Escape! (Turn 118)

Home to all current Forum Games.
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Re: Escape! (Turn 113)

Post by WearsHats » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:08 pm

Anyone else have any ideas?
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Escape! (Turn 113)

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:17 pm

Hey folks, I'm putting this on hiatus for a short while until I get God School sorted out :) We shall be back in a few weeks!

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Escape! (Temporary Hiatus)

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:12 am

Afternoon all! just a quick note to let you all know that I intend to resume updating this game some time this week, so if you need to get caught up on the story so far, or have any questions about what the hell is going on please do!

Thank you for all your patience, I do appreciate it :D

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Escape! (Returning to normal-ish service)

Post by WearsHats » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:02 am

Yay! Welcome back!
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Escape! Turn 114

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:42 pm

Turn 114
> Balt: "run" from the guy who want to get him in the most attention drawing way, in the OTHER direction that Nyk needs to be going.
> Balt: Lead them away and distract them

aLL tHE bLOODY pOWERS oF tHE pIT aND tHEY wANT mE tO rUN lIKE a bLOODY mORTAL rABBIT. tHIS nEVER, eVER eNDS wELL.

Balt starts running through the town to lead the creatures away from Nyk. He gets precisely 5 steps away before he is tripped by a weighted rope and brought down. With a sigh, he teleports back to Shuuk.

As for the 'contract' thing, there's no need to bother asking those guys since it's common knowledge amongst demonkind. At the end of the last war with Merilla, a contract was written up to ensure that she would remain trapped within the mortal realm for all time and cut off from her powers. Thanks to their skill in legal-contract writing and their ruthless adherence to the letter of the law, as well as their expertise in multi-dimensional magics, they were charged to be her jailers and bound themselves to be neutral arbiters in any and all future conflicts. Most of the citizens of the mortal realm argued relentlessly on the stupidity of allowing evil creatures to jail one of their own, but frankly, no other beings could match Merilla's skill at that time, so they eventually stopped arguing. Also, mortals are unfortunately mortal and most of the original committee died before negotiations ended. The next committee were somewhat less dedicated to contract law and decided just to agree.

However, since those original mortals weren't entirely stupid (depending on your perspective), they insisted on including a clause that prevented any demons from participating in any future conflicts involving Merilla. And breach of contract is a very serious (and long, and very boring) business.
> Nyk: keep going towards the portal. SNEAKY.

Nyk takes advantage of the temporary chaos with Balt to sneak back up to the sand trap room in the messenger minion's shadow. He gets lucky and manages to make it all the way there without incident! Yay!
> Shuuk: Keep questioning the mini bureaucrat

Shuuk grinds the gnome's face into the sand a little bit more and starts asking more questions

"Where exactly is the other side of the portal located?"
"Pfffft....! <cough> Who the hell ARE you!? It's the bloody HQ obviously! And you should know that too! You're no employee!! GUARDS! GUARDS!!! HELP!"

Which is roughly when Balt 'ports into the room shortly followed by a guy screaming "DEMON!" at the top of his lungs while Nyk tags along behind. He stops short when he spots Balt and Shuuk and promptly turns and runs back out to raise the alarm in the other direction.

"I'm guessing this is pretty bad, yeah?"
i wOULD eXPECT tHAT tHE iSSUE oF mY cONTRACTUAL oBLIGATIONS wILL sHORTLY bE nOTICED bY tHE lAWYERS oF tHE pIT aND tHAT i wILL sOON bE rEMOVED fROM yOUR sERVICE uNTIL iT cAN bE dETERMINED wHICH cONTRACT i aM eXPECTED tO fOLLOW. i sUSPECT mY sUPERIOR hAS bEEN oVERLOOKING tHE iSSUE sO fAR, bUT oFFICIAL cOMPLAINTS aRE tRICKY tO iGNORE.
"And that will take some time I imagine?"
dECADES, mOST lIKELY. iF yOU wANT mE tO hELP sMOOSH aNYONE eLSE, wE'D bETTER hURRY uP.
"You're leaving?! NO!! Don't go! You can't go!"

Waaaaaaaay underground, Jorgen and his intrepid team explain what the hell has been going on. When he's finished, the Doorman looks pensive for a while before speaking.

"If yoo speek troo-foolee, Merilla has onlee just been set free agen. So shee canut huf set fayur too yoor sky hundreds of yeers ago... This is veree seereeus... We haf been complasent too long. So manee yeers in th'Dark!"

He spins around and glares at the strange throned creature.

"Yoo haf kept uss heer lyk slaves! See how yoo lyk it now. Gards! Hastuk-lu! Shorvk dun-li hek nurhezk."

At his order, the crowd swells forward and grab the throned creature, sweeping it off into one of the many passages leading off the great hall, while others raid the great pile of treasures and junk.

