The Forest - Chapter One

Home to all current Forum Games.
Nioca
Floods your Ears

Re: The Forest - Chapter One

Post by Nioca » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:51 am

"Now this is very interesting indeed..." Vualn says, sounding amused. Looking up at the ceiling, he scrutinizes the patterns within the aura of the magic, attempting to determine more precisely what sort manner of magic is at work, although to little avail.

Vualn Spellcraft: 15 [3+12]

"I would advise caution before advancing any further," Vualn intones. "This chamber is not what it seems; the tunnels ahead and the ceiling above are enchanted, although to what point and purpose is currently proving difficult to ascertain."
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:41 am

"But the wax itself is not enchanted?", Kast asks Mr. GlitterwingsÔäó while using the tip of an arrow to pick at the wax nearest at hand.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:18 am

"You worry too much, darlings," the mystery voice echoes from no apparent source. "The tunnels are enchanted for acoustics, that's all. And the wax is purely decorative. A red carpet, as it were. For our honored guests."
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:45 am

(I should give up on rolling for Rían hahaha. I attempted a roll to see if I could see through anything... No, no the dice love my bear. Definitely. And yet I can roll multiple 20s in a row with Elevar or Isaac. If I ever roll above 10 for this poor man again, I will be impressed at this point.)

At the mention of enchantments, the bear stopped and narrowed his eyes, squinting down the tunnels (and the main room,) again. It didn't seem to do him much good. He produced a sound quite akin to a sigh, and moved a bit closer to the tunnels. Maybe he'd be able to see something, anything down them. (Spot, so I'm sure a resounding nope.)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:33 pm

Kast gingerly steps out onto the red wax, holding his bow low, but at full alert. "If we are your honored guests, perhaps you should introduce yourself?", he muttered under his breath.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:50 am

"We will, happily! As soon as it can be in person....assuming you pick the right tunnel. If not, well, that would be a tragically wasted opportunity for us to get to know each other better."
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:06 pm

"Well... Guess we just pick one at random." Vualn comments dryly. He stands near the back of the group, prepared to follow the two meatshields warriors deeper within.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:36 pm

Kast approaches the tunnel entrances, looking to see if there is any difference between them that he can discern.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:56 pm

Assuming none of the tunnels smell any differently whatsoever, the bear approaches the center path.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:06 am

Quiet enough that only Rian can hear it (he's closer, and his own bulk absorbs much of the sound, the voice whispers from deep inside the tunnel, "I can hardly bear the suspense...c'mere, big boy, lemme run my fingers through your hair." Quite in spite of himself, the paladin finds the words physically exciting (in a shiver-down-the-spine sort of way, to be perfectly clear). His mind might consider the extremely personal entreaty more than a little creepy, but on a gut level, he experiences a profound urge to follow the summons.

Kast spots something down the tunnel to the right which catches his attention.

As he announces resolve to pick a tunnel at random, Vualn feels himself drawn, as if by serendipity, toward the tunnel on the left.
► Show Spoiler
My long-neglected blog.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:55 am

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:46 am

Vualn Will Save: Ôê× (Vualn's immune to Enchantment spells and effects due to his fey nature. On the off chance this isn't enchantment though: 8 )
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:56 am

I rolled twice for Kastrail, one without (13) and one with (12) his racial bonus against Enchantments. That's some Rian level rolling right there. ;)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:13 pm

(It is in fact not an enchantment spell; Vualn's fey heritage, and the diluted version thereof which all elves enjoy, offers no particular protection against it.)

Vualn decides to follow his hunch, and Kast's predatory curiosity is drawn to the thing he half-glimpsed down the tunnel. It only occurs to Rian to notice that the party has apparently decided, without any planning or discussion, to split up and follow all three tunnels separately, something that he realizes might not be that wise. Then again, there is an alluring voice coming from up ahead, who seems to want a bit of alone time with him....
► Show Spoiler
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:39 pm

Hunting instincts on alert, Kast raises his bow, peering down the right-most tunnel as he side-steps along the wax covered floor towards the entrance to the tunnel.

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:39 pm

I assume that your last orders to her were to follow you, so that's what she's doing.
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:19 am

Yup, that's what I figured... mostly was wondering if she was being similarly drawn in, or was just following Kast's lead. Not sure if it will end up mattering, but if he's distracted, she may be able to detect trouble coming while he's chasing imaginary friends.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:10 am

(I will reply as soon as I can, but after three flights (including a transatlantic) and a long train ride, I'm rather exhausted and not yet fully unpacked. )

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:19 pm

I'll be traveling to see family next week, so my forum use may be somewhat intermittent. I do get email notifications on this thread though, so will try to post actions for Kast in a reasonable time frame if we have any further plot developments in the coming week and a half.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:46 pm

► Show Spoiler
My long-neglected blog.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:52 pm

► Show Spoiler
The bear was quick to double back. Certainly he couldn't reach both of his companions in time; the path forked in three directions, and he doubted either individual would stop moving. Who to stop? Kast at least had his spider friend; the bear set his jaw, and sped after Vualn. But how was he even going to stop him? He couldn't exactly shout his name, or any other such thing while stuck in this form. As it was, current attempts of communication were little more than a grumbly roar of irritation at best.
Perhaps he could grab him...

(I'll go ahead and roll a grapple. Current base speed is 40 ft, and he has run which means he can sprint at a 5x.
BAB (5) + STR (10) + size (+4) = 19, he also has improved grapple (+4), so grapple checks would be at a +22
And I rolled a 10. )

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:35 pm

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:54 am

► Show Spoiler
Vualn comes to his senses to find that the bear is physically restraining him from making further progress down the tunnel. Now that he thinks of it, he's a little unclear on why he was heading down said tunnel all by himself anyway...abandoning one's bodyguards to venture into the unknown is not generally regarded as prudent among sorcerers (particularly not ones with pixieshly frail physiques).

Rian seems to be in his right mind, and will likely let you go if you simply ask him to, assuming you don't feel too offended at him having presumed upon your person, and decide to make your displeasure known. (But that's entirely up to you; whatever force could have been acting on your mind has vanished, leaving you completely unaware that any such thing might ever have existed, past an extremely vague sensation of having perhaps acted imprudently for no visible reason. The compulsion was subtle enough that it can easily be mistaken for a passing whim, of the sort mercurial fae-types and adventurers in general get all the time.)
My long-neglected blog.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:39 am

► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:36 pm

► Show Spoiler
My long-neglected blog.