The Forest - Chapter One

Home to all current Forum Games.
willpell
Banned

The Forest - Chapter One

Post by willpell » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:29 pm

Sprawling across some thirteen million acres of land in the south-central heartland of the Tradespeak Empire, the Transylvaine Imperial Wilderness Preserve is widely (though inaccurately) reputed as being the largest contiguous forested region in the world. To walk completely through it from any one side to the other would take an average of six days - assuming you were permitted through at all. Surrounded on three sides by seven provinces of the Imperium, each with its own reasons for wanting to harvest its resources and neutralize its guardians, Transylvaine owes its continued existence mostly to the thriving power of Imperial law, but also in large part to the tireless vigilance of the many agencies devoted to ensuring its protection. Each of you is associated somehow with one of those groups, all pursuing different agendas in one or another of the 13 Wards into which the cyclopean park has been officially divided by Imperial surveyors, under advisement from local authorities who know the lay of the land. Now, each of you has independently been ordered, steered, or impelled toward the centermost Alder Ward, not knowing the details of the mission you are about to collectively undertake...a matter of critical importance to the entire forest.

* Kastrail, you live in a particularly dense and rainy section of the Willow Ward, and have never been outside the Preserve, nor do you routinely think of the Preserve or the Ward, these just being human terms for the place your offshoot of the Sylvasetharsai have lived for fifteen thousand years. Ancient records tell how the once-great nation of elfkind fractured long ago, and your ancestors turned what had originally been a remote border outpost into their own self-sufficient kingdom, microscopic by comparison to the regime which is known to still survive in the Elvenwood far to the north. Unconcerned with such trifles, your people have long prospered in their remote niche, having little contact with the outside world...but even by their standards, you're an odd duck, and your affinity for vermin has ended up making them sufficiently uncomfortable that you've been "encouraged" to seek out new habitation. Unhappy about being shunned by your friends and relatives, you've concluded that you may be able to change their minds by winning some impressive success in the kinds of endeavors that make for a good story (if anything, their isolation from the wandering bards of the Empire has left the copper elves with an even more profound hunger for new legends than is typical of tharsai in general). Thusly, you've asked around through the "fruitvine" of Sylvan-speaking beasts and occasional wandering rangers, and learned that the loose oversight of the region is headquartered in a place to the southeast, termed the Alder Ward.

* As the only human member of this soon-to-be-convened group, Rian is the most familiar with the geopolitics of the area; he recently stopped at the village of Inchwood, right at the boundary of the Birch and Maple Wards, and it was a rumor about the werebear guardians of the Birch Ward which led him deeper into the forest, where his life and his Paladin path would be forever transformed. Once he had come to terms with the details of his new condition, a strongly worded suggestion from the tribe's spiritual leader, a particularly ancient and fearsome shifter named Mother Gurahl, indicated that he was on the verge of overstaying his welcome; he was directed to seek out a druid and hierophant named Hansel Hartigan to learn more about the pressing needs of the region, and how best he might make himself of use. In addition to a high standing among druidic orders, Hansel holds the prestigious rank of Holt Warden in the crude association which manages the Preserve, and operates out of the group's de facto headquarters in the Alder Ward.

* Vuain has had the farthest to travel, coming from outside the Preserve itself; the Arasowi tribe is originally native to the mahogany-rich woods well to the south of the Empire's temperate lands, but the path he randomly chose to quit their environs has taken him far enough north to cross an uninteresting-looking dirt track which was in actuality the Stiegler Trail. This almost-invisible gash in the sea of trees marks the southern border of the Aspen Ward, the only one of the eight Boundary Wards that is largely insulated from contact with Empire civilization; of course, you've been flying well above the treetops and did not notice any political boundaries, but shortly after crossing into the mountainous Spruce Ward, the cold prevailing winds forced you out of the sky, and you've had to make your way through the eerie blue forest on foot. While here, you made inquiries of the local fey, finding them coldly impersonal but capable of tolerable politeness (as long as you made it clear you weren't staying long), and from them you learned the name of the region; these guides suggested that you would most likely find whatever you're seeking in the central Alder Ward, and recommended that you stay on the ground when approaching, "lest the Gahoole take offense".

