BAHOTH: Let's Play / Novelization

Home to all current Forum Games.
willpell
Banned

BAHOTH: Let's Play / Novelization

Post by willpell » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:06 pm

This is an idea I've had in mind for some time, and I'm finally giving it a try, out of boredom and a desire to do something constructive with my time. Easily one of my ten favorite games of all time, Betrayal At House On The Hill is a classic Avalon Hill title which is more or less an interactive horror movie in strategy boardgame form. I've got a card table set up next to my computer here, and I'm going to play a solo game of BAHOTH (which works poorly since one side needs to be ignorant of the other sides' actions; I'm just going to have to pretend as best I can), but as I journal the playthrough, I'm going to write it as a freeform story, with out-of-character commentary confined to spoilers. Hopefully it goes well enough for me to be able to do it many more times, and eventually try out all the various scenarios in the game. I've played the game in reality about 50-60 times, but never managed to turn up around 1/3 of the scenarios, and hopefully after a couple years without playing, the novelty will have worn back on.

Without further ado, let's get started. Our cast of characters in turn order:
Darrin "Flash" Williams
Jenny LeClerc
Vivian Lopez
► Show Spoiler
The door of the House on the Hill seemed to be stuck fast; had the wind blown it shut before they entered, the three stranded travelers would have had no protection from the rain and bluster outside. Clearly the wood had been warped by humidity and only barely fit in the frame anymore; once the abrupt gale had slammed it, none of the group, not even the husky soccer enthusiast Jenny LeClerc, had the musclepower to get it open again. There was nothing left to do but explore the ruined mansion in search of another exit, or a working telephone, or some other way of enduring the passage of perhaps hours until the storm abated. Hopefully tomorrow they could get serious about liberating themselves; if nothing else, perhaps they would have cel-phone reception again.
► Show Spoiler
Ever the impetuous one, Darrin "Flash" Williams decided to sprint the length of the Foyer and up the Grand Staircase to the Upper Landing, finally opening a door and emerging outside, upon a Tower which stretched out across the gabled roof. As he paused beneath an eave, out of the rain, and assessed his situation, he felt Something Slimy wrap around his ankle! Though his reflexes should have catapaulted him into swift evasive action, somehow he was paralyzed with horror, and he felt his whole body going numb as some strange influence had its way with him, releasing him only after a long and hideous moment which left him feeling both limp and stiff at the same time.
► Show Spoiler
"Hey Flash, where's the fire? Come back here, silly!" Jenny called up after the younger boy, but received no answer. "Flash? If you think I'm coming up there after you...I'm not letting you pull another fast one on me! Flash! Oh, forget you anyway." Remembering how Darrin had once put a frog down the back of her shirt to impress his meathead buddies when they were still kids - having lived in the same neighborhood for so long, they'd always been sort of casual friends, and might have been more if he weren't such a jerk sometimes, but only sometimes so she always managed to forgive him, just in time for him to do something dumb again - Jenny decided that this had to be another of his pranks in the making, and refused to play along. Instead, she walked into the Foyer he'd disappeared through, but turned left and opened a door.

The bookish girl had stepped through into the room before she realized just what it was...sometimes when she was lost in a good mystery novel, she kind of zoned out and wandered into a different room of her house or something without knowing what she was doing, but this was the first time she could recall having done it while she wasn't reading. She now found herself in an old-style cage elevator, the doors of which were now closing behind her. Whirling around, she was startled to find that there didn't seem to be any buttons to control the lift! "Hey! What the...Flash! Did you shut those doors on me? Listen mister, this is not funny! Flash? Miss Lopez!" Starting to get a little upset at being apparently trapped, Jenny called out first to her fellow college freshman, and then at the older woman who had been driving the two of them when they were caught by the weather. Vivian Lopez ran a bookstore in town, a quaint little place which was a little too stuffy (and a lot too expensive) for Jenny's preferences; they weren't close, but she seemed like a nice lady, and was friends with Sarah Granville, the mother of Jenny's friend Caitlyn.

"Miss Lopez? Uh, Vivian? Could you--AH!" Suddenly, as if reacting to Jenny's rising distress, the old elevator lurched into motion! She couldn't tell for sure, but it seemed to be going up...and up, and up, and up (hadn't this old house had only two floors?). And then...suddenly...it FELL!
► Show Spoiler
Some chaperone I am, Vivian thought gloomily as she looked about the Entrance Hall which she was suddenly alone in. So busy admiring the decor of this old dump that I let the children run off by themselves. Oh, I suppose at 20 and 21, they aren't really "children" anymore, but still, I was supposed to be responsible for them. Well, I'll go after Jenny first, she's a responsible girl and once I collect her, she'll know better than to run off again. After that we can go after that hothead Williams boy; I don't know what she sees in him, but I'm not hiking up all those stairs if I don't have to. Maybe when he realizes we're not up to sporting around with him, he'll come back down. While subvocalizing these thoughts, Vivian crossed the Foyer in pursuit of Jenny, not realizing that the door which had closed behind her now had a different room on the other side.

