Escape! (Turn 118)

Home to all current Forum Games.
GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Re: Escape! (Turn 115)

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:22 pm

Shuuk: Check out the file cabinet. Maybe we can find some authorization in there or some way to get to "C"...

Nyk: sneak in there and check out the rustling

redshirts: go back through the grue pit and ride the suqarks to any safe spot in the city reasonably close to the meeting point with the Jorgen (I assume he told them where they were going to end up, at least)
Have one of them drop by with the captain and inform him what's going on
Have another one of them (the blonde guy) explore the underwater passageway

Jorgen: march along quietly and memorize the song that is sung, as well as any other noises you hear.

bALT: enjoy the people's sobs and continue singing. (finally he gets to agonize someone!) Also start to ask silly questions to the opposing laywers in between the verses.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:54 am

bALT: Since you're here and don't seem to be going anywhere for a while, study law, generally interfering with opposing council's activities, misfiling casework, etc. Maybe if you get in their way enough, they'll prefer you're keeping Shuuk busy while they manage their caseload.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:23 am

bALT, find a way to interfere with time and space so that 100 years pass on the dimensional plane where you are while mere minutes pass on the prime material plane.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Escape! (Turn 116)

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:52 am

Turn 116
> Let's see what the gods have provided us in the back of the supply closet, I guess.
> sneak in there and check out the rustling

Nyk stealthily clambers over the piles papers and boxes and discovers a tiny gremlin-like creature frantically sorting through stacks of forms.

"Wheerrrreee is it?? Boss's going to chop my ears off if I can't find it... Must find it! Gods! Where is it?!"
> Check out the file cabinet. Maybe we can find some authorization in there or some way to get to "C"...

Shuuk opens the filing cabinet and has a quick search through the drawers hoping to find something useful. Most of the drawers seem to contain personnel files with information about... people. Hey! You recognise this guy! These must be papers about the staff! Wonder what it all means though... The bottom drawer is a meticulously-organised chaos of badges. Each one has a symbol engraved onto it which probably relates to something both important and pointless. Each one is marked with either an orange or blue stripe though. That could be useful.
> Jorgen: march along quietly and memorize the song that is sung, as well as any other noises you hear

Jorgen follows where he is led, utterly fascinated by the song. Try as he might, he can't hold the words in his head, but the meaning is somehow as clear as crystal. The singer sings the song of the history of their people, starting with the first moment the Great K'thul discovered how to draw the magic out of the world and make use of it for the benefit of their people and showing the great works that their people built under his tutelage. They were scholars and teachers, and shared their knowledge freely with any who showed talent for using it. Great alliances were formed between the underground races and great works of art and engineering were built deep within the earth, including much of the city-labyrinth where the squarks were made, for the Sh'ki were creatures of the dark and deep and could channel their magic most easily there. Then, the song changes and the voice tells the story of a young child, abandoned by the sunlands and adopted by the Sh'ki. She was talented in magic, but grew spiteful and angry. Soon she desired to use her skill for more than building; sought to escape the darkness and claim the bright world above them as well as punishment for abandoning her to the caves. The Sh'ki tried to stop her, but she was strong and had learned her craft well and she escaped them, bringing war and fire to the Sunlands and devastation to the cities under the ground as punishment for trying to stop her. The skies burned, caverns crumbled and the Sh'ki were forced into the deepest tunnels of their domain where they have remained ever since, hiding their craft from the world, and waiting for the day when Merilla was no longer in command. Of course, never knew of her defeat and they stayed in hiding for generations, fed by the lies of their Ruler. Now that there is a chance to redeem themselves, the Sh'ki are desperate to try.

When the procession finally stops, the memory of the war Merilla brought to her people is burned into his mind with a deep bitterness. The others around him seem to have been similarly affected and the makeshift army is restless. When Jorgen's blindfold is removed he discovers that they are in a cleverly-concealed tunnel almost exactly where he, Shuuk and Nyk landed after that fiasco of an attempted execution.

Somewhere high above them a squark squarks and the roar of a battle echoes.