And now, by these divergent paths, you've all come at the same time to emerge from three adjacent sides of a roughly octagonal clearing, nearly a thousand yards across, dominated by a central column of bleak white wood which rises five hundred feet from the forest floor. Piled up around it to a mere fifty feet or less, a cluster of half-ruined stone buildings has been mostly reclaimed by moss and vines, but portions of it remain rudely inhabitable, and several individuals can be seen moving around in or near these structures. Several clusters of forest animals are grazing or milling about in the clearing, clearly unafraid of the humanoids who are lounging about nearby; the whole scene gives an impression of leisurely activity, as if everyone is trying to keep themselves preoccupied while waiting for something to happen. All told there are perhaps eighty people - and twice that many creatures that might be "people" if you define the term generously enough - to be found within the clearing, but the three of you are the only ones who seem to have just arrived, and are all within hailing distance of each other.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: The Forest - Chapter One

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:52 pm

Kast steps out from the edge of the forest, staying close to the trees in case a retreat into the woods seems advisable, but taking in the vast expanse and wood and stone structures in the center. He glances uneasily between the towering, hairy human and the slight, fancy looking fey that have also emerged from the woods within bowshot. He's careful to keep his hands off his weapons, so as not to appear threatening, but mentally prepares himself in case either shows hostility. He reaches out through his link to Kzri, sending her concepts and thoughts that translated to a spoken word would roughly be "wait/caution/alert/notfood".
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:16 pm

The great arachnid stirs very slightly in place, as if to acknowledge the almost-communication. You know better than to anthropomorphize a vermin; Nature didn't construct her to "know" or "think" anything, but she can perceive, and you've trained her to remain constantly aware of your position within her worldview. She is aware of the newcomers, but takes no action for now.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:17 pm

Now this looked promising.

Vauln paused, his eyes flicking over the clearing while a small smile pulled at the corner of his mouth. It wasn't exactly grand, but that suited his purposes fine. Someone of his worth would likely find the respect he deserved here... he absentmindedly petted the head of the snake curled around his shoulders as he glanced over to the other two newcomers. Coincidence that they arrived at the same time as him? Unlikely. But inconsequential. Although... perhaps they could be of use to him. With a purposeful stride, he marched further into the clearing, his head held high as his cloak billowed out behind him. His bearing deliberately chosen so as to 'accidentally' cross paths with the other two.

Once he was closer (assuming the other two don't just stand still at the edge of the clearing), he flashes a smile and calls out, "Hail, fellow travelers! What brings you to these deep parts of the forest?" His voice drifts to the others, light and airy.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:26 pm

Nioca:
► Show Spoiler
My long-neglected blog.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:46 pm

willpell:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:28 pm

Kast slowly begins to move into the clearing, warily watching the fey approach from the corner of his eye before turning more to face and listen as he grows closer.

Taking note of the fey's clothes, bearing and pet, Kast guesses that this is one traveler that hasn't spent too many nights roughing it in the wild.

"My business is my own, but if you think this clearing is deep forest, you best not wander far..." he replies.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:14 am

(I'm not ignoring this, I'm just sort of waiting a bit to see if Ayeka posts something as well)

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:42 am

(Right, me too.)
My long-neglected blog.

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:16 pm

► Show Spoiler
The brunet's attention flicked quickly to the other newcomers; prior he'd been looking around the clearing as he wandered. The thick surrounding woods reminded him more than a little of home, and this clearing seemed a good place to start! He had little more than a name to go off of, and that meant a good deal of footwork, and asking around.
Perhaps these folks would be a good place to start. They had clearly been traveling themselves, and with luck, would have heard something on the way. Regardless, it was clear enough the more elaborately dressed of the pair was approaching deliberately, even before he spoke. "Greetings!" he offered, a smile upon his own face. Rían's gaze drifted toward the other slender male when he spoke. "I am looking for someone," and clearly neither of the two before him were he. "A 'Hansel Hartigan', if either of you have heard that name?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:33 am

► Show Spoiler
Kast steps forward, pulling back the hood to his cloak.

"Hartigan? That name is not known to me... though I know few men."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:01 am

Vualn seems to just shrug off Kast's response to his hail, his smile not faltering. "I cannot say that I do." Vualn responds to the human. "I have traveled far, and my eyes have not seen all there is to see in these woods..." Vualn turned toward the spire. "But it sounds a noble and important name. Perhaps he is one I should seek out as well...?" Vualn turns an eye toward the rest of the clearing. "I guess we should find out." Vualn then stride toward the spire.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:01 pm

Your approach is remarked by several creatures as you draw closer; a cluster of nuthatches that have been pecking in the grass near the treeline take flight toward a grazing aurochs, which lows in seeming annoyance as they flit about its head. Not far away, a large dog which has been sunning itself gets up and paces toward the massive tree trunk, being met at a distance of 400 yards or so by what is either a human girl or a halfling woman, smaller than the canine, who takes its head in her hands and fusses over it a bit before leaving it and heading back. As you continue to approach, a green-clad figure emerges from one of the low, cavernlike apertures in the mass of greenery and bricks and begins approaching to meet you. A longbow is slung across his back and a machete hangs at his hip, but he isn't acting aggressively as he gets to within about 100 yards of you (and twice that from the "building"), pushes back the hood of his camoflauge cloak, and waves. "Somethin' I can do for you folks?" he calls.
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:28 pm

Kast follows a few paces behind the fey as he heads into the clearing, trying not to be too obvious about keeping them both in his line of sight. Since the fey seems to like to talk, and the human is looking for someone in particular, Kast stands back and leaves it to them to reply to the fellow who greats them as they approach the structures in the center of the clearing.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:10 pm

"AhÔÇöyes, hello. " R├¡an had followed the other two when they began to move. He had no reason not to. R├¡an's voice rose to be heard, but the approaching figure in green was given a rather warm smile, "perhaps there is; I am looking for someone. Hansel Hartigan? If you know that nameÔÇöor perhaps someone that might!"