Entering a magnificent Conservatory, with one wall all of glass facing out toward the entrance and giving a splendid (if rain-spattered) view of the surrounding countryside, Vivian then turned around toward the other side of the room...and was startled to discover that it contained a coffin! The vessel was standing open, and with a morbid curiosity, the forty-two-year-old woman walked over to look inside it...whereupon she found that its occupant looked exactly like herself! However, she blinked and the image was gone; the coffin stood empty and spotless again, and Vivian chided herself for having an overactive imagination.
► Show Spoiler
Not wanting to fight the winds which howled across the open Tower, especially not now when he was still feeling rather shaken-up, Flash went back through the door into the Upper Landing, and listened for a moment. He couldn't hear any trace of the two females in the house below, so with a shrug he went back to exploring, taking the door to his right. It proved to be a rather ordinary Bedroom, with a slightly grimy mattress he didn't feel like testing and a door opening in the far wall; a small window with curtains looked out away from the Tower he'd just come from. From somewhere in the room, he could hear a little "Drip...Drip...Drip..." sound; there must be a leak in the roof or something, ("Drip...Drip...Drip...") with the gutters overflowing from all the rain, ("Drip...Drip...Drip...") although the sound was a too slow for it to be much of a flood threat. ("Drip...Drip...Drip...") Still, it was really starting to get on his nerves.... ("Drip...Drip...Drip...")
► Show Spoiler
The doors of the Elevator slid open and Jenny staggered out, having picked herself up off the floor after the car had crashed into the basement. Her shoulder was throbbing, but she'd taken worse hits on the soccer team (more often from her teammates, who always called her a weirdo for not sharing their interest in gossip and television, than from the opponents). Unfortunately, she was now stuck downstairs, and with the possible exception of the lift, which did still appear to be working despite the crash, but she was understandably reluctant to trust it, she had no other way of getting back up. So there wasn't much to do but look around...at least her flashlight still worked in spite of the fall. Not wanting to go all the way across the dank, coal-piled chamber, she took the first door to her right, remembering the old maze-runner's rule to keep one hand on the wall, though in this case she preferred to obey it metaphorically, as the wall didn't look especially pleasant to actually touch.

In any event, Jenny now found herself in a rather well-maintained Game Room, which didn't look at all as though it belonged down here; the walls were paneled wood rather than the concrete of the chamber she'd just left, with a bearskin rug on the floor and a couple racks of deer antlers mounted on the wall. One comfortable-looking wingbacked chair was placed next to each of a large round poker table and a smaller square table with a chessboard on it, along with a couple smaller wooden chairs (one of them lying on its side); a dead lamp lay on the floor nearby, and a stuffed trout on a wooden backboard lay perilously close to the old radiator in the corner, with a mousetrap on the other side. Hands of cards, piles of poker chips, and a tumbler full of ancient brandy with a dead fly in it all occupied the big table, as if the room had been abandoned in the middle of a round. There were a few books on a shelf in the corner next to the lamp, but just at the moment Jenny was in far less of a mood to read than usual.
► Show Spoiler
Taking one step back into what she'd been sure was clear space a moment earlier, Jenny suddenly found herself colliding with a massive cobweb. She reached up to brush them aside...but they clung to her, seeming fresh and sticky and of improbable strength. It took a great effort for her to wrench herself free...but once this was done, she felt as if she'd popped her dislocated shoulder back into place.

Vivian had no idea how Jenny had disappeared from this room, which had no other visible exits, but she could see no evidence of anything else to do in here, so she went back out into the Foyer and then crossed it, opening the door on the far side. It was as if this house were determined to dazzle her, for she now found herself in a beautiful formal ballroom, the floor still polished to a seductive slickness and the chandelier overhead brilliantly lit (apparently at least part of the house still had electricity). Overcome with whimsy and feeling twenty years younger than she was, the spinster stepped out onto the dancefloor and twirled in place a couple of times.

When she came to a stop, there was a foot-tall mannequin sitting in the middle of the dancefloor, which she was certain hadn't been there a moment ago. With a puzzled expression, she took a single step toward the curious object. That was her mistake.
► Show Spoiler
Still not sure exactly what had just happened, Vivian staggered back, pulling a tiny spear from the wound in her side; it was so fragile that it broke in her hand, yet somehow it had pierced completely through her body, probably just missing a couple of vital organs. Overcome with agony, she slumped to the floor for a long moment.