The redshirts meanwhile escaped the grue pit and brought the squarks safely back to the upper city where the battle is still in full swing as Merilla's army swarm the streets. Blonde guy takes the red squark through the tunnels back towards the underground sewage pond he somehow knows about. He'll arrive there next turn. Goldie looks terrified, and retreats to a ledge high above the city. Without Jorgen, she's not likely to be much use...

Pockets of resistance have sprung up where some of the humans have managed to rally to hold the forces back, but they don't look like they'll hold much longer. Three main battles catch the redshirts' attention: one group of humans and have found their way to an ancient hall where they're trying to make a defense against the monsters trying to break in. If they can hold on to it long enough, it looks big enough to house a lot of the remaining humans and should be pretty defensible. The defenders are tiring though and need help now if they're going to hold back the monster-army.

A second group are fighting fiercely under the City Duke's banner. Whatever else the man may have done, he is standing shoulder-to-shoulder with his guards now while they attempt to make a fighting retreat to the lower levels of the city with the majority of the surviving refugees. It's not clear where they're trying to get, but they look like they're just fighting to stay alive. The humans are being steadily overrun and it doesn't look like they'll be able to hold out much longer.

Finally, the Captain of the Guard is visible making his stand at one of the upper bridges, and are the closest of all the remaining humans to the sand trap room. He and his guards are fighting bravely, but they've been pushed back far already and are also weakening. If the monsters get across the bridge, they'll be able to spread much more easily down into the rest of the city and catch the rest of the Duke's force.

Two squarks and riders should be able to make a decisive difference to any one battle. Even one squark would be a benefit if you wish to split your forces, though the outcome would be less sure. Then again, you could do something else entirely. What do you want to do?

--------------------------------------------
► Show Spoiler
SHUUK
INVENTORY: Demon broker's business card, torn oversized white robes, Makeshift bone hammer, non-magnifying spyglass, bag from shrine (containing: book, scrap of paper with numbers, letter, talisman, pouch of silver powder), Runed Battleaxe, Barman's Best Friend, Red Orb of Spying, gold tooth shaving, tiny lump of sulphur, Wand Of Firestorm (5 Charges, fire-based area attack)..
WEARING: Light armour, deerskin trousers, leather boots, tunic, leather belt, mysterious brooch, greaves.
ABILITIES: Summon demon

bALTHAZAAR
INVENTORY: Giant, glowing magical sword
WEARING: Giant chainmail shirt

NYK
INVENTORY: 1 Slime-covered (probably poisonous) dagger, Lucky pebble, bag of dried berries, ALL the squark keys, Box of Duplication (contains Demon Brand).
WEARING: Prisoners rags, Helmet of Plus-A-Jillion (bucket), Ninja mask, silver whistle + key, Really Boring Cloak.
ABILITIES: Sneak, Unarmed Attack, Detect Evil, Protection from Evil (passive).

JORGEN
INVENTORY: Pair of dice, ukulele, crossbow & bolts, longsword.
WEARING: City Watch uniform (leather trousers & boots, scale armour shirt, red tabard).
ABILITIES: Bard Songs

Redshirts x6
INVENTORY: 3x Simple swords, 3x Leather Armour, Shield of Firewall.

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:32 pm

bALTHAZAR, slaughter all the opposing demon lawyers, and claim all the souls they've collected.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:50 pm

Hmm... Would it be possible to try and assist both the first and second group? As in, try to direct the second group to the first group, telling them that if they can, with their help reach said place they would have a position they could try and fortify until backup arrives? The duke might not like going with the squarks and all, but at the moment it's probably that or get slowly picked off by all the monsters.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:16 am

M0rtimer wrote:Hmm... Would it be possible to try and assist both the first and second group? As in, try to direct the second group to the first group, telling them that if they can, with their help reach said place they would have a position they could try and fortify until backup arrives? The duke might not like going with the squarks and all, but at the moment it's probably that or get slowly picked off by all the monsters.
My thought exactly. The second group needs to get to the first group, then they can help each other. Which might just leave us with sufficient resources to save the third group. Or at least take out the bridge.

