MyrMen OOC.

Home to all current Forum Games.
kida
Gives Speeches

Re: MyrMen OOC.

Post by kida » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:14 am

I said it before I think we can invent metal detector, this will be helpful to our explorer.

We could always invent the MRI - this will be useful for our doctors :D

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:57 am

My reaction to the last page +:
I hope to cature the red MM. I'd prefer not to drop the root on it unless we are loosing the fight, so, not yet. I want to free purple, until such time as they betray that freeing. If we free purple along the way, then the former slaves may fight with us. Yes, purple will likely become their own tribe, but hopefully indebted to us and gratefull.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:46 pm

gamecreator wrote:
ThroughTheWell wrote:Sure wish we knew what the blue stones in the hut are... .
I think those are dried food, as said by LAYF in update.
Thanks gamecreator, that is probably right. LAYF can you confirm?

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:14 pm

Once again, I call for a vote for a King, to rule over us with fairness and to dole out skill points as necessary.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:46 pm

BadgeAddict wrote:Once again, I call for a vote for a King, to rule over us with fairness and to dole out skill points as necessary.
Sic semper tyrannis!
I don't think I'm too keen on a king.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:51 pm

But...what if you were king.... Im not too keen on you being king, but I would take you as king of skill points (leave the npcs alone) over this chaos anyday.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:43 pm

BadgeAddict wrote:But...what if you were king.... Im not too keen on you being king, but I would take you as king of skill points (leave the npcs alone) over this chaos anyday.
Ah temptation... meet principle. Of course it is 'good to be the king', but that does not negate the problems with the system of kings. I could live with LAYF as king, since at least he has no conflict of interest in awarding himself points or extorting particular actions. Plus he's already kind of king as GM anyway, with ways to screw players if he were so inclined, and not subject to player's vote for recall. But a player as king? No way.

But also, I don't see the driving need for a king. I see only you really complaining about chaos and long times between updates and difficulty spoting LAYFs posts. If you feel that way, I suppose you can call for a vote for king again, but unless it is LAYF, I plan to vote it down due to the problems with kings and not really seeing the need for it.

Seriously, I think a player as king runs a fair risk of being a bad experience, and so much worse than things are now. Also, you CAN simply ignore the voting part of the game. Why it's mere existence bothers you so much that you want to force me to give up my vote, I don't understand. LAYF started this game as partly a homage to some of the other civ games in these forums, at least one of which I played. It had nearly this kind of voting. I suppose it was a bit less freeform, meaning players were not adding options within the turn, but you could invent, explore, and boy howdy did you HAVE to vote. And actualy, I prefer this game to that one. That one did have the GM as king. Here I feel our votes are more bite sized, and the tech upgrades more manageable, and our opponents more in line with ourselves. Basicaly, more of a gradual rational civ expansion. Granted, the previous game involved a much bigger tribe, much more magic, and a timescale involving moving armies. I'm content to fight in our orderly 2D anthill. I guess I'm saying, LAYF can run his game the way he wants and we kind of should have known a bit what to expect in terms of voting. I think it could be much worse. *tangent off*

Let me be clear, I don't even want a player as king even if I can vote for a recall. I really hate the favoritism and popularity that reeks of. Not to mention the possibility of abuse. Ugh, I think it would change the flavor of the game in a bad way.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:45 pm

ThroughTheWell wrote:... So, greenfood held 2 pixels above water, with a bleed off valve for harvesting the gas? Turn it upside down to coat the greenfood in water again to turn it off?...

Might i suggest rather a containment similar to the food producers that takes food and water and using the proper alignment of food to water ratio (math blather and whatnot) produces gas. Granted this would perhaps be a source that "uses up" our food supply, but who cares really, we have so much of it. Not only that, but as a fully contained unit, one wouldn't need to worry about getting oneself contaminated.

I say this because, clearly food taken from the water doesn't produce green gas, it seems the green food still needs to be "growing" (roots and whatnot) from the bottom of the water supply.

hmm.... i just had a great idea.

I was only just recently talking about a power-source. This gas, produced by the plant matter growing slightly above water is in my mind equivalent to "natural gas". Based on recent events, it is clearly flammable. So, we could very easily create a power source. Using natural gas as our "heating element".