Upstairs, Flash turned his back on the drippy bedroom and tried the next door; it led into a Research Laboratory! Ye gads, this place is random, the track star mused, looking about at the banks of beakers and vials, the handsome black marble countertops, the tile floor with a drain in the center and a large puddle of orangish-pink liquid oozing slowly into it, the radio in the corner with a weird electrical device across from it, the cabinet full of extra "dishes" (that was a lousy word for them since they were clearly scientific rather than domestic, but he couldn't think what exactly to call them otherwise)....what a lot of junk. Who on earth LIVES like this? A bedroom right next to a mad scientist lab?
► Show Spoiler
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

willpell
Banned

Re: BAHOTH: Let's Play / Novelization

Post by willpell » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:59 pm

Alright, continuing on...

Darrin "Flash" Williams
Jenny LeClerc
Vivian Lopez

Curiously twiddling the dials on one of the odd electrical devices in the lab, Flash was surprised to discover that what started out as an oscilloscope suddenly tuned in a picture like an old TV, showing the exterior of the house just as it had looked when they'd arrived, only in broad daylight and with a ghostly couple silently strolling outside it, dressed in their wedding best. Wracking his brain for the rumors that circulated around town about the House on the Hill, he realized that these images matched the description of the former owners of the house....and on a whim, he spoke their names. Suddenly, the transparent figures in the blurry image looked at him, and whispered a phrase he couldn't quite understand.
► Show Spoiler
Knowing that the Elevator had to be off to her right, Jenny went left out of the Game Room, only to find her way blocked by a sprawling labyrinth filled with bones...the Catacombs! From the darkness ahead, the scent of death, a growl, and something lunged.
► Show Spoiler
Knowing nothing of Jenny's own pain, Vivian finally managed to shrug off hers, get up, and stagger through the door to the right, hopefully leading back toward the front of the house. No such luck; she was now in a Graveyard. A graveyard which was somehow filled with Smoke! One of the small mausolea was open, and apparently doubled as a chimney for the house's furnace or something; the choking black fumes brought tears to Vivian's eyes as she stumbled backward.
► Show Spoiler
Disgusted with his lack of progress, Flash was determined not to turn back and go downstairs again empty-handed, nor did he want to find out what was behind Door #4 in this crazy architect's designs, so he continued out the other side of the Laboratory. Whereupon, he found...the other Laboratory! Well, that at least sort of makes sense... the youth mused as he stared bemusedly at the bloodstained operating table surrounded by multiple banks of rusty-looking surgical tools.

Little did he know that at the same moment, mists poured out from the walls of the Catacombs downstairs, taking the shape of faces both human and inhuman. But Jenny saw easily that the faces were only tricks of light and shadow, and she was not afraid. Well, not of mere hallucinations at least; she had a massive bite wound which was of far greater immediate concern.
► Show Spoiler
Having no interest in trying to summon the courage to wade through the Catacombs, Jenny proceeded back through the Game Room (a Game Room next to a Catacombs? The owner of this House must have played for some rather grisly stakes!), out into the Basement Landing, and then across to an unexplored door. She emerged into a Gymnasium, finding that in among all the exercise equipment you'd expect to find, someone had left an authentic-looking Crystal Ball sitting on a stand next to the lockers. Looking into the huge glass marble, she saw hazy images which didn't look like they were of the room beyond, and seemed to be moving; on impulse, she took the hand-sized ball out of its holder and pocketed it. She then went looking through the lockers and managed to find some gauze to bind up the wound on her leg.
► Show Spoiler
Vivian hastily fled the Smoking Graveyard, crossing the Ballroom to explore the room beyond. It proved to be no room at all, but a path winding through a square of Gardens flanked by impassible cast-iron fences towering on both sides, with the bulk of the House itself looming just beyond to the left.
► Show Spoiler
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:06 pm

Again, I resume.

Darrin "Flash" Williams
Jenny LeClerc
Vivian Lopez

Flash discovered that beyond the Operating Laboratory, there was another bedroom, but this one much larger and fancier - a Master Bedroom. Two large curtained windows looked out over the rolling countryside - the storm was letting up, it seemed, but that was far from the most pressing of problems by now - and the bed was clean, lushly blanketed, and looked rather inviting. But no, this was no time for a nap, not even among silk sheets and an inordinate number of pillows. Although, they did look very soft...maybe just a touch...wait, what's this? Under one of the pillows, there was a somber Mask....
► Show Spoiler
Feeling slightly recovered, though still pretty weak, Jenny exited the Gymnasium and found an Organ Room, with an incongruous 7 pews facing the great pipe organ. Thinking that making a little noise might summon one of the others to help, she went up and pressed a few of the keys at random, but produced no sound; suddenly, however, a section of the wall slid away to reveal a Secret Passage! Crawling into the moldy tunnel, she emerged to find herself in the Gardens.
► Show Spoiler
"Really, dear, if you must go wandering off, you only have yourself to blame for whatever happens...a pipe organ, you say? Well, that does sound interesting, I think I'll just go have a quick look..." Succumbing to the lure of curiosity, Vivian crawled into the Secret Passage and emerged downstairs; before she could investigate the Organ, however, she noticed the far door banging shut, and thinking that somehow Darrin had wound up down here, she hurried to catch him. Instead, she found herself in a cryptlike room whose floor consisted entirely of gray stone blocks, with an immense pentagram painted on the floor in white. As a lifelong reader with an interest in "unusual subjects" Vivian had naturally heard of this occult symbol, but dismissed the tales as the work of overactive imaginations and thought nothing of strolling across the border of the circle and through the lines of the five-pointed star, until she stood at the exact center. There, on the floor, she found a Spirit Board, its logo half-worn off so that only the letters "uij" remained.
► Show Spoiler