Remind me what our resources are? bALT is out of action for the time being. Shuuk and Nyk are in the extradimensional staging area. So what do we have on the ground? Jorgen, six redshirts, the army from the depths, and how many squarks? If Jorgen calls Goldie, he'll have one. The red squark is with the redshirts. Where's Concorde? Can we get her to help? And is Jorgen's army in position to do anything, or do they have too far to go? I've lost track of who's where.

But it seems like we should get the red team to turn back and help out down below. Jorgen and his new friends are much closer to the sewer cave, anyway. Maybe one of them will feel better about spelunking.

Elsewhere:

Nyk, offer to help the little guy find what he needs.

Shuuk, flip through the filing cabinet. Orange looks like mook level clearance. See if you can find out if clearance level blue is any better. And, while you're at it, see if you can find someone who looks vaguely like your current demonic appearance.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:48 am

Ok, your battle resources are:

Battle Status
The humans are losing. The monster army is pushing them deeper down into the city, but most of the fighting is still happening in the mid levels.

Squarks
Goldie [frightened]: Won't participate in anything without Jorgen, and even then a full-on battle might be too much for her.
Redberry: Carrying blonde guy to the sewer tunnel thing.
Concorde: Above the city; available & ready to go.
The Green One: Above the city; available & ready to go.

Jorgen
With the Sh'ki army at the very bottom of the city.

Redshirts
You have 5 available; each squark can carry 2 riders max.

Balt
Currently queuing in the legal dept. in some obscure part of the Pit. Likely to be away for some time.

Shuuk & Nyk
Through the portal.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:24 am

Jorgen: Call Goldie. Soothe her. Mount up and direct the Sh'ki to climb up towards the battle. Ask them what they think they can do. Also, ask if there's anyone willing to brave a sewer pipe. Maybe Jorgen and Goldie can fly someone up once the battle is looking a little more under control.

Red team: Turn back, make for the bridge. Effect a dramatic rescue. Give the guards room to pull back, then see if you can block or destroy the bridge.

Concorde: Pick up some redshirts, make for the Duke. Help them retreat towards the Hall.

Green team: Pick up redshirts, defend the Hall.

Thinks: Take a deep breath. You don't have to draw everything. And hopefully the humans can meet up in a single location soon.

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:07 am

@ wears - it's cool, I enjoy drawing stuff and it's more fun for me if I can do half-decent images to go along with the text. I'd feel like I was half-assing it otherwise and that's not something I want to do. Not every time at least! Anyway, it's a lot easier now I'm using photoshop instead of paint.

friedkitty
Voices Opinions

Post by friedkitty » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:53 am

WearsHats wrote: But it seems like we should get the red team to turn back and help out down below. Jorgen and his new friends are much closer to the sewer cave, anyway. Maybe one of them will feel better about spelunking.
Well, Blondie's the only one going, the rest of the redshirts should go back, but since Blondie's about to be there anyway, why send him in circles? I say let him continue to the sewer, and the other redshirts hitch a ride with the squarks and head to the bridge.

I agree with the file thing. Wears has a good point. If you can pose as staff, you may get somewhere.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:26 am

Good point. Let's do that, then.

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:29 am

Going to try and get an update of this out over the weekend as well if I can, so if you guys have any more ideas then get them in quick :)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:13 am

Afternoon folks! Remember this?

Well if anyone still wants to play, it's open to all and will be resuming this weekend! There's a fairly substantial backstory to catch up on if you're interested, but I'll post a summary of the story so far once I've reread it myself.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:15 am

Or...we could start over...just a suggestion of course...with your art and our skills at getting into horrible situations..it could become epic.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:21 am

I remember! And I'm very excited! And I would prefer to get a proper ending to this story (which I find pretty epic so far) than to us starting over. But that's just me.
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:24 am

I suppose a large part of my suggestion hinges on me having no clue what is going on anymore...i remember a dragon...and thats about all..

