of most enemies without a major action skill. Same for defending. I can either defend or heal, but not both at once. I would love to, as currently almost all of us seem to be one-hit-targets for Triton and his champions while it takes almost all of us to bring one of them down. :/

If anybody has a good suggestion of which skills I should combine with which, please tell me. :D
:zzz:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:10 pm

madmartin26 wrote:Is there any way to increase the number of enchantments that can be attached to a piece of equipment? For example, my staff has two slots, but all my other stuff only has one.

Also, is there any way to transfer enchantments(As opposed to removing and then reenchanting)?
Yes, but it's expensive and you're yet to even learn how- It's also going to be something you can't do yourself.

And yes, though there's a cost attached even there. You have the tool required for it in your possession.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:38 pm

born, scan the choas brewer already! we need to see what it does to use it to our advantage

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:38 pm

Nerre wrote:But with healing water being a major, it forces me to take a pause from the fighting. Because I don't do enough damage to even break the armor of most enemies without a major action skill. Same for defending. I can either defend or heal, but not both at once. I would love to, as currently almost all of us seem to be one-hit-targets for Triton and his champions while it takes almost all of us to bring one of them down. :/
...Dude, none of us can deal significant damage without our major actions. That's what attacks are for.

And I seem to recall you shrugging off several direct attacks prior to getting almost-KOed. I think your expectations might be a little unrealistic here.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:57 pm

No update tonight- Expect one tomorrow.

SGTdude
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: SGTdude

Post by SGTdude » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:53 pm

I just wanted you to know M0rt, and this is not because of my currently crappy state of mental health, but....

Zil is totally about to kill some more muthafukas.

Children better avert your eyes, cuz this is going to get messy.
This user has been Banned. (link to the joke)

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:11 am

Godbot wrote:And I seem to recall you shrugging off several direct attacks prior to getting almost-KOed. I think your expectations might be a little unrealistic here.
I didn't say anything negative about my DEF-abilities. :D

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:19 am

I reread your post, Nerre. I get what you're saying, but you don't need to worry so much about being able to do everything at once. If you want to be a good tank, all you've got to do is focus on absorbing attacks and keeping the rest of the party alive. Sometimes that's going to mean spamming Guardian every turn, and sometimes it's gonna mean pounding relentlessly on an enemy so they can't ignore you, but sometimes it'll mean stepping back for a round so you can heal yourself, and spend the next two rounds tanking more hits.

Remember, no character does everything perfectly 100% of the time. That's the whole premise of support characters like Cut; no one can function totally independently, so they help cover the weaknesses of the other characters and keep them doing their job for as long as possible. And honestly, if you're absorbing a couple of hits every couple of turns, you're doing just fine.

As for uses for your skills, let me take another look at your list...
► Show Spoiler
Does that help any?

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:48 am

Yeah Nerre, Most characters are only able to do one thing very well, with possibly a subspecialty in a different area. Studies is very good at high damage wind attacks and utility abilities, but he can't tank to save his life. That's why abilities like flashstep and wind aura are so important for him, they make attacks less likely to hit him so that he can actually survive long enough to use his attacks. But even with those abilities he can't survive more than one or two strong hitters attacking him, his defensive abilities depend on most of the aggro being pointed at someone else, allowing those abilities to deal with the attacks that are sent his way(Or not, given the recent performance of wind aura...). If Studies Was fighting alone, he would either burst down the enemy in a turn or two, or they'd survive and he'd be knocked out as soon as his defensive abilities ran out. It's only because people tank things for him that Studies can do his job of piling on damage every turn.

Also, while tanks might not do very much damage, personally i think there's a lot of satisfaction to be had from charging into the enemy and not caring at all what they try to throw at you. It's a different kind of satisfaction, but very satisfying nonetheless.

Godbot, do you still play league?

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:14 am

Yeah, every once in a while. Mages and Supports, mostly.

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:59 pm

That's cool, I just started playing a few months ago. I'm not as invested in it as some people i know, but it's pretty fun. I mostly play supports, mages, and tanks.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:43 pm

Alright, with this battle over, I will retreat to my DM lair and plot my next plan on how I'm actually going to kill one of you guys... :roll:

On a side note, I'll calculate how much exp this was worth as well tomorrow, and it's possible there's going to be some level ups.