Flash left the Master Bedroom, the Mask dangling jauntily from one hand, and found his path blocked by the massive iron door of a Vault. Having no clue what the combination might be, he spun the dial of the lock at random, only to have a section of the floor open up nearby, revealing Secret Stairs. Convenient, that; he'd been worried he'd have to walk all the way back to the Upper Landing before getting out of this cul-de-sac. However he opted not to leave this room until he'd taken another crack at the Vault; thinking back on the words of the ghostly couple he'd glimpsed on that strange scope, he wondered if they might have been trying to give him the numbers which would open the door.

But no such luck, he found. So he decided to head down the Secret Stairs, ignoring the horrible creaking sound all around him. He was disappointed to find himself in the Basement Landing, but just before stepping out, he found a portrait hanging incongruously on the wall just inside the passage, with a Locked Safe behind it. His mind still filled with dreams of kewl lewt, he eagerly grabbed and twisted the dial, only to have blades emerge from it and lacerate his palm!
► Show Spoiler
Glad to be back aboveground, but eager to get out of what remained of the rain (Vivian had said it was "refreshing" at its diminished intensity, but she didn't agree), Jenny was on the far side of the Gardens and didn't know that the Ballroom from which Vivian had come would lead back to the Entrance Hall, so she tried the nearest door and emerged into a Creaky Hallway. Nothing got in her way, so she turned right and emerged into a Dusty Hallway. Still nothing happened to slow her down (she'd have been out of steam by now if she were still walking on a bleeding leg, but the stop in the Gymnasium had restored her to her usual gait), so she turned right again - and fell through the floor of a Collapsed Room. She fell into a Chasm spanned by a narrow, rickety rope bridge, which she just managed to grab before plummetting into the yawning abyss below; the impact nearly wrenched her arm out of her socket, and for a long and horrifying moment she dangled, before managing to writhe her wounded leg up onto a crumbled concrete ledge. Squirming and wriggling in desperate panic, she finally managed to get her whole body up onto what remained of the floor, where she lay gasping in exhaustion, not sure when she could stand to move again.
► Show Spoiler
Vivian consulted her Spirit Board, finding that it spelled out "S-T-A-T-U-A-R-Y-C-O-R-R-I-D-O-R", and was irritated to notice that she was too far away from any open doors to be able to reach this new destination this turn - if she stayed in the basement. So she simply stepped across the pentagram, effortlessly recognizing the need not to step on any of the intersections which might have flayed her Sanity away (all of her occult Knowledge had been entirely trivial, she'd assumed for all of her years, but this rather hyperactive Spirit Board seemed sufficient proof that it was time to start believing), and went back through the Secret Passage to the Gardens, out into the Creaky Hallway, and left rather than right. Lo and behold, it was indeed the Statuary Corridor. Which, for some reason, had a Closet Door in it, open just a crack. "There must be something inside," she mused aloud, having long since lost any great impetus to avoid talking to herself.

She opened the door, and saw that It Is Meant To Be.
► Show Spoiler
Having heard the commotion of Jenny's fall and peeked through the door, Flash saw that she was injured and exhausted, but decided against trying to actually help her in any way; as had been previously established, he was kind of a jerk to her sometimes. So instead, he decided to get in the Mystic Elevator, though he didn't know about that first word; when the door closed itself behind him and he found himself with no idea how to steer, he reflected for a moment that perhaps this was Karma at work. He looked upward for a moment, half-expecting to see Ceiling Cat looking down at him disapprovingly (what could he say, the Internet had more impact on his belief system than some old book full of Proverbs and Deuteronomy); instead, the action seemed to serve as an instruction, and the lift rose. It released him back up on the first floor, where he stepped out into the still-annoyingly-drippy Bedroom; he headed through that, across the Upper Landing, and through its remaining unexplored door, this being the limit of his remaining Speed. He now found himself in pretty much what you expect to find on the top floor of old houses, a Room full of Junk. But apparently the owner of that junk, and perhaps of the house itself, didn't want to share, for a raving, frothing Madman now appeared before Flash!