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:47 pm

"Greetings!" Vualn says, stepping forward to meet the man. "I am a being seeking purpose within the realm of the arcane. Mayhaps there might be something that can utilize my skills here?"

(...Vualn's prose will not always be this ostentatious, I swear. :p )

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:49 pm

As the man draws closer you get a better look at him. (The two elves will note that he is typical of a significant portion of human males, in that he allows hair to grow wild on his face rather than grooming it meticulously as the dwarves are said to do.) As you introduce yourselves (or don't, in Kast's case), he narrows his eyes a bit at Vualn's mention of the word "arcane", but quickly brushes it off to focus on Rian. "Elder Hartigan? Of course. Well, he's a busy fellow, being more or less in charge of our little collective, but I don't think he's especially preoccupied at the moment, hopefully he'll won't mind if I bring you around. But your spider will have to stay where it is for now," he adds with a nod toward Kast.
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:43 am

Kast stands at the back of the little group, eyeing the bearded man a touch dismissively. As the others introduce themselves, he only offers up his name, "Kast.", before returning to silent assessment. At the mention of his spider, Kast startles briefly before regaining some semblance of composure, glancing at the other two to see their response and giving a curt nod of agreement and acquiescence. Perhaps he will have to reevaluate this man... either he is remarkably well informed, or has hidden abilities that informed him of Kzri's hidden presence at the edge of the glade... He reaches through the link to Kzri alert/wait/sense/eyes/watching/watched/alert in an attempt to let her know to stay put, but that she has not gone unnoticed.
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:40 am

"Rían Mac Cárthaigh; where are my manners?" Rían had been more than happy to provide his name to the newcomer. Now that there was promise of being led to the man he was searching for, he paid especially close attention, however, and soon fell silent. Spider? His gaze traveled toward 'Kast' and back. Well, he had one name now, at least!

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:01 am

"I am the taut bowstring, the wanderer standing between the dusk of oblivion and the dawn of a new season." Vualn bows, feigning humility. "My skills are at your service." He then follows the man to elder Hartigan.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:19 am

"Just as long as you don't tamper with the natural order when bored," the man grunts as he leads you back toward the center of the clearing.

Stepping inside one of the openings of the hivelike structure, you find the interior surprisingly liveable; a few spiderwebs cluster in the corners (untenanted at the moment, as far as Kast can tell), but for the most part it looks little different from any windowless room, despite being contained in what is more nearly a grassy knoll than a building. A high-elf girl is sitting at a desk and studying a map of some sort, her honey-blonde hair hung forward so as to hide her ears but her facial shape unmistakeable. Your guide asks after "Elder Hartigan" again, and she glances up for just a moment to examine the lot of you, before going back to the map and muttering, "He's up at the top. Didn't leave a DND though, so he's probably not doing much. Cataloguing the cloud formations most likely. He probably won't turn you into a toad if you bug him," she finishes matter-of-factly.

The human turns back toward you with a :S expression. "Well. How do you folks feel about climbing 500 flights of stairs?"
My long-neglected blog.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:24 pm

"Hmm..." Vualn flits his wings. "In honesty, I'd much prefer to simply fly up there. I had been warned against flight by the locals, and have had precious few opportunities to spread my wings."

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:04 pm

Rían had fallen silent as they entered; he was quite interested in everything around them! He snapped back to attention when the man spoke up again, however. 500 flights of stairs? "Just show me where to go," the brunet offered, "I must speak with him." He had already walked this far, after all.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:39 pm

Kast manages to suppress a snort as the fey introduces his 'titles'... He follows the others in and listens to the discussion about the location of the Elder. He wonders if this is some type of test... and while he could scamper up the outside of the spire as easily as walking across the clearing, sees no reason to go through the effort to reach someone he has no personal stake in finding. After all, he's following along in hopes that this mis-matched pair will do something interesting.
"Five hundred flights seems a lot for an elder to have to scale... "
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:23 pm

"Well, we're big on testing ourselves against potential weakness around here," your guide shrugs. Without glancing up, the elf adds "But more likely he just plant-walked up, or turned into a bird." "That too," he admits.

At that moment, a nuthatch flies into the room and perches on a loop of vine which hangs from the doorway. It chirps several times before flying away; the elf regarded it attentively when it appeared. "Looks like you're in luck; I'm told he's coming down. Though it would have been funny to see how high you could have gotten before the elementals got you," she adds to Vualn with the faintest ghost of a smirk.
My long-neglected blog.