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:29 am

It's an option, but it wouldn't happen for a while (I'm really looking to finish the games I'm running / get back to the GAL, not make more big ones). Saying that, if there's no interest in playing this any more then that's totally fine too. Well just play by ear and see what happens. I'm rereading it all now myself and will post an updated summary tonight. After that I'll do the next update and if people want to play, they can come and play.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:30 am

Yay! It's back! This was one of my favorite games. I'd love to see it finally wrapped up.

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Escape! (Turn 117)

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:47 am

► Show Spoiler
Turn 117

The Battle for the City

> Would it be possible to try and assist both the first and second group?
> The second group needs to get to the first group, then they can help each other.
> Concorde (purple squark): Pick up some redshirts, make for the Duke. Help them retreat towards the Hall.
> Green team: Pick up redshirts, defend the Hall.

The consensus over strategy appears to be to get as many people up to the hall as possible so they can mount a better defence, and from their aerial vantage point the Redshirts are in a perfect position to bring the groups together. Concorde heads to the Duke and joins in the battle, scattering monsters into the abyss below. The green squark dives to the Hall where under the command of the Redshirts, they are able to take care of enough of the monstrous army to allow the defenders to regroup.

Concorde leads the Duke's group up towards the Hall. With a bit of luck, they should be able to make it.

Unfortunately, without assistance the Captain of the Guard and his group of soldiers is eventually overrun by Merilla's forces. The bridge is lost, and the monsters will start arriving more quickly and in greater numbers from the upper levels unless something else can be done to stop them.

Far below, the Sh'ki army begin to chant and levitate upwards towards the city and the battle above. Jorgen, without their magic, is left behind, although he doesn't have to wait long before Goldie appears. He can feel her terror of the battle raging above them, but she seems determined to be a part of it if she can.

You have three squarks and a wizard army available to you. Where would you like to send them?

At the Sewage Pool

The red squark and two of the Redshirts arrive at the sewage pool where Shuuk and Navi found an underwater tunnel waaaaaaay back at the start of the game. The squark can't fit down there, but the two guards probably can. Of course, where the tunnel goes is anyone's guess...

In Merilla's Lair (Personnel Office)

> Shuuk, flip through the filing cabinet. Orange looks like mook level clearance. See if you can find out if clearance level blue is any better. And, while you're at it, see if you can find someone who looks vaguely like your current demonic appearance.
> I agree with the file thing. Wears has a good point. If you can pose as staff, you may get somewhere.

In the office, Shuuk checks through the files. There are a LOT of them, though he is eventually able to find a couple of monsters who look a bit like him and Nyk. There are a couple of rather obvious problems with them though and all of the files he can find appear to be clearance level Orange. Maybe he can make this work somehow...

Nyk, offer to help the little guy find what he needs.

Nyk clambers up the boxes and calls down to the little guy.

"Hi there! Do you need some help? My ma said I was rubbish at finding stuff, but I bet I'm not!"
"Gah! Who are you?! Oh I don't have time! I need to find form 3865q/iii or else we won't be able to send out the winged battalions! I know it's in this pile of forms somewhere, but I can't find it!! The boss'll have my ears for this!"
"Well I don't know what a battle lion is but it sounds scary! It's not a monster is it? I don't like them very much."
"Me neither kid, but it's more than my job's worth to screw this up! They've got to be deployed in the next 5 minutes or they'll chop my wings off!"
"Chop your WINGS off?! They don't sound like very nice people. I wish I had wings. I could have got them, but Shuuk said I wasn't allowed to be a dragon so I'm a ninja instead."

Meanwhile, in the Pit

> bALTHAZAR, slaughter all the opposing demon lawyers, and claim all the souls they've collected.

bALT fantasises about murdering everyone in the legal department, but decides that that will probably only delay things even more. Surprisingly, a buzzer above the front desk pings and his name is announced over the tannoy system. Everyone in front of him in the decades-long queue grumbles at the unfairness of everything as Balt squeezes his way forwards. This MUST be important!