"So, uh...this your house?" Flash asked, feeling like he ought to say something at least.

"Sgraugh, gwigglybgffggah sperauglfmgwah xshuggzyt!" the madman replied, gesticulating furiously but not seeming particularly aggressive.

"Oh. Well, it's...very nice." The madman seemed satisfied with that.
► Show Spoiler
Hobbling across the Basement Landing, Jenny opened a new door and discovered the Stairs from Basement leading back up to the Foyer (the same Foyer from which the Mystic Elevator had departed, and the Stairs were now in the place where it had briefly appeared; rather silly, that). She lacked the energy to climb more than halfway up, however.
► Show Spoiler
Wasting no more time on the Closet, Vivan continued past the Statuary Corridor and into a Chapel, with many tall, thin windows behind a pulpit facing eight pews. Here, she saw two boys playing with a wooden top. "Would you like a turn, Jonah?" one asked. "No," said Jonah, "I want ALL the turns." Jonah took the top and hit the other boy in the face. The boy fell, and Jonah continued hitting the boy as they faded from view. The sight was shocking, or at least it should have been, but by now, Vivian had become rather blase about strange happenings, and even found the existence of the supernatural strangely comforting.
► Show Spoiler
Attempting to force his way through the clutter of the Junk Room, Flash barked his shins on the corner of something, but didn't let it slow him down any more than he already had been (it really wasn't his evening). With the Madman obediently tagging along behind him like a dog (if dogs were in the habit of babbling incessantly), Darrin continued straight through into the Library, where a thousand bugs spilled out on his skin, under his clothes, and in his hair. (Presumably they were silverfish, who feed on the paste in book bindings, and flourish in damp conditions such as those of a house which has drippy leaks on the top floor during a rainstorm.) Spazzing the f*** out and receiving absolutely no help from his Madman, Darrin finally managed to get himself back under control, and looked in sad helplessness at his now-terrifying Mask, which he knew he would probably never dare try on anymore, lest he end up as loony as his new companion. Having nothing better to do, he sat down in a chair and picked up a book to read, having first checked both extensively to be sure they contained no bugs.
► Show Spoiler
Jenny headed back to the Basement Landing to try the Wall Safe (presumably it's sitting out in plain view now). In so much pain from her earlier ordeal that nothing more could affect her through the adrenaline, she ignored the jabbing of blades in her hand as she twisted the dial, but verified that she wasn't accomplishing anything by it either, and finally decided to limp up the Secret Stairs and try the Vault instead, which was even less likely to yield to her but it was better than doing nothing at all. Failing, she slumped against the Vault door in defeat.

Vivian traveled back through Corridor and Hallway, wondering to herself what made one differ from the other in any meaningful sense, and took a left into an Abandoned Room. Here, on a makeshift pedestal in the center of the room, there stood a Book, which she took from its nook so she could look. Enriching her mind, she realized that she had forgotten to check the Spirit Board, but then realized it didn't matter; her acquisition of this Book was pre-ordained, and now its secrets flowed through her mind, boosting her Knowledge to an unprecedented height of acumen among all the attributes of herself or her compatriots. Assuming, in fact, they still were her compatriots, and would not now fear her for the wisdom she had gained...
► Show Spoiler
My long-neglected blog.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:53 pm

Darrin "Flash" Williams
Jenny LeClerc
Vivian Lopez
A Madman
► Show Spoiler
Up on the third floor, Jenny and Flash could hear a dry, rasping sound echoing through the house. At first both idiosyncratically suspected that giant rattlesnakes were coming to get them (later, when they had a quiet moment together...possibly postmortem, let it be quickly said lest I be accused of spoilering...they would reflect on how odd it was that they would both jump to such an outre conclusion at the same time, and share a laugh at how they both thought along the same strange lines when they weren't too busy arguing with each other). But then they could see the tendrils of vines pressing against the windows, cracking and bursting the glass, and they realized that the plants were coming--coming for them.

"I've always liked plants," Vivian informed herself, setting the Book down. "I should have known I was wasting my life collecting books; I just wanted to make living, green, peaceful things grow. Well, it sounds like they're growing now. I wonder why they only just started. Was it me? Did I need to symbolically reject this book, this thing made from dead trees, and now that I have, I'm being blessed by the approach of incredibly powerful vegetation? Surely, this is the supernatural force I felt before...the burgeoning power of the earth, eager to reclaim this rotting hulk of civilized construction. I think I should help it along, shouldn't I? What do plants need to thrive? Light, water, and...oh yes, fertilizer? Ah, and what would make good fertilizer? Why, those two ungrateful brats that I've been chasing around all day. All they do is argue and fight and roughhouse...I'm too old to have to listen to such horseplay all day. They were bound to end up in the earth someday, nourishing the growth of grass and vines...and why put off 'til tomorrow, what they can do today?"