SGTdude
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: SGTdude

Post by SGTdude » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:55 pm

OOH OOOOH! PICK ME! KILL ME!!!!
This user has been Banned. (link to the joke)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:42 pm

So I'm not gonna have time to update today anymore- I did, however, have time to calculate how much exp that battle was worth- It got you guys a total of 120 EXP, giving everyone 20 EXP total- And Drowns, Born and Hears a level!

Here's your guys level up choices and stat points gained:

Drowns:
Lvl6: +1 ATT
Choice between:
Shrug off: minor action. Once per encounter, remove all current status afflictions on yourself.
Block: free action. A single target you attack may only target you.

Hears:
Lvl6: +1 DEF
Choice between:
CanÔÇÖt hold me down: Daily. Free action. You add 50% of your max health to your current health, which may go over your usual max HP. After three turns, the HP granted is removed.
SmashinÔÇÖ time: Full action. Your melee attack may target up to three enemies.

Born, being a hybrid you get to choose between either rogue or ranger skills- Off course, you can still only select a single one.

Lvl6: +1 DEF
Brute impact: major action. The special effects of arrows shot are doubled.
Quick draw: Daily. Free action. For the remainder of the encounter, you attack before the enemy.

Lvl6: +1DEF
Choice between:
Cripple: free action. Can be used once per encounter. When sneak attacking a target, you may stun said target for one turn.
Passing blades: minor action: Total damage dealt is reduced by 25%, but may target up to three enemies when attacking from stealth.

As usual, if you prefer, you may take something from an earlier level if you prefer- The full current list, in all it's unedited glory, is in the spoiler below if you'd wish to look into that.
► Show Spoiler

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:01 pm

...Damn. These are all great. Brute Impact is the natural choice, though. I'll have to come back for Cripple later; it's a really good support ability.

Edit: Upon further consideration I would like to take Double Shot again

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:17 am

Only 120xp for taking on an entire army? :(

Ah well. How close is Studies to leveling?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:54 am

It is done, quadruple or nothing... :roll:

On a serious note though, nah. :P

And three exp Studies... :roll:

And hey, you forgot you need to share exp with all those that helped you, of course! :roll:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:31 am

Also, a few additional things I forgot to mention.

Firstly, some things that were too awkward to properly insert into the update, but did happen-

Born: There was something there in the ether. And it is very likely that it'll be there next time you go into there. Whether that means that you'll want to find out what that's about before you "need" to use it or not, is up to you.

Hears: While Voice was out and kicking, you could hear other voices- It seems that, usually, they are just overshadowed by Voice being a bit... Loud. Sadly he got swarmed before the battle ended so there's no going deeper into that right now... But something to keep in mind.

And finally, for Studies I changed the cost of his belt from full to major, as that is the regular action cost for summoning an elemental.

I'll also allow him to use the belt in combination with flashstep, though that technically doesn't make sense... :roll:

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:17 am

Hrm, all right. I'll see if Cut or Zil can use their true sight to find out more, before the buff wears off. And that reminds me, I had a trait idea. I'll PM you.

Oh, and I guess I never actually used that blinker's delight elixir? I guess I'll just hold onto it.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:30 am

...how long does true sight last?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:02 am

True sight lasts for the duration of a day- In other words, it'll be gone when you guys go to rest for the next day. With that being said, it is way past your guys usual bedtime...

Also, everyone is going to have a hangover in the morning... :roll:

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:15 pm

Drowns:
Lvl6: +1 ATT
Choice between:
Shrug off: minor action. Once per encounter, remove all current status afflictions on yourself.
Block: free action. A single target you attack may only target you.
I think I will go with Block. I already got so many minor and major actions, it is good to have a free one. Especially as I can use it every turn unlike Shrug off. Shrug off might be a good one, but it would come at the cost of being unable to do other things. Also I wanted to have a spell which equalls the "Taunt" tanks have in most mmorpgs already when I was level 3. :D

Drowns also had a true sight potion, so he should see the guy behind the desk as well, right?