First we create a series of metal hoses or pipes connecting from a "green gas" producing unit to a self-contained shape (ex: a tall cylinder with two contained areas). The pipes splits as it enters in the bottom area to form a series a valves/nozzles. At the top of these valves is an ignition source (or a pilot light). When more gas is released into the valves, the lights become hot flames, which heat up the second area. In the second area is water. The water is heated by the "carefully" ignited gas so that it steams, the steam rises quickly which makes a fan turn, the fan turns a creates a power source. Bazinga.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:54 am

BadgeAddict wrote: Granted this would perhaps be a source that "uses up" our food supply, but who cares really, we have so much of it.
I care. I care very much. We STILL don't have enough food, and here you are blithly claiming we have so much that we can waste it. :shock: I get the sense that you have never been really hungry. :wall:

On to other maters. I like civ tech advances, but we may be losing sight of the fact that we are sitting right next to self powered teleporters. Potentialy, we can skip steam power and go straight to Star Trek.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:59 am

but we need sacrifices for it to work, and, unless you find us some enemies to stick a knife in, we're stuck here. Speaking of lightspeed, i feel as though we were traveling in it and then suddenly got kicked out by a malfunctioning warp drive, now here we are, drifting slowly through the black expanse of space, waiting...waiting for the next turn.....hmmm....

maybe if we just sacrificed our NPCs..... >:D hehehe two birds with one stone....

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:42 am

BadgeAddict wrote:but we need sacrifices for it to work, and, unless you find us some enemies to stick a knife in, we're stuck here.
There are at least 2 kinds of teleporters that we know about. The blue statue will suposedly TP a player with a sacrifice. I choose red. The Mother Machines though TP food and water to us, if they are supplied with food and water, and if we are within 'range'.

Also in terms of high tech, MMs act as fancy fabricators, manufacturers, and nearly replicators. Not to mention that the quantity of water they store seems to imply some form of spatial compression, TP, or extra dimensional access. Our water generators are either replicators or fancy gas harvesters + loads of electricity.

But hey, we also have MAGIC.
Last edited by ThroughTheWell on Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:45 am

BadgeAddict wrote:This gas, produced by the plant matter growing slightly above water is in my mind equivalent to "natural gas".
Way to go, Captain Obvious!

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:14 pm

no no, I am Captain Stupendous.....Come on, didn't you ever read Calvin and Hobbes? I was gonna be spaceman spiff, but i couldn't find a good picture.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:11 pm

okay.. sorry that I've been silent in the OOC. a lot have been going one.. so.. I just want to get a few things clear...

The update rate is slow(ish) with an update that looks like every 5th day. +/- now.. this has nothing to do with the voting system.
This is due to the fact that this game have grown into the biggest of my games, each update filling a whole 18 pages in word, including the data needed.
All this data must be monitored and regulated, and I must look it over, and over again, to be sure there are no important errors. so making an update is slow.
And therefore, I don't update more than what I do, as I don't want it to end up feeling like a chore and go cold.. leaving the game dormant for another 3 weeks again.. that would be sad. and I do all I can to avoid that.

BUT, the voting system does bug me a bit, not the freedom in it or anything, I like that.. and... well... that's my problem...
the system seem to confuse some from time to time... people forgetting to ad a vote for the use of skill points, or the production of tools.
and if someone comes up with a cool action for the workers or the worm to late; they risk not getting anything out of their vote because people don't see the new option...
I'd really like some way of doing this better...

I'm again's the king idea, since that would not only remove a lot of the freedom... it would also remove the possibility for outsiders to vote and get characters through dedication to the game.

So.. any good idea would be appreciated...
-Best regards LAYF

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:06 pm

LAYF - thank you for the update. I really enjoy this game and I agree 5 days wait are better than long hiccup.
I've a suggestion about the votes, maybe allow the option to put the NPC in auto pilot mode with a majority vote of more than 50% of the votes.
While in auto pilot mode the NPC will be assigned to a certain type and cannot be voted. To get him out of auto pilot mode you'll need a majority vote again.
The NPC will not be suicidal while in auto pilot mode and will prefer to skip the task than to die for it.

Regarding the latest update - I don't see the grid on the hidden map.

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:14 pm

Sorry for the double post but it seems the link to the SA/FH rolls are the same as last update.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:19 pm

kida wrote:-SNIP-

Regarding the latest update - I don't see the grid on the hidden map.
-SNIP-
Oh... wrong image link.. will fix.... 2 sec

and will fix the SA/FH just after

Both things fixed now
-Best regards LAYF

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:57 pm

We love LAYF! Every 5 days, even once a week is good. Keep it fun for yourself! (Actualy, I loved LAYFing even before I knew you.) ;)

You said inventer 2 for DA, IIRC it is 3. ;)
SharmanÔÇÖs Talisman Blueprints - must be delivered to the mothermachine to be used - Cost 1 building stone and 1 forbidden lore point - Produced at the mothermachine with 1 spell, this spell must exist as a manual - when used, any dark artist can fill the talisman with any spell he knows, Only one talisman can be carried at a time, or the carrier have 10% chance to take damage for each week he have more than 1.]
I don't understand the part where the spell must exist as a manual, yet the DA can fill it with any spell they know. I guess I'd hope to avoid the extra step of ALWAYS turning every talismanable spell into a manual first, otherwise the benefit of the talisman goes down a bit.