The Creepers emerged from the soil of the Gardens, crept up over the edges of the Tower, and burst in through the windows of both Bedrooms, the Grand Staircase, and the Chapel. At the base of each Creeper was a Root, from which a Tip slowly coiled forth. In the Vault, Jenny shrieked as the vine snaked in through the window of the adjacent room; Flash was further away, but might not remain so for long, what with his legs not being as fast as they used to be.

(And haunt setup has taken me long enough that I'm going to break yet again before continuing with the actual haunt.)
My long-neglected blog.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:01 pm

Okay, hopefully this will be the last post for this game; I'm already staying up past my bedtime to finish this, but hey it's the weekend.

Darrin "Flash" Williams
Jenny LeClerc
Vivian Lopez
A Madman

Flash didn't much like having to wade back through the Junk Room, but there was little enough choice; he knew that nothing he could do was going to have much effect on the Creepers he could hear growing up all around the house, but he'd received a sudden premonition that there was a Book in an Abandoned Room downstairs which contained the secret of the plants' absurdly accelerated growth - and how to reverse it. Heading back, he managed to convince the Madman to help him move things out of the way and get through in one piece; heading down the Grand Staircase, he found that a Creeper blocked his path; in order to get out of the room, he'd have to wrestle the Tip into submission, but he had no idea how strong it was and didn't want to risk letting it choke him, so he simply ended his turn, hoping he hadn't made a horrible mistake by coming this way.

Entirely abandoning all thought of opening the Wall Safe, Jenny gave the Vault dial one frantic spin, then gave up and hobbled down the Secret Stairs and back up into the Stairs From Basement, knowing full well there was little hope she could escape the pursuing vines.

Vivian had no particular agenda at the moment, being unable to attack the two youngsters to any real effect; she did still have the Spirit Board, however, and saw no reason not to use it to her advantage. Peeking at a non-ground-floor room she was unlikely to be able to reach, she moved her hands on the board, spelling out "S-T-O-R-E-R-O-O-M", but at the same time communicating to the proto-mind of the hungry vines that she was in the Abandoned Room. From the Chapel and Gardens, two Tips writhed toward her; two others reached into the Upper Landing, and the one in the Grand Staircase she of course ordered to remain where it was.
► Show Spoiler
Climbing down an inanimate vine which had snaked its way through the Collapsed Room, which could twitch just enough to throw a climber off it, but which she cooed soothingly at using the secrets of the Book she'd read and discarded, Vivian made her way to the far side of the Chasm, whose bridge had also been reinforced by the Creepers so that she could cross it without fear. The Storeroom was there just as she'd expected, and she found an Axe therein, which she felt she ought to keep out of the two children's hands, lest they use it on one of her precious plants.

The Creepers writhed into animation, twitching lazily toward their targets; the one with a root in the Gardens ended up back in the Gardens after having briefly reached toward its mistress, while the one from the Chapel was now two rooms away, guarding the approach to the Book. The two from the Upper Landing wound their way down the Grand Staircase, and the one that was already there simply made a grab for Flash, but was terribly unlucky and wound up getting the worst of the struggle.
► Show Spoiler

Flash made a dash and got as far as the Gardens, having had to weave around the Tip that was in his way. He was still far from out of the woods....

Jenny hadn't gazed into her crystal ball this entire time; there didn't seem to be much point now, but she had little enough else to try and do besides becoming fertilizer, so after walking up into the Ballroom, she gave it a shot. Summoning the courage to see what she hoped rather than what she feared, she learned that the next item someone would find would be the Healing Salve which she desperately needed.

Vivian spelled out S-E-R-V-A-N-T-S-Q-U-A-R-T-E-R-S on her Spirit Board before moving, then walked across the Chasm, through the Basement Landing, and out the far door of the Game Room into the Servants' Quarters, where she found a Holy Symbol. It all made sense now...the house had belonged to a deranged scientist experimenting on vegetation, but his groundskeeper had been a devotee of the Old Religion, and had used this mystic emblem to call up the power of the Cthonic Goddess to turn his experiment against him. Now she was retracing the path of that brave gardener, and summoning the power of the Green against a new generation of arrogant, destructive humans who cared only about themselves. "But I don'wanna die," she mocked them aloud to herself. "How selfish! The Mother Earth gave you your lives, and she can take them back anytime she pleases."