"Wee haf been colekting surfas things for centoorees. Wee haf plentee of tools and wepons, but theyr ur onlee a few of us hoo can remembur owur old ways and how too fite. I am sorree. We haf not prepared. But if yoo ur enemees of Merilla then wee wood stand besid yoo in the battul. I think wee mite surpriz yoo even now!"

------------------------------------------
► Show Spoiler

WhirdCheese
Enjoys Chitchat

Re: Escape! (Turn 114)

Post by WhirdCheese » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:34 am

Balt: Teleport to gnome before he sends his complaint and knock him out.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:51 am

So, wait. We've got the team together with the demon brand, and they're near the portal? And the portal goes to HQ?

Give Nyk the brand, and have him stealth. Shuuk, bALT, and Nyk then go through the portal.

Jorgen asks his newfound army what they think they can accomplish, then prepares to lead them out of the underdark. Maybe they can protect the humans? And cause enough of a distraction to help Team Shuuk?

Also, if demons aren't allowed to help Merilla, what are those things coming through the portal?

(Sorry if sleep-deprived brain is missing, forgetting, and/or misunderstanding important details. It's been a rough couple of weeks.)

► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:00 am

Suffocate the gnome in butts!

...what? You wanted a serious answer? Naaaaah

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:08 am

WearsHats wrote:Also, if demons aren't allowed to help Merilla, what are those things coming through the portal?
Those are ordinary monsters of the totally normal variety. Trolls, shapeshifters, ogres, stuff like that, but use your imagination cos my art is not really up to super-high levels of analysis! If anything important shows up I'll let you know in the text, otherwise just assume everything's a monster :)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:11 am

Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. :)

► Show Spoiler

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:03 pm

bALTHAZAR, review your knowledge of the contract that prevents you from getting through to Merilla. Find the loopholes which you can exploit. Demons surely left something in in case of such emergencies.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:32 pm

e.g. use the brooch to turn bALT into a snake again. Then he won't technically be a demon anymore, right?

Also, have "our side" point out that the contract was to serve Shuuk for his life time (or something like that) - which is pretty limited compared to demons and Merilla- and therefore that sorting out legal ... details for a few decades would be diminishing the worth of the original bargain by so much that the trade would have to be declared null and void and that Merilla would still/again be bound by whatever original contract the demons have cooked up for her. I'm sure whoever files the complaints on her behalf wouldn't want that... :tongue:
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Escape! (Turn 115)

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:05 am

Turn 115
> Teleport to gnome before he sends his complaint and knock him out.
> Suffocate the gnome in butts!

Shuuk decides to take drastic action to stop the gnome from filing his complaint and knocks him out using the power of butts! ...You're pretty sure something was lost in translation between the brain voices there somewhere, but whatever. The gnome is now thoroughly unconscious thanks to your noxious gas attack. Nyk looks like he might throw up, and Balt looks like it reminds him of home...
> Give Nyk the brand, and have him stealth.
He already has the brand in his treasure box of multiplying, but he turns on his stealth powers.
> Balt: Find the contract loopholes which you can exploit.
> have "our side" point out that the contract was to serve Shuuk for his life time

"There must be a way around all this! I need your help with this dammit and you're supposed to serve me for my entire life!"
...i wOULDN'T sHOUT tOO lOUDLY aBOUT tHAT, yOU aRE very sQUISHY eVEN fOR a mORTAL... aNYWAY, aS mUCH aS i wOULD lOVE tO sPEND more oF mY tIME iN tHE pRESENCE oF sTUPID mORTALS iN tHIS fREEZING cOLD pLANE oF eXISTENCE, i'M aFRAID mY kNOWLEDGE oF dEMONIC cONTRACT lAW wOULD nOT bE sUFFICIENT tO cONVINCE aNYONE oF aNYTHING. tHERE aRE cREATURES wHO hAVE eXISTED sINCE thE dAWN oF tIME wHOSE sOLE pURPOSE iS tO wRITE eVER-mORE-mISLEADING cONTRACTS wiTH wHICH tO fOOL tHE sIGNATORIES. iT'S kIND oF a nATIONAL pASSTIME.
> Shuuk, bALT, and Nyk then go through the portal.

Not wanting to hang around and wait for the monster-army to show up again, Shuuk, Nyk and Balt step through the portal where the two golems now stand idly in the sterile little office. As soon as Balt steps through however, a darkness falls over the room and a floating fireball materialises in front of him.

MINION BALTHAZAAR! YOU ARE HEREBY SUMMONED TO BEUROCRATIC PROCEDURES ROOM 8265B-1 REGARDING POSSIBLE BREACH OF CONTRACT. REPORT THERE IMMEDIATELY.