Hypotheticaly, could a Myrman jump off the cliff in such a way as to avoid the pontoons and bridges, yet smoothly enter the water like an olympian?

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:16 pm

ThroughTheWell wrote:We love LAYF! Every 5 days, even once a week is good. Keep it fun for yourself! (Actualy, I loved LAYFing even before I knew you.) ;)

You said inventer 2 for DA, IIRC it is 3. ;)
SharmanÔÇÖs Talisman Blueprints - must be delivered to the mothermachine to be used - Cost 1 building stone and 1 forbidden lore point - Produced at the mothermachine with 1 spell, this spell must exist as a manual - when used, any dark artist can fill the talisman with any spell he knows, Only one talisman can be carried at a time, or the carrier have 10% chance to take damage for each week he have more than 1.]
I don't understand the part where the spell must exist as a manual, yet the DA can fill it with any spell they know. I guess I'd hope to avoid the extra step of ALWAYS turning every talismanable spell into a manual first, otherwise the benefit of the talisman goes down a bit.

Hypotheticaly, could a Myrman jump off the cliff in such a way as to avoid the pontoons and bridges, yet smoothly enter the water like an olympian?
Ah.. yea.. sorry.. typo with the investor thing :)

The talisman, not explained so well I guess.. it can be produced without a manual, but then it will be empty then, and a DA must put a spell into it.... need to explain that better...

the diving thingy... well... a pro diver might be able to do it... as its extremely shallow waters below compared to the dive itself, not only would the effect of hitting the water be huge, the risk to hit the bottom would also be a bit high...

Oh.. and thanks... I love you too man ;)
-Best regards LAYF

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:47 pm

Ah, what to pick, what to pick... Accelerated would probably be best- Though I profit mostly from the ability to grant those I'm with a bonus, and as I don't usually try to cram even three actions in (and instead what I assume is just one big action with bigger chance of succes? If not I might have to start paying attention to use my actions as efficiently as possible.)

On that note I've been looking what I could trade my XP in for... The most obvious choice seems to be for leveling up either of my current hobbies. On that note I have a question about this- The level 3/5 for contractor.
Level 3: the contractor can now use one unit of a material in place of another when building (Must be chosen when this level is gained)
What does this mean exactly? For example I say, I can replace iron for stone- Would this mean that I can build something made out of iron completely out of stone, or that if for example something would cost 5 iron, I could use 4 iron and one stone for building it?

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:54 pm

The last... 5 iron would be 4 iron and 1 stone...
-Best regards LAYF

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:58 pm

Update! :D

Can the extra hobby from the prime Myrman be used to upgrade an existing hobby or does it have to be a new one?
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:04 pm

Hmm.. I've not considered that... but I guess it can.. since the price for a new hobby often would be higher than a new level...
-Best regards LAYF

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:31 pm

ThroughTheWell wrote:-SNIP- (Actualy, I loved LAYFing even before I knew you.) ;) - SNIP-?
Just learned that "Layfing" apparently is Hindi for "laying waste"
I knew you loved to be destructive.. just look at your war hunger towards the red myrmen :P
-Best regards LAYF

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:45 pm

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:
ThroughTheWell wrote:-SNIP- (Actualy, I loved LAYFing even before I knew you.) ;) - SNIP-?
Just learned that "Layfing" apparently is Hindi for "laying waste"
I knew you loved to be destructive.. just look at your war hunger towards the red myrmen :P
LAYFing sounds like laughing.

ATM, I'm feeling a bit outnumbered. Worse, even if I dig I don't think I can get to melee range from the top, without wasting time building a bridge to the ladder in full view. Worser, I don't have a ranged weapon. I want to fight, but getting to them looks a bit challenging. Through the pick closed tunnel sounds like the classic 1 man holds off 20 situation, meaning stalemate for us if we live. None of us has enough diving to risk the big underwater tunnel. And past the hut runs the risk of collapse to the hut. So we're down to spending time equiping ranged weapons and calling out rude names.

Can I tell if the 2 red guys on
------
\/ \/

those goblin-esque hoverboards are really flying?