As if strengthened by their mistress's discovery, the Creepers redoubled their Speed this turn. Two Tips came down as far as the Foyer, and one wound down the Secret Stairs and back up into the Stairs From Basement; the one with a Root in the Chapel moved into the Gardens with Flash, and the one he'd Stunned woke back up rather than moving. The one in the Ballroom with Jenny made a grab for her, and both of them flailed about rather uselessly, but there was so much more vine to do the flailing that inevitably, she was entangled, her Crystal Ball rolling free from nerveless fingers.

Flash managed to tie his attacker in a knot, but then he faced a dilemma. He could run to the Abandoned Room, grab the Book and run back, but that would be leaving Jenny to her fate; not knowing exactly how Creepers work, he couldn't be sure how long she'd last. However he was still weaker than the Creepers, and if his luck ran out and the Creeper beat him, he'd be stuck, further away from the Book than he was now. Ultimately, he decided that he'd better not risk it; as has been previously established, he's something of a jerk. Upon gaining the Book, he came to understand what a coward he'd been (though this was the only thing he learned), and rather than heading back to his starting point, he went into the Statuary Corridor to try the Closet. Out fell a pair of Skeletons..."mother and child, still embracing"...and he was so shocked that he forgot everything the Book had taught him, except for that one fact.
► Show Spoiler
Jenny heaved and strained mightily, but could not break the Creeper's grasp.

Vivian took a leisurely stroll through the Catacombs, seeing in its carpet of bones only more evidence that individual lives are but specks of dust in the endless ocean of life (hey, she was evil, who was going to tell her not to mix her metaphors?), having not bothered to check the Spirit Board and confirm that the Wine Cellar was coming up. Here she found the Healing Salve that Jenny had hoped to acquire, immediately using it to refresh herself, not that it mattered much since it's not like she was in any danger. Still, it would keep those damn kids from prolonging the inevitable any further. This house was hers now, for however long it still stood; all its secrets were hers to divine, for the Mother's vines reached everywhere within it, even if most of them were ordinary, lazy tendrils rather than the hungry, powerful Creepers.

The Vines were as fast this turn as last; three of them awaited Flash in the Gardens, blocking him from any hope of getting through to the main hall. A fourth one then followed them into the room, while a fifth entered the Ballroom it had just left; this fourth vine, of course, carried a special cargo, whose name had previously been Jenny LeClerc, but was about to become "mud".

Knowing he could do nothing to help Jenny now, Flash raced into the Collapsed Room and threw himself down it; he was lucky enough to land well on the far side of the Chasm, but couldn't quite bring himself to cross it. Fortunately the Creepers would need a minute to follow him here.

Jenny's last, valiant effort to save herself almost succeeded. And, as if the universe itself couldn't bear to see her succumb, her vain effort just managed to slip her free. Knowing she could accomplish nothing other than to provide Flash with a distraction, she tumbled into the Hallway, able to get no further while the creepers lashed at her heels.
► Show Spoiler
Having no particular agenda, Vivian wandered back through the Catacombs and across the Chasm, just able to make it that far, and gave the Axe a swing at Flash's face just for something to do. She wasn't much for muscle, but he was only a little better; he managed to bat the blow aside without harm but was unable to lash out at her in the process...but the Madman could! "Blauuughlldeeblarfghlarrrng!" the maniac howled as he tore out a handful of Vivian's hair, slowing her down just a mite.

The Creepers crept at their usual pace, two coiling after Jenny while the others made a train for the Foyer and the Secret Stairs. The Garden-Creeper managed to entangle Jenny again.

Flash wasted no time dealing with Vivian, instead summoning all his Speed to hurl himself across the Chasm without daring to look down. He got as far as the Master Bedroom, where a Root posed no impediment to him.

Jenny failed to escape her Creeper.

Vivian sauntered up after Flash and took another swing at him with the Axe; he and his Madman again bested her and dished out a little damage.

This turn, the creepers were really fast, perhaps drawn to the scent of their mistress's spilled blood; two of them made it as far as Flash's room, and two more were in hot pursuit right behind. Creeper #3's root was right here in the Master Bedroom, so it was the one most interested in grabbing Flash; it would have a delicious dinner the very next turn if it could hold onto him long enough to drag him underground (well, out the window and underground, I guess, unless there's a really big windowbox just inside the Bedroom). His freakish luck had to run out eventually; the Creeper got a really good hold, and he couldn't escape.

Rolling against the Creeper holding him, Flash managed to just barely break away*, and could make it only 1 space. The Research Laboratory where he needed to go was still one more door away. He just hadn't been quite fast enough.

► Show Spoiler
Jenni managed to break completely free of the Creeper and then headed through the Secret Passage, getting back into the Gymnasium. Too bad there was nothing more she could do to help herself heal her wounds.

Vivian followed Flash and attacked him again, producing exactly the same result as before - one damage to herself. The difference was that this time, it took the last bit of wind out of her sails; her Speed fell to minimum.