The fireball and the darkness disappear as quickly as they appeared.

hUH. tHAT wAS fASTER tHAT i tHOUGHT tHEY'D bE. mUST bE sERIOUS... oH wELL, sEE yOU aROUND pUNY mORTALS, i'D bETTER nOT kEEP tHEM wAITING! oH! bUT yOU'D bETTER hANG oN tO tHIS i gUESS...

Balt hands the Wand of Firestorm back to Shuuk and then with a crack, Balt vanishes.

"But... He's gone?! But we need him to smoosh the bad guys! BALT! COME BACK!"
"I think it's just you and me again for a bit Nyk... I'm sure he'll come back eventually. Come on, we'd better hurry up and get out of here before those monster guys realise what the hell is going on."

Glancing quickly around the sparse room, Shuuk notices a diagram on the wall, a filing cabinet and small bare desk. There are two doors in the far wall.
> Jorgen: Ask his newfound army what they think they can accomplish, then prepares to lead them out of the underdark.

Far underground, Jorgen prepares to lead an army out of the darkness...

"So... What do you think we can accomplish up there? I mean, last we saw, things were pretty bad. There was a whole city of human refugees forced into some ancient city and then Merilla's army-"
"SUM undergrownd citee? Yoo ur toking abowt owur old hom! Wee yoosed too lif in a hyooj citee far abuv us now with lots of uther creetoors and hoomins. Merilla miyt haf driven us owt wuns, but she will not do it agen! Today wee wil go hom and tayk owur citee bak! Wee haf secret tunels that wil tak uss bak theyr but yoo must not see them becos yoo ar not of th'Underdark. Yoo can cum with us if yoo agree to go blinded or yoo can go back the saym way yoo got heer if yoo preefer? Yoo wil find uss eesilee in battl aneeway I think!"

------------------------------------------
► Show Spoiler
SHUUK
INVENTORY: Demon broker's business card, torn oversized white robes, Makeshift bone hammer, non-magnifying spyglass, bag from shrine (containing: book, scrap of paper with numbers, letter, talisman, pouch of silver powder), Runed Battleaxe, Barman's Best Friend, Red Orb of Spying, gold tooth shaving, tiny lump of sulphur, Wand Of Firestorm (5 Charges, fire-based area attack)..
WEARING: Light armour, deerskin trousers, leather boots, tunic, leather belt, mysterious brooch, greaves.
ABILITIES: Summon demon

bALTHAZAAR
INVENTORY: Giant, glowing magical sword
WEARING: Giant chainmail shirt

NYK
INVENTORY: 1 Slime-covered (probably poisonous) dagger, Lucky pebble, bag of dried berries, ALL the squark keys, Box of Duplication (contains Demon Brand).
WEARING: Prisoners rags, Helmet of Plus-A-Jillion (bucket), Ninja mask, silver whistle + key, Really Boring Cloak.
ABILITIES: Sneak, Unarmed Attack, Detect Evil, Protection from Evil (passive).

JORGEN
INVENTORY: Pair of dice, ukulele, crossbow & bolts, firewall shield, longsword.
WEARING: City Watch uniform (leather trousers & boots, scale armour shirt, red tabard).
ABILITIES: Bard Songs

Redshirts x6
INVENTORY: 3x Simple swords, 3x Leather Armour.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:30 am

Shuuk: take a look at the diagram. If nothing useful is revealed take a peek into the file cabinet.

Nyk: try to listen in on both doors. If there are no noises from behind, open one ajar a little to look inside, then the other.
If encountering Merilla: Shuuk should distract her, until Nyk can "sneak attack - tag" her with the seal

Jorgen & redshirts: thank the underdarklings for their offer, but agree to meet them back in the underground city (e.g. at the barracks or any other point both parties know how to get to).
Then use the flaming shield to get back safely past the grues and use the squarks to get to the meeting point undisturbed.

If one of them feels like it, have one of the redshirts report to the captain (the one that rigged our execution, so that we could escape alive from it) what we have managed to accomplish so far (e.g. the underdarklings are willing to support us in the fight, but might not know the refugees from foes, so the captain might want to act quickly to protect them), and ONLY him.

bALT: Sing "I'm Henry the 8th I am" non stop, if only to annoy the lawyers. >:D
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:14 pm

I'd actually be inclined to have Jorgen go with the new guys, just for the novelty. And maybe he could be of help once they get up to the chaos of the city. New guys seem to know some things about what once was (which might prove useful) but Jorgen knows more about what's going on now. He might even be able to vouch for the new guys (they need a name...) when they meet up with the xenophobic human soldiers.

Otherwise, I agree with Gathers.