----------------------------------------

SHUUK
INVENTORY: Demon broker's business card, torn oversized white robes, Makeshift bone hammer, non-magnifying spyglass, bag from shrine (containing: book, scrap of paper with numbers, letter, talisman, pouch of silver powder), Runed Battleaxe, Barman's Best Friend, Red Orb of Spying, gold tooth shaving, tiny lump of sulphur, Wand Of Firestorm (5 Charges, fire-based area attack)..
WEARING: Light armour, deerskin trousers, leather boots, tunic, leather belt, mysterious brooch, greaves.
ABILITIES: Summon demon

bALTHAZAAR
INVENTORY: Giant, glowing magical sword
WEARING: Giant chainmail shirt

NYK
INVENTORY: 1 Slime-covered (probably poisonous) dagger, Lucky pebble, bag of dried berries, ALL the squark keys, Box of Duplication (contains Demon Brand).
WEARING: Prisoners rags, Helmet of Plus-A-Jillion (bucket), Ninja mask, silver whistle + key, Really Boring Cloak.
ABILITIES: Sneak, Unarmed Attack, Detect Evil, Protection from Evil (passive).

JORGEN
INVENTORY: Pair of dice, ukulele, crossbow & bolts, longsword.
WEARING: City Watch uniform (leather trousers & boots, scale armour shirt, red tabard).
ABILITIES: Bard Songs

Redshirts x6
INVENTORY: 3x Simple swords, 3x Leather Armour, Shield of Firewall.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:18 am

hurray for the return of Escape!

Jorgen and squwarks (and whatever redshirts are with them): try to do something about the bridge situation. E.g. get rocks and drop them on the monsters from above or kick stalactites loose to drop down on them or the like, to keep them from advancing as much/best as you can.
Try to secure the retreat and regrouping of the humans.
One person should try and co-ordinate the efforts with the captain - if we can find him - but preferably no one sentenced to death (like Shuuk was, and I don't remember who else).

Redshirts at sewage pool: draw straws, one of them stays with squark for safetly, the other one checks out the underwater tunnel. Hold your breath and best of luck!

Shuuk: nick those IDs, remember the names, practice the signature. Look for a blue pen or something, maybe we can rewrite the orange clearance...

Nyk: help look for the form. Also point out that with wings, the little guy might be able to fly away, perhaps, if he doesn't manage to find it in time?

bALT: follow the summons. flip your finger off the the assembled lawyer demons as you go. Because you CAN. o:)
► Show Spoiler

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:11 pm

Actually, bALTHAZAR, why don't you ask those other demons which of them want to be taken care of before your case gets handled. Those that say they want to be taken care of have given you permission to take care of them, so feel free to do so.

They'll soon enough stop complaining about you going first.

One of the Redshirts should gather uniforms to send to Merilla's army, if possible editting the shirts to say, "I SERVED IN MERILLA'S ARMY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY UNIFORM!" Might as well get the power of the shirts to work for us.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:51 am

Any more suggestions? I'll update tomorrow either way.

EDIT: Unexpectedly going out tonight so will update this one tomorrow :) See you then!

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:27 pm

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:45 pm

Sorry. I do hope you weren't holding the game up on my account.

I mostly concur with Gathers. Additional:

Have the wizards split: The bulk of them to defend the humans in their cavern, but a few to blast the bridge. Right now, having that thing there is just a liability. We can ferry people with squarks when the dust settles, but only if they're still alive to be ferried. Knock the bridge down, and they've got a much better chance.

With that in mind: I'm tempted to tell Nyk not to find the form. Sorry to the poor bureaucrat, but having the winged battalions show up to slaughter the humans, bridge or no bridge, would be a disaster. Then again, we do have a bunch of squarks and flying wizards and if that bureaucrat can get Nyk and bALT to where Merilla is, then we can end this whole thing. I'm just not sure how the odds are there...

(I do hope the thing where Nyk's fake ID says he hates tieflings and Balt's ID says he is one won't be an issue. But they can always pretend to have one of those buddy cop situations where the people who hate each other are stuck together by the higher-ups. Which I wouldn't put past the demon army at all.)

► Show Spoiler