The Creepers were slow when they needed not to be; only two of them managed to keep up with Flash. #3 grabbed at him, got a really good hold, and lost anyway as he and his Madman both exerted maximum possible force. The other Creeper, whose Root was back on the Grand Staircase, made an even more feeble effort, but Flash's luck did not hold and he was Grappled.

Summoning another improbable burst of strength, Flash managed to get away, and finally staggered into the Research Lab. Tossing the Book onto a workbench where it miraculously fell open to the page with a formula for "Plant Spray", he set to work and managed to brew up the lethal herbicide. He unfortunately had no energy left to go back into the Operating Lab and kill one of the plants which still threatened him.

Jenny frantically scampered up the Secret Stairs into the Vault room, where she spun the dial one more time, to no effect.

Vivian followed Darrin between the Labs and again made a chop with her axe; the Madman however got behind her, twisted the Axe in her grip, and pulled it backward, completely severing her head with the force of her own wild swing. Her bouncing cranium's last, fading thought was regret that she never got to write all this down; it would have made a great novel, and she guessed she did still care about books a little.
► Show Spoiler
All four of the third-floor Creepers could easily reach Flash; one more made it upstairs to attack Jenny. #3, of course, took the first swing at Flash, and got him; he dropped the Plant Spray, though the Creepers couldn't do anything to it after that, and the other three in the room were somewhat useless; it might have been better to send two after Jenny. As it was, the one that was with her managed to lose the battle.

Flash failed to break the Creeper's grip.

Jenni remained slow and could not reach the room with the Spray.

Flash was reeled in back to Creeper #3's base, then three more Creepers dogpiled on Jenny, with the last two in the Vault room (one recovering from stun, the other back up from the third floor). Creeper #1 grappled Jenny with a roll she couldn't possibly oppose.

Jenni struggled free of the Creeper's grip*, stumbling into the next room and getting the Plant Spray. Again, she could move no further, nor do I believe the rules allow you to use an item the turn you pick it up from the ground (though it can generally be used the turn it first comes into existence, whether as a card or through a Haunt, or at least so I believe).

Out of turn, Flash just managed to break free of the Creeper*; having no need to go after the Plant Spray again, he tried for the Vault, not quite getting it open.

► Show Spoiler
Three creepers closed in on each hero. #3 failed miserably against Flash, #8 tied*, and #7 was just pathetic. #1 easily and inexorably captured Jenny.

Having stunned two of the three Creepers attacking him, Flash was actually able to get from the Vault room back to the Laboratory and reclaim the spray, though again I felt sure he couldn't yet use it. I decided that he must have picked up the Axe after Vivian's death, despite not having mentioned it before, so I figured he'd actually attack a Creeper to try and stun it, choosing to target #1 in the hope of freeing Jenny. With the Axe, he was even-up with the vine, but rolled poorly and tied.*

► Show Spoiler
Unable to do anything more to help Flash, Jenni made a doomed attack on Creeper #1, but failed.

Creepers were slow, and only one of those in the Vault room could move anyway, plus #1 was busy dragging Jenni to its root back in the Drippy bedroom. (Her rolls to escape would actually be penalized here; I'm not sure whether or not it's appropriate that an annoying "Drip...Drip...Drip...." sound should make it harder to break free of a killer vine trying to mulch you.) This left only two to try and grapple Flash; could both of them fail? Well, one of them did. The other, however, did not, and the Plant Spray was dropped again (along with the Mask, Book, and Axe, which probably should have been dropped long ago).

Flash failed to break away from creeper #11.

Jenny succumbed to the hypnotic, lulling "Drip" and gave up the struggle, slipping into a dreamless sleep as her strength finally gave out.

The Creepers were slow, but for #1 of them, that didn't matter; it had its meal at long last, and it and Jenny were removed from the board. #11 dragged Flash back to the Grand Staircase.

Flash broke free of Creeper #11, continuing to show his contempt for the laws of statistics. He ran back upstairs, grabbed the Plant Spray, and had enough movement to run back to the Upper Landing again.

Creepers were really, really fast this turn; all four of the still-mobile ones lunged into the Grand Staircase and grabbed at Flash, starting with #3, which easily overpowered him. And at this point, I decided that there was just zero possibility I was ever going to win this fight with either side; Flash couldn't possibly win all four attacks every single turn, and was just going to keep dropping the Plant Spray and picking it up again. The plants long ago would have won this if not for my generous houserule, and it was clear that the narrowest possible chance of the players actually pulling out a victory thanks to that houserule had failed; it was two hours past my intended bedtime and I was just going to call it a day. So all three explorers died, and Mother Nature reclaimed the house. The end.

Well, that was an excellent way to kill six or seven hours and avoid utter mind-numbing boredom. Let me know if you're interested in hearing any more of these accounts.
My long-neglected blog.