► Show Spoiler

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:31 am

Ignore Gathers' suggestion,bALTHAZAR. Everybody knows that "I'm Henry the Eighth I Am" concludes. Instead start humming "It Is The Song That Never Ends" and make your escape when the lawyers inevitably start singing it.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:17 pm

Ok, have Jorgen go with the new guys, but make sure he passes the shield of fire-whatever to the others, or we will just be giving the Grues a feast. :stab:

And bALT: I don't care WHAT you sing, as long as it's annoying as possible to the lawyers. >:D Or... helps you get away. o:) Either is good.
► Show Spoiler

friedkitty
Voices Opinions

Post by friedkitty » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:50 pm

Okay, having just spent the better part of a workday reading over this game from the beginning...shouldn't one of those redshirt guys go swimming under the sewerpit and check out that tunnel down there? I'm thinking it's gotta be something important, since it's so hard to get to.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:54 pm

Hooray! A new player! Welcome to the game friedkitty :-D

friedkitty
Voices Opinions

Post by friedkitty » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:44 pm

I shall do my best not to get anyone killed by my inexperience !

Wait are there water grues? :paranoia:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:52 pm

>:D There might be now

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:55 pm

Well done Fried. Well done.

/resumes lurking.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:34 pm

I command one of the redshirts that is going to the sewers to dance off the grue.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Escape! (Turn 116)

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:52 am

Turn 116
> take a look at the diagram. If nothing useful is revealed take a peek into the file cabinet.

Shuuk takes a look at the diagram. It appears to be some kind of map.
> try to listen in on both doors. If there are no noises from behind, open one ajar a little to look inside, then the other.

Nyk meanwhile listens against both doors, but doesn't hear anything. Cautiously, he nudges open one door and peeks inside to find another portal! Carefully peeking inside the other, he finds a stack of boxes, overflowing with papers, inks and a pile of other things he doesn't really recognise. Now that the door's open, he can hear a faint rustling from somewhere at the back...
> Sing something horribly annoying non stop, if only to annoy the lawyers.
Balt starts singing irritating songs over and over to himself. It doesn't seem to have any noticeable effect on the receptionist, but a couple of other people in the queue start sobbing quietly.
> I'd actually be inclined to have Jorgen go with the new guys
> have Jorgen go with the new guys

Jorgen passes his Shield of Firewall to the redshirts so they can get out of the pit alive, and opts to follow the locals back up to their ancient city. The doorkeeper raises a hand and whispers something and Jorgen's vision blurs to darkness. As they march, someone begins to sing and the crowd grows silent except for the sound of marching feet.

A young lad hangs behind to escort the remaining redshirts back out of tunnels to the entrance they came through.
> Send a redshirt to explore the underwater passageway
Jorgen instructs one of the redshirts to head back to an underwater passageway that he's never been to when they get out. The blonde guy volunteers, but it'll have to wait till they get back out to the main area. Their escort leads them back as far as the entraceway / grue pit and leaves them.

-----------------------------
► Show Spoiler
SHUUK
INVENTORY: Demon broker's business card, torn oversized white robes, Makeshift bone hammer, non-magnifying spyglass, bag from shrine (containing: book, scrap of paper with numbers, letter, talisman, pouch of silver powder), Runed Battleaxe, Barman's Best Friend, Red Orb of Spying, gold tooth shaving, tiny lump of sulphur, Wand Of Firestorm (5 Charges, fire-based area attack)..
WEARING: Light armour, deerskin trousers, leather boots, tunic, leather belt, mysterious brooch, greaves.
ABILITIES: Summon demon

bALTHAZAAR
INVENTORY: Giant, glowing magical sword
WEARING: Giant chainmail shirt

NYK
INVENTORY: 1 Slime-covered (probably poisonous) dagger, Lucky pebble, bag of dried berries, ALL the squark keys, Box of Duplication (contains Demon Brand).
WEARING: Prisoners rags, Helmet of Plus-A-Jillion (bucket), Ninja mask, silver whistle + key, Really Boring Cloak.
ABILITIES: Sneak, Unarmed Attack, Detect Evil, Protection from Evil (passive).

JORGEN
INVENTORY: Pair of dice, ukulele, crossbow & bolts, longsword.
WEARING: City Watch uniform (leather trousers & boots, scale armour shirt, red tabard).
ABILITIES: Bard Songs

Redshirts x6
INVENTORY: 3x Simple swords, 3x Leather Armour, Shield of Firewall.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:22 pm

Yay update!

So we're in Zone A and we need to get to Zone C and there's no obvious way there. There has to be communication between B and C, but that might well not include a physical portal. Also, there is no indication of which way Zone B even is from here, or what kind of security to expect. Hmm.

Well, let's see what the gods have provided us in the back of the supply closet, I guess.

No other ideas or suggestions at this time. And nothing to do with the others until they arrive.

► Show